PDA

View Full Version : Cappy the Dodgger

SerenaSlam
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Q. Do you think about the state of your game in terms of how you match up against Venus and Serena and where you want to be in that regard, even after a match like this? Is that in your thinking at all?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I'm not going to comment about that.

...she dogges so many question regarding the Sisters. I know you have a choice whether you want to talk about whatever is compared to them and her, but also I think it would do her good, to realize the fact they are actually better than her. Jennifer is good, and can challenge the sisters when their errors/winners are close or they have more errors, but the fact that she continues to dodge questions, and not want to comment on these things. It in a way irritates me, but then again its no big deal b/c i expect it from her. Honestly I think it would do her good just to say something around, im working on my game, they are at the top, and all i can do is work on my game and try to get where they are. I see nothing wrong w/ that, its good to have a postive attidue, but i say especially when they are talking about her playing venus, never beating her, loosing in staright sets their last 2 meetings, at least give us something.

W/ Serena i can understand her defense seeing they have gone 3 sets most of the time, but Serena was not the "on" serena we have seen in the rounds before. I remeber watching Serena on MTV Diary, she said ''Jennifer is the best right now", she said it w/ assurance, and she stated "she is trying to get to where she (Jennifer) is." LIke coments Lindsay Davenport have said, even Kim Clijsters. Jen is just different I guess. Chris Evert said during the wimbledon final (venus vs. serena) That most of the players are saying the sisters are too good, they realize it, w/ the exception of Jennifer, and she (jennifer) thinks so b/c she matches their power and has good speed. I can understand that, but when you play them and have continued to loose....can she give anytype of....say remourse to the fact they are better than her? What do you all think about Jennifer not wanting to comment on her vs. the top...or the "sisters".

I also think that if they were to state the questions differently she might answer..say somthing around.....

Do you think about the state of your game in terms of how you match up against 2 top players and where you want to be in that regard, even after a match like this? Is that in your thinking at all?

What do yall think..... :)

AjdeNate!
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:47 AM
I think she has every right to not comment. Her next match is not against either of the sisters. She should remain focussed on her next match. Then if she should encounter the Williams', then she can look to that matchup.

If she did comment on them, and then lost before she played them, some posters here would put a little 'spin' on that too and say that she was looking beyond her next match and should take them one at a time.

So really, for the vox populi, she's damned if she does - damned if she doesn't. And doing (or saying) nothing creates less drama and is easier to do (or not do).

:wavey:

Simplify
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:50 AM
Good for Jen. I can't believe some of the questions reporters ask sometimes. :rolleyes: Also, when Jen has esponded to similar questions before, some people around here said she should learn to say "no comment." Now that she's doing that, she's being called a dodger. Oh, what's a girl to do. :confused: ;)

SerenaSlam
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:51 AM
I think she has every right to not comment. Her next match is not against either of the sisters. She should remain focussed on her next match. Then if she should encounter the Williams', then she can look to that matchup.

If she did comment on them, and then lost before she played them, some posters here would put a little 'spin' on that too and say that she was looking beyond her next match and should take them one at a time.

So really, for the vox populi, she's damned if she does - damned if she doesn't. And doing (or saying) nothing creates less drama and is easier to do (or not do).

very well said, i can understand what you are saying about "if she comments" and "if she doesn't" and what posters wiill say, but she has never beaten venus "never commented" lost to serena 5 straight times "never commented"...see what im saying...i say why not, maybe it will shut them up?

SerenaSlam
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Good for Jen. I can't believe some of the questions reporters ask sometimes. :rolleyes: Also, when Jen has esponded to similar questions before, some people around here said she should learn to say "no comment." Now that she's doing that, she's being called a dodger. Oh, what's a girl to do. :confused: ;)
i see nothing wrong a/ calling her a "doger" she has every right, basically the entire WTA are "dogers" in the interview room, they have the right to answer or no....but after so long....

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:56 AM
I'm of two minds on the matter. On the one hand she tried talking about the sisters before and felt undue pressure as if she was the sole one responsible for stopping them. That screwed her up, so now she is just ignoring questions about them. Understandable but also a wrong strategy if you ask me because it just makes her look like she's bitter or has a grudge against them.

I mean isn't it normaly to be asked questions about the people ranked ahead of you and what you have to do to get there? i mean before venus was one or two she used to always say she was the best in her mind even though it wasn't on paper. That exuded confidence and self assurance. Also I've noticed that Jen has a tough time complimenting venus or serena. She sometimes acts resentful of them which makes no sense unless shes resentful of all the questions she gets about them. However all the top player get those questions. So far Kim and Lindsay and Monica and Justine have handled those questions the best. Daniela too.

The one comment I did like with Jen is when she said last year that she never feels like the underdog when playing serena. I thought that was a tough minded and confident statement. However I don't know if she still feels that way.

Anyway with Jen I think no comment is the best comment. she never seems to say the right thing.

Simplify
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:57 AM
....but after so long....
Maybe the reporters will quit asking. ;)

SerenaSlam
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:00 AM
I'm of two minds on the matter. On the one hand she tried talking about the sisters before and felt undue pressure as if she was the sole one responsible for stopping them. That screwed her up, so now she is just ignoring questions about them. Understandable but also a wrong strategy if you ask me because it just makes her look like she's bitter or has a grudge against them.

I mean isn't it normaly to be asked questions about the people ranked ahead of you and what you have to do to get there? i mean before venus was one or two she used to always say she was the best in her mind even though it wasn't on paper. That exuded confidence and self assurance. Also I've noticed that Jen has a tough time complimenting venus or serena. She sometimes acts resentful of them which makes no sense unless shes resentful of all the questions she gets about them. However all the top player get those questions. So far Kim and Lindsay and Monica and Justine have handled those questions the best. Daniela too.

The one comment I did like with Jen is when she said last year that she never feels like the underdog when playing serena. I thought that was a tough minded and confident statement. However I don't know if she still feels that way.

Anyway with Jen I think no comment is the best comment. she never seems to say the right thing.
i think this is a once in a blue moon thing..where i actually agree w/ u :eek:

also i love the "jen never seems to say the right thing", i think she is a little uptight in the interveiws, and a lil nervous, and goes out into space sometimes, and sruz up some questions :)

1jackson2001
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:03 AM
I can see why she doesn't want to answer those questions.

selesfan
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:07 AM

I agree! These reporters are always trying to start something. They should be talking about the match she just played and her next opponent. :)

CJ07
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:11 AM
why cant she just say, they're playing great tennis right know and i'll do my best to beat them

and leave it at that?

she resents them so much!

SerenaSlam
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:22 AM
why cant she just say, they're playing great tennis right know and i'll do my best to beat them

and leave it at that?

she resents them so much!
just about what im wondering, can she just say at least something postive in regarding the sisters?

King Lindsay
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:28 AM
I think she has said positive things about the sisters in the past.

I don't think Jennifer would tell you that she thinks they are better than her. I'm sure she doesn't, and why should she? Venus thought she was the best for years before she actually was and she said as much. I don't remember threads maligning her for not admitting she wasn't as good as Martina hingis.

Anyway, it's not like it's her duty to be Venus or Serena's personal cheerleading squad.

And SerenaSlam, "dodger" is the word you are looking for!

Philbo
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Well i recall Williams supporters standing by Serena and Venus when S + V used to talk about being the best etc before they had even won a slam - even when Hingis had 4 or 5 to her credit, you'd never hear V or S ADMIT that hingis was BETTER than them...

So why do you expect jen to do that now??

Jen did dodge the question, but somone post Venus' last interview - she was lucky to give 3 syllables to any of the questions asked - just so disinterested..

And thats the same as most players these days sadly... At least Serena tries to have fun and answer questions in an interview without the usual cliches...

WtaTour4Ever
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:45 AM
I don't think its fair to critisize her for not commenting....I'm sure it gets old being asked the same questions all the time. And if she does respond, I'm sure most or many will find fault with what she has to say.

TeeRexx
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:53 AM
I am just glad that Cappy has finally learned to shut up when the possibility of a stupid response avails itself to her.

Maybe she is finally learning.
Or atleast, staying off the meds. :eek: :)

theultimateone
Mar 24th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Unfortunately, Capriati's "silence" speaks volumes. It is obvious that Venus and Serena are in her head and she cannot handle it. Until she is able to clear her mind in regards to Venus and Serena, they will forever OWN her. She has allowed them to imprison her--she is holding herself hostage.

Until she frees her mind, by first articulating out loud that they are great players and that she is also a great player, she won't ever conquer her demons.

Volcana
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:03 AM
If I had 20 reporters asking variations of the same question at every single news conerence, I'd stop commenting too. Isn't her recvery from eye surgery a little more important to track on a day to day basis? Or when she thinks she'll be inthe same shape she was in January 2002? If they want to know how she feels about Venus or Serena, can't they just look up the 435,567,345,879 previous answers Jenn gave to that question in the past twelve months?

GoGoMaggie
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:58 AM
It's impossible to read her mind from "no comment". It does NOT speak volume. It says nothing as it is no comment. It doesn't mean in the slightest that she admits the sisters are better than her. It's just no comment. No one knows what's crossing her mind. She has every right to act the way she does. By the way, it's no big deal whether she admitted or not. Some people better stop prasing the sisters more than necessary. The sisters don't need more than enough credit. and for me they are getting just enough n asking for no more.

the_ancyent_m
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:51 AM
I cannot see what´s wrong with not answering certain questions.

