PDA

View Full Version : Flavia Pennetta?

Gowza
Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:24 PM
has anyone seen her play? what sort of game does she have? what's her serve like? can she volley? does she have good speed and foot movement? what are her groundies like?

croat123
Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:50 PM
i saw her beat iva on friday :sad:

she has a very good serve and is also solid off the ground. her strokes are flat. her best shot is her flat backhand cc and her backhand drop shot is also great. she never comes into the net, she will move back to the baseline after hitting a mid-court shot. her movement is ok, but could be better.

Gowza
Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:53 PM
when you say she has a good serve do mean it is powerful? or that it is accurate? or that it is both? or do you mean it is reliable?

also when you say solid off the ground do you mean consistent and reliable or do you mean she has pretty good pace on her shots.

thanks for the info btw.

Gowza
Mar 24th, 2003, 02:25 AM
no one else has seen her play?

King Lindsay
Mar 24th, 2003, 02:34 AM
I have never seen her play, Gowza, but I have noted her unheralded rise up the rankings. Looks like Italy can boast another good player.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 24th, 2003, 03:46 AM
I've only seen her on clay but that was when she was 16 in the NEC World Youth Cup Finals (which Italy won)
Her serve is pretty effective but she does tend to throw in a few doubles from time to time.
Hits flat, she doesn't like to come in though, much happier at back of court.
Movement good be alot better but she's pretty good on the clay which is her best surface IMO.

but to hit more winners at back of the court than Lindsay even when losing is very encouraging for Flavia :)
She'll be moving up nicely in the clay season (Top 50 for sure, hoping for Top 40 though)

Eric_tennis
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:56 AM
I saw her play last April in a challenger final. She lost to Mi-ra Jeon(Korea) there,... and I'm a fan of Mi-ra, so I had to be there to watch Mi-ra's first challenger event victory. :D and the venue was only 15 minute drive from my office,... so I was there. ;)

She hits balls flat both sides,.. and has better bh than fh, I think. And her back hand dtl was good, too. She looked like a semi-power player to me. She doesn't look tall or big,.. but tries to hit harder than her frame,.. and it causes some UEs,.. And I learned that she would have some problem if she plays some defensive players who can hit some balls back,.. cause after some hittings during the rally, she made some UEs,.... And she had some fighting spirit and very sensitive to line calls and audience (during service and return), I guess.

That's all I remember about her.. Oh,..I can't forget her violet outfit which was semitransparent... :eek: :o Anyway she just looked good to me. ;)
And in an interview,.. she likes to play on hard court than clay,.. so she had traveled far away from home during European clay court season.

But I think she would have changed a lot since then. Cause at that time she was just a good challenger level player,.. but now she must have improved so much to be in top 100 and to record some wins on WTA tour event.

Good luck, Flavia~~
:D

Wojtek
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:23 AM
I saw her in Sopot . She is very good player . She hits flat almost all the time , runs very good and like almost all women players she doesn't go to the net .

Jakeev
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Well it sounds like this was the Italian girl's first real big match today. To take a top player to three sets and lose is nothing to feel that bad about.

Sounds like Flavia will keep Italy's hopes alive for the future.

croat123
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:50 AM
yup, her dress was semi-transparent on friday as well

her frist serve is powerful, her second serve is an accurate kick serve