PDA

View Full Version : Hantuchova 2003: Time to start worrying about Dani?

Volcana
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:31 PM
She's beaten ONE top twenty p-layer all year. Schnyder

06 Jan 2003 Sydney 32 B BYE
06 Jan 2003 Sydney 16 W TANASUGARN 7-6 6-1
06 Jan 2003 Sydney QF L DAVENPORT 4-6 6-3 6-7

13 Jan 2003 OZ 128 W ZULUAGA 7-5 6-7 6-4
13 Jan 2003 OZ 64 W Ad.SERRA ZANETTI 7-6 7-6
13 Jan 2003 OZ 32 W STOSUR 6-4 6-2
13 Jan 2003 OZ 16 W SCHNYDER 7-5 6-3
13 Jan 2003 OZ QF L V.WILLIAMS 4-6 3-6

03 Feb 2003 Paris 32 B BYE
03 Feb 2003 Paris 16 W MATEVZIC 6-3 6-3
03 Feb 2003 Paris QF L DEMENTIEVA 5-7 3-6

10 Feb 2003 Antwerp 16 W CALLENS 5-7 6-4 6-3
10 Feb 2003 Antwerp QF W DECHY 7-6 7-6
10 Feb 2003 Antwerp SF L V.WILLIAMS 1-6 4-6

05 Mar 2003 Indian Wells 128 B BYE
05 Mar 2003 Indian Wells 64 W MANDULA 6-2 6-3
05 Mar 2003 Indian Wells 32 W SREBOTNIK 7-6 6-2
05 Mar 2003 Indian Wells 16 L COETZER 4-6 4-6

19 Mar 2003 Miami 128 B BYE
19 Mar 2003 Miami 64 L MOLIK 2-6 7-5 6-0

07 Apr 2003 Charleston 32 W PANOVA
07 Apr 2003 Charleston 16 W CRAYBAS
07 Apr 2003 Charleston QF L HARKLEROAD 6-2 6-1

Best wins - Schnyder, Dechy
Worst losses - Dementieva, Coetzer, Molik, Harkleroad

Havok
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:34 PM
if she doesn't win another title soon, then yeah she'll look kinda odd. but she just has to work on her form, meaning her physique. sorry to bring it up but it's true and she evn said it. untill she doesn't improve there, i dont think she'll do very good, especially when it's really hot

Dava
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:38 PM
I think if she starts to slide out the top 15 then we should get worried about her. I think she is working an dplaying too much, even Nigel says that she is, which is worring!

She remined me of what V and Rena looked like a few years ago, with balls being really in or really out, I think eventually she will even out, and all the balls which are now going out, will land in.

Its just I think the pressure of having to live up to what an amazing yea 2002 would have been for her.

matthias
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:41 PM
i donīt think so
sure, she isnīt playing well like last year, but i think she will pick up her game and will have good results soon

Bezz
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:41 PM
I dont really rate dani as a top 5 player. I think her movement is poor and seems only able to hit winners when she is perfectly set up for a shot and against any other top 10 (or top 20 for that matter) player that wont happen to often. I can see her winning a few more titles but not GS or tier 1's. She was hyped as the Kournikova that could win-- but can she?? :)

CJ07
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:57 PM
no, i think Hantuchova is where she belongs...at #8

vaiva
Mar 23rd, 2003, 05:01 PM
Isn't it too early to start worrying?

tennischick
Mar 23rd, 2003, 05:34 PM
it's too early and she's too young to start worrying IMO.

Central
Mar 23rd, 2003, 05:45 PM
She's only got the same, or better results than last year (but in Indian Wells). And she lost in 1st round at Key Biscaine last year, so...

Yeah, maybe fifth is not her spot, but, worrying? I don't think so

Gallofa
Mar 23rd, 2003, 05:51 PM
This is a picture of her from Nasdaq-100 so it's not tricked or retouched

http://www.nasdaq-100open.com/images/news/img20073f.jpg

the url is http://www.nasdaq-100open.com/images/news/img20073f.jpg

I think as long as she doesn't put some muscle AND fat on, she's going to struggle. She might defeat all those that are worse than her. But she doesn't have enough in the tank to battle with those that are as good as she is.

