PDA

View Full Version : BOVINA got Choke 4-6 5-7?

Buitenzorg
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:25 AM
Tulyaganova def Bovina 6-4 7-5

Bovina was led the 2nd set 5-1, but suddnely Iroda won 6 game points in the row.

Buitenzorg
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:26 AM
I don't know if this is included of The Choke category ?

But, Congrats to Iroda :D

Better Luck next time Bovina :sad:

Rocketta
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:27 AM
Well seems like a lot of people with potential are struggling right now.

Buitenzorg
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:29 AM
mmmmhhh...I think so Rocketta :D

I just really happy to see a such as strong competitions in the WTA :D

Leena
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:30 AM
No, she didn't choke... she wasn't close to winning.

Very disappointing from Lena... she kept up her streaky shit in a match she should have won.

Oh well, better luck next week.

Rocketta
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:30 AM
Yeah it is tight after the top 8. :)

Gowza
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:32 AM
Iroda is a good player though.

Buitenzorg
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:33 AM
Yeah it is tight after the top 8. :)

:confused:

Buitenzorg
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:33 AM

Yeah she is...she been in The TOP 20 :D

Gowza
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:34 AM
in fact iroda has been as high as #16

~RedRose~
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:54 AM
I would say she did choke ... not the match but the set definately .... if u lead 5-1 u should win the set.
She didnt choke the match though caus eif she had one the second the third could go either way .... if she had one the first set she wouldve choked the match. But anyway .... GREAT WIN IRI!!

Gowza
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:08 AM
i would have to agree that she choked away the 2nd set.

Leena
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:11 AM
That's not choking... it's inconsistency. She doesn't get nervous, or angry anymore.

Lena does this in 90% of her matches... she's the most damned inconsistent player on the face of this earth.

Rocketta
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:24 AM
:confused:

The top 8 is way and above all others but after that anyone can beat anyone anyday of the week. :)

Crazy Canuck
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:25 AM
Thank you, that saves me pointing it out ;)

tennisIlove09
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:57 AM
If Iroda plays every match the way she played in Australia, she would be ranked very high

Iroda_Fan
Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:02 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Well Done Iroda :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
You're my favorite

caramel
Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:20 AM
Good job, Iroda!
Elena :sad: :sad:

Experimentee
Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:22 AM
Bovina can be really streaky. She'll play well for about 5 games, then play really badly for the next 5. If she could just be consistent she'd be a really great player :(

salima
Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:38 AM
Anyone who saw Tulyaganova against Davenport in Australia or against Seles later woud not be suprised. Iroda almost always gets the best out of her play plating against good or top players. :bounce: :worship: She has a mix of winners and UE`s in her play, but this time she kept her UE% low, and her 1 serve was going inn more often than in her recent matches.
The pity is that they had to meet in the 2.nd round already
:kiss: :bounce: :kiss: :bounce:

Buitenzorg
Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:43 AM
:bounce:

Jakeev
Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:56 AM
Iroda is a good a player as Elena. No reason why she should not have had a chance to win the match without dubbing Bovina a choker.

Either way, this has been a rather grueling tournament with heat and illnesses abound.

gmak
Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:03 AM
elena bovina is the most inconsistent player on the tour closely followed by elena dementieva :mad: at least elena b has won 2-3 titles

but congrats to iroda :D she seems to find her game again

Elleke
Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:18 AM
Elena :sad:
congrats Iroda

King Lindsay
Mar 22nd, 2003, 11:50 AM
i thought this seemed like a potential upset on paper. Iroda seems to be getting back to her 2001 form. she plays Pratt in the third round, then maybe serena.

Julian
Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:51 PM
Once Iri is on she can beat almost anybody. Of course this was a VERY streaky match. Iri lead 5-0 in the first and of course Elena led 5-1 in the 2nd..umm girls ever heard of closing it out easily?? ;) lol Very sad for Elena she SHOULD have won this match considering her recent form, but at the same time Im very happy for Iri, she needs to climb back in the rankings and I guess this shows she's finding her form again. I reallyy want to see her play Serena..remember her match against Serena I think it was Indian wells 2 years ago?? :eek:

Dava
Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:57 PM
Shame for Elena, but a good win for Iroda.

ASV
Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:09 PM
Iroda is a very, very streaky player.

I don't think she's won 5 matches in a row since Knokke-Heist 2001. She won a few in Hyberadad, but lost in the final, just short of 4 matches. She has troubles with her body and staying in match-condition. She is frequently injured, and has serious problems with her knee. She was supposed to have surgery on her back/shoulder earlier this year, but it ended up going away. Her style of play, using her whole body to produce power and her awkward serve, with her body like on the ground and her arm and racquet like 5 feet higher, is quite abnormal and very rough on the body. She can play brilliantly in one match, and then like a 10 year old just trying to hit the ball as hard as she can in the next.

She seems to play her best against the top players. She's beaten some of the best, and taken some of the rest to 3 sets and really pushing them. Her record in Miami is stellar. She's always played superb here, and always loses in a tight match.

Here is a look at her record:

Miami USA

WT 21 Mar 2001 - 01 Apr 2001 Hard (O)
Entry: DA
128 W Fang LI (CHN) 6-0 1-0 Retired
64 W Anne-Gaelle SIDOT (FRA) 7-6(12) 6-3
32 L Serena WILLIAMS (USA) 6-3 3-6 2-6

Miami USA

WT 20 Mar 2002 - 31 Mar 2002 Hard (O)
Entry: DA Seed: 15
128 B BYE
64 W Martina MULLER (GER) 6-3 6-2
32 W Ai SUGIYAMA (JPN) 3-6 6-4 7-5
16 L Jennifer CAPRIATI (USA) 5-7 7-5 1-6

She is a very good player, but extremely streaky. In her record, she has bageled someone 13x. These include Fang Li, Paola Suarez, Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin, Gala Leon Garcia, Petra Mandula, Ad. Serra-Zanetti, and Virginia Ruano-Pascual. Someone has given her a bagel 7 times, including: Pratt, Tauziat, Dementieva, Dokic, Schiavone, Capriati, and Lubomira Kurhajkova.

She is really good one moment, and really bad the next.

Iroda is a great person, and a great tennis player. She'll probably beat Pratt and have an epic with Serena, but don't expect much from her in the big stages: the Slams.

salima
Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:23 PM
Good points, dear ASV. As I pointed out earlier, this match was a typical Iroda match as she won the first sets, got out of the rythm, but found it back in the end. For the first time in her carrier Iroda now works seriously with the mental part. We, tennis fans, can hope she not just "fall apart" in her matches against lower ranked players, as she has done before.

If you read ASV view over who Iroda has bageled, the players on the 6-0 list is better than the players on the 0-6 list!!

bolshe miss Tulyaganova :worship: