PDA

View Full Version : Ranking Question (numba 2)

SerenaSlam
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:20 AM
I was taking a look at Venus' rank. It Looks to me she has number 2 secured. She isn't/hasn't had any trouble this year w/ anyone except Serena. She has around 4800 pts right now. If she gets to the final and looses she should have around 5100pts. If she wins she should have around say 5300pts. Then take a look at her clay tournies. Hamburg will be dropped. So I say she has around 5000-4800pts w/ that gone. Drop Amelie Island 4800-4600pts. Then she has added J&S which has a weak field, hantuchova being the 2nd set behind her, its a Tier 2 so she should gets some good pts. If she wins that she should have around 5000pts again. Then there is Rome where she has no pts to defend. IF she gets to the finals there or wins she could have around 5400-5200pts. And talking about Kim, i say semis is the best she will do here (Miami). She may end up w/ around 4600-4500pts. You take off her Hamburg she is down to about 4300-4200pts. She has pts to defend in Berlin and Rome I believe. But I say going into the French w/ the way Venus has been playing she should have around 5400-5200pts, and Kim should have around 4500pts. What do you all think? Venus did drop tournies, but has added 1 which should cushion her. We all thought she might not be thinking about her ranking. But she has added Warsaw, and should w/out a doubt win, I think she realized dropping Amelie Island, and loosing those Hamburg pts alltogether, she needed to do add. She has, so I think that is what the rankings will be like going into the French. What do you all think?

switz
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:38 AM
I was taking a look at Venus' rank. It Looks to me she has number 2 secured. She isn't/hasn't had any trouble this year w/ anyone except Serena. She has around 4800 pts right now. If she gets to the final and looses she should have around 5100pts. If she wins she should have around say 5300pts. Then take a look at her clay tournies. Hamburg will be dropped. So I say she has around 5000-4800pts w/ that gone. Drop Amelie Island 4800-4600pts. Then she has added J&S which has a weak field, hantuchova being the 2nd set behind her, its a Tier 2 so she should gets some good pts. If she wins that she should have around 5000pts again. Then there is Rome where she has no pts to defend. IF she gets to the finals there or wins she could have around 5400-5200pts. And talking about Kim, i say semis is the best she will do here (Miami). She may end up w/ around 4600-4500pts. You take off her Hamburg she is down to about 4300-4200pts. She has pts to defend in Berlin and Rome I believe. But I say going into the French w/ the way Venus has been playing she should have around 5400-5200pts, and Kim should have around 4500pts. What do you all think? Venus did drop tournies, but has added 1 which should cushion her. We all thought she might not be thinking about her ranking. But she has added Warsaw, and should w/out a doubt win, I think she realized dropping Amelie Island, and loosing those Hamburg pts alltogether, she needed to do add. She has, so I think that is what the rankings will be like going into the French. What do you all think?

i doubt kim will take her number two before the french, but venus should watch out for after it because venus as three GS finals to defend will clijsters has basically nothing until the european indoors. i also think you are being pretty presumptious about venus' upcoming results. i mean i am sure she will do very well but you are talking like it is lock that venus will make the final or win every tournament on clay, and clijsters will struggle big time. venus and kim have played once this year and kim was sick, just like venus was injured when she was getting killed by clijsters in LA, so there is still a little more to find about how this year will pan out. right now, however, venus definitely deserves to ranked no.2, and i am sure she will have a great year.

Jericho
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:38 AM
I dont think vee is safe just yet...vee will be safe at #2 until roland garros IF...
1) She finals or wins this title and kim loses in the semi's
2) Kim decides not to pick up a WC in Warsaw

If these 2 things happen then vee is safe @ #2 UNTIL the french, BUT after the french is a new story!

Jericho
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:41 AM
venus and kim have played once this year and kim was sick

oh please kim's coach even said himself that she was over it the night before the finals, if she was so sick how come she beat justine in straight sets the match before???

SerenaSlam
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:48 AM
oh please kim's coach even said himself that she was over it the night before the finals, if she was so sick how come she beat justine in straight sets the match before???
very well put, i remember when I was saying Kim fans were saying Kim was "sick", and all the kim fans came in a week later saying they never said such thing, well her is even more proof. Coach said kim was fine, kim said Venus played to good, which she played no differently in my opinion then how she beat Justine at the Australian.

switz
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:50 AM

maybe because before this week henin was struggling to beat players like Anca Barna and Zsusana Ondraskova. i am not saying that kim lost to venus either because she was sick, more that i would just like to see a match where booth were at their peak, because i think it quite clear that kim has dropped off a little since the australian open, even though ironically she has made two finals and won her first tier 1 tournament.

switz
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:53 AM
very well put, i remember when I was saying Kim fans were saying Kim was "sick", and all the kim fans came in a week later saying they never said such thing, well her is even more proof. Coach said kim was fine, kim said Venus played to good, which she played no differently in my opinion then how she beat Justine at the Australian.

yeah well i am not a kim fan so i really could care less if she was sick, playing badly, or just totally outclassed by venus.

Jordan.
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:55 AM
switz! :wavey:

SerenaSlam
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:56 AM
yeah well i am not a kim fan so i really could care less if she was sick, playing badly, or just totally outclassed by venus.
playing badly or totally outclassed, wonder why you couldn't say this instead of bringing up the "sick" comment. clearly you were trying to give kim an edge to backup this rediculous, but understandable opinion about kim vs. venus at their peak.

King Lindsay
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:03 AM
SerenaSlam, you're really unreal. Venus has a 550 point edge over Clijsters at this juncture, with more to defend in the coming months than Kim. It's very plausible that Kim will pass her, considering she's playing almost as well and in far more tournaments. At the same time, it's also quite possible that she won't. why can't you just realize this and stop taking it as a personal affront to Venus that Kim would dare to pass her in the rankings?

Anyway, given that Kim has been f'n on fire for months now, I think it's likely she'll topple Venus before or just after the French.

switz
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:07 AM
playing badly or totally outclassed, wonder why you couldn't say this instead of bringing up the "sick" comment. clearly you were trying to give kim an edge to backup this rediculous, but understandable opinion about kim vs. venus at their peak.

you just go looking for fights don't you. i never said, and i really do not believe that kim at her peak is better than venus. venus has the record that says she is the better player and i think anyone who questions that is foolish. i had heard kim was sick, and because i try to avoid the bitch fights which seem to be your passion, i was not aware that kim was feeling better and that kim fans had been using the illness as an excuse for her loss. all i am going by is the matches i watched when i was at the australian open which I feel showed that kim has a very good game, and probably is the only player who can compete at a level anywhere the standard the brillant sisters have set. of course that does not mean that she will, and i am not desperate for her to either, because again i am not a fan of hers.

btw rediculous is spelt ridiculous

AjdeNate!
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:09 AM
What are Kim's Roland Garros & Wimbledon 2002 results...3R & 4R? I think with decent (semis or better), she could very very easily overtake #2.

But, either way, it will be fun to see it all play out over the next few months.

switz
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:10 AM
hi spicy

King Lindsay
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:10 AM
No, last year she went out in the third round of the French (to Clarisa fernandez) and the second round of Wimbledon (to I forgot .... likhovtseva?).

switz
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:19 AM
No, last year she went out in the third round of the French (to Clarisa fernandez) and the second round of Wimbledon (to I forgot .... likhovtseva?).

your are right on the money. she lost 6-4,6-0 to fernandez and 7-6, 6-2 to likhovtseva