PDA

View Full Version : Who will end Serena's Win-Streak?

Rtael
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:05 AM
who???

I don't think anyone other then these four can do it at this point...J. Cap was included because even when she is slumping she and Serena always manage to make it 3 sets...if Capriati got lucky at the right point she could pull of an upset of Serena in one of their matches, I believe =P

AjdeNate!
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:10 AM
I'd put Lindsay Davenport in there, she has the weapons to do it.

Ting
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:15 AM
Hope it will prove that I'm right if Kim plays Serena next week! ;)

Rtael
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:34 AM
I just don't think Davvy is in the right form yet...neither is Cappy for thatmatter, but that doesn't seem to be a factor in Cap Vs. Serena

Mateo Mathieu
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:36 AM
The answer is Jennifer Capriati! They always pushed tight matches!

rated_next
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:49 AM
it'll probably be someone you least expect ... like patty schnyder

Mateo Mathieu
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:57 AM
Most likely is one of all craft players :)

Volcana
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:15 AM
Franchesca Schiavone has a hell of a chance tonight. Serena's got a virus. That's why they moved her match til late. She's going to have endurance problems no matter what. Serena's gonna crank up the winner machine and end points fast. I think she's toast.

Conchita forever
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:23 AM
The flu... :rolleyes:

Ting
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:41 AM
The flu... :rolleyes:

LOL quite true:D

TeeRexx
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:01 AM
Only VENUS or a loss of focus or an injury will stop SERENA.

Jericho
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:02 AM
she does have the flu thats why she couldnt go to her press conference...and i wouldnt be talking LleytonKimRULE especially since kims "cold" at antwerp...

TeeRexx
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:15 AM
There was a bad flu bug floating around IW and SERENA may have contacted the virus from one of the players.

I hope that it isn't to serious, but VENUS is going to win this tournie anyway. :)

tennischick
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:23 AM
none of the above? certanly not Schiavone...:p :p

victory1
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:39 AM
Here's the article, I saw it this afternoon and till Serena took court tonight, I was not sure she would play. I'm so happy she did and prevailed! I'm glad she has the next day off, rest Serena!!!

Virus could sideline top-ranked Serena

By Karen Crouse, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 21, 2003

KEY BISCAYNE -- A stomach virus could accomplish what nobody on the court has been able to manage this year: Stop Serena Williams.

Williams was too sick Thursday to attend a scheduled news conference with older sister Venus at the Nasdaq-100 Open. The Palm Beach Gardens resident is slated to play Francesca Schiavone of Italy tonight on the Stadium court at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park.

Adam Barrett, the tournament director, said he moved Williams' 2003 Miami debut back to the second evening match on the showcase court, after No. 1-ranked Lleyton Hewitt's tournament opener against Francisco Clavet, to give Serena as much time as possible "to rest and get her strength back."

"First off, we hope she's feeling better," Barrett said. "She's the No. 1 seed. She's the defending champion. She's won the last four Grand Slams. She's 11 and 0 this year. As a tournament director, yeah, I'm concerned."

Serena, 21, was supposed to appear alongside her sister to promote an Internet auction they are holding to benefit the Tom Joyner Foundation. Venus, 22, appeared at the podium alone. At one point, she looked over her shoulder at a cardboard promotional picture of Serena for Doublemint gum and said, "There she is. She's not too talkative."

Later, when Venus was asked why Serena couldn't make it to the news conference, she squirmed in her seat and said, "She just wasn't able to make it."

Meilen Tu made it through her first-round match but just barely. Tu and Boca Raton's Bethanie Mattek battled on the Stadium court under a very hot sun for nearly three hours. Mattek pulled out the match, 6-1, 6-7(4), 7-6(4), after which Tu fainted.

"Everything shut down after I shook the umpire's hand," said Tu, who was carried off and treated for heat exhaustion. She said in the third set she started cramping in both hamstrings, both calves, her left quadriceps and her right (serving) arm.

Other than that, Tu felt as fresh as spring. Richard Gasquet, the youngest player in the men's draw at 16 years, 9 months, also wilted in the extreme heat.

Gasquet was forced to retire because of heat exhaustion while down 2-1 in the third in his match against Jean-Rene Lisnard.

In other matches, Anna Kournikova lost to Dinara Safina 6-1, 6-4, Boca Raton's Vince Spadea defeated Christophe Rochus 6-3, 6-4 and Mark Philippoussis eliminated Feliciano Lopez 7-6 (5), 6-4.

Spadea, who will face fifth-seeded Carlos Moya in the next round, provided the last word on the heat. "It was very hot," he said. "It's hard to stay totally hydrated during a match like that. It was a hot day and the wind didn't help much. I'm from Florida, so what I say counts."

karen_crouse@pbpost.com

CJ07
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:43 AM
Venus
Tendonitis
Nerves

Buitenzorg
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:46 AM
Capriati, Venus, Justine, Kim, Lindsay, Chanda or Bovina :D

1jackson2001
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:47 AM
If it's a player who beats her when she's healthy, then it's gonna be Venus who defeats her.

caramel
Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:02 AM
Out of this poll it has to be Venus!

Rtael
Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:23 AM
I'm still rooting for Karolina Sprem to do it ;)

BasicTennis
Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:25 AM
Serena's winning streak would end in 2005.;)

QUEENLINDSAY
Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:29 AM
Lindsay has all the weapons to do it and it will happen in the quarters.

BasicTennis
Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:37 AM
sorry, Lindsay will be trashed by Serena in the quarterfinals.:devil:

Tennisfan-Mtl
Mar 22nd, 2003, 10:34 AM
I have a feeling that the only one able to beat her is Clijsters :) We'll see :)

Ting
Mar 22nd, 2003, 10:41 AM
I just thought of one: Lleyton Hewitt :p

bis2806
Mar 22nd, 2003, 10:44 AM
Where the hell is Lindsay's name????? She's the one who's gonna stop Serena!

per4ever
Mar 22nd, 2003, 10:50 AM
Justine Henin on clay :)

arn
Mar 22nd, 2003, 11:29 AM
Justine Henin on clay :)

I totally agree!! :) :) :)

BasicTennis
Mar 22nd, 2003, 11:46 AM
Serena will bury Justine on clay.;)

Cersei
Mar 22nd, 2003, 11:50 AM