PDA

View Full Version : Nasdaq Articles: Davenport injured; Capriati Crushes Taylor; Rubin Routs Mauresmo

tennisIlove09
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Injured Davenport Bows Out Of Nasdaq-100 Open

By Richad Pagliaro
03/24/2003

Lindsay Davenport's right thigh was taped as her Nasdaq-100 Open hopes came unraveled today. The seventh seeded Davenport, hobbled by a right hamstring strain, retired from her fourth round match against Marion Bartoli after the French qualifier won the first set, 6-0.

Trailing 5-0, Davenport received treatment for the injury and played one more game before deciding to call it quits.

Davenport, who dismissed coach and future brother-in-law Rick Leach before the tournament began, said she strained the injury last night and aggravated it in the second game of today's match.

"I think I pulled it a little last night and when I woke up today it was really tight," Davenport said. "I had it taped up to go out today, but in the second game I pulled it again and it just got worse from there."

It was the sixth straight victory for Bartoli, who won two matches in qualifying to reach the main draw and has beaten Maria Antonia Sanchez Lorenzo, Evie Dominikovic, Ally Baker and Davenport to advance to the final eight. Bartoli caught a break early in the tournament when her scheduled second-round opponent, 10th-seeded Monica Seles, withdrew from the tournament with a foot injury.

The 87th-ranked Bartoli may face her toughest test yet in the quarterfinals where she would play defending champion Serena Williams should the top seed beat Iroda Tulyaganova in her fourth round match later today.

"I am looking forward to seeing what it's like playing the world number one," Bartoli said.

While Bartoli is often overlooked — the 2003 WTA Tour Media Guide doesn't even contain a bio of Bartoli — she produced an accomplished junior career, claiming the 2001 U.S. Open girls title and winning the 2001 Orange Bowl on the same Crandon Park courts that host the Nasdaq-100 Open.

tennisIlove09
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Capriati Crushes Taylor To Advance To Nasdaq-100 Quarterfinals

By Richard Pagliaro
03/25/2003

Tested in tiebreaks in the opening sets of her last two matches, Jennifer Capriati was determined to make a statement from the outset of her fourth-round match against Sarah Taylor today. The sixth-seeded Capriati produced both a strong start and fast finish in crushing Taylor, 6-1, 6-0 at the Nasdaq-100 Open.

"I learned from the last two matches that I needed to start off better," Capriati said. "I feel pretty confident right now. I really really I'm hitting the ball well and I'm where I'd like to be right now."

The 26-year-old Capriati cracked 12 forehand winners and overpowered Taylor in the baseline exchanges. Capriati's sometime shaky serve was sound throughout as she did not surrender serve in the match, while breaking Taylor five times. Capriati is trying to complement her prodigious power with an even more important ingredient for success — staying power.

As she seeks to extend her stay in the tournament, Capriati awaits the winner of tonight's fourth-round match between second-seeded Venus Williams and 23rd-seeded Meghann Shaughnessy. Seeking her first tournament title since the 2002 Australian Open, Capriati will probably have to beat both Williams sisters to win it. It is not an easy task — the two-time Australian Open champion has seen her Miami title dreams dissolve at the hands of the Williams sisters in each of the past two years.

Venus saved seven match points to beat Capriati in the 2001 final. Fighting off seven set points in the second set, Serena conquered Capriati 7-5, 7-6(4) in a battle of fellow Floridians in the 2002 final. While Capriati has consistently played Serena tough in their recent encounters, the top-ranked Williams has won six straight matches against Capriati and Venus is undefeated against Capriati.

Her record against the world's top two players doesn't offer much comfort to Capriati. She doesn't sound very comfortable discussing the Williams' sisters dominance and knows that given their past history results matter more than remarks.

"Obviously, they're great players and they definitely intimidate people a lot," Capriati said. "I don't really like talking about their dominance; I just want to go out and do the best I can."

tennisIlove09
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Rubin Routs Mauresmo To Reach Miami Quarterfinals

By Richard Pagliaro
03/25/2003

From her low crouch behind the baseline, Chanda Rubin pounced on serves and punished returns that often eluded the extended arm of Amelie Mauresmo. Investing in aggression yielded rewarding returns for Rubin, who routed the eighth-seeded Mauresmo, 6-0, 6-2 today to advance to the Nasdaq-100 Open quarterfinals in Miami.

U.S. Open semifinalist Mauresmo connected on 70 percent of her first serves, but Rubin won 26 of the 37 points played on Mauresmo's serve. The 1996 Miami runner-up broke Mauresmo's serve six times to secure a spot in the quarterfinals where she will play either fourth-seeded Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne or Germany's Marlene Weingartner.

The 12th-seeded Rubin, who had a first-round bye, has surrendered just 13 games in her three tournament victories.

auntie janie
Mar 25th, 2003, 12:06 AM
all from Tennis Week, I presume -- thanks for posting them, tennisIlove09 ! :kiss:

tennischick
Mar 25th, 2003, 12:20 AM
Chanda!! :kiss:

too bad for Lindsay. her troubles accumulate :(

oh well Sarah, it was great while it lasted...;)