PDA

View Full Version : In wta history who is the greatest lefty to play tennis?

selesadmirer
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:02 PM
In wta history who do you think is the greatest lefty to play tennis?Who do you think?

Dava
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:03 PM
Martina Navratilova

Vincent
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:24 PM
In wta history who do you think is the greatest lefty to play tennis?Who do you think?
you expert the answer to be MONICA SELES, isn't it? :p

irma
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:30 PM
Nav. sorry for Monica but she has not chance in this. it's not based on her ruined singlescareer but on the other thing she didn't do and nav did;)

selesrules
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:47 PM
Monica. She dominated the tour with both Graf and Navratilova playing up until the stabbing. She even had a 4-1 record in grandslam finals against both of them. For more indepth information, read my signature :kiss:

bbypk
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:48 PM
Martina for sure ;)

luv-ya
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:54 PM
Monica, if they were to play at their prime,
i would have to give the edge to Monica,
Martina will probably win Wimbledon like she did,
but Monica got a Slam at 16........
and on clay and hardcourt,
Martina wont be able to outrun Monica,
so
GO MONICA....:)

Darran
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:57 PM
Matina Navratilova definately.

Brαm
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:04 PM
Navratilova (duh)!

irma
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:04 PM
no it's not monica. nav had to play twice as many matches, while monica only had the singles;)

monica had not survived if she had played singles, doubles and mixed :p

;) (j/k)

selesrules
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:20 PM
no it's not monica. nav had to play twice as many matches, while monica only had the singles;)

monica had not survived if she had played singles, doubles and mixed :p

;) (j/k)

The same can be said about Graf then... :kiss:

irma
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:21 PM
of course, how do you think I got the idea;)

Rollo
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:23 PM
Forget the doubles totally and Navratilova is still the best lefty ever-hands down. She's arguably the greatest ever.

Without a Wimbledon Monica's record is incomplete at the best ever level-simple as that.

Martina beat Seles even when she was over the hill and Monica was in her prime.

No disrespect to Seles intended-but it's clearly Martina:)

irma
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:28 PM
where there not more great left-handed players in history?

selesrules
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:30 PM
Without a Wimbledon Monica's record is incomplete at the best ever level-simple as that.

If people can claim that Sampras is the greatest ever even though he has not won all the slams, then Seles is no difference. PLUS, at least Monica has a huge excuse which is that she got stabbed in her prime, she at least made the final, and most importantly she had a better record then both Graf and Navratilova at Wimbledon a similar stage/age in their careers. Don't let a criminal decide greatness :kiss:

Xian
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:32 PM
Yes the great Martina :worship:

Ryan
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:34 PM
Martina Navratilova, no question at all.

luv-ya
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:45 PM
If people can claim that Sampras is the greatest ever even though he has not won all the slams, then Seles is no difference. PLUS, at least Monica has a huge excuse which is that she got stabbed in her prime, she at least made the final, and most importantly she had a better record then both Graf and Navratilova at Wimbledon a similar stage/age in their careers. Don't let a criminal decide greatness :kiss:
agreed.....if Seles never got stabbed, she would have gone on
and won more Slams than Steffi for sure......
and i think you guys have to remember that
back then and now, the tour has changed much,
Martina N would never be able to do as well as she did,

if you put Martina N and Williams sis in the same era,
it's quite obvious, Martina N wont get the Slams as easy as she did,
just coz Monica never played double, you cannot take
her singles achievement away from her....
is Christ Evert lesser of a player than Martina then?

irma
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:48 PM
steffi was not left-handed last time I watched her!
neither was chris evert;)

luv-ya
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:51 PM
steffi was not left-handed last time I watched her!
neither was chris evert;)
oh well, u got my point,
Serena rarely plays doubles, would you say she is not
as good a player as Anna K? who was ranked #1 doubles
and has doubles Slam titles, and achieved much more in doubles,
probably not,
people use only showings in singles
to determine if "a" single player is good or not,

irma
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:54 PM
serena and anna?

serena 6 doubles grand slam titles + 2 mixed
anna 2 double grand slam titles + 0 mixed

MLF
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:58 PM
Martina Navratilova - greatest leftie ( or rightie ;) ) ever.

irma
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:59 PM
and btw even on singles nav can be called the greatest of all and I always said that includes steffi too (who my only reason for being number 1 on my list is because I am her biased fan nothing more :cool: )

hingis-seles
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:05 PM
Martina's the greatest! But then again, Martina is the greatest-lefty or righty! :worship:

SM
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:09 PM
Navratilova* is my answer. The asterisk at the end because Monica seemed on trajectory to surpass her IMO )in singles only) as she was only 19, achieved so much and wa sonly going to get so much better in 93-95.

Having said that, the asterisk is there cos we can never truly know and i doubt Martina will ever be surpassed.

i like both btw :cool:

-Sonic-
Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:02 PM
Martina Navratilova. I can't really see an argument for anyone else looking at actual results.

luv-ya
Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:08 PM
Navratilova* is my answer. The asterisk at the end because Monica seemed on trajectory to surpass her IMO )in singles only) as she was only 19, achieved so much and wa sonly going to get so much better in 93-95.

Having said that, the asterisk is there cos we can never truly know and i doubt Martina will ever be surpassed.

i like both btw :cool:
yeah, i thought so too,
too bad for Monica........
now everyone else is trashing her...... :fiery:
and i say my fav Monica is the best lefties in WTA history

Wojtek
Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:11 PM
Matina Navratilova

irma
Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:24 PM
luv ya who is trashing Monica?
I hope you didn't me and the doubles comments since I wasn't serious that's why I posted this ;)

I have high respect for Monica the tennisplayer:)

Lapin
Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:38 PM
No offence to Monica fans but it has to be Martina Navratilova!! :D

louloubelle
Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:57 PM
Margaret Court may well have been the greatest leftie in tennis history if she didn't change to hitting the ball with her right hand. When she was a young girl playing tennis with some boys they told her that she had to play right handed because there was never any great lefthanders!!! So she played righthanded even tho she was a lefthander!

Navratilova easily.... you can not compare Monica and Martina because they played each other and Monica led the h2h's. Martina's career was in it's twilight and Monica's was on the rise during this time. The fact that Martina was able to compete with Monica at her age is a testament to her greatness.

CJ07
Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:05 PM
Martina Navratilova without a question
she beat Monica when she was #1 several times as a 30+ year old

and shes still winning titles, grand slams even (doubles but still) at FOURTY SIX!!!!

if Monica takes a top 12 player (hantuchova) to 3 sets and wins titles at fourty six then we'll talk

and about the stabbing, it was tragic, but who knows what could have happened

selesadmirer
Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:12 PM
you expert the answer to be MONICA SELES, isn't it? :p
Maybe/Maybe not :wavey:

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:22 PM
No disrespect to Nav, but....

MONICA SELES

tennisIlove09
Mar 22nd, 2003, 11:35 PM
Navratilova--if she is in the running with Graf for BEST EVER, then she wins best lefty hands down

Joseosu19
Mar 23rd, 2003, 12:21 AM
I'm sorry but Martina Navratilova is the greatest lefty of all, hands down. Just because Monica "could've" been the best, doesn't mean she was the best, and unfortunately we will never know if she could have been the best.

Zummi
Mar 23rd, 2003, 12:25 AM
This is not a very fair question since most Martina fans like Monica and I assume vice-versa too. How do you choose?

The greatest-ever one-handed lefty is Martina :worship:

The greatest-ever two-handed lefty is Monica :worship:

Mattographer
Mar 23rd, 2003, 01:18 AM
Martina Navratilova, of course!

King Lindsay
Mar 23rd, 2003, 01:19 AM
Well, clearly it's Monica. we all know that actual statistics mean nothing. This is MONICA we are talking about. She was STABBED. Because of that, she is THE VERY BEST EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME. NOBODY ELSE'S ACCOMPLISHMENTS MEAN ANYTHING. SCREW NAVRATILOVA! MONICA 4 LIFE!!!!!!

yeah right. it's actually anne-gaelle sidot, and you all know it.

switz
Mar 23rd, 2003, 01:44 AM
Well, clearly it's Monica. we all know that actual statistics mean nothing. This is MONICA we are talking about. She was STABBED. Because of that, she is THE VERY BEST EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME. NOBODY ELSE'S ACCOMPLISHMENTS MEAN ANYTHING. SCREW NAVRATILOVA! MONICA 4 LIFE!!!!!!

yeah right. it's actually anne-gaelle sidot, and you all know it.

bull-shit it is patty schnyder. if she did not have crazy parents, guru and criminal boyfriends then she would have won at least 20 GS singles and many more in doubles.

selesfan
Mar 23rd, 2003, 01:50 AM
Its definitely Martina Naratilova.

King Lindsay
Mar 23rd, 2003, 02:21 AM
Whatever, Switz. Don't let a criminal decide history.

ANNE-GAELLE SIDOT 4 LIFE!

schris
Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:21 PM
Martina Navratilova :worship: :worship: :worship: