PDA

View Full Version : Seles Says Tour Security Is Insufficient

tennisIlove09
Mar 21st, 2003, 06:47 AM
Seles Says Tour Security Is Insufficient

By Richard Pagliaro
03/22/2003

Monica Seles has been both victorious and victimized on the tennis court. The nine-time Grand Slam champion has produced the type of tennis that makes her an immortal in the sport and suffered a near-fatal assault that forced her to face the fragile state of mortality.

A decade removed from the day the deranged plunge of a madman's knife nearly ended her life, Seles said she does not feel completely secure with security on the WTA Tour.

"I don't feel it (tournament security) is sufficient," Seles said during today's Nasdaq-100 Open press conference when asked her view on tournament security.

Players at the Nasdaq-100 as well as other tournaments around the world wade through crowds on their way to practices or matches on outer courts. Seles suggested that accessibility creates vulnerability in players constantly exposed to the public.

"In a lot of ways our accessibility to people I think to get us on site, in matches, after matches (makes players vulnerable)," Seles said. "And not just me I think any of the higher profile players. You're totally accessible. There's no other sport that you're as accessible as in tennis."

The 10th-seeded Seles had a first-round bye and will face French qualifier Marion Bartoli, who won the Orange Bowl three years ago at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park which is home to the Nasdaq-100 Open.

Seles arrived in Miami with one primary goal in mind — to play pain-free tennis.

"My first expectation really this week is just to be able to play and really be pain-free because I've been struggling the past two weeks with my foot," Seles said. "And then after that, I have a difficult draw, so I just really look forward to the first (match) tomorrow and Saturday and just make sure that I can stay healthy."

Should Seles advance to the round of 16, she would likely face seventh-seeded Lindsay Davenport, the Pacific Life Open runner-up, for a place in the quarterfinals. The 29-year-old Seles won consecutive Miami titles in 1990-91 and was a tournament finalist in 1997 when she lost to Martina Hingis.

ktwtennis
Mar 21st, 2003, 10:31 AM
Read this thread: http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=61438