PDA

View Full Version : Where is Jane O'Donoghue? Navratilova's prediction last years @ Wimbledon.

CanadianBoy21
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Martina Navratilova predicted top 50 for the girl Jane by this years Wimbledon, this was predicted last year against Venus 1st round Wimbledon.
I have not heard anything about the girl since, as I only follow the top ten players, and mostly the top two, but I am interested in what hapened to her, what her results are. She looked VERY promising.
Martina usually has a good eye for youngsters, has she blown this one?

CanadianBoy21
Mar 24th, 2003, 09:00 PM
I jsut realized the last sentence, but don't feel like editing... If you thought perverted, get your mind out of the gutter. :P

John Inverdale
Mar 24th, 2003, 09:06 PM
She's British. Which is a sticking point when tennis is concerned. You see, the LTA spends all its money on (a) Tim (b) Sue Barker's fees and (c) Kournikova Korner (with a K, not a C).

So unfortunately, anymore who looks slightly promising, is sent to Tims dentist so they can look worse.

And then but only then can the BBC show wall-to-wall Henman and Kournikova coverage which was rudely interrupted last year by Elena Baltacha. The bitch.

Jordan.
Mar 24th, 2003, 09:07 PM
lol..

She said herself in an interview, that she will be a late bloomer, being shes only been playing about 5 years. :) Go Jane!

BritBoy
Mar 24th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Jane has improved slightly over the last year and hopefully she'll get a draw at Wimbledon where she could win a round or two. Realistically though, I think Elena B and Anne K are the best chances we have of getting a British girl into the top 100. I can't see Jane making it past the top 150 but I hope she proves me wrong. :)

tyk101
Mar 24th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Last time I saw she was lingering in the 250-300 range...
E. Baltacha and A. Keothavong are the only hopers... A. K is closing in on E Baltacha in the rankings...

brunof
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:20 PM
What's Anne's ethnic background?

kournikovafan13
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Anne is originally from Laos

-Sonic-
Mar 25th, 2003, 12:09 AM
After every first round match when someone low ranked plays a seed, its almost obligatory to say that she's got the top 100 or 50 whatever rank is way higher that they are now potential... very rarely happens though.

I have no idea if she said that comment on the BBC at all, but if she did, I think unless the commentators don't mention some british prospect every 5 minutes and hype them up a little, no matter how unrealistic, they get fired or don't get some bonus. Its sweet.

JoeyWinson3.0
Mar 25th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Jane's main problem is she is from Wigan, now when have you heard of any famous people from there?

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 25th, 2003, 01:27 AM
Where is Jane you ask ??

she's currently in Rome
playing a $10K starting tomorrow

Jane is #3 seed.

Gowza
Mar 25th, 2003, 01:32 AM
what made Navratilova say this about jane? i didn't see the match but she must have done something pretty well to get that sort of reaction from Navratilova

Zummi
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:38 AM
Martina has played against Jane in an exhibition match. So she had a good idea about her game before the match against Venus at Wimbledon last year.

At Wimbledon 2001, she did predict Hantuchova making the top 20 within a year so she got that right.

King Lindsay
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:48 AM
at Wimbledon 2001, my dad said much the same thing. This is a man who has seen about 10 tennis matches in his life. Knew hantuchova was a keeper from the start.