PDA

View Full Version : DANI OUT!! 6-0 IN final set

Dava
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:34 PM
Can you believe this, a good win for Alicia!!!! I wonder what is happening with Dani's game though it has not been so strong of late.

The first slip was with Elena is Paris, though Elena did play well, it seems to have stuck in Dani's mind.

ys
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:36 PM
Anyone still thinks she is a worthy Top-tenner?

MarcusRock
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:36 PM
Ouch!!! Back to the gym for you, missy.

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/marcusrock/Dani-Stick.gif

Clumsythief
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:38 PM
She's gonna bounce back! She just needs 10-15 lbs and everything's gonna be OK and she will end the year in the Top 5.

Mikey
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:39 PM
Congratulations Alicia :D - What's even better is that she saved a match point on Daniela's serve at 5-3 in the second, coming back from 5-2 in the second to win 11 straight games. I'm very impressed with how she played today, and if she keeps this up, she could go far here :D

adss
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:39 PM
:sad:

Gowza
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:42 PM
i think she is a worthy top 10er. she may not be as consistent as some of them but when it comes to grand slams she does pretty well usually making the quarters which is the last 8.

i think top 5 is a bit much. when her game is on she can probably squeeze into the top 5 but it is tough when she is playing well which certainly doesn't happen a lot. i think around #8 is a good ranking for her.

Glenn
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:43 PM
Mikey, did you watch the match? :eek:

Roxers
Dani :mad: :sad:

Volcana
Is she injured?

saah1608
I am only a little suprised. Alicia seemed to be playing folk tough early in the season. This is the kind of win she needed. I felt like if a top player slept on her, she had the ability to upset one of them. Congrats Ms. Molik. All the good ones get his like this every once in a while, Dani will be back.

MarcusRock
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:46 PM
Is she injured?Does a bruised ego count?

tenn_ace
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:47 PM
Does a bruised ego count?

lol

well done Alicia.. finally thinkg have strated coming together for you. good luck!

[S@nti]
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:48 PM
:eek:

Gowza
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:49 PM
this qurater for me was the most interestiing one in the draw.

we had (still have) the out of form slumping dokic and the inconsistent hantuchova who usually stands up in these big tournaments (e.g. grand slams, IW) but who wouldn't be confident because she lost in the 4th round last week of the tournament she was defending. she has the added pressure because she was expected to reach the semis at least but went out way to early.

we also in this section have the rising star kuznetsova who recently got the scalp of myskina and molik who was on a hot streak before she got injured.

molik might be inconsistent with part of her game because she is on a comeback which makes it even more interesting because we also have likhovtseva who can cause upsets who is in moliks little section.

tenn_ace
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:52 PM
I hope Sveta will take full advantage of this draw...

:)

BK4ever
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:52 PM
This from the person who said Venus had to bring her A game to beat her.

Not yet honey...LOL

Go Alicia :bounce:

Good luck against Elena L :)

Mikey
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:53 PM
No, I watched the live scores ;)

irma
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:54 PM
"she has the added pressure because she was expected to reach the semis at least but went out way to early."

she was?

I think you overlooked a certain player in that quarter of the draw :o

ys
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:00 PM
I think you overlooked a certain player in that quarter of the draw

Don't be picky, irma:).. The poster meant quarters, obviously..

Gowza
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:00 PM
irma, who? dokic? she was the only player ranked higher than daniela in that quarter and she was in a huge slump. as soon as dokic went out hantuchova was expected to reach the semis.

Gowza
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:02 PM
it was a martinez/clijsters semi. daniela would have been expected to beat martinez before the tournament even started.

irma
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:03 PM
jelena was seeded 9 and hantu 5, they were supposed to meet in the 4 round then in the quarters hantu was seeded to meet kim!

K. Clijsters (3)
Bye

J. Jackson
Y. Jeong Cho

M. Matevzic
C. Black

Bye
P. Suarez (27)

L. Raymond (22)
Bye

Qualifier
P. Shuai

F. Zuluaga
A. Roesch

Bye
A. Pistolesi (15)

-----

J. Dokic (9)
Bye

V. Ruano Pascual
S. Kuznetsova

M. Sharapova
E. Callens

Bye
N. Dechy (21)

E. Likhovtseva (28)
Bye

T. Garbin
S. Talaja

B. Schett
A. Molik

Bye
D. Hantuchova (5)

irma
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:05 PM
or are we talking about different tournaments?

sorry then :o

Gowza
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:05 PM
sorry irma we are getting our wires crossed.

i was talking about IW. she didn't reach her expectation at IW and because of that has added pressure here in miami.

sorry about the mix up. i wasn't clear enough. my fault.

BK4ever
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:07 PM
Dani will have some extra time to grab a meal...LOL

You guys have obviously forgotten that Alicia beat Dani in Australia in January, in straight sets I might add 6-4, 6-2 ;)

Gowza
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:10 PM
BK4ever, i hadn't. we were talking about a different tournament.

but still knowing that alicia won in straight sets at the start of the year didn't really do it for me because although she won that meeting just last week alicia played a challenger tournament ($50k i think) and lost first round something like 6-4 6-2. so i wasn't expecting alicia to be doing this well but obviously she got all of the rust out in that match.

irma
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:11 PM
no problem

it's not good that she seemed she runned out of gas today though. in indian wells against amanda c she looked sometimes powerless too (and that was not based on how she looked). I hope nothing is wrong with her :(

c2
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:11 PM
I really don't think it's time for bashing, all you who are so quick to do so... another thread is suggesting she is sick; remember the illness that was going around IW? For her to completely collapse like that sounds like illness to me :eek:

Jakeev
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:12 PM
Awesome comeback for Alicia. She has got a lot of improving to do,but the fact she is willing to go on court and not wilt tells me she wants to be a better tennis player.

There is hope for Aussie women yet.

Hant11
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:13 PM
Dani will have some extra time to grab a meal...LOL

You guys have obviously forgotten that Alicia beat Dani in Australia in January, in straight sets I might add 6-4, 6-2 ;)

Congratulations Alicia but I am sad for Daniela because it's my favourite player

http://daniela-hantuchova.fr.tc

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/daniela-hantuchova/newphoto/hantuchova.jpg

BK4ever
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:18 PM
I really don't think it's time for bashing, all you who are so quick to do so... another thread is suggesting she is sick; remember the illness that was going around IW? For her to completely collapse like that sounds like illness to me :eek:

She aint sick...please

Everyone one of their games was competitive, Alicia just won the big points. Dani also started making more errors, probably going for too much. Alicia was all over her serve. She had a really high %age of serves in, but Alicia was still making her work.

Plus its hot as hell...she probably ran out of gas...

TatiAnnah°lic
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:18 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

▀coene
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:30 PM
Well done Alicia :bounce:

I hope their is nothing wrong with Daniela, not that I think so, you never now.

tennisIlove09
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:52 PM
Wow, congrats Alicia.

Can't believe Dani blew a 62 52 lead :mad:

CJ07
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:53 PM
i cant believe she lost 11 straight games?
Can anyone say Kournikova 2?

Jordan.
Mar 21st, 2003, 10:01 PM
:d

Warrior
Mar 21st, 2003, 10:04 PM
This is sad. Dani is turning into Dementieva.

Cilla
Mar 21st, 2003, 10:12 PM
Congrats Alicia :D But poor Dani.

mboyle
Mar 21st, 2003, 10:16 PM
I really thought this girl was something else:sad: . Oh well, just another Dementieva/Kournikova/Schett/fill in the blank. but how the hell do you loose to Alicia Molik dani?:eek: AND HOW THE HELL DO YOU BLOW SUCH A LEAD? :fiery: :rolleyes:

Volcana
Mar 21st, 2003, 10:16 PM
Isn't it odd that she'd lose her first match at this tournament two years in a row? Maybe she doesn't adjust to flying the 3000 miles, or the increased heat.

I sort of expected her to get the same number of points out of IW/Miami she got last year. Byt making the QF's of both tournaments. She could come out of this tournament #11. yeah right. But #10 is a real possiblity.

maccardel
Mar 21st, 2003, 10:20 PM
Can you believe this, a good win for Alicia!!!! I wonder what is happening with Dani's game though it has not been so strong of late.

The first slip was with Elena is Paris, though Elena did play well, it seems to have stuck in Dani's mind.

I am shocked by this result...oh well. I guess her game has been exposed or she is playing too much...but I think there is something else. I just don't know...Sad to hear this. I wanted the top seeds to survive to make it more interesting in the later rounds.

kr003
Mar 21st, 2003, 10:37 PM
Congrats Alicia, what a great comeback.
It's a pitty that I couldn't watch the match on tv.

~|Naomi|~
Mar 21st, 2003, 11:05 PM
Pehaps she is struggling a bit because this year everyone know what her game is like and how she plays. They all now know what to expect from her and therefore there is no surprise any more they are ready for her and what she is going to throw at them.Unlike last year at IW where she wasn't as well known so she had a bit of the surprise facotr on her side. Also Alicia beat at Hopman and although Dani didn't play well there it would have given Alicia the confidence for todays match. Everyone goes through slumps when they are trying to consolidate themsleves at top 10 level, Kim had hers last year even if it was caused by an injury it was still a slump, Dokic is in one now, Dementieva.

To answer the original question I think the 8-11 range is where Dani is at the moment I think she isn't consistent enough for top 5 right now and she only really got to 5 because of her IW points, when she lost them she fell out. But I think she has the potential of a top5 player and in time that will come. I'm not sure if she will qualify for LA as it is only top8 this year, do you all think she will make LA?

Mateo Mathieu
Mar 21st, 2003, 11:13 PM
Don't bash on Alicia because you're so jealous of her forms! ;)

~|Naomi|~
Mar 21st, 2003, 11:21 PM
Don't bash on Alicia because you're so jealous of her forms! ;)

I'm not bashing Alicia at all that is not what I was trying to say, she defiantely deserves all the credit. And no I am not jealous of her form not forms, I am an aussie so I want to see her do well, but to say I am jealous of her forms is silly after all Kim is my favourite player and I think she is in quite good form at the moment so why would I be jealous of anyone elses favourite players form, that is a little immature

Lapin
Mar 21st, 2003, 11:22 PM
:eek: Well, I thought given Daniela and Alicia's recent form that Alicia might win, but I didn't imagine it would be from match-point down, or that Alicia would win 11 games in a row! I'm wondering if Daniela has been playing too much; she plays more tournaments than most and doubles too, and I've heard she has been doing intensive training in South Africa during the 'off-season' the last two winters. Maybe it's all catching up with her? :sad:

c2
Mar 21st, 2003, 11:37 PM
It sounds like you saw the match BK4ever.. I didn't. Maybe you're right but it looked shocking.. previous set was 7-5 and then to lose 6-0? seemed strange on the scoreboard

xan
Mar 21st, 2003, 11:38 PM
It's another great win for Alicia on her return from injury. A second top scalp after taking out Babsi Schett in Round1.

I'm a bit worried about Dani though. She led 6-2 5-2 and still lost! All those UE! I'm beginning to think her weight loss is a symptom of something worse. She seems jaded with tennis atm.

xan
Mar 21st, 2003, 11:40 PM
Match Summary.... Molik.... Hantuchova
1st Serve % ....62% ....78%
Aces ....7 ....1
Double Faults ....1 ....4
Winning % - 1st Serve Pts. ....35 of 50 = 70% ....51 of 90 = 57%
Winning % - 2nd Serve Pts. ....14 of 31 = 45% ....9 of 25 = 36%
Winners (Including Service) ....39 ....40
Unforced Errors ....38 ....56
Break Point Conversions ....6 of 16 = 38 % ....4 of 7 = 57 %
Net Approaches ....8 of 14 = 57 % ....8 of 17 = 47 %
Total Points Won ....104 ....92

vs1
Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:01 AM
Congratulations Alicia!!
She did it again (beating Dani at the Hopman Cup as well).

Alicia has a great game and with some luck and consistency, she can really improve her ranking and be a threat (as we can well see). I'm so PROUD of her! She's having a stellar year and I really believe that it can only get better.

The match statistics confirm the strong player that she is. And she is a gorgeous person!!!!! :angel:

xan
Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:11 AM
Hantuchova falls in second round

http://onesport.nzoom.com/sport_detail/0,1278,177247-2-49,00.html

Fifth seed Daniela Hantuchova was the biggest women's name to fall at the Nasdaq-100 Open on Saturday, slumping 2-6 7-5 6-0 to unheralded Alicia Molik.

Hantuchova could not keep up with the 89th-ranked Molik who closed out the match in ruthless fashion, breaking her opponent's serve three times in a final-set whitewash.

The Slovak was Molik's second big scalp of the tournament after the Australian's first-round victory over Barbara Schett of Austria.

Molik won in two hours 15 minutes and made the most of winning 70 per cent of her first-serve points.

In the third round, Molik will play the Russian 28th seed Elena Likhovtseva, who needed three sets to defeat Croatia's Silvija Talaja 6-7 6-2 6-4.

DiZZiA
Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:20 AM
Congratulations Alicia :D - What's even better is that she saved a match point on Daniela's serve at 5-3 in the second, coming back from 5-2 in the second to win 11 straight games. I'm very impressed with how she played today, and if she keeps this up, she could go far here :D

OMG!!! Was that really what happened?? :eek:

Poor Daniela.... This is a devastating loss!!! She must have lots of pressure on her shoulders now being a Top Tenner and being the favourite in most matches!!!

She really got to find a way to bounce back!!! Both physcially and mentally!!! :(

Jem
Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:51 AM
Not surprised that Molik won this one. Last year was so easy for Hantuchova, as she faced no pressure. This year, she's the one being hunted instead the one doing the hunting. Pressure does funny things to people -- some thrive on it, others wilt, some eventually learn to cope with it.

Also, the scoreline really isn't very surprising. This often happens in matches where a player blows a big lead in the second and then completely collapses in the third.

A few years ago, Serena led Sanchez Vicario, something like 6-2, 5-2 or something big like that at the French and wound up losing to her. Obviously, she learned from it, and look where she is now. And when Clijsters allowed Serena to escape those match points at 5-1 in the Aussie semifinal this year, did anyone truly expect her not to come back and win that match.

It's all mental and how you handle the pressure.

rated_next
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:03 AM
she lost in the second round last year as well

Myskina Lina
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:04 AM
If there's no injury or sickness, I think Dani just can't handle the heat, she seemed to have a hard time in Australia too. I hope she can take it easy & figure it out. :)

Alicia did GREAT!! Even if Dani wasn't in form, Alicia had to play very well, to win all those games in a row.

Congrats Alicia!! :D

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:24 AM
Nice to see the Aussie girls doing well overnight, but not at Dani's expense.

It sounds like she really fell apart halfway through the second set. This isn't like Dani. All credit to Alicia, but *something* must have been bothering Dani, whether it was the heat, nerves, or whatever. She's normally such a fighter; I hope she's not starting to turn into a headcase. :fiery:

TennisHack
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:26 AM
Nice to see the Aussie girls doing well overnight, but not at Dani's expense.

It sounds like she really fell apart halfway through the second set. This isn't like Dani. All credit to Alicia, but *something* must have been bothering Dani, whether it was the heat, nerves, or whatever. She's normally such a fighter; I hope she's not starting to turn into a headcase. :fiery:

I know for a fact that at least 1 player was still sick from the Indian Wells stomach flu down in Miami, and Serena is also reportedly sick, so perhaps there's another wacky virus going around? :sad: I sincerely hope not, but its very unlike Dani to not even win a GAME in that last set. I think something was definitely wrong wit her. Alicia played great and was able to demolish her, but I think maybe she had a bit of help from Dani's meltdown :sad:

TS
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:27 AM
Some people really need to give Alicia more credit.

I was quite amused at some comments made by Daniela fans in the Alicia thread in the Tennis Australia forum.

Excuses piss me off.

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:43 AM
TS: I just read the Alicia Molik thread in that forum and I agree with you. Those posts were inappropriate. It can only give Dani's fans a bad reputation on the board if they go into forums like that with such comments. I don't tend to hang around the Cocktail Party forum but I'd be pissed off if Dani-haters or people with sour grapes went into there attacking Dani.

Those forums are supposed to be safe havens for fans of the respective players.

The Dani fans concerned won't like me for saying so, but it was bad board etiquette.

Kirt12255
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:00 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Wooohoooo Alicia!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :hearts: as possibly her biggest fan....I promise I won't gloat too much LOL j/k :wavey:

If any player is having an off day...Alicia will be a threat...ie Serna and Danilidou.

I know on the off season Alicia worked on disguising her serve...her opponents can't read it as they could last year. It's not as big a serve as it was last year but alot more consistant. Her backhand now doesn't sit mid court and say :wavey: HIT ME.

I agree Alicia needs more credit for this win, by the same time both loses to Alicia by Daniella have been riddled with errors....perhaps that is the pressure Alicia is throwing at her opponents. I took more pleasure with her beating Schett...I seem to recall a press conference at the US open...Schett was told she was playing Alicia after she beat Maggie and she said "Who?"...I think shew knows who she is now.

GL Alicia but I feel next match will be the toughest yet.

tennnisfannn
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:06 AM
I went to bed when dani was up 5/3 and at matchpoint! This is a complete shock to me although i am glad to see an aussie win anytime. At the hopman cup Bedanova came from behind to win the third set 6/0 ( or something ) too against Dani. looks like when Dani gives up she actually does a good job of it.
Not to understimate the effect of the heat, remember aftere the AO meltdown 2002, jennnifer actually said the difference for her and martina was she was a bigger girl and endured better(these are not her exact words)
Good alicia, this year she has only lost to serena and that ain't too shabby!

Chance
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:11 AM
Congratualtions Alicia :D
I was surprised too but then again anything can happen in a tennis match. Good luck Alicia against Elena.
Saving 2 MP... Got to get Rollo to update his thread ;)

Crazy Canuck
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:44 AM
Nice win for Alicia! If she hadn't gotten injured in Australia, maybe this wouldn't have been such a bit surprise afterall? Besides, it's not like she hasn't won a title this year or anything ;)

Daniela will be fine, she'll bounce back.

BK4ever
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:47 AM
Dani said in an interview that she was tired in the third set, that she had nothing left.

chapel
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:17 AM
TS: I just read the Alicia Molik thread in that forum and I agree with you. Those posts were inappropriate. It can only give Dani's fans a bad reputation on the board if they go into forums like that with such comments. I don't tend to hang around the Cocktail Party forum but I'd be pissed off if Dani-haters or people with sour grapes went into there attacking Dani.

Those forums are supposed to be safe havens for fans of the respective players.

The Dani fans concerned won't like me for saying so, but it was bad board etiquette.

well, you can go back to alicia's thread now and read our posts. we did say we're sorry already. it was inappropriate as you said. really, we're sorry.

AKTW
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:23 AM
:eek: Really shocking!
It's always disappointing to see a player blowing the lead.
I am sure Daniela's fans understand how I felt when Elena lost to Daniela in Zurich.
Anyway,don't be so sad and focus on her doubles now,Daniela's fans.

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:27 AM
well, you can go back to alicia's thread now and read our posts. we did say we're sorry already. it was inappropriate as you said. really, we're sorry.

:) :wavey:

caramel
Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:27 AM
Oh no, Daniela!! :sad: How did that happen? Did anyone see this match , was she really playing that bad?

King Lindsay
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:50 PM
what's sad is how you people over-react to every single loss. it's a long season, alright? can't get too high or low with your emotions. does not serve anybody good.

obviously, she lost a match that she should never have. i mean, losing a 6-2 5-2 lead is pretty improbable. but i'm sure she'll be absolutely fine. she didn't do well with her first taste of big pressure and expectations. i'm chalking it up to inexperience and leaving it at that. on to the clay.

Julian
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:55 PM
IMO Dani just didnt' have the fire..same thing with her match against Coetzer. I mean it's obvious she has the talent but in her past 2 matches she didn't have the "fight" when say for example when she was down in the match. I hope she does better in her next tourney..

Habsudovafan
Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:46 PM
NO DANI!!!
I hope you bounce back in the clay court season. You can do it.

the cat
Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:23 PM
Daniela must have some Russian blood in her! :eek:

1jackson2001
Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:51 PM
Dani will do fine..she's in a slump but will come back strong. I have confidence in that. :)

Alicia is gonna come on strong too..;)

louloubelle
Mar 22nd, 2003, 10:04 PM
History shows that after a players 1st BIG year, they tend to have a letdown in the 2nd year.... 2nd year blues etc...

Even the great Monica had one after her first big year, except I think it lasted for the duration of about 3 tournies!

Bероника
Mar 22nd, 2003, 11:57 PM
Congrats Alicia!!! :D