PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting point raised by Lindsay about Kim ...

Sofiane
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:13 AM
Q. A lot of questions to Kim Clijsters was, "How do you beat the Williams girls"? I'd like to ask you, how do you beat Kim Clijsters?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think those three have been playing at a level above all the other players. Kim was so close at the Australian Open to getting through to the finals, and I think she had a good shot of winning.

But I think Kim, you know, is playing with a lot of confidence right now. She kind of turned the tide last year winning some tournaments in Europe, then winning the season-ending tournament for herself. She's very fast, playing with more confidence and more sure of herself. I think that you've got to attack her.

But it's tough. I mean, a lot of it is going to depend on how she's playing that day.

-----------------------------
I think that Lindsay knows more about the tennis game than any poster in here. I find it funny when a lot of people, says that Kim wins only when her oponent is off (her wins over Linds, Henin, Chanda..), ok Lindsay says, it depends on how Kim is playing. Thanks Lindsay for this insight.

Jakeev
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:32 AM
I think Ai Sugiyama proved that exact point in Scottsdale........

gokimmmy1884
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:43 AM
I think Ai Sugiyama proved that exact point in Scottsdale........

Kim is play better and better. Kim has a good draw so she can win.

GOOOOOOOOOOOO KIMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYY.

harloo
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:49 AM
Kim has a good draw so she can win.

This comment says it all.

Rocketta
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:51 AM
Yeah how come the few seeds in Kims draw love to lose early. :D

Hawk
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:57 AM

Kim is appeasing the tennis gods ;) :p :angel:

It's true her draws have been easy but so far when she's had to play a top ten player..like Henin-Hardenne or Davenport..she has still won :)

bis2806
Mar 23rd, 2003, 05:54 AM
oh god... Lindsay will take out Kim this time.....

irma
Mar 23rd, 2003, 05:58 AM
well sofiane
that's the story of our favourite players;)

1jackson2001
Mar 23rd, 2003, 06:55 AM
Lindsay always knows what she is talking about...one of the several reasons why she is one of my fave players. :D

Dava
Mar 23rd, 2003, 08:37 AM
I feel Kim is pretty inbeatable, against Ai she did not play at all well, it was such a broing match. I mean I like Ai and everything, but it was poor poor poor!!!

I feel the player most likely to beat Clijsters are those with good power and consistant groundstrokes like V, Rena, J. Cap, Davenport, Jelena etc. but they would have to play very well in order to win those sets.

TeeRexx
Mar 23rd, 2003, 08:49 AM
A mute point because Kim or Big Davey will lose to either SERENA or VENUS anyway. :)

TR
Bye. :wavey:

Jericho
Mar 23rd, 2003, 02:54 PM

It's true her draws have been easy but so far when she's had to play a top ten player..like Henin-Hardenne or Davenport..she has still won :)

not at antwerp she didnt :p ;)

selesfan
Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:05 PM

And she always has the easier seeds in her draw anyway. I like Kim, but I would like her to start winning with some tougher draws.

selesfan
Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:08 PM
I feel Kim is pretty inbeatable, against Ai she did not play at all well, it was such a broing match. I mean I like Ai and everything, but it was poor poor poor!!!

I feel the player most likely to beat Clijsters are those with good power and consistant groundstrokes like V, Rena, J. Cap, Davenport, Jelena etc. but they would have to play very well in order to win those sets.
I agree, Jen especially, she has never lost to Kim. Lindsay has a hard time against Kim because Kim changes the pace of the ball a lot and Lindsay doesn't like that, she always wants the ball to come back hard and flat.

Rocketta
Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:20 PM

hehe somebody upstairs is smiling on her. :) It's cool though its Kim's time to shine and she is making the most of her opportunities. :)

c2
Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:25 PM
Rocketta, why can't all Williams fans be like you? :wavey:

Chris_Martin's_woman
Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:26 PM
It would be really great to see Kim take over the #1 spot.......now if only Lleyton could have ahd better luck this tourney.....that hotel is going down!:fiery:

Rocketta
Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:28 PM
Rocketta, why can't all Williams fans be like you? :wavey:

I'm special! :p :devil:

no in all seriousness thanks for the compliment but there are a lot like me more so than not like me. :)

c2
Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:43 PM
oK I'll try to keep an open mind :p maybe I just remember the bad ones more than the good ones :)

jmp
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:47 PM
Lindsay has a point that the outcome of a match with Kim depends on how she's playing that day. But, I think Kim is more consistent than that statement implies. I think Kim needs to take charge of a match mentally and play like she's already holding the trophy.

Kim was tenacious and quite impressive in her final against Jennifer in the French finals. I felt that championship could have gone either way. The difference was Jennifer's sheer strength of will and the experience of already being a slam champion.

When Kim's game dropped off last year, her confidence went with it. She's got her game back and she finally seemed to have the confidence when she beat Lindsay at IW. I believe she can be a consistent champion if she gets the "sprint" mentality when she has the edge over her opponent - i.e. she needs to be a good front runner, she needs to convert break points, and she needs to close sets/matches. Since she is one of the few elite players who actually gets these opportunities, I don't see why she can't go all the way.

Hawk
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:54 PM
I agree, Jen especially, she has never lost to Kim. Lindsay has a hard time against Kim because Kim changes the pace of the ball a lot and Lindsay doesn't like that, she always wants the ball to come back hard and flat.

It's interesting because that seems to be how Mauresmo is beating Jennifer as well. Mauresmo mixes it up alot and she's beaten Jen by doing that. I wonder how Kim would match up with Jen now..they haven't played each other in awhile.

irma
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:55 PM
I think indian wells was the last step in showing how much she grew sin ce summer 2002. she said herself that she didn't fell perfect and she fought and won.
:D

selesfan
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:59 PM
It's interesting because that seems to be how Mauresmo is beating Jennifer as well. Mauresmo mixes it up alot and she's beaten Jen by doing that. I wonder how Kim would match up with Jen now..they haven't played each other in awhile.

I can't wait to see that matchup again also. I was hoping Jen would be in Kim's draw.

Hulet
Mar 23rd, 2003, 06:50 PM
Q. A lot of questions to Kim Clijsters was, "How do you beat the Williams girls"? I'd like to ask you, how do you beat Kim Clijsters?

I can't believe a journalist asked other players the same question I proposed for them to ask in my "Kim Clijsters domination" thread.:)

Simplify
Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:55 PM
I think Kim has finally arrived to that championship level. Before anyone jumps on me, lemme explain.

I think that even though she lost to Serena at Oz, it helped her alot. She KNOWS that she is right there, and just needs to take that next step and get that big win. (Not discounting the '01 French experience) The win at the Championships was big, but she didn't follow it up at Oz. I'm sure she gained even more confidence at IW.

I'm predicting that she will beat BOTH sisters at this tourney if she plays them! And once that happens, she will start to roll!! :bounce: :bounce:

For many players, there always seems to be a big match or tourney that gets them over the hump, and off and running. I think this will be the one for Kim.

Serendy Willick
Mar 23rd, 2003, 08:11 PM
A healthy and playing well Venus and Serena will take down Kim anyday.

VeniVididVicious
Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:09 PM
A healthy, playing well Venus/Serena will beat Kim.

Right.

As though neither of them has been beaten when they played well.

Clijsters def. Venus 1-6 6-3 6-4 Venus played awesome that day.

Hingis def. Serena 6-2 3-6 8-6 Serena played awesome that day.

Henin def. Serena 6-2 1-6 7-6 Serena played awesome that day.

Etc.

Clijsters, playing well, can beat a Williams sister playing well. Clijsters, playing well, can lose to a Williams sister playing well. All three of them have lost playing excellent matches.

Simplify
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:29 AM
We're getting closer and closer to maybe seeing some of that excellent tennis. :)

SerenaSlam
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:41 AM
A healthy, playing well Venus/Serena will beat Kim.

Right.

As though neither of them has been beaten when they played well.

Clijsters def. Venus 1-6 6-3 6-4 Venus played awesome that day.

Hingis def. Serena 6-2 3-6 8-6 Serena played awesome that day.

Henin def. Serena 6-2 1-6 7-6 Serena played awesome that day.

Etc.

Clijsters, playing well, can beat a Williams sister playing well. Clijsters, playing well, can lose to a Williams sister playing well. All three of them have lost playing excellent matches.
good pts made, venus did play well in hamburg, the first damn set, after that its was nothing but errors, just like im said, she let her in the match. kim said venus was on a roll and just kept hitting winners, she would've been done for if she had kept that up. You have to consdier things besides the score. I've watched that match, and venus played Very similar to her win against Amelie Mauresmo 6-4 in the third at the 2002 US Open...i don't call that play Awesome. Henin did defeat Serena, but also I saw that match, and Serena wasn't the Serena she saw the following week in the Rome final where serena took her out in staright sets, mind you justine played the same level as she did in Berlin. Kim/Justine can get to Venus/Serena when their winners/errors are close, but if they are smaking winners and have low errors, barely making mistakes, their wins will be routine. If Venus/Serena are playing well, and Kim/Justine are, they are done for, Venus/Serena playing well don't let their opponents in their matches. Just like when Serena beat Amelie and Venus beat Justine at 2002 Wimbledon.

Simplify
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:51 AM
I'm sure that what you've stated has some relevance, but I just think that this time Kim will prevail and will be on her way to having a very good year.

rikvanlooy
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:29 PM
I don't think Kim will beat Serena.

Serena is just too good.

BTW, Kim hasn't played that well since the AO.

I saw the finals against Venus and Ai and Kim didn't play as well as in the beginning of the year.

Last week she lost a set against Dechy.

She plays well, but not good enough to touch the Williams sisters. Can Kim still improve her game ? I'm not sure.

I thought Justine couldn't improve any more, but she has had some spectaculair wins this year (Davenport, Seles and Capriati). In the second set against Kim (semi final in Antwerp) she began to play better and better. One moment I thought she would defeat Kim.

How do Kim, Serena and Venus compare at the age of 19 year (wins and finals at a GS, WTA-finals and wins, ranking, ...) ?

I think Kim doesn't look that bad in that comparison. Since the new age rule, Kim has had the best results.