Filip!
Mar 23rd, 2003, 06:18 PM
I think every young player who jumps into the top 10 has a difficult period, look @ Jelena Dokic at this moment...

the cat
Mar 23rd, 2003, 06:23 PM
Her grand slam results have been consitently good! :D But her WTA results have been dissapointing! :( I think she also plays too many tournaments. Especially for someone so slight of frame. I think Dani should play only about 18 tournaments a year. A moderate schedule might help her stay strong all year round. But now it seems like Dani goes from one tournament to the next. And that's not doing her any good.

BigTennisFan
Mar 23rd, 2003, 06:31 PM
Her grand slam results have been consitently good! :D But her WTA results have been dissapointing! :( I think she also plays too many tournaments. Especially for someone so slight of frame. I think Dani should play only about 18 tournaments a year. A moderate schedule might help her stay strong all year round. But now it seems like Dani goes from one tournament to the next. And that's not doing her any good.

True. I can understand the girls who are barely making a living playing so much but Dani should be doing ok.

And like I said in another thread, we might have to kidnap her and force feed her some soul food in order to fatten her up. That child is way too skinny. :)

Julian
Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:29 PM
Dani is having a decent year IMO her only bad loss was against Molik, but that happens to everybody. But if she really wants to take it to the next level then she's going to have to work harder. But I don't think there's time for worrying..YET

calabar
Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:50 PM
Perhaps the reason why some are worrying is because the expectation was too high to begin with. Ever since IW last year, most pundits starting to annoint Daniella as the second coming. Obviously the hype is not her fault, and I hope she doesn't let it get to her head.

leslie
Mar 23rd, 2003, 08:32 PM
Whenever I see that girl play and lose this always comes to mind what she said. She said "Venus had to bring her "A" game at the U.S. Open to beat her". That statement was so funny I am still laughing. The girl looks like 6 O'clock.

fammmmedspin
Mar 23rd, 2003, 10:42 PM
My memory may be failing but I thought Molik was having a hot year as is Elena D on a good day? Amanda is always hot. If there is a problem - apart from lack of food consumption - its that Dani's game is going off markedly after losing winning positions - a real problem but one shared with quite a few other players?

ktwtennis
Mar 23rd, 2003, 10:44 PM
Could it be the cliche of the "Sophomore Slump?"

xan
Mar 24th, 2003, 02:51 AM
Dani seems to have realised her problem.

From THE AGE
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/03/22/1047749987323.html

Meanwhile, Hantuchova was leading the 89th-ranked Molik 6-2, 5-2 but squandered two match points before losing the second-round match 2-6, 7-5, 6-0.

Hantuchova said she had recently lost weight because of her training regimen. That may have been a factor in the third set against Molik.

"I felt I had nothing left," Hantuchova said. "Anything I've eaten, it just disappeared because I was working so hard. So this is one of the things we're working on now - to get a bit stronger."

King Lindsay
Mar 24th, 2003, 03:02 AM
She'll be fine. She's just hit a rough patch, punctuated by a terrible loss a few days ago. Again, I think it's amazing how fast some people on these boards get down on a player. if she slumps through the clay season, then we have a problem.

switz
Mar 24th, 2003, 03:46 AM
some of you people are far too harsh. i mean if you think that she should have beaten molik 6-2,6-2, and molik has been playing great tennis this year, then the only thing to worry about is her lack of endurance. i think the heat is playing a big part personally, because if you look at matches she has played against henin at the us open and dementieva in zurich then fitness really is not that big a problem. she is skinny girl, who has lost MORE weight due to over-play in very hot conditions and her recent scores have relfected that. i expect i big turn around on the clay and grass. i also would like to say that i was at her match against patty and she really played well, although the score did not reflect how close the match could have been. dani her best overall this year, but she has still made a QF of a grand slam, a semi, two quarters, a fourth round and choked up in miami, so i don't think we need the kournikova comparisons just yet.

Gowza
Mar 24th, 2003, 03:48 AM
she certaoinly hasn't had a bad year compared to most players on the tour.

Volcana
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:11 AM
If you can't beat anyone ranked higher than #15, and you're losing to players outside the top 20, that usually means, at best, a ranking in the 15-20 range.

King Lindsay
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:20 AM
volcana, that's misleading. she's only played four matches against players inside the top 15 this year. She beat Schnyder, lost a heartbreaker to Davenport, and two matches to Venus. what is so awful about that?

azinna
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:54 AM
King Linds, nothing at all. I think she's on track for a Clijsters/Henin/Dokic year. She'll stay in the Top Ten while she tries to work out the kinks in her game.

By the way: she needs a regular diet of foo-foo and egusi soup. Nothing else will help her with those arms and thighs.

Volcana
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:43 PM
6-2 6-1 Is Harkleroad even top hundred? Was there an injury no one's mentioning?

CJ07
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:48 PM
i think its definately time to start worrying

top 10 players dont go down like that

King Lindsay
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:01 AM
i guess they do, actually. :)

lol, I'm still not all that concerned about her. At least it was in the QF, not the first round. As far as I'm concerned, she ran into a red-hot player the day after having to win two close matches. She was probably tired from yesterday.

The results will come .... we're just in a dodgy patch...

Central
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:27 AM
Is this one some kind of a recurrent place to come when Daniela loses a match?
I don't have any problem if it is, it's just that I'd like to know

Asmus
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:42 AM
I hope that Daniela manages to gain some weight...I just wonder if she's falling to some of the pressure to stay beautiful. This was certainly Anna K's undoing. Even when she isn't necessarily doing publicity she's still treated differently.

tennisIlove09
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:44 AM
volcana, that's misleading. she's only played four matches against players inside the top 15 this year. She beat Schnyder, lost a heartbreaker to Davenport, and two matches to Venus. what is so awful about that?

Well Said.

She's made the last 3 slam QF's...no one, but the sisters can say that.

Kirt12255
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:45 AM
:wavey: IMO....I think Daniella will come back strong. People forget just how young she still is. This time last year the media hadn't really grabbed hold of her...now she is one of the stars on the tour, that has to be mentally draining with all the extra attention.

Expectations can play a huge part. I think all players get in a slump and Daniella is having one of those. Their life outside of tennis can play a huge part...perhaps she is having issues off the court...it's not something we hear about.

In the end natural talent will come through...and she has plenty of that IMO :wavey:

King Lindsay
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:04 AM
Honestly, I don't know if there is another player that gets as much flak on these boards. People sure do love to hate Hantuchova. She's anorexic, she's too hyped, she's not as good as people said, she's falling victim to the Kournikova syndrome, blah blah blah.

people need to lay off. She is for real. She has ALWAYS been for real. And she will prove all of the doubters wrong in time. Maybe not this week, maybe not even this year. But she's young, and she's only getting better. All in good time, my friends ...

tennisIlove09
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:06 AM
Honestly, I don't know if there is another player that gets as much flak on these boards. People sure do love to hate Hantuchova. She's anorexic, she's too hyped, she's not as good as people said, she's falling victim to the Kournikova syndrome, blah blah blah.

people need to lay off. She is for real. She has ALWAYS been for real. And she will prove all of the doubters wrong in time. Maybe not this week, maybe not even this year. But she's young, and she's only getting better. All in good time, my friends ...

This is another good post. :D

Daniela reminds me a lot of the Williams sisters, actually. They made their presence known right away, but like the sisters, Dani will take time to mature and get her game together. But when she does...look out

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:09 AM
Keep the faith, KL.

I have to admit that I am a bit worried about her current (relative) slump, though it's probably no worse than her performance immediately after Indian Wells last year (relying on memory here; haven't gone back to check).

joegerardi
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:15 AM
I think you're overlooking the obvious: She friggin' exhausted after yesterdy. Think about it- how many other players played 3 matches yesterday? 7 sets of tennis at the pro level. I played 3 sets today- 1 against my coach, who's 3 divisions above me, (but when we play, he does not ease up. I prefer it that way) and 2 sets with one person 1 division higher, and I feel like I called Mike Tyson a sissy; I'm so sore.

I just think she didn't have any gas left in the tank.

That's not to take away from Ashley. She is playing great, but let's give kudos where they're due.

But, she's an athlete, and young. That means she will recover fast, so let's look forward to Amelia Island, and wish her the best there.

..Joe

Central
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:21 AM
I don't think she's having such a bad season, as she's 9th (if I'm not wrong, something quite possible) in that Race to the Chase.

King Lindsay
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:22 AM
I think you're overlooking the obvious: She friggin' exhausted after yesterdy. Think about it- how many other players played 3 matches yesterday? 7 sets of tennis at the pro level. I played 3 sets today- 1 against my coach, who's 3 divisions above me, (but when we play, he does not ease up. I prefer it that way) and 2 sets with one person 1 division higher, and I feel like I called Mike Tyson a sissy; I'm so sore.

I just think she didn't have any gas left in the tank.

That's not to take away from Ashley. She is playing great, but let's give kudos where they're due.

But, she's an athlete, and young. That means she will recover fast, so let's look forward to Amelia Island, and wish her the best there.

..Joe

Actually, I think I mentioned that, Joe. Couple posts back. I think it's a theory that holds water.

Jouissant, last year she fell in the opening round of Miami, the 2nd round of AI, the second round of charleston, and dropped 1 of her two fed cup matches (L-Schnyder). She didn't start to pick things up until getting over to europe, reaching the QF at hamburg and Berlin, losing 1r at rome, and the 4th at the French. So .... she doesn't have many points off, and even with results that she attained here at FCC '03, she'll gain.

Tennis Fool
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Dani made her name for beating Hingis at a Tier I, just as Iva made her name by beating Hingis at the French.

IMHO, Dani=overrated.

Central
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:33 AM
And, in your opinion, is Iva overrated too?

Dani made a huge impact for winning her first trophy the way, the place and the moment she did it. But she's won some matches since then...
Is she nš1? no. Is she nš5? maybe no. Is she top 10-12? Considering she's made it to the last eight in every tournament she's played this year but IW and Miami, I'd say she is

Dawn Marie
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:24 AM
I like her game, and she has it all. Serve, volleys,change of ball direction, backhand, forhand. She is in a sophmore slump that is all.

I think she is still the most talented of all the newbies that I've seen play inawhile. She is slam material in my opinion and has what it takes. Imho I think she can very well win a slam before the following players:

Justine
Kim
Jelena
Deja
Myskina
Bovina
Vera V.
Meg. Shaugnessy

She reminds me of Venus when venus first started out. Not as tough as Vee perhaps but I get good vibes about this daniela.

ksgyh
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:49 AM
I'm really beginning to worry about Dani's potential being unrealized. I know there is still time, but what if she turns into a Safin?? (All talent, no results.) She does seem motivated. She has the variety in her game, no doubt, but argh, it's so frustrating to watch one of my favorite players throw *tons* of points away with stupid strategy and unforced errors... (Her stats are painful to see.) Patience, I know, but it's all there just waiting to be taken. Come on, Dani, we are all rooting for you to start showing that complete package of a game you have hinted at possessing!!

Why do we keep making excuses for her like, "oh, she must be exhausted"?? No more than any other player. The preceding tournaments, matches, etc., though they are not completely within her control, she can dictate how she wants to train, how many tournaments to enter, etc. I don't like the "tired" excuse. All players are subjected to the same circumstances. Dani, please take some hints from your doubles partner: hit the weights, focus on fitness, don't let fatigue become an issue in matches.

A Dani fan who hopes Dani is kicking her own butt right now

1jackson2001
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Dani really should only lose about half those matches she lost this year. Losing to Venus is understandable..but some of the losses are eh...

Still, she's been consistent in the slams..making the QF's at the them is not shabby at all....she just needs to be consistent all the way around on tour. Good luck to her...I think she'll be able to pull out of this slump and really make run at the big events. :D :D

Tarsius
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:39 AM
I was quite worried. But with the opinions here from people who know better, I think Im calming down.

Seriously though, these results of late (aside from IW) are basically the same as last year's. And I dont think she broke into the top 10 last year by winning IW. IMO she did that with good Slam results, so I'll wait for those results to come in. But still...