PDA

View Full Version : I'm probably the only one interested, but...speedskating thread!(olympics)

Zamboni
Jan 14th, 2002, 12:55 AM
Anyone interested?
Probably not, but these are my pics (and hopes) for Salt Lake:
Men:
500m: Jeremy Wotherspoon (hope: Gerard van Velde)
1000m: Jeremy Wotherspoon (hope: Erben Wennemars)
1500m: Adne Sondral (hope: Rintje Ritsma)
5000m: Carl Verheijen (hope: Bob de Jong)
10000m: Bob de Jong (is my hope too)

Women:
500m: Catriona LeMay (hope: Andrea Nuyt)
1000m: Marianne Timmer (is my hope too)
1500m: Anni Friesinger (hope: Annamarie Thomas)
3000m: Anni Friesinger (hope: Tonny de Jong or Renate Groenewold)
5000m: Anni Friesinger (hope: Gretha Smit)

your pics?

Randy H
Jan 14th, 2002, 02:34 AM
I don't know too much about speed skating, and generally only follow it at the Olympics since it doesn't get much coverage, but just wanted to cheer for Catriona LeMay Doan and Jeremy Wotherspoon the 2 fellow Canadians ;)

matthias
Jan 14th, 2002, 02:41 AM
ANNI FRIESINGER RULES ON ICE

DutchieGirl
Jan 15th, 2002, 04:44 PM
umm HUP ORANJE! lol Seeing as we get about as much coverage of speed-skating as you would of AFL football, I don't know who skates what, but I'll cheer for the Dutchies and Belgians (if there are any)! hehe But especially Rintje and Gianne (is he going or?) ;)

Zamboni
Jan 15th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Yes, Gianni is going, but only on the 5km, he can't defend his title on the 10km.

There are Belgians: Bart Veldkamp and Andre Vreugdenhil (don't think he's going), but they are just Dutchies skating for Belgium :)

Oh yes, Anni rules! She's so good! And so cool! Her Dutch is funny :) And everything is "zuper" :)

Little L
Jan 15th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Speed skating rulz!! I love watching the 4*4 (is that what its called), kinda like the relay. I can honestly say that if I was a speed skater, there would be people lying all over the ice because I would run into them, unintentionally of course ;)

The Crow
Jan 15th, 2002, 09:34 PM
You're not the only one interested :D

500m: Shimizu (hope: Van Velde)
1000m: Bos (hope: Van Velde)
1500m: Ritsma at last ;) (hope: Ritsma)
5000m: Veldkamp (hope: Veldkamp)
10000m: Romme (hope: Veldkamp)

Women:
500m: Catriona LeMay (hope: Timmer :hearts: )
1000m: Marianne Timmer (hope: Timmer)
1500m: Anni Friesinger (hope: Renate Groenewold (isd she skating this one?))
3000m: Anni Friesinger (hope: Renate Groenewold)
5000m: Anni Friesinger (hope: Renate Groenewold)

Too bad De Loor didn't qualify :(

Uhm I seem to be Dutch what speedskating is concerned ;)

Kris
Jan 15th, 2002, 10:00 PM
Anni, Claudia, Sandra, Monique -- GERMANY!!!! will rule!!!! ;)

Zamboni
Jan 15th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Shimizu isn't gonna win the 500m, I saw him last weekend, he's still recovering from injury :( I hope he will recover soon, cos I do want him to to win! (if not a Dutchy wins it).

Romme won't win the 10000m, he isn't even starting there ;) (we have too many good skaters here :()

Yes, Renate is starting at the 1500m, she isn't starting at the 5km, cos she couldn't qualify due to injury :(

Germany will rule I'm afraid :( But the Netherlands will rule at the 5km and 10km for men! :)

The Crow
Jan 15th, 2002, 10:41 PM
I thought Romme was skating the 10, but not the 5?? And Verheyen is skating the 5, no? Or am I wrong?

O and Shimizu is getting there, Linda. Within a month, he'll be fully recovered and he'll win. You'll see :D

Zamboni
Jan 15th, 2002, 10:51 PM
I hope Shimizu will get there. I love his style! And Erben's style is so cool too, but I don't think he's gonna win :(

Dutch startlist:
Men:
500m: Jan Bos, Gerard van Velde, Erben Wennemars
1000m: Jan Bos, Gerard van Velde, Erben Wennemars
1500m: Ids Postma (oh no!), Jan Bos, Rintje Ritsma, Jochem Uytdehaage
5km: Jochem Uytdehaage, Carl Verheijen, Bob de Jong
10km: Bob de Jong, Jochem Uytdehaage, Gianni Romme
We should have had 4 stayerstickets and 3 sprinttickets and not the other way around! :mad:

Women:
500m: Andrea Nuyt, Marianne Timmer
1000m: Andrea Nuyt, Marianne Timmer, Annamarie Thomas
1500m: Annamarie Thomas, Renate Groenewold, Tonny de Jong, Marianne Timmer
3km: Gretha Smit, Tonny de Jong, Renate Groenewold
5km: Gretha Smit, Tonny de Jong, Marja Vis

problems solved?;)

The Crow
Jan 15th, 2002, 11:02 PM
Yep. So Gianni is skating the 10! And I'm afraid he'll win (I don't really like him) :(

Zamboni
Jan 15th, 2002, 11:06 PM
I don't really like him so much too, but he is from Made, which is very near to where I live :)
I think it will be between him and De Jong (or Veldkam should make a big comeback), and I think it's 50/50.
But I like De Jong very much :):)

Princess Fiona
Jan 15th, 2002, 11:07 PM
Has Gunda Niemann retired? :o I like to watch speedskating too (though it doesn't get a lot of coverage here!) - good luck to all your faves. :)

Zamboni
Jan 15th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Gunda Nieman is pregnant.
First she wasn't happy with it, but now she is very happy. She will be at the olympics for German tv.
She said she would come back next year, but I doubt!

Princess Fiona
Jan 15th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Oh! Thanks, Linda! (And congrats, Gunda! :))

Zamboni
Jan 15th, 2002, 11:16 PM
No Probs :)

lol I can't believe there are skatingfans in here!
I'm like :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ! ;)

The Crow
Jan 16th, 2002, 12:05 AM
It's not evident to be a skate fan in Belgium lol. Although some of the Belgians know Bart Veldkamp by now ;)

Zamboni
Jan 16th, 2002, 12:13 AM
and he isn't even a real Belgian :rolleyes:

But after his career he's going to lift Belgians speedskating so who knows ;)

The Crow
Jan 16th, 2002, 12:18 AM
Of course he isn't a real Belgian. But he gets in the news bulletins sometimes in Belgium now, so people start to know him ;) But if you talk about Wotherspoon, they're lost again ;)

Zamboni
Jan 16th, 2002, 12:22 AM
Lol!
Now you should get to know Andre Vreugdenhil ;)
He was on teletext with the EC! I saw his name and I had to laugh, like you are proud of someone who isn't yours :rolleyes: I mean, we still don't like Troy Douglas, we are consequent ;)

The Crow
Jan 16th, 2002, 12:27 AM
Well okay, teletext has to report it, cause he is a Belgian now, but peeps don't know Vreugdehil. But they are living in Belgium right (Andre and Bart that is)? Oh and in an interview with Vreugdehil in Belgium TV, he said something like ".... wij vertegenwoordigen toch Nederland, euh 'k bedoel Belgie". Talking about a slip of the tongue lol...

O and that commentator (what's his name) always saying when Bart wins a medal that people in Antwerp, Brussels or Ghent won't go on the streets to celebrate, begins to irretate me. What does he expect? :mad:

Zamboni
Jan 16th, 2002, 12:31 AM
It's probably Frank Snoeks or Herbert Dijkstra, who are actually quite good :)
I'll ever forget Snoeks at Nagano 98: "Timmertje Timmertje wat ga je doen?!" She is still Timmertje to everyone!

The Crow
Jan 16th, 2002, 12:35 AM
Indeed. That was so great!!!! :D :bounce:

I'm talking about the one in the studio, with the guests...

Zamboni
Jan 16th, 2002, 12:38 AM
Mart Smeets? He has a big ego that is true ;)
He's good for the NBA and the Tour de France, bot for the skating, I would prefer Edward or Toine there :(
And Henk Gemser (the guest) is soooo stupid. All he can talk about is Ids :( (and Anni, lol!)

The Crow
Jan 16th, 2002, 12:42 AM
Mart Smeets indeed, that's the guy. Oh and I have a feeling you don't like Postma ;) Well, me neither :) Thank God he's only allowed to skate one distance ;)

Zamboni
Jan 16th, 2002, 12:45 AM
No, I don't like Ids! I always hope he fells!
Me and my sis used to say: The best thing from Ids Postma is his girlfriend :) lol. But now they broke up :)

The Crow
Jan 16th, 2002, 12:50 AM
En Timmertje, die is getrouwd met haren coach eh? Was die vroeger niet samen met 1 of andere Canadese schaatser?

Zamboni
Jan 16th, 2002, 12:57 AM
yes, Timmer is married to Peter Mueller (and he's such a d*ckhead!), and she used to be with Kevin Overland.
And Carl Verheijen is engaged to Andrea Nuyt.
I thouht he was with Barbara de Loor :confused: but maybe that is Jochem Uytdehaage.
And the rumour is that Annamarie Thomas is now with Rintje Ritsma, but no-one knows for sure.

The Crow
Jan 16th, 2002, 01:00 AM
OMG they are all just dating each other lmao. O and Annemarie Thomas, hasn't she been involved with Mueller too?

So who's your favourite of them all? Mine are Timmertje, De Loor and Veldkamp (and not because he's Belgian ;)). And I liked Zandstra too :)

Zamboni
Jan 16th, 2002, 01:04 AM
Thomas was in his team.
She was with the Belgian for years ;)

My favs are Bob de Jong, Erben Wennemars, Timmertje and Tonny de Jong.
Oh, and Rintje!!!
And Anni if she only was Dutch ;) :(

The Crow
Jan 16th, 2002, 01:06 AM
If she only were Belgian you mean :p Oh yeah right, she was with Bart, now I remember. Aren't they together any more?

Zamboni
Jan 16th, 2002, 01:11 AM
Nope. They split up 1 or 2 years ago.
It costed Thomas a season cos she couldn't qualify for important matches cos she was too sad, and didn't skate well enough. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

The Crow
Jan 16th, 2002, 01:12 AM
That's sad :( But she's back! :)

Zamboni
Jan 16th, 2002, 01:14 AM
yes :)
She always had a kind of special talent for being great when you don't have to.
Now she's good at the good moments. That's better.
I hope she can kick some ass at the Olympics!

The Crow
Jan 16th, 2002, 01:15 AM
As long as it isn't Timmertje's ass, it's fine by me ;)

Chris
Jan 16th, 2002, 01:39 AM
As long as Dutch people wins then its OK!

DutchieGirl
Jan 18th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by The Crow
It's not evident to be a skate fan in Belgium lol. Although some of the Belgians know Bart Veldkamp by now ;)

Try being a skate fan in Australia then! ;)

Zamboni
Jan 18th, 2002, 03:01 PM
lol@Sarah!
Be glad there is something like internet ;)

The Crow
Jan 18th, 2002, 06:14 PM
lmao@Sarah

DutchieGirl
Jan 19th, 2002, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by adnil
lol@Sarah!
Be glad there is something like internet ;)

Well, we do get the winter Olympics on tv... but that's about it! Sometimes there are results in the newspapers! hehe

Hurley
Jan 19th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Adnil, who are the skaters in your avatar? Especially the guy in front of the orange background! :drool:

The last one is Ritsma, right? He is a god! I hope he can pick up another medal in Salt Lake!

Zamboni
Jan 19th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Hurley
The last one is Ritsma, right? He is a god!

Yes he is!
Yes that's Ritsma, and the guy in the orange background is Erben Wennemars. He is so cute when he talks and he skates in a funny way! I love him.
The other guy is Bob de Jong.
The girl in the orange background is Marianne Timmer.
The girl with the curly hair is Renate Groenewold, and the other girl is Tonny de Jong.

I'm a big fan of all of them :)

The Crow
Jan 21st, 2002, 03:38 AM
Van Velde again fourth :mad: Hopefully he gets an olympic medal. That guy so deserves that

Zamboni
Jan 21st, 2002, 07:59 PM
Yes...fourth again AND in front of (?) Erben :mad:

But....Nuyt was 2nd!!!!!!! Best of the rest :bounce: Yay!:bounce:

Halardfan
Jan 21st, 2002, 08:18 PM
I think Catriona Lemay is very attractive, but Im a bit dubious about her born again christian views...

I like Tomomi Okazaki too.

Zamboni
Jan 21st, 2002, 08:24 PM
Yes Chris, I heard about her religion a while ago...dunno why but it sounds a little overdone to me (didn't mean to offend anyone).
She only became a religious person after she met her husband, and now she's like totally into it :rolleyes:

Zamboni
Feb 3rd, 2002, 10:56 PM
Marieke Wijsman has been added to the Dutch sqad. She'll skate the 1000m.

I saw a review of Nagano 1998 today. I was still smiling at the commentary! Romme is not from Mars, he has a father and a mother, he is born like everyone else...
gotta love it! ;)

And I hope Gretha Smit will recover from the flue soon!!:cool: