PDA

View Full Version : weekend report from Miami

moon
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:10 PM
hey everybody :wavey:

I just got back from Miami a little while ago. :D I have lots to do today, and may not be back on for a while, so I decided to get this report out now. I logged on and saw that a few other people had done reports, but I figured what the hell, you can never have too many. And away we go!

Saturday was hot as hell, with a couple of showers thrown in, so we got a little bit of everything. I'll just post observations, and if anyone has any questions, I'll answer them later.

The first match I saw was Megan vs. Jidkova. Meg is moving well. The matchup with Venus should be interesting.

popped into Farina Elia vs. Srebotnik next. I'd never really seen either, so I figured I'd take a piss. they seemed pretty even to me. I was surprised to see later that Farina Elia retired. I thought she would win.

next we headed over to the stadium since Foot Fault wanted to see the Capster. She was schooling Rodionova (no surprise there) when the rains came. I took that as my cue to leave. Later on we came back for Chang & Agassi. Seeing the 2 senior citizens go at it was quite interesting. Bye Bye Chang.

next was Ai vs. Dinara. Very good match. We hurried over after we saw that Ai was getting spanked. The spanking continued, but towards the end of the 2nd set, Dinara got a few calls against, and she seemed to lose it. She reminds me so much of Marat! The height the temper, the game, it's all there. She'll get it together. Anyway, Ai came through. she wasn't so lucky on sunday. more on that later.

saw Jamea Jackson, and Granville hitting together at the practice courts. also saw Magui Serna. :D didn't want to interrupt her session though so I didn't take many pics. next time, I will make more of a commitment to troll the courts instead of racing from match to match. I missed V and S at least 2 times that I know of. :mad:

saw a bit of Gullickson vs. Rubin. Gullickson was okay, but Chanda wasn't playing that great. I would have to see the new girl again to see an accurate assessment of her game.

Saturday night we watched Venus spank Asogoe. no surprise there. Venus was great! after that we hurried over to see Marrero vs. Momo after we saw that Momo was waay behind. we got there and Momo was struggling, she was playing very passive. we really started to cheer for her then, and we were LOUD. anyway, that caused Marta's fans to pipe up, and we got ourselves a match! The only reason Momo won was because she became more aggressive. After the match one fan told me he went up to her and asked her if we were too loud, she told him "no, I needed that." it felt good to hear that. :) anyway, Marta I'm sure wanted to kill us, judging by some of the looks she gave our section.

SUNDAY--It rained on Sunday morning, and the first thing we saw in the park, was Benny Sims (Chanda's coach) trying to clear one of the courst with one of those spongy roller things. Now THAT is a good coach, I thought. I guess, Chanda didn't need much practice after all, since she beat Katarine 2 and 3.

Ai didn't fare so well. she ran into Sarah Taylor, who has got game! she was doing the fist pump, and she played very aggressive. I loved it! I felt sorry for Ai, but this Taylor chick I think is gonna make some real progress. her match with Jen should be interesting.

popped in to see Justine vs. Tamarine. as expected Justine schooled her. but I like to see that backhand up close. :D

Venus was immaculate again! she's doing really well. hopefully she can take it all the way this year.

Kimmy vs. Suarez, I thought would be interesting but it wasn't. A few key points went Kimmy's way, and Suarez couldn't get much right after that.

at the end of the night I ended up where I started, on grandstand, watching Kafelnikov vs. Paradorn. very good match. Paradorn is becoming one of my favorite male players. :)

ahhh. that's it for now.

:wavey: to Linnie, Sonja and Footfault. :D

Kuilli
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the report! :)

Lapin
Mar 25th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Thanks for your report Moon! :D (and thanks for doing such a great job cheering Amélie on against Marta! ;) :D )

supercmfan
Mar 25th, 2003, 12:21 AM
do you like conchita???

yeah you are my friend!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Linnie
Mar 25th, 2003, 01:33 AM
:wavey: right back at ya!! :D

Thanks for the report!

supercmfan
Mar 25th, 2003, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the report! :D

jirobkk
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:51 AM
at the end of the night I ended up where I started, on grandstand, watching Kafelnikov vs. Paradorn. very good match. Paradorn is becoming one of my favorite male players. :)