PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the Russians?

smarties
Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:28 PM
Myskina
Bovina
Kuznetsova
Zvonareva
Dementieva
Sharapova
Safina

Aside from the last 2 who are much younger, I can't explain there play in this tourney. What is wrong with them is it the pressure??? Is it growing pains??? Out of this bunch, Bovina is the one who disappoints me the most; she seems to be following the path of Dementieva...

the cat
Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:35 PM
There play this year can only be described by one word. Appalling! :eek: It's obvious once these Russian tennis players have high expectations to succeed they can't handle it. They are just wasting there talent. No one realistically expects them to ever challenge the top of tennis. Because they don't have the weapons and desire to be champions. But they should be playing much better than they are.

I don't get the feeling that these Russian girls commit themselves to be champions or the best they can be the way the top players do. Look at someone like Meaghann Shaunnessy. She has worked out religiously to get in the best shape she can possibly be in. And it's paid off in her results. Why can't the Russian girls give that kind of committment? :confused:

smarties
Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:48 PM
I don't agree with you the cat, I think that on the contrary, there's so much expectations (look at a teenager like Sarapova for example) that they can't handle the pressure. It's like the Russian system does a great job developping the technical part of their game but a lousy one on the mental aspect; I doubt they have sports psychologists.

the cat
Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:14 PM
How do you disagree with me?

And of course Russian athletes can use sports psychologists if they want to. But most of them are too stubborn to use a sports psychologist.

BK4ever
Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:23 PM
chill out people...one bad tournament and u guys are in hysterics :eek:

Gowza
Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:39 PM
actually for a lot of them it isn't just one bad tournament.

Myskina
Sharapova
Safina

all did poorly at IW. myskina has had a good year but the other 2 have had dreadful years.

kuznetsova has alos had a bad year i think her best result is 3rd at IW so far.

zvonareva had a good first tournament but from then on until IW she was doing very badly.

dementieva and bovina have had ok years. imo dementieva was doing alot better than last year until she got this miami result and bovina is still stuck in that streaky stage, it's almost as if she is back peddling. but i personally wouldn't say bovina, dementieva or myskina have had bad years. plus they have all moved up the rankings. myskina into the top 10 for the first time, dementieva back into the top 20 and bovina into the top 16.

Infiniti2001
Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:56 PM
They're coming, they're coming :p

Gowza
Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:58 PM
yes just wait. they are getting a lot of valueable experiences from this year and when they mature they are going to be a force.

salima
Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:09 PM
I believe they are coming. But. i have met and seen Russian coaches in my sport, and they have a knowledge of fysiology, but of psykology, many of them are blank. With a philosophy of scaring children to perform better, you break down confidence instead of building on it. Obviously there is good coaches in all sports in Russia, but unfortunately there are lousy ones in numbers.
Of this tennis ladies, Sharapova and Safina has rarely been in the Russian system.

GoDominique
Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:12 PM
They can't serve.

Dava
Mar 22nd, 2003, 10:01 PM
I think to panic about the state of Russian tennis after some poor results in one tournament is a bit OTT, Vera, Elena B and Elena D all did really well at Indian Wells.

Personally I feel the reasons Russians struggle in later life is due to the pressure that is put on them to continue the success they had in there jnr careers. I dont just meen russians, many juniors do not make it as top senior players.

AKTW
Mar 24th, 2003, 03:50 PM
They will leave these bad days and show us their power!

Leena
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:31 PM
It's not just 1 tournament... it's 10 billion years of Russians underachieving in every sport.

What's wrong with QUEEN ELENA BOVINA? Pfff... read 1 of my 1775 posts... or better yet... GO HERE http://www.wtaworld.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=209

What's wrong with MYSKINA? She has incredible mobility, but her strokes can be off at times, and she's not powerful enough or has the talent to win when she's off.

What's wrong with DEMENTIEVA? Little confidence in her game now. Pathetic serve.

The rest are babies and their time will come to blow it like the people mentioned above.

Lena :fiery:

c2
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:24 PM
poor Lena.. you do sound disappointed :sad:

c2
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:24 PM
it is really hard when the players you love underperform...

John Inverdale
Mar 24th, 2003, 09:03 PM
What's wrong with the Russians?
They don't play rugby.

And they like T.A.T.U

smarties
Mar 25th, 2003, 12:47 AM
Lol:)