PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open may switch to new date

Infiniti2001
Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:43 AM
SportsTicker

MELBOURNE, Australia (Ticker) - The Australian Open could move to a March date, according to Tennis Australia president Geoff Pollard.

Pollard told the Melbourne Herald Sun on Friday that the switch from January would make sense for the health of tennis worldwide.

"We're happy with January, but if you look at ideals, it's hard to say it should stay in January," Pollard said.

Australian Open chief executive Paul McNamee has admitted he has received a good response from international broadcasters to the idea of a switch.

"You have to have an open mind. It's bold, maybe ambitious, but it's good to look at it," McNamee said.

However, one concern is that if the Grand Slam tournament is pushed back two months it will clash with the Melbourne Grand Prix, and Grand Prix Corporation chairman Ron Walker will fight "tooth and nail" to stop the move from happening.

"You can't have a Grand Prix, a Moomba (an annual Australian festival), an air show, the tennis and the football starting in one month," Pollard said.

A decision will be made within the next 12 months, but no switch could occur until 2007.

03-21-03 19:39 ET

GBFH
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:28 AM
2007...yeah, love the efficiency of the ITF ;)
I'd hate to see the F1 race screwed with, but hey, they could swap places with Malaysia.

Speaking of F1, go team Ferrari :)

venusfan
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:29 AM
Walker was also unimpressed by suggestions tennis players would welcome a move to February/March for the first major tournament of the year.

"Like grand prix drivers, tennis players get paid millions of dollars a year to entertain the public," he was quoted as saying in The Australian newspaper on Friday.

"If they're inconvenienced, so be it."

So true... let the players get regular jobs then have to work 8-10 hrs a day with no day off for 5days.

GBFH
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:45 AM
Very true...and unlike F1 drivers, tennis players don't have to play every event to reach number one. Honestly, I think the Aussie Open should be the *indoors* major, and played in October...season starts on clay in April...but that's just my opinion.

SIS69
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:58 AM
If players were not so obsessed with lining their pockets by playing these tournies in late Nov - Dec a January start would not be an issue.

c2
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:01 AM
It's not just lining their pockets SIS69, it's also rankings

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:07 AM
I am opposed to any move. Walker has a point; a March AO would be disastrous unless the Grand Prix moved. Even then you wouldn't get the crowds outside of the weekend. This is a fine way to stuff up a great tournament.

If the players don't get enough rest, they don't have to play so many tournaments. It's their choice. The top female players (the Willies, Amelie, JenCap etc) know better. The ones who really need the money are probably delighted to have a long season without a lot of time off. They can all do what is best for them.

It does sound precious when most people have to work day in, day out for little money, doing something that is not much fun, with few chances to take time off.

TS
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:10 AM
I'm not happy with it...but since when did the fans (you know the one's that actually pay to go) have a say?

Why not just shorten the tour for an earlier finish? Ah bugger it, who can be arsed arguing...

DutchieGirl
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:52 AM
2007...yeah, love the efficiency of the ITF ;)
I'd hate to see the F1 race screwed with, but hey, they could swap places with Malaysia.

Speaking of F1, go team Ferrari :)

:rolleyes: No, it's not that the ITF are not efficient. It's just that it CAN'T be moved till 2007 coz in 2006, Melbourne has the Commonwealth Games! A move would make them clash!

DutchieGirl
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:56 AM
I'm not happy with it...but since when did the fans (you know the one's that actually pay to go) have a say?

Why not just shorten the tour for an earlier finish? Ah bugger it, who can be arsed arguing...
lol that's what I've been saying... shortner the tour from the other end! ;) But no, we couldn't possibly MOVE any of the events at the end of the year! :rolleyes:

I read the whole article yesterday - it was in the Herald-Sun in Melbourne. I still think it's a bad idea, so totally not convinced, especially as they listed all the other sports on during March - F1, start of football season, basketball finals, plus we also have Moomba and there was something else as well, which I have forgotten. Although, the idea I did like was making it a twilight event - starting matches at 1 or 2pm. (Suits me, coz then I can sleep in) ;)

GBFH
Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:00 AM
:rolleyes: No, it's not that the ITF are not efficient. It's just that it CAN'T be moved till 2007 coz in 2006, Melbourne has the Commonwealth Games! A move would make them clash!

:rolleyes: thanks for clarification ;)

DutchieGirl
Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:03 AM
:rolleyes: thanks for clarification ;)

No probs! :D *wishing the Commonwealth Games weren't until 2010* ;)

GBFH
Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:06 AM
If you don't mind my asking, what exactly are the Commonwealth Games?

DutchieGirl
Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:26 AM
If you don't mind my asking, what exactly are the Commonwealth Games?

Pretty much a lesser version of the Olympics. Some of the sports aren't held, and it's only open for countries within the British Commonwealth (ie those countries that were colonised by Britain - Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, etc etc).

switz
Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:36 AM
it is just a stupid idea. all the european indoor tournaments are a waste, as they never attract all the best players, so they become weak tier ones (although i am happy about that because patty won the swisscom bc of that!). the aussie open would be stuffed up if it was in may because melbourne is AFL mad, and the F1 is really popular, and so it would just mean that the australian open would lose a lot of its appeal. of course i am bias because i get to go and watch it due to uni holidays, althugh by 2007 i think i might have finished, actually i would have just finished all the requirements to practice law in australia.

Experimentee
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:10 PM
Why not end the season in October instead of moving the AO? I dont think any changes are necessary, it is doing great in January and one of the things i love is probably the hot summer atmosphere. If it was moved to March a lot of schoolkids wouldnt be able to attend and that would be really bad for the tournament. I dont think the season needs any change, the players can just not play so much tournaments if they get tired, but if it has to be shortened end it in October.

Experimentee
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:16 PM
it is just a stupid idea. all the european indoor tournaments are a waste, as they never attract all the best players, so they become weak tier ones (although i am happy about that because patty won the swisscom bc of that!). the aussie open would be stuffed up if it was in may because melbourne is AFL mad, and the F1 is really popular, and so it would just mean that the australian open would lose a lot of its appeal. of course i am bias because i get to go and watch it due to uni holidays, althugh by 2007 i think i might have finished, actually i would have just finished all the requirements to practice law in australia.

hey, do you live in melbourne? what uni do you go to? I go to melbourne uni. I'll have finished by 2007 too and i dunno what holidays you can get after that but i'll be so pissed if i dont get time to go after i finish my course!

selesfan
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:38 PM
I don't like the idea of waiting until March for the 1st GS. :( It doesn't matter how late they start, they players will just play more exhibitions. Does these mean Indian Wells and Miami would be moved?

Dava
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:00 PM
My point exactly are players really going to want to have to play three two weeks tournaments back to back to back!!! It would be Miami and Indian Wells that would suffer as well.

Also I think the Euro inddor circuit was good!!!! I enjoyed the Swisscom challeng especially!!!

Chance
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:21 PM
I'm betting it won't happen until 2006....... it will mean a complete overhaul of the schedule and atp/wta/itf are not organised enough to make the changes.

bbypk
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:17 PM
I would like a change... I think its better for tennis, players and fans...

I have to study in January!!!! ;)

GBFH
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:23 PM
The Aussie Open is how I remember when school starts, it can't change!! ;)