PDA

View Full Version : Venus/Serena Info (sorry no Miami Report)

Mark43
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:28 AM
Well, I was supposed to usher the box seats for tonights matches but I got stuck in Fort Lauderdale on a never ending job interview for an advertising agency. So no report for tonight...but I definetly have some Venus/Serena stories!

First the crap....My third 'interview' for this rather large corporation consisted of a design test. I had to design an actual ad in as many variations as possible....snore.

When I finally spoke to the creative director, an interesting story emerged...he used to be the next-door neighbor of Venus and Serena in Pompano Beach! No shit! I was chatting up someone in the office about last nights horrifiying Anna debacle and he heard me talking tennis. Apparently this guy lived next door to the Williams in the early 90's before Venus turned pro (read signed contract$) in 1994. He said that Richard drove him crazy. On one occassion he (let's call him John) went outside to mow the lawn. John said every time he was outside Richard was hanging about. So Richard has this professionally rendered story board of a cartoon starring Venus. The thing is, the storyline is 'Fat Albert' but Venus has been inserted as the lead character. John asked what it was for and Richard says that all three major networks are fighting over the rights to this fab 'toon, as they speak. This was back in 1992. John said he rolled his eyes as RW mentioned it would be premiering that fall.

John said one time Richard hauled an old couch out of the house and put it one the side walk for the garbage people to take away. Well, later that week John looked out his window and the couch was on fire and Richard was standing there grinning and watching it burn.

The final straw was some time later when, a car drove by a house a few blocks down and fired gunshots at the front door (huh?). John was renting so he moved out the next month.

John said that Venus and Serena seemed like great kids and were practicing non-stop. They practiced for several hours before and after school.

I always thought the Williams lived in high style in Florida. John said their Pompano Beach neighborhood was nothing like Palm Beach Gradens.

Anyways, I didn't make it to the Nasdaq as I got home after 8 pm (they took me to dinner after the interview). But it was very funny that I got a tennis story afterall. Wierd.

Chance
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:34 AM
cool :D
yeah Richard is a crazy guy lol but he lately he's been quite tame.

tennischick
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:34 AM
what redeems Richard is that so many of his predictions came true. the guy's a big dreamer clearly...;)

thanks for all your reports :kiss:

Mad-About-Venus
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:39 AM
After reading Dave Rineberg's "Venus & Serena" book nothing surprises me anymore about Richard. He is a wacked job.

What counts is what Venus and Serena are today and will be tomorrow. This is what I give him credit for and all I care about.

Chance
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:40 AM
yeah same here, MAV

tennischick
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:01 AM
more Venus info for her fans....

http://www.oceandrive.com/

Infiniti2001
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the laugh Mark... Richard is indeed a few eggs short of a dozen heehehehe :p

Freewoman33
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:56 AM
That's King Richard, alright