PDA

View Full Version : Pam Shriver picks Venus

V.S.
Jan 14th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Venus playing strong, smart
By Pam Shriver
Special to ESPN.com

Pam's Picks

SYDNEY, Australia -- It looks as if Venus Williams is the heavy favorite to win the Australian Open. She came down early this year and played last week, winning the Australian Women's Hardcourt Championships over Belgian Justine Henin.

This week, Williams just practiced while others played badly, like Jennifer Capriati, or got injured, like Serena Williams, who decided to pull out of the Australian Open after the schedule was not adjusted to give her an extra day to recover before playing again.

Former No. 1 Martina Hingis won the Adidias International title in Sydney, but she is not playing well enough to win the Australian Open unless power players like Venus play below par.

Kim Clijsters and countrywoman Henin are playing just OK as of now.

Monica Seles might step up, but she is in the tough half with Venus and Hingis.

Lindsay Davenport, who had knee surgery, will be missed as a past Australia Open champion and the No. 1 player -- for now.

Williams Rulez
Jan 14th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Wise choice Pam!!! ;) :D

Rubylips
Jan 15th, 2002, 12:19 AM
Pam finally waking up.:eek:

moon
Jan 15th, 2002, 03:35 AM
Venus is Pam's girl. I believe she's picked Vee to win the last 3 slams.

Jovon
Jan 15th, 2002, 06:04 AM
I think Shriver is one of the few commentators that really knows the multi-faceted, multi-talented Venus, and can objectively speak about her because she has taken the time to get to know Venus. She knows Vee is the real deal, on and off the court.

Excellent pick, Pammy!;) :kiss: :D

Susie
Jan 15th, 2002, 06:23 AM
She was Vee's mentor when she was a just a lil girl, go Pammy! :)

I do like Pammy, always positive about our girls! :)

Who am i to disagree with Pam's picks? ;) GO VEE! :bounce:

Williams Rulez
Jan 15th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Pam shares something in common with Venus...

Reaching the US Open finals on their first try!! Amazing!! :bounce: :bounce: