PDA

View Full Version : Serena Williams says left knee is fine; plans to play in Toronto

tennisIlove09
Mar 15th, 2003, 07:03 AM
Serena Williams says left knee is fine; plans to play in Toronto

March 14, 2003
TORONTO (AP) -- Serena Williams doesn't need to win a Grand Slam in tennis. She's perfectly pleased with her ``Serena Slam.''

Williams has won the last four Grand Slam titles -- all against older sister, Venus -- though they have not come in the same calendar year.

``I know what Tiger Woods said once, and that was, 'I have all four trophies in my living room so it is a Grand Slam,''' Williams said during a conference call Friday. ``That's exactly how I feel.

``No one else has any of the trophies, I own them so I do own the Grand Slam right now.''

Williams said her injured left knee is fine, and she plans to play in the Rogers AT&T Cup tournament here later this summer.

``Toronto is always on my schedule,'' she said. ``My left knee is doing great. I just got done practicing actually. I enjoyed taking some time off, that was kind of nice. But it is great. No problems whatsoever.''

Knee problems forced the world's top-ranked player to withdraw from last month's State Farm Classic in Scottsdale, Ariz.

Williams returns to action next week at the Nasdaq-100 Open in Miami, a hard-court tournament that she won last year when she beat Jennifer Capriati 7-5, 7-6 (4).

Venus and Serena have become dominant figures on the WTA Tour, becoming the first sisters in tennis history to have each won Grand Slam titles.

``There isn't a day that goes by that I don't run into someone who says, 'I never watched tennis until you guys came, and if you guys aren't playing I don't watch it still,''' Williams said. ``So I think we're definitely bringing a lot of people to the game.''

One opponent Williams likely won't have to worry about facing again is 21-year-old Martina Hingis. Hingis' career appears over because of recurring problems with her ankles.

``It definitely is a pity because Martina Hingis did so much at such a young age,'' Williams said. ``She did a lot for the game and it was fun to see her around.''

TM
Mar 16th, 2003, 02:39 AM
cool.where'd u get this from?

tennisIlove09
Mar 17th, 2003, 06:52 AM
cool.where'd u get this from?

It was on the Yahoo site :)

Cariaoke
Mar 17th, 2003, 12:43 PM
thanks for posting.

I'm glad she'll be back in business for NASDAQ. :bounce: