PDA

View Full Version : Mary Jo Fernandez Predicts Year End Top Five

Volcana
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Cliffie put her on the spot during the telecast on Sunday. Asked her if Capriati would be top five at year's end, asked her if Davenport would be top five at year end, then asked her who WON'T be.

MJ said specifically Henin-Hardenne would NOT be top five. Her picks?

Serena, Venus, Kim, Lindsay, Jenn

Now all we gotta do is wait six months and see if she's right

GoGoMaggie
Mar 24th, 2003, 06:05 AM
I think there is a pre good chance that she will turn out right. that's very probable.. I would even say the most probable list one could think of.. I think she decided to go very safe this time.

BasicTennis
Mar 24th, 2003, 06:08 AM
JenCap will not be top five because she will be titleless this year.;)

Lindsayfan
Mar 24th, 2003, 06:19 AM
I agree with MJ,maybe the fifth spot will be taken by Henin but on first 4 i agree with her.

disposablehero
Mar 24th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Yes, she got the top 4 right. Henin looks like a better bet for the 5th spot.

spencercarlos
Mar 24th, 2003, 06:32 AM
It`s a long season, who knows, but right now Henin tops Capriati`s performance this year so far.

per4ever
Mar 24th, 2003, 06:39 AM
:rolleyes:@MJ

Rtael
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:01 AM
In case ya didn;t notice Henin's performance tops Lindsay's too...

rhz
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:02 AM
One more time her name is MARY JOE, not Mary Jo!!! :mad: :fiery:

GoGoMaggie
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:08 AM
I think her name can be spellt mary jo cuz she was born in dominica republic where spanish is spoken.. In latin languages, her name is spelled mary jo... Am I right? I'm not too sure thou.

danra
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Her birth name is Maria Jose (with an accent on the 'e' of Jose, but i don't know how to do it), she could call herself Mary Jo, but chose to spell is Mary Joe, and it was always specified by her as such on draws, rankings etc etc.

Hope that's clear. Is very early on monday morning and am avoiding real work. :wavey:

irma
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:23 AM
she probably wanted to sound more american (or her family did since I think she was 2 or so when she moved there)

Dava
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Very pro American choices, I think that she has three of them right, but to be honest Lindsay, although she has no points to defend might not get that high. ALso Justine is playing much better then Jen and Lindsay right now and its hard to see her falling from the top 5.

I really hope that Jelena can get back in the top five :)

carot
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:02 AM
mary joe :drool: jeez time moves fast :o

i think she's correct except that justine will take that fifth spot, and not jenn

mauresmofan
Mar 24th, 2003, 12:55 PM
It's a good choice for the top 5 but Amélie and Justine could easily be in the top 5 too - you just never know with injuries and bad patches from some of these players.

auntie janie
Mar 24th, 2003, 02:04 PM
It's a good choice for the top 5 but Amélie and Justine could easily be in the top 5 too - you just never know with injuries and bad patches from some of these players.

I agree. They never even consider Amélie in these discussions. Yet it is very likely that Amélie would have finished 2002 at #5 if not for her serious knee injury.

I believe that Amélie and Justine are both better players than Jennifer, and will end the year ranked higher than she will. Lindsay & these two will be contending for #4, 5, & 6. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Leena
Mar 24th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Maria Jose... Maria Jose...

She didn't exactly go out on a limb with her prediction here.

I won't either... I say it will be Serena, Venus, Kim, then Justine, Lindsay or Amelie to fill the other 2. :p

amy2468
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:32 PM
I think her picks are good. Davenport is very experienced and Capriati is a great competitor so they both may brush past Henin by the end of the year. Henin also could make the top 5 though.

baleineau
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:55 PM
i think davenport will get injured again. sad to say, but i just can't see her going through the whole year without some 2 month break.

i would say henin will finish 4th and davenport 5th. capriati to finish 6th, perhaps battling it out with someone like hantuchova. i think amelie will be injured too much, and won't defend the US and Wimbledon SFs

rhz
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:26 PM
I think her name can be spellt mary jo cuz she was born in dominica republic where spanish is spoken.. In latin languages, her name is spelled mary jo... Am I right? I'm not too sure thou.

IT doesn't matter how her name could be or can be spelled... but in reality her name is MARY JOE

propi
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:33 PM
IMO María José is a bit disrespectful to Justine

CJ07
Mar 24th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Id replace JCap with Justine
and the way Lindsay's going i'd say shes #5

tenn_ace
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:02 PM
I will personally throw a tomamto at her when Juju will be at least #4.

fleemke³
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Justine will stay into the top 5 :cool:

AjdeNate!
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Well, MJF really went on a limb with those picks....