PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay drops Coach Leach

bwguy
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Davenport, coach part ways

By Charles Bricker
Staff Writer
Posted March 24 2003

KEY BISCAYNE Lindsay Davenport has dismissed her new coach, four-time Grand Slam doubles titlist Rick Leach, after only three months.

"We've parted ways," said Leach, who is playing doubles here with former Davis Cupper Don Johnson. "I thought Lindsay was playing well, but she didn't think she was. I was happy with the way she was playing, but she's looking for something different."

It seemed like a perfect match after Robert Van't Hof, Davenport's coach for seven years, decided to get off the travel grind and spend time with his family in a thoroughly amicable split.

Leach's younger brother, Jonathan, is Davenport's fiance, and Leach's father, Dick, was the longtime tennis coach at Southern California, where Van't Hof was an All American.

Davenport came to Key Biscayne with a 15-4 record and apparently fully recovered from knee surgery that cancelled the first six months of her 2002 season. She won at Tokyo in February by defeating Monica Seles in the final, but she lost in the round of 16 to Justine Henin-Hardenne at the Australian Open and in the round of 16 at Scottsdale earlier this month to Ai Sugiyama.

Davenport is here without a coach but with a hitting partner, former USC player Adam Peterson. She said the coaching relationship with Leach had become complicated because of her romantic relationship with his brother.

For Leach, it was a matter of one door closing and another opening. Two days after Davenport terminated their professional connection, last Wednesday, Johnson called and asked if he wanted to play doubles at the Nasdaq. He couldn't guarantee a spot, but Leach would have to fly here from Los Angeles if he wanted to play.

"I got here on Thursday and didn't have a credential. The security almost didn't let me in," he said.

They got into the draw and defeated Michael Llodra and Nenad Zimonjic 7-6 (5), 6-3 Sunday in their opening match.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-nasdaqnote24mar24,0,2660621.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines

LUXXXAS
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:49 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

irma
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:51 AM
weird, didn't she say in indian wells that she was very happy with him?

vaiva
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:53 AM
That was a short partnership. What now? Will Lindsay stay coachless?

WtaTour4Ever
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Wow, I'm shocked to say the least. But I def don't blame her.....I didn't have too much faith in him, only b/c he didn't have any previous experience. Hopefully Lindsay can find the right coach for her.........Good Luck :-)

WtaTour4Ever
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:01 AM
On a personal note...I hope this doesn't reflect or affect her relationship with her fiance.

GoDominique
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Really short. :o

Dava
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Like WTATour Forver said I hope this does not effect the personal relationship that she might have with him or his brother. I think it is strange to quit a coach after that short amount of time. Maybe it is more for personal reasons, but hey who knows.

doloresc
Mar 24th, 2003, 12:15 PM
in my opinion, this is a smart move on lindsay's part. "working" for your fiance's brother is delicate, no matter which way you look at. she can't exactly vent to rick's brother if she's dissatisfied with her "boss".

Pureracket
Mar 24th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Thanksgiving at the Leach's is going to be interesting this year. :eek:

King Lindsay
Mar 24th, 2003, 12:49 PM
LOL. Maybe I was wrong about this coaching arrangement. ;)

Lindsay, get Robert. He's the only one for you and you know it.

Pureracket
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:05 PM
What was the situation surrounding the severance with the relationship with Robert anyway? :confused:

Kelly
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:09 PM
LOL at the thanksgiveing remark.....wouldnt you just love to be a fly on the wall there!!

I think i should be lindsays coach...ok i dont play tennis but what she needs is someone to sit her down and tell her some truth....she doesnt need to work on her game plans..christ she's been a pro for 10 years...she need her confidence building up and when that gets back just watch her go!!

ktwtennis
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Wow, that is shocking that Lindsay did this so soon, although I must admit that I didn't think it would last...

King Lindsay
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:13 PM
it says so in the article, Pure. robert didn't want the road life anymore, wanted to spend more time with his family.

Pureracket
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:18 PM
it says so in the article, Pure. robert didn't want the road life anymore, wanted to spend more time with his family.
It seemed like a perfect match after Robert Van't Hof, Davenport's coach for seven years, decided to get off the travel grind and spend time with his family in a thoroughly amicable split.

. . .. .sure does. Interesting what READING could actually do for a person, eh? LOL!!!!!

King Lindsay
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Yeah, it's a useful tool alright. Not many can do it around here..... :) :drool:

I really hope she doesn't become like Seles and go on without a coach for protracted periods of time.

Lindsayfan
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Lindsay,why? :sad: I hope they r still good friends :sad:

Pureracket
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Right. .. . right. Honestly, I think that that's had a little to do with Seles' inability to return to the winner's circle. Everytime I turn around it seems as if she is hiring a new coach.

I think it's very important for LD to get a coach who she trusts.
I remember when she whupped up on Serena in their '00 USO encounter (quarterfinal). She constantly looked up in the stands at Robert for an approving smile. Robert sat there with his legs crossed with a smug smile on his face supporting his apt pupil. I hated LD and Robert that night. LOL!!!!!

King Lindsay
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:42 PM
I have never seen that match. Would really like to one day.

Just speculation, but I don't think monica has ever been able to replace her father as her coach. She really has had a revolving door since 1998, and I think it has hurt her too.

So the question is, if robert doesn't come back, can Lindsay replace somebody as important as him? Monica has yet to do so with her dad, IMO.

