PDA

View Full Version : Have you read this yet?

mentos
Mar 21st, 2003, 07:50 PM
By Karen Crouse, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 21, 2003

KEY BISCAYNE -- A stomach virus could accomplish what nobody on the court has been able to manage this year: Stop Serena Williams.

Williams was too sick Thursday to attend a scheduled news conference with older sister Venus at the Nasdaq-100 Open. The Palm Beach Gardens resident is slated to play Francesca Schiavone of Italy tonight on the Stadium court at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park.

Adam Barrett, the tournament director, said he moved Williams' 2003 Miami debut back to the second evening match on the showcase court, after No. 1-ranked Lleyton Hewitt's tournament opener against Francisco Clavet, to give Serena as much time as possible "to rest and get her strength back."

"First off, we hope she's feeling better," Barrett said. "She's the No. 1 seed. She's the defending champion. She's won the last four Grand Slams. She's 11 and 0 this year. As a tournament director, yeah, I'm concerned."

Serena, 21, was supposed to appear alongside her sister to promote an Internet auction they are holding to benefit the Tom Joyner Foundation. Venus, 22, appeared at the podium alone. At one point, she looked over her shoulder at a cardboard promotional picture of Serena for Doublemint gum and said, "There she is. She's not too talkative."

Later, when Venus was asked why Serena couldn't make it to the news conference, she squirmed in her seat and said, "She just wasn't able to make it."

Copyright © 2003, The Palm Beach Post. All rights reserved.

Thanks for posting, sperosgeorgejr!

BK4ever
Mar 21st, 2003, 07:56 PM
Nooooooooooo

I hope Serena feels better. If she can get by Schiavone, then she'll get a day off. But I know that Serena will not take to the court unless she feels 100%. She can't risk having to retire in the match and mess up her "no loss goal".

selesrules
Mar 21st, 2003, 07:57 PM
she squirmed in her seat and said, "She just wasn't able to make it."

Did Venus kidnap Serena? :eek:

irma
Mar 21st, 2003, 07:58 PM
seems that injury prone pre 2002 serena has returned :sad:

BK4ever
Mar 21st, 2003, 07:58 PM
selesrules...what are u talking about. are u joking.

locks
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:01 PM
:wavey:

The same way Graf was waaaaaay better than seles :kiss:

BK4ever
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:03 PM
Well I just called and they said she has not confirmed that she will or will not play tonight.

Serendy Willick
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:04 PM
Serena can do this (please please please Serena be better to play). You have to be strong. Shes played Henin, Capriati, and many others injured. I really hope that she is strong enough to play. Because if I have to sit for two weeks with no Serena, I am going to cry.

Glenn
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:12 PM
Serena is sick sooo often... :confused: :rolleyes:

Pureracket
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:14 PM
Glenn,
Question: When was the last time you remember her being sick?

Crazy Canuck
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:17 PM
Is she sick often? I don't chart the activity of her immune system, myself ;) And even if she was sick a lot, what difference does it make? Sick is sick, and sick sucks.

spokenword73
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:19 PM
how long does a stomach virus usually last?? :confused:

ßcoene
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:24 PM
It's not the same as an injury. If it's worse or better depends on how sick she is. If she's real sick then she shouldn't play.

BK4ever
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:31 PM
She better not play if she is not 100%

Simplify
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:28 PM
Considering a stomach virus usually means nausau and/or diarrhea, I can totally understand not wanting to take the court.

Oasiatic
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:33 PM
Nooooo! Oh Serena baby, I hope you feel better tonight for your match. I'm really confident you can win here girl!

So shake it off and get that booty on the court and kick some azz!!!

Go Serena!! :bounce: :bounce: You'll feel better!

maccardel
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:37 PM
That is more sad news..hope she gets better..maybe oracene will get a wildcard into the event......lol or one of the other sisters so we can still have an all williams final.

baleineau
Mar 21st, 2003, 10:25 PM
Serena is sick sooo often... :confused: :rolleyes:

well, i can't remember the last time she was sick.

anyway, most people get stomach bugs, heavy colds at some point. 2-3 times per year is fairly normal for most people i know.

now, add in all that travel, all that new food, and all those different climates, and i can imagine you'd get sick more often.

serena's not in a position where she needs to play to cover her bills, unlike many of those ranked 40 and below.

there's no justification for :confused: and :rolleyes:

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 21st, 2003, 10:29 PM
Feel better Serena...;)