PDA

View Full Version : The Best Thing About Venus Losing...

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:17 AM
Is That Serena will be twice as determined to defend her title. I'm actually hoping now that meg gets to the final with serena so I can see some sisterly justice done! GO SERENA, better luck next time vee.

AjdeNate!
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:19 AM
I think the best thing about Venus losing, will be watching Kim win the title and grab #2 ranking.

:)

tennischick
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:19 AM
Serena doesn't need Venus to lose to get motivated. the girl was born motivated. ;)

BK4ever
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:22 AM
I said this in another thread and I'll say it again

If this terrible loss does not make Venus work on her second serve then nothing will. Nothing about it has changed since I saw her Aussie Open matches :fiery:

Janet
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:35 AM
Venus is not going to work on nothing you know she only pratices
she will just have this lost in her back pocket......and then watch and
see how many times she loses this year!!!! venus is a person if things not going her way in the match she does say her oppent is have a great match of her life!!!!!!

1jackson2001
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:37 AM
Hopefully this loss will be a slap in the face for her :p

selesfan
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:40 AM
I said this in another thread and I'll say it again

If this terrible loss does not make Venus work on her second serve then nothing will. Nothing about it has changed since I saw her Aussie Open matches :fiery:

I didn't have a good feeling about this match, I thought Venus looked tense when she played Gagliardi, she wasn't her usual stoic self. Sometimes I get the feeling that she doesn't care as much as she used to. I hope this loss will wake her up.

1jackson2001
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:44 AM
I didn't have a good feeling about this match, I thought Venus looked tense when she played Gagliardi, she wasn't her usual stoic self. Sometimes I get the feeling that she doesn't care as much as she used to. I hope this loss will wake her up.

I thought she looked rusty too..maybe a lil too much. She seemed to play at a level below what she usually does. I guess today her level was even lower..and Meghann played extremely well and capitalized on it breadstick style! :eek: ;) :o :angel:

Simplify
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:21 AM
I think Venus has too many distractions off the court and she is paying the fee for them.
I totally agree. She just doesn't seem to be interested in tennis at the moment.

I've read several "maybe this will be a wakeup call" comments here after certain losses. Maybe it's time for people to realize this loss just like the others won't be a wakeup call. She isn't even signed up for another tourney until May, I think. Where is the motivation?

maccardel
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:28 AM
I think the best thing about Venus losing is that now I can really cheer CHANDA on the final. I want to see a Shaughnessy and Rubin semifinal. Now I think the tourney is getting excited.

I think that Clijsters will be motivated to see Serena eliminated.

CJ07
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:30 AM
oh i hope Meg gets to the final and losses 0-6 0-6

that would be great!

Richie77
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:30 AM
I totally agree. She just doesn't seem to be interested in tennis at the moment.

I've read several "maybe this will be a wakeup call" comments here after certain losses. Maybe it's time for people to realize this loss just like the others won't be a wakeup call. She isn't even signed up for another tourney until May, I think. Where is the motivation?

Yeah...I think Venus might be questioning her place in the women's tennis world. She's at an awkward position...No. 2 in the world, ranked only below her younger sister, whom she now can't beat. Venus has always struck me as an introspective, reflective person, so where she is in tennis has to be weighing on her mind.

I'm sure there are about a thousand "Maybe" scenarios that can be thought up as to why Venus seems disinterested in tennis. But to go through them all would be a waste of time. I hope Venus can figure out what she wants to do in terms of both tennis and her own life.

doloresc
Mar 25th, 2003, 11:54 AM
i'm intrigued by the tone of a funeral dirge for venus on this thread. looking at past seasons, there is evidence that venus is not one to go into slumps. that's her strength and always has been. she lost to a better player yesterday. she accepted that (as demonstrated in her post-match interview) and will move on. i realize that she needs to solve the serena domination but i'm definitely not writing venus off this season. she has to tweak a couple of things in her game but she's still a contender.

GogoGirl
Mar 25th, 2003, 01:44 PM
I will admit that I thought Venus would pull this one out. I am a fan so I was pulling for her. But - Meghann was not to be denied. She had a game plan - and she simply took it to Venus. Whether Venus was fully on form or not is not the thing. The thing is - Meghann wanted it more -believed she could win it - and decided to play to the very best of her ability. One shouldn't worry about another's ability - but concentrate on one's own.

Venus will be back. And if Kim becomes number 2 - then good for Kim. Venus has been there and done that - and if she stays in the league - then she will most likely get there again.

In a way this is a good loss for Venus - and not for the standard wake-up-call sort of speak - but because my girl loves a challenge. She knows she won't reach number one this year - so she will and should just go back to what........? She should go back to just trying to play her best and win her matches. That's all any player can do.

Bravo to Megahnn. She was and is sooooo happy. The players feel it is some kind of coup to beat a Sister - so she deserves her happy feeling. She earned it. Just like the Sisters were soooo happy when they would beat the top players years ago.

Please - no gloom or doom for Venus. Venus will get on a roll again sooner than later in terms of wins and losses.

"CONGRATS MEGHANN" "YOU'LL BE BACK VENUS"

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/5474444.htm

Posted on Tue, Mar. 25, 2003

It's curtains for Venus
Williams saves eight match points but can't avoid upset by Shaughnessy
BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN
sdegnan@herald.com

More photos

OVER AND OUT: Second-ranked Venus Williams grimaces during her 7-6 (7-2), 6-1 loss Monday night to 22nd-ranked Meghann Shaughnessy. 'She played real well and stayed in there,' Williams said. 'It's back to the drawing board.' C.W. GRIFFIN / HERALD STAFF

There will be no Sister Act Part III this year at the NASDAQ-100 Open.

World No. 2 Venus Williams saved eight match points, then succumbed on the ninth Monday night, as 22nd-ranked Meghann Shaughnessy of Scottsdale, Ariz., upset Williams 7-6 (7-2), 6-1 at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park.

''These are the moments I play tennis for,'' said a beaming Shaughnessy, 23, who will meet fifth-ranked Jennifer Capriati on Wednesday in a quarterfinal. ``I live for these times, and that's what all my training goes into. So I'm feeling really, really happy right now.''

She should. Williams, 22, has been in the last two of three Key Biscayne finals, losing to sister Serena last year and in 1999. Venus has won 29 singles titles, including four Grand Slams.

''You know, it's impossible to win every match,'' Williams said. ``I tried. But I couldn't seem to get the ball to go in today.

``She played real well and stayed in there. It's back to the drawing board.''

Before Monday night's upset, so fast and furiously had the top women at the NASDAQ steamrolled along, that Serena Williams conceded she sometimes loses focus. ''Sometimes it happens when you're winning like I won in the first set,'' said Serena, who disposed of Iroda Tulyaganova 6-0, 6-4 in 59 minutes Monday.

''Would I like to be challenged more? No, no, definitely not,'' Serena said. ``Who wouldn't want to have a 30-minute match and go home?''

Serena Williams will meet 18-year-old qualifier Marion Bartoli of France in today's afternoon quarterfinal. Bartoli sent everyone scrambling to find something -- anything -- about her when she defeated seventh-ranked Lindsay Davenport, who pulled her right hamstring in their second game Monday and later retired. Bartoli, whose father put aside his career as a medical doctor to become her full-time coach, has defeated a wild card, lucky loser, qualifier and the ailing Davenport.

In other top women's matches, Capriati beat Sarah Taylor 6-1, 6-0, in 56 minutes, and third-ranked Kim Clijsters trounced No. 15 seed Anna Pistolesi 6-1, 6-1 in 54 minutes.

On the men's side, world No. 2 Andre Agassi did his own quick work. Agassi thoroughly pounded No. 32 seed Jarkko Nieminen of Finland 6-2, 6-0 in 59 minutes to advance to today's late-night round-of-16 match against 70th-ranked Mark Philippoussis of Australia.

Philippoussis, 26, played a three-set thriller Monday against Thomas Enqvist of Sweden. The match took 2 hours 28 minutes and began with two split tiebreakers before the Aussie took charge with the decisive 6-3 third set. Philippoussis then teamed with Lleyton Hewitt in doubles about an hour later but lost to Andy Roddick and Robby Ginepri 7-6 (7-4), 6-3.

''It's a tough situation, because you want to play doubles to get some match play,'' Philippoussis said. ``But then all of a sudden, you're playing some good tennis in long matches, and it's like you don't need the match play and you just want to rest.''

Philippoussis has defeated Agassi once but has lost to him the past five matches.

''The last time I played him was in San Jose [in February],'' he said. ''He played great. The biggest thing for me is [to not] overplay when [I play] him,'' Philippoussis said. ``That's one thing I don't want to do.''

Also Monday, French Open champion Albert Costa of Spain, the ninth seed, wore down Nicolas Massu of Chile with a 90-minute first set to win 7-6 (8-6), 6-2, despite a partisan Chilean crowd. And No. 14 seed Sjeng Schalken of the Netherlands, last year's U.S. Open semifinalist, defeated Franco Squillari of Argentina 6-4, 7-5.

World No. 4 Roger Federer of Switzerland defeated No. 30 seed Juan Ignacio Chela of Argentina 6-1, 3-6, 6-1.

But it was the late-night match that brought most of the night-session crowd of 10,473 to its feet.

After pulling out the first-set tiebreaker, Shaughnessy, ranked as high as 11th last year, cruised to a 5-0 lead in the second set. Williams saved four match points in the next game to bring it to 5-1.

With Shaughnessy serving for the match, Williams repeatedly fought to survive. At 40-0, Shaughnessy's volley hit the net. At 40-30, Shaughnessy hit a forehand deep. At ad-in, Venus hit a beautiful forehand passing shot to bring it back to deuce. After another exchange of points, Venus hit a forehand into the net to make it ad-out and match point No. 9.

With the crowed screaming, Shaughnessy served and Williams returned it way long.

Game. Set. Match.

''I definitely took a little bit too long to finish it there,'' said Shaughnessy, who has beaten Williams once in five matches. ``There was a little bit of relief there, because there was so much tension in the end.''

harloo
Mar 25th, 2003, 01:56 PM
PLEASE People Megan is NOT getting to the FINAL. Capriati will send her home packing which will prove that she had one good day. People act as if Vee has not struggled against Megan before. She struggled against Megan at the USO, but got through. She lost to Megan at BOTWC, and now here. I think Vee's game does not match up with Megan's well for some reason. We know we can say that about alot of players though.

Also, when one sister goes down the other one gets more motivated.

Serena, step up and defend your title. Shut everyone the hell up!!!

AjdeNate!
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:07 PM
According to most people, Meghann was NOT going to win against Venus.... so, I think speculating on her fate the final weekend is a bit premature and misguided.

Dava
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:10 PM
That it wont be a Williams Williams final again, I just hope its not an all Belguim final though, cos that will be just as bad, come on Chanda you can do it.

HellanSpicen
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:21 PM
It's funny you guys are so pathetic. Reading these comments, it seems that many of you don't have a life. Do you really know that Venus isn't working or trying to correct her problems. As an athelte it doesn't always come around as quickly as you would like. It takes time to change or improve your game. Damn, she has been to four finlas, i sure she wants to improve your not on the practice courts watching her every move or knowing what she is practicing on. These last couple of years, in tennis has shown us that really thier isn't that a dominant number one in tennis. Hell, even Serena is vulnerable. saying Venus is headed for retirement is very premature. Jennifer lost in the first round a couple of times, but none suggest retirement for her. I can see if she has been outplayed playing her best tennis. But most of her matches including her grand slams finlas have come with her basically giving points away.
She is a player who can become much more solid. We all have seen Serena threshold. Kim we know her best. Venus has not played her bestt yet in the last tournments, yet she made the final. People are too quick to assume. The Venus and Serena domination also(premature,), Serena wining every slam in the nest few years(premature), Let's just let them play

eshell
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:51 PM
I hate that Venus lost but another American doing well makes me happy. Maybe now we can leave the talk about the Williams Sisters dominating and focus more on each of their individual achievements.

I would like to see Serena win but I'm glad that the tour remains competitive.

harloo
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:13 PM
According to most people, Meghann was NOT going to win against Venus.... so, I think speculating on her fate the final weekend is a bit premature and misguided.

Well, I was not one of those people. I always knew that Megan somehow matched Venus's game well.

And don't alot of people around here speculate? Huh? I do feel that Megan will not make it to the Final. Now if I'm wrong I will have to eat crow like everyone else. :rolleyes:

harloo
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Hell, even Serena is vulnerable. People are too quick to assume. The Venus and Serena domination also(premature,), Serena wining every slam in the nest few years(premature), Let's just let them play

Sorry HellanSpicen, but any player including Serena is vulnerable. However I have to disagree with you when you say their is no clear dominant no.1. IMO, Serena is the only won who has proven that she is clearly no.1. Vee, Jen, and Lindsay have not been able to hold the position.

Also, everyone is not PATHETIC for wanting Venus to improve her serve and focus on tennis. They are just fans wanting the best for Vee, but maybe it's not her priority. My wish is that Vee will be happy in whatever she decides to do, but you need to remember we are discussing tennis here and while I don't expect anything out of her I would hope that she can improve on the weak areas in her game.

mentos
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Is That Serena will be twice as determined to defend her title. I'm actually hoping now that meg gets to the final with serena so I can see some sisterly justice done! GO SERENA, better luck next time vee.

Is that maybe it'll somehow (fingers crossed) get Venus and some of her more unobjective fans out of their comfort zone. You can't just walk on the court with a jacked up second serve and schizophrenic forehand, after practicing in ever decreasing intervals and having varying off court distractions, and expect to win every time out. She's talented, yes. She's physically gifted, yes. But so are the other players charging up from behind.
The combination of physical gifts and talent worked great for over a better part of three years-but it's time to up the ante-which means a greater level of commitment. Losing to Serena four times consecutively was neither fluke nor carefully arranged gift basket. If this trend, in addition to the few hiccups she's sustained this season is to end, then Venus has to cease being her own worst enemy, tennis-wise.
I'm neither melancholy nor disappointed by this loss to Meghann, whom, from all accounts, played awesome, well-devised tennis. Kudos to her!
mentos :wavey:

tennisfan1972
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:17 PM
The best thing about Venus losing is that she will be on oposite sides of the Roland Garros Draw than Justine Henin. Good planning Venus.

cooolconchita
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:18 PM
it's great for the tour that veus lost as it shows that the williams sisters aren't indestructable. meghann is a GOOD player, who beat a GREAT player of an off-day.

2 years ago, Vee beat players whether she was on or off, but time moves on, you can't expect everyone to play at their best for ever, just ask martina, monica, conchita or lindsay :o

G_Slammed
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:17 PM
I wish that I could get mentos post to Venus and Richard Williams.