PDA

View Full Version : If Jennifer Capriati continues playing good like she is now can she become #1 again?

selesadmirer
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Do you think Jennifer can become number 1 again...She is playing very good recently and i think it is possible..What do you think?

c2
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:26 PM
yes! she can do it :kiss: She's gonna have to work out like heck, and stay mentally strong but she can do it!

Mark43
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:28 PM
I totally agree with c2. Jen looked wonderful today. All she needs is to win a few big matches and get back into her Spring '01 shape. her serve looked great this afternoon.

TeeRexx
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Thread answer: NO.

hinquit
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:44 PM
Since Martina Hingis abused the number #1 position for so long by playing too many tournaments to keep it, I don't have interest in the
ranking business again.
Tennis is a career for these girls. Who wants to be just #1 without
winning any big tournament. I don't think Jen. is concerned about this
ranking business too much. She was there and going back or not
doesn't matter to her I suppose. The same way Venus doesn't care
about rankings.

Tratree
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Mark, after seeing all her matches last week at IW, I think she just needs the one big win to get her confidence back up to the '01 form. As bad as her serve can be, she was still one break away from beating Lindsay in IW. The confidence will help her serve, which will help her confidence, which will help her game, etc....you get the picture :)

Xavier_Malisse
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:46 PM
Never count out Jen. She has the ability to do anything. [size=1Especially wearing me out.[/size]

JenRockz!

WtaTour4Ever
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Guess anything is possible but she would need to be more consistent and win some tourbny's first imho.

Volcana
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:50 PM
No. She has to play better than she played when she was #1. Serena, Kim and Justine are all better, and she never beat Venus. Yesterday's good-enough-to-be-#1 is today's maybe-the-top-five.

Serendy Willick
Jen has been impressive and should her and Venus meet in the quarters, it is going to be a huge match. Venus will most certainly have to been on her game mentally and physically.

JCAP
Is Jen anything is possible :eek: A few more wins under her belt and who knows!! :worship:

Tratree
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:51 PM
I should also say, I don't think #1 is a reasonable expectation at the moment. Serena is firmly ensconced at the moment unless she can't defend all her slams this year (not all that likely). I would like to see Jen pull back up to the pack right behind Rena though. No reason why she shouldn't be in there.

RAA
Mar 24th, 2003, 09:06 PM
I think top 3 is more realistic. certainly she can pull back into the top 5.

the thing is, I don't think that Jen really liked being #1. She seems to me to really relish the underdog role, rather than the front runner. I think she was still hungry when she was #1, but the expectations were too much. I think she's looser without the #1 ranknig and that helps her game.

she needs to get that serve more consistent...I feel like it lets her down too often.

at this point, though, I can't see anything that Jen does that Serena and Venus don't do better. so top 3 is more realistic than #1.

Seenus
Mar 24th, 2003, 09:16 PM
Ditto
No. She has to play better than she played when she was #1. Serena, Kim and Justine are all better, and she never beat Venus. Yesterday's good-enough-to-be-#1 is today's maybe-the-top-five.
Way better!

ico4498
Mar 24th, 2003, 09:21 PM
Too early to tell. Lets see if she can win a few tourneys first. She sure looked good today!

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 24th, 2003, 09:27 PM
maybe, but probably not...

harloo
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:28 PM
I feel that Jen is at the same level as Davenport. They have just much of a chance to beat the top players, but the top 4 have some abilities that are much stronger.

Davenport use to only struggle with the Williams, and Hingis occasionally. The Williams(particularly Serena) because of the speed.
Now, since Kim is in the picture add one more too the list. And her confidence has been hampered by losing to these three so much, it's spilling over into other matches with players that Lindsay should beat.

Jen at first struggled with Venus, but now since Rena is not choking she has not beaten her. IMO, Jen struggles with someone who has a bigger serve and who can expose her serve. For example, she cannot handle Davenport even though she is faster than her. Now it's spilling over into her other matches. For example Justine use to not be able to do anything to Capriati(besides ousting her at Wimby), but she hasn't looked back after beating Jen on clay) never looked back. Now look at Mauresmo because at first Momo would choke to Jen, but once she got a win over her Momo didn't look back either.

IMO, any player is in trouble if you let your opponent beat you more than 2 times consecutively. It's ok if it is maybe the top 3, but when others in the top 10 starts to beat you more than once(who haven't before) then you are in trouble.

bello
Mar 25th, 2003, 01:03 AM
Very slight possibility. The only doubt in my mind is presented by SERENA. Otherwise there is no reason why not.