Oh, I do understand the logic now in that it´s ok to critisize Cappy for keeping her mouth shut, since she was attacked so many times for not keeping it shut before! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

By the way, who shut down TeeRexx´REPUTATION? :p

hinquit
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Serenaslam, you pretend to be Serena or Venus' fan but you are not.
You are one of those Hingis' hidding behind the fact.
I don't know why on earth you want Jen. to talk any thing about the
sisters. Jen. doesn't have to say anything being positive or negative about venus and serena. please stop putting up stupid thread about
the sisters.

leslie
Mar 24th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Again, I am not a Jen's fan I am for Serena and Venus all the way. But Jen was right not to comment about V/S. We all know she cannot stand them, and since she is not media savvy she probably would have said something ignorant anyway so her safe bet is to say 'No comment'.

blue249
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:37 PM
I am just glad that Cappy has finally learned to shut up when the possibility of a stupid response avails itself to her.

Maybe she is finally learning.
Or atleast, staying off the meds. :eek: :)

*yawn*

Mase
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:55 PM
I dont see anything wrong with her not answering that question either. like Seles said she's damned if she does, damned if she doesnt... I still think people ask her about the sisters more because even though its been a while, she's still the only other person to win a slam in the past 2 years........

Halardfan
Mar 24th, 2003, 03:22 PM
I think her response is for the best...

As people have said, its pretty much a no win situation for her, best not to give the media any scraps to get into frenzy about, she knows the slightest nuance out of place will be leapt on.

vw43
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:01 PM
I understand why Jennifer made no comment about Venus and Serena Williams. Jennifer needs to focus on her upcoming match - not on the possibility that she may meet Venus or Serena later on. She's not thinking about "matching up" with them. She's thinking of winning her next match..

harloo
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Well, IMO this is good for her because everytime she has something to say about the Williams it's negative. So she has wised up and caught herself, and I see no fault in that.

Hewitt225
Mar 24th, 2003, 06:02 PM
I think its good that JCap doesn't acknowledge the sisters as being a level ahead of everyone else. I think if you tell yourself that someone is better than you and everyone else, then during close long matches it gives them an edge, b/c in your mind, they're better than you. Thats why I think its good that Jen tries not to say anything and acts like she is just as good as they are.

kiwifan
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:11 PM
:p

J Cap just spoke on ESPN and answered the Williams Sisters question quite eloquently.

I think the TV producers may have read this thread and reacted quickly to continue the image rehab of America's Sweetheart. :p

She just said it, so I don't have it in writing, but she did indeed acknowlege the greatness of the Sisters ("they had a great year" and even hinted that Kim C. may have gotten a little tight in the Aussie, "some players get ahead and they can't believe they are beating them so they end up losing")

All quotes are paraphrased, I'm sure one of you tennis nuts will have the transcript ready by the time I'm finished typing this and adding...

... :cool: :cool: :cool:

"Death Blow" - Kool Moe Dee

patricio
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Bla bla, dont make a mountain out of a molehill. I mean if she doesnt want to comment is because she is not playing with the sisters yet and also she is sick and tired of reporters continuously asking her about her lever compared to the Williams'. She didnt say anything bad about them or disrespectful so I think this post is totally nonsense. Just because jen doesnt say "Im not as good as the Williams" SerenaSlam feels bad, because not only do the williams have to win everything on the tour but also they HAVE to be recognized by all players in order to make you happy. Please... grow up!

JCAP
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:21 PM
I dont blame her for not answering the stupid questions they ask!! I would be well pissed of to :rolleyes:

Whe she answer's questions on V/S you guy's complain but when she dosen't answer there questions you complain............... Can that girl do no right :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WtaTour4Ever
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:45 PM
I think its safe to say that most of us agree WS Fans and J-Cap fans alike :-)

John Inverdale
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:12 PM
It's good to see such comprehensive anaylsis of Jennifer from a Willies fan.

What would we do without them, eh. We'd be clueless that's what we'd be. Never seen so much attention to detail. Except when the BBC camera men are trying to look up Kournikova's arse.

billie_jean_king
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:25 PM
The only thing Jen is dodging these days is me. :sad:

SerenaSlam
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:42 PM
well it sucks that venus didnt' play before her, b/c she can still doge questions seeing she doesn't play venus in the next round till she wins, but today on ESPN, she again "dodged" the questions when Mary Jo and that man asked her about the williams dominance, and if she feels she can stop it, she said she doesn't want to comment on it, i think the best answer for her there would've to say yes she thinks she can stop them!

John Inverdale
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Just as long as you're keeping up with all of Jen's interviews, SerenaSlam.

We're all counting on you.

kiwifan
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:59 PM

:confused:

...we aren't allowed to follow America's Sweetheart's career too? :sad: :sad: :sad:

I'll let you slide for now, but with that attitude you must wear #15 on that rugby pitch. :p :p :p

Yours in rugby,

#10 :devil: :devil: :devil:

"Sympathy for the Devil" - The Stones

Jennifer's wife
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:01 PM

lmao! :worship: John! :worship:
There was too much pressure on Jen last year when it came to the Williams sisters. Dont know about anywhere else but in our press during wimbledon it was like "Jennifer is the only threat to the williams sisters". it was constant pressure and focus on them when Jen should just concentrate on her games one at a time. im glad that this year she is ignoring all the bollocks people ask her, she's not making the same mistakes this year! ;) Good on ya Jen!

Ryan
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:05 PM
Oh please. First you people bullshit her for talking too much, and now you can't handle her saying "no comment" SerenaSlam? :rolleyes:

Seeing how you follow her so closely, would you mind telling me if jenn brushed her teeth this morning? Or what socks she plans on wearing tomorrow?

WtaTour4Ever
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Actually SerenaSlam you got me confused too

Jennifer's wife
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:15 PM
Seeing how you follow her so closely, would you mind telling me if jenn brushed her teeth this morning? Or what socks she plans on wearing tomorrow?

lol! and can u tell me what color knickers she has on?! :drool: :lick: ;) :D :p

1jackson2001
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:22 PM
I was interested in what she would say today when she was asked the question again. I think she handled it quite well, with the same effect of "no commen you idiots"..put in a much nicer and eloquent way.

ico4498
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:35 PM
From Tennis Week.

"I learned from the last two matches that I needed to start off better," Capriati said. "I feel pretty confident right now. I really really I'm hitting the ball well and I'm where I'd like to be right now."

The 26-year-old Capriati cracked 12 forehand winners and overpowered Taylor in the baseline exchanges. Capriati's sometime shaky serve was sound throughout as she did not surrender serve in the match, while breaking Taylor five times. Capriati is trying to complement her prodigious power with an even more important ingredient for success — staying power.

As she seeks to extend her stay in the tournament, Capriati awaits the winner of tonight's fourth-round match between second-seeded Venus Williams and 23rd-seeded Meghann Shaughnessy. Seeking her first tournament title since the 2002 Australian Open, Capriati will probably have to beat both Williams sisters to win it. It is not an easy task — the two-time Australian Open champion has seen her Miami title dreams dissolve at the hands of the Williams sisters in each of the past two years.

Venus saved seven match points to beat Capriati in the 2001 final. Fighting off seven set points in the second set, Serena conquered Capriati 7-5, 7-6(4) in a battle of fellow Floridians in the 2002 final. While Capriati has consistently played Serena tough in their recent encounters, the top-ranked Williams has won six straight matches against Capriati and Venus is undefeated against Capriati.

Her record against the world's top two players doesn't offer much comfort to Capriati. She doesn't sound very comfortable discussing the Williams' sisters dominance and knows that given their past history results matter more than remarks.

"Obviously, they're great players and they definitely intimidate people a lot," Capriati said. "I don't really like talking about their dominance; I just want to go out and do the best I can."

Mad-About-Venus
Mar 25th, 2003, 12:05 AM
So there, she just said it... everybody happy now?? :D

jenny161185
Mar 25th, 2003, 12:07 AM
i respect her totally for this and anyone would do the same in her position.It must get pretty annoying when she goes into her interviews and all she gets is the same questions about the sisters , its getting as bad as monica and the retirement questions

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 25th, 2003, 12:13 AM
i respect her totally for this and anyone would do the same in her position.It must get pretty annoying when she goes into her interviews and all she gets is the same questions about the sisters , its getting as bad as monica and the retirement questions

True but all the top players are asked that question. Now if they didn't ask jennifer maybe you should be concerned because then it would mean they don't consider her a threat to the top.

hollywood7172
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:33 AM
now that the issue of "cappy the dodger" has been solved by ico4498, there are 3 things i really want to know:

1. why people who can't stand capriati repeated go and read her interviews and nitpick ( all the while overlooking what they want to find)

2. why people who can't stand capriati hang on her every word and egg for her to praise their favorites.

3. why people, even at a time like this, are filled with SO MUCH hate.

GO JENNIFER!! GOOD LUCK ON YOUR NEXT MATCH!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: