PDA

View Full Version : Special "Venus" moments

jean_genie
Mar 14th, 2003, 02:50 AM
I think that in addition to being the awesome Queen of tennis that she is, Miss Venus is also very funny--even on court sometimes. Here are, in no particular order, some of my "favorite" Venus funny moments. Please share yours:

I. USOpen--Venus vs. Tauziat- Venus misses her chair and laughs her ass off.

II. Bausch&Lomb--Venus vs. Henin- in the third set, Venus is stretched out wide on the backhand side and hits a one hander, not once but twice. The second time she ends up losing her racquet and kind of falls down but then hesitates about picking it up and trying to get back into the point. In the end she picks it up and gives a little clapping motion and a little dance (you know, will I or won't I) before she smiles.

III. Ericsson-- Venus vs. Capriati- during one of those 8 match points, Venus sprays a ball after a long rally and while going back to the baseline to receive serve, does a little "hippy" shake it off move and smiles.

IV. USOpen--Venus vs. Spirlea- game, set, match Miss Venus Williams spurs the greatest dance of sheer elation ever witnessed and when Spirlea does make it to the net for the handshake she could've been the cabbie who dropped Vee off at Flushing Meadows because she could've cared less that she was there. It wasn't a mean handshake it was just, Oh my God did you just see what I just did??? Spirlea looked like "whatever".

tennisIlove09
Mar 14th, 2003, 06:21 AM
How about the first match point she saved against Spirlea? Spirlea serves it...Venus return hits the let core! Spirlea fires a forehand crosscourt...Venus hits a forehand up the line, and it hits the line. Mary Carillo said "Spirlea may win this match, but it's not by much!" and later on, after Venus had won "I would still favor Hingis in the final, but who cares!"

Wimbledon 2000--Just the entire event. So great for Venus to finally reach the Slam. And I love the leap

TM
Mar 14th, 2003, 07:02 AM
I think that in addition to being the awesome Queen of tennis that she is, Miss Venus is also very funny--even on court sometimes. Here are, in no particular order, some of my "favorite" Venus funny moments. Please share yours:

I. USOpen--Venus vs. Tauziat- Venus misses her chair and laughs her ass off.

II. Bausch&Lomb--Venus vs. Henin- in the third set, Venus is stretched out wide on the backhand side and hits a one hander, not once but twice. The second time she ends up losing her racquet and kind of falls down but then hesitates about picking it up and trying to get back into the point. In the end she picks it up and gives a little clapping motion and a little dance (you know, will I or won't I) before she smiles.

III. Ericsson-- Venus vs. Capriati- during one of those 8 match points, Venus sprays a ball after a long rally and while going back to the baseline to receive serve, does a little "hippy" shake it off move and smiles.

IV. USOpen--Venus vs. Spirlea- game, set, match Miss Venus Williams spurs the greatest dance of sheer elation ever witnessed and when Spirlea does make it to the net for the handshake she could've been the cabbie who dropped Vee off at Flushing Meadows because she could've cared less that she was there. It wasn't a mean handshake it was just, Oh my God did you just see what I just did??? Spirlea looked like "whatever".

WOW. O.M.G. all those memories are crisp in my mind as well.
i have all those matches in my unlimited collection of heaven.

i hope to transfer them on dvds soon when i can afford to buy those dvd recorders.

tennisIlove09
Mar 14th, 2003, 07:22 AM
or how about New Haven 2001?

Due to rain, Venus has to play her QF and SF on the same day, and then the final the next day. In about 24 hours Venus beats 3 top 10ers.

QF: Def. Henin 63 57 62
SF: Def. Capriati 64 76
F: Def. Davenport 76 64

Amazing

TM
Mar 14th, 2003, 05:13 PM
ahh..venus was so hhhoott during new haven 2001.

carpriati totally wiped her hands on her dress after shaking the queen's glorious hand. LoL

locks
Mar 14th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Venus playing sick in the US Open 2001 match against Jcap. She was fighting a cold and the crowd :bounce: :bounce:

Infiniti2001
Mar 14th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Venus falling down and getting up to hit a winner against Martina Hingis at the 2000 US Open semi... What a point!!! I watch that tape a lot :)

tennisIlove09
Mar 15th, 2003, 08:06 AM
OMG! How could we forget the Olympics? The entire event! Venus wasn't really serving to well, but it didn't matter.

Singles/Doubles...amazing!

Bероника
Mar 15th, 2003, 11:47 AM
I never watched the 97 us open Spirlea mtch,unfortunately... :sad:

Okasu
Mar 16th, 2003, 03:13 PM
USO2002 SF... Venus was down break points in 3rd while serving for the match. She hit some unbelievable:eek: serves to close it out.

tennisIlove09
Mar 17th, 2003, 06:54 AM
How about 2002 Acura Classic?

She struggles against Clijsters. She serves for the match...on match point she hits an ace up the T...that ended up being the fastest serve of the week 123 :cool:

She beat Clijsters 63 57 64

And then went on to demolish Davenport and Dokic

SF: Def. Davenport 62 61 [best victory EVER over Lindsay]
F: Def. Dokic 62 62

moon
Mar 17th, 2003, 10:25 PM
One of my favorite Vee moments was the STARE DOWN, during the 2001 SF with Cap. She was doing her best to try to intimidate Venus, but Vee wasn't having it. I just thought it was hilarious! And you know she was talking about Cap like a dog right after the match was over and she ran to the friends box. :D

locks
Mar 17th, 2003, 11:32 PM
One of my favorite Vee moments was the STARE DOWN, during the 2001 SF with Cap. She was doing her best to try to intimidate Venus, but Vee wasn't having it. I just thought it was hilarious! And you know she was talking about Cap like a dog right after the match was over and she ran to the friends box. :D

Please, I loved that stare down :eek: It has to be a tennis classic :) Vee wasn't having any of it and Cap was like WTF..did she just stare at me like that?

tennisIlove09
Mar 18th, 2003, 02:19 AM
Yea...the stare down was great.

I actually like all of the Venus/Jen match ups. The New Haven one as well. You could tell Pam and Mary Joe thought after Jen came back from 4-1 in the second set that Jen would win the tie-break...nope 7-1 in the breaker :D

Chance
Mar 18th, 2003, 04:20 AM
one of my special Venus moments was last year when Venus played Justine in Antwerp. I stayed up 3am in morning just to look at scores on the net but it was worth it. I like Justine but my heart was in my mouth and wanted Venus to finish the match in 2, in the end it went to 3 sets and by winning that match I knew Venus would officially on 23rd February 2002 become the tenth no.1 player since computer rankings were established in the 1970s. :D

Also sometimes when I read Venus's interviews, that puts a smile on my face too.

Nice thread jean_genie .

tennisIlove09
Mar 18th, 2003, 06:49 AM
one of my special Venus moments was last year when Venus played Justine in Antwerp. I stayed up 3am in morning just to look at scores on the net but it was worth it. I like Justine but my heart was in my mouth and wanted Venus to finish the match in 2, in the end it went to 3 sets and by winning that match I knew Venus would officially on 23rd February 2002 become the tenth no.1 player since computer rankings were established in the 1970s. :D

Also sometimes when I read Venus's interviews, that puts a smile on my face too.

Nice thread jean_genie .

I LOVED Venus' #1 interview. They asked her about being the first Black #1, and she mentioned Althea. It was so cool. I'll try to find it.

tennisIlove09
Mar 18th, 2003, 06:50 AM
VENUS WILILAMS

JIM FUHSE: Venus, congratulations on turning No. 1 on Monday. Has it had a chance to sink in yet, and do you have any special plans for celebrating it on Monday?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think my special plan would be just to get home, finally. It's been a long time on the road. I think I'm just looking forward to getting home and getting some rest with my family.

Q. I saw in your comment earlier this week that reaching No. 1 is a dream that started with your parents and then you took it over. How long have you wanted to be No. 1; and the way you've been playing lately, was it just a matter of time?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, you know, obviously, when you're on a professional tour, you don't aspire to be No. 3 or No. 2. Normally you do your best to become the best. At this point, I am the best player in the world, so that's exciting and it's going to be mine at least a week.

Q. The way you've been playing, has have you been in this kind of a zone in a while? The streak you had going in through the Open, and then winning the tournaments in the last month or so, have you been at this level in a while and how much more do you think you've got to go?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, more and more I've learned tennis is just mental and technical. As long as you have the mental game down, your techniques are solid, physically all you need is just your body to be there with you. And physically has been one of my problems in the past. The past two months I have been able to play without pain and that's done a lot for me.

Q. A lot of people have talked about how you are the best player and you have been the last two years; yet, you have not really played a schedule maybe to make yourself in the No. 1 spot by not playing as much and going to school and everything. Has it really been that important and a focal point to you, or maybe winning the titles at Wimbledon and US Open take precedence; is that driving you?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Really, I think that if I had been No. 1 in the world and had not won any Grand Slams, it would be less of a significance. But having won Grand Slams, that really just makes it a lot more enjoyable, and I just feel like I deserve it. You know, being No. 1 and winning Grand Slams and winning titles, that's just all a part of having a successful career. I've worked hard; so I feel like I deserve a few perks there.

Q. A lot of us who live down in south Florida have known you from since when you were a kid have heard your father say you and Serena would be No. 1. Now that it has happened, what has his reaction been?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I just think that he's head over heels. He's going to give me a few pointers to try to stay on top.

Q. How important is staying on top? You just said you'll be there for one week, but how important is it for you to keep it going?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, right now, it's just been great getting there, but it's another thing staying there. So I just have to be dedicated and more than anything, keep enjoying the game, because at any point it becomes a burden, at least to me, that's when it's a problem.

Q. Your dad's prediction years ago that you would be No. 1, certainly, one of thee boldest predictions that has ever been made in tennis history. Did you ever think -- did you ever think, "Gee, I wish he had not done that, to just let me play"?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No, I never thought that. I thought he was telling the truth. I was just being the daughter of a proud father. And more than anything, I think he knew he put the work in and that he had -- we were listening to him, and I think that's why he had that confidence to say that myself and Serena would be Grand Slam Champions. Right now, we are some of the best players in the game, I guess, in history, and I just think that I give a lot of credit to my dad for that.

Q. You obviously did not play a lot of Junior tournaments. You skipped a bunch of other tournaments and never altered from having your parents being your prime coaches. Is there an aspect of your career that you are most proud of, venus?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think the best part is that I've enjoyed myself along the way and that I have not limited myself just to playing tennis or made myself believe that that's the only thing in life. I've always been doing things at the same time and having a career; for me that's the best part.

Q. You and Serena obviously had a rough time in the desert last year. Can you sort of get real with us and tell us why you're not playing Indian Wells, a major tournament in a month or so?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, that was a year ago and a lot of things have happened since then. I think that myself, winning two Grand Slams, and the US Open Finals with Serena and I, and also, just being No. 1. So a lot of great things have happened since then.

Q. You did get pretty rough treatment there, is that the reason you're not playing?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, all in all, it was just basically an incredible scene last year in Indian Wells, but that's part of sports, playing with the good and the bad.

Q. I know you're not playing Indian Wells this year, but will you play Indian Wells again in the future?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I've always liked that tournament, and basically I had my first big break there in the desert; so some of my best memories are there . Actually, the first time I ever got in the quarter finals, I was like 200 in the world. I have a lot of great memories there.

Q. Also, with Indian Wells, you are not the only one who is missing. There are a few other top players who are going to be missing. This year, with adding more points toward Indian Wells, do you have any recommendations on what the Tour can do to attract more of the top players to their top events?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think normally Indian Wells has gotten a really great turn out. Most of the players love it, playing in the desert, with the great weather. And also, it's a combined event, which makes it more exciting for the fans, too. I haven't really seen the entries at Indian Wells at this point, but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Q. Just would like to know what it means to you to be the first African American to be ranked No. 1 in the world.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, it would be foolish to forget Althea Gibson, also. She was the first. And more than anything, I just feel proud to represent America in my sport.

Q. As Wimbledon Champion and US Open Champion, it's a tremