PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious stomach illnesses continue...

tenn_ace
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:52 AM
Just one comment: I might be wrong, but it seems that they happen only at the tournaments played in the US... USOpen of couple of years ago, Cincinnatti, IW-2003, Miami-2003....

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hewitt upset in opening match at Key Biscayne

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer
March 21, 2003

AP - Mar 21, 9:27 EST
More Photos

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP) -- It was easy to see that fiery Lleyton Hewitt was off his game Friday night, because there was no fist-pumping or chest-thumping during his match -- and none when it ended, either.

The top-ranked Hewitt, left vulnerable by an upset stomach and wobbly groundstrokes, lost his opening match at the Nasdaq-100 Open to Francisco Clavet 6-4, 6-4.

Hewitt's nausea notwithstanding, the result was a stunner because Clavet came into the tournament without a victory this year. At 34 he's the oldest player in the draw and plans to retire at the end of the year.

A qualifier from Spain, Clavet is ranked 178th. It has been nine years since a No. 1 player lost to someone ranked so low, which didn't make Hewitt feel any better.

The Australian blamed his ailment on a room-service meal he ate at his hotel Thursday night. ``I didn't feel great out there,'' he said. ``I was sick as a dog all night. It came quick after I had dinner. I was feeling 100 percent before that.''

Hewitt, who will remain No. 1 despite the loss, twice received treatment from a trainer during changeovers. But smelling salts didn't help.

``I was still sick, and it got worse as the match went on,'' he said.

Hewitt's exit matched the earliest by a top-seeded man at Key Biscayne. Thomas Muster lost in the second round in 1996.

Hewitt was in trouble from the start, falling behind 5-1, and he trailed most of the second set as well. He served poorly and repeatedly missed putaway opportunities.

``I still had a lot of chances to win, even though I played so bad,'' he said.

Clavet beat the scrambling Aussie at his own game, smartly mixing the pace, racing from corner to corner chasing down shots and finally causing an unforced error. Hewitt made 33, compared with 14 for the Spaniard.

``He's the best defensive player in the world,'' Clavet said. ``He's unbelievable, very fast. So I had to try to mix up my game to play some slice, some topspin, slow balls and then suddenly accelerate. I tried to make him attack me, because he doesn't like to do that.''

A stunned stadium waited for a comeback that never came.

``Vamos, Lleyton!'' one fan shouted, but there was no rousing Hewitt from his languor. The upset ended his 12-match winning streak, which included a title at Indian Wells earlier this month.

GBFH
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:54 AM
Conspiracy, conspiracy, it's all a conspiracy!!! ;)

Get better soon, Lleyton :)

WtaTour4Ever
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:56 AM
Did Andre win this last year, is that why Hewitt will remain #1 anyway.

Chance
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:06 AM
yep

Andre defeated roger in the final

selesfan
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:09 AM
Did Andre win this last year, is that why Hewitt will remain #1 anyway.

Yes, Andre won last year.

tennisIlove09
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:10 AM
Serena also has the "virus"; yet she was able to win 7-5 6-1 [and her stats were pretty good too]. Maybe Serena doesn't have it as badly as Hewitt?

TennisHack
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:13 AM
Hmm, and supposedly Serena is sick?

I know that at least one male player was still feeling the effects of the TMS Indian Wells virus . . . do both tournaments get catering from the same place? Do the players stay in the same chain of hotels?

More to tar the ATP with! ;)

tenn_ace
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:18 PM
the thing is: I travel quite a lot and order room service quite a lot too... and hotels that I'm staying at are not as good as Hewitt's (I would imagine) and I never had problems...

Dava
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:40 PM
Its the water, the water I say, its why Anna has not played well sinse she moved to Miami!!!