PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't monica let herself heal properly before getting on the court again?

selesadmirer
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:55 PM
I really enjoy watching monica but i don't understand why she won't let herself heal completely...By her going and practicising while she is injured she won't accomplish anything.She is at an age of 29 where things don't grasp like they did when she was dominating...Monica just has to heel 100 percent and then slowly come back into playing...Agree or disagree? :sad: :sad: :wavey:

tyk101
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:07 PM
is she practising??

well i've only heard that she's practising her serve which shouldn't exacerbate her injury... anyway, isn't it better to exercise rather than not? It'll speed up the recovery process....

I hope she comes back soon....

sartrista7
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:28 PM
Uh... that's what she IS doing. That's why she pulled out.

Dava
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:38 PM
Erm its hard to say she injures herself in AO then gets to final in Tokyo then pulls out with injury in Doha then gets to final in Dubai, it makes not sense at all!

I think she should have pulled out of both Miami and Indian Wells when she had the uinjury, her place could have gone to someone else. I think she should have waited till the WTA moves onto the green clay.

Volcana
Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:09 PM
a) She knows seeding matters.

b) She knows retirement is closer rather than far away, and she knows any venus she plays could be the last time she plays it.

c) She IS letting herself heal. But when you're as old as her, weigh as much as she does, and play a running sport, injuries are a common occurence.

tyk101
Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:26 PM
it's such a shame
Monica's appearances on the tour are getting less and less....
it seems inevitable her time on the tour is lessening... so sad

i really hope she finds magic for the next few months

oggie
Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:29 PM
Her injury will never heal - it is a chronic problem that won't stop bothering Monica until she stops training. I sort of wish that she had a surgery on it in 2000 when it first started bothering her. I honestly don't think that Monica played a single match this year completely pain free - it is just her sheer will to compete that has made her play all the tournaments this year that she did.

auntie janie
Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:34 PM
Sadly, I think oggie is 100% correct. :sad:

irma
Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:46 PM
Her injury will never heal - it is a chronic problem that won't stop bothering Monica until she stops training. I sort of wish that she had a surgery on it in 2000 when it first started bothering her. I honestly don't think that Monica played a single match this year completely pain free - it is just her sheer will to compete that has made her play all the tournaments this year that she did.

I think somebody told here a while ago that surgery would not make any difference!

CJ07
Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:54 PM
it probably would have made some difference

but Monica just has bum feet

Kart
Mar 23rd, 2003, 02:07 AM
What kind of surgery do you want exactly to heal a stress fracture or whatever it is Monica has ?

She needs to rest, but I don't blame her for continually coming back too early - the kind of time she needs to rest and heal up properly is probably just too much.

King Lindsay
Mar 23rd, 2003, 02:26 AM
nice to see that mmcdonald, after creating a thread called "why didn't monica ever have surgery" still doesn't understand why Monica never had surgery, even though it was explained time and again in that thread. well, i'm just going to let that go then. obviously, it's never going to sink in.

if what monica has is a chronic or frequently recurring injury, then there is no way she can know when it'll bother her again. my guess is that she hit the practice court in preparation for miami and realized she was still feeling pain and it was a no go.

basically, i agree with volcana's point c. although, i gotta say, point b makes no sense. ;)

Gowza
Mar 23rd, 2003, 02:34 AM
actually in a thread around the oz open time when monica got injured people were trying to pick who would play for the usa in the fed cup in april and everyone kept saying i was stupid for saying monica might not play because she might not be fully recovered from injury. it's almost april and she is still struggling from injury and that is what happens when a player comes back to early.

i think monica is really worried about seedings knowing that if you are a high seed then you have a big chance of matching that place in the draw. which then gives them more of a chance to win.