PDA

View Full Version : What's going to happen with the #2 ranking after the NASDAQ?

shups
Mar 23rd, 2003, 02:44 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I wanted to try to get a clear understanding on what might happen with the #2 ranking after the NASDAQ is completed? Can Venus actually loose it? Can Clijsters actually take it from Venus regardless of how well Venus does? Can she really increase the gap if she wins the whole thing? If she does win, does it matter who she beats to get there?

Thanks in advance. :cool:

Venus Forever
Mar 23rd, 2003, 02:45 AM
Nothing will happen to Venus' #2 ranking after this tournament.;)

Kim can't capture it here, but it will be interesting during the clay season.

Hawk
Mar 23rd, 2003, 02:48 AM
There was a slight chance that Venus could lose it..but it really required her losing early and Kim basically winning the whole thing. Venus is safe for the moment ;)

shups
Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:06 AM
Great to hear Venus' ranking is safe. I hope she can do well enough, possibly even win the whole thing and increase that gap between her and Clijsters and hopefully continue to increase her lead throughout the clay court season! :bounce:

Leena
Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:08 AM
Rankings mean shit... when Venus has a full schedule of points, or Kim can get to 2 GS finals in the next year, then it might mean something.

1jackson2001
Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:21 AM
If Venus was at all worried about her #2 ranking..she would have scheduled to play more. ;)

Leena
Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:35 AM
I think Vee cares about the rankings... but I think she cares about porking Italian sausage more.

1jackson2001
Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:46 AM
Oh she cares all right...I didn't say she doesn't care. But she is not worried about losing her ranking. ;) She's confident that she will keep it.

Ting
Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:56 AM
Kim does not care about her ranking anyway :)
I guess the only difference between being #2 and #3 for her is just that one is 1 spot from #1 and the other is 2 spot away :)

BK4ever
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:05 AM
The problem for Vee is going to be Wimbledon. Given the fact that Kim is not defending much at RG and Vee is defending finalist points, Kim could potentially take over after RG and therefore get the #2 seeding at Wimby

Jericho
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:09 AM
The problem for Vee is going to be Wimbledon. Given the fact that Kim is not defending much at RG and Vee is defending finalist points, Kim could potentially take over after RG and therefore get the #2 seeding at Wimby

if vee does drop to #3 by wimby, judging by the fact that venus has reached the finals for the past 3 years winning two and that kim arguably sucks on grass, its a possibility that they will give vee #2...

Pureracket
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:17 AM
if vee does drop to #3 by wimby, judging by the fact that venus has reached the finals for the past 3 years winning two and that kim arguably sucks on grass, its a possibility that they will give vee #2...
That's exactly what I was going to say. Even if Venus is #3 by Wimbledon, I can't see them seeding her much lower than #2. Then again, Venus may surprise us all during the clay court season and add a few tournies. I know she has nothing to defend at the Italian.

Chance
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:29 AM
I can see it happening, if they don't want an AWF then they will stick with the rankings

I was anxious before but what can you do, we'll just have to wait and see.

1jackson2001
Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:00 AM
Good points brought up...it shall be interesting to see.

hinquit
Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:07 AM
Venus holds the number 2 spot for almost four years and she held the
number 3 spot for long time as well.
I think the only way Kim will get to that number 2 spot is to play
every tournament just the same way Hingis did to keep number 1 ranking
for 4 four years. To get the spot is not that difficult but to keep it
is another thing totally.
Venus never get this spot by default or playing every tournament.
She gets and holds because she has the ability winning and defending
her tittles. If Kim can do the same, then she may have a little chance
to even keep her number 3 ranking.
P.S. Something I notice is since Martina Hingis ran away(so called retirement) from Venus and Serena, there are so many people on this
board who are concerned about ranking the very way they did when Martina Hingis was playing.