Lindsayfan
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:47 PM
i think it's not easy to be coached by ur brother in law.i think that Rick maybe couldnt be too hard with Lindsay cos of their family-relationship.maybe he just was trying to be nice and dont hurt Lindsay,u know..maybe sometimes he wanted to say "no Lindsay u r wrong,u r playing crappy" but he didnt cos he didnt want to hurt Lindsay's feelings...i think it was a too much complicated relationship to last long.but i'm sad,cos Rick is a nice guy and Lindsay too and i hope they r still friends and it doesnt affect her romance with Jon and with the Leach family.

Pureracket
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:51 PM
That is a good question. I imagine that it would have been REALLY convenient if the situation would have worked out with that Leach guy.

Robert worked out with LD and seemed to really get to know her as a person. She seems very fond of him, so his decision must have really been a blow.

Now, I imagine that LD needs to search within herself to see what/who she is going to turn to for that kind of support. If she can't get Robert back, she definitely needs to see if Robert would be nice enough to train the next person for her. :)

King Lindsay
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:56 PM
well, aside from that, how do you think Lindsay will fare against Iroda Tulyaganova in the quarters? ;)

Lindsayfan
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:59 PM
she should find a coach who has the autority to tell her the things how they really are.once she said that Rob was hard to her,instead Rick was always very nice and kind.maybe Rick didnt have this autority to speak to Lindsay honestly...i think Lindsay should have a coach who knows her well,maybe since when she was a baby like Lynne Rolley or Robert Lansdorp (for instance), or anyway a person who isnt scared to tell her the truth and to bash her when she's wrong.

selesfan
Mar 24th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Good thing! Not good to have a family member coaching you. Maybe she could get Billy Jean or Martina Naratilova as a coach. :)

Lindsayfan
Mar 24th, 2003, 02:09 PM
if only Billie Jean wasnt the Fed Cup captain,it would be a great choice.

selesfan
Mar 24th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Martina Naratilova said she wouldn't mind coaching but nobody has approached her as yet. Go for it Lindsay. :)

toobaxx
Mar 24th, 2003, 02:32 PM
i hope they parted as friends, and that it doesn't effect her relationship with his brother :sad:
imagine what that would to to her game :eek:

bis2806
Mar 24th, 2003, 02:36 PM
omg :eek: what's wrong with rick???!! i'm so sad that now lindsay is playing without a coach at the moment :sad: i hope everything's going well and i hope she can find a really good coach for herself... navratilova is not a wise choice i have to say... perhaps yeah she should convince and get robert back...... good luck linds!!!

TennisHack
Mar 24th, 2003, 02:48 PM
She said the coaching relationship with Leach had become complicated because of her romantic relationship with his brother.

Well, yeah . . . sorry, I thought that much would be obvious ;)

"We've parted ways," said Leach, who is playing doubles here with former Davis Cupper Don Johnson. "I thought Lindsay was playing well, but she didn't think she was. I was happy with the way she was playing, but she's looking for something different."

Sounds a bit like a communication problem, probably caused by each not wanting to hurt the other's feelings. I was surprised when I heard he had picked up Rick as a coach because it's such a delicate relationship, between coach and player.

At any rate, best of luck to Lindsay as she travels solo.

disposablehero
Mar 24th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Personally, at the time I thought hiring a future in-law as a coach was a mistake.

amy2468
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Vant'Hof has a son who plays tennis in his mid teenage years. He probably wanted to stay home more so he can focus on his son's career.

Pureracket
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:36 PM
KL,
What's up. *Pureracket runs to check on the Serena/Bartoli H2H*

QUEENLINDSAY
Mar 24th, 2003, 06:31 PM
I hope it does'nt effect her game and confidence in this tournament.
Now, I believed she will not play any clay tournies at all without a coach.
I'm so sad about this new development on Lindsay.

On the brighter side, It would be a great achievement for her to still go farther in this tournie without a coach. I bet she would do a lot of watching tennis now, coz no one is there to spy for her.

Come Lindsay!!!! with coach or without a coach!!!!
JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

c2
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:35 PM
I'm glad they parted ways, and that Lindsay made a decisive move. If it wasn't working, it wasn't working and better to make it short & sweet. I agree w/ disposable, I thought it was borderline to have a potential in-law as coach. Sheesh, how much family can you take, anyway? ;) I think it muddies the water to be mixing family and coaching.

CJ07
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:52 PM
interesting

Lindsayfan
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:01 PM
she said she'll play Charleston or Amelia Island if her leg will be ok.her new coach is Adam Peterson,they signed a long-term deal.good luck to both!

Meesh
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:48 PM
I thought Adam Peterson was just a hitting partner. This is weird news since I just watched the tape of her talking to Pam Shriver at IW last week on what a wonderful situation she was in and how Rick is already up to speed and knows her etc... etc...

I want to be a fly on the wall at Thanksgiving Dinner at the Leach's!

1jackson2001
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:06 PM
This is all very interesting and kinda surprising in a way..to last only 3 months. But what can one expect when an in-law is your coach?

Go Lindsay..I have fatih/confidence in you..with or without a coach! I hope you can get better soon with that injury.

tennischick
Mar 25th, 2003, 12:08 AM
hey where were you guys two weeks ago when i suggested that this was a bad idea?? :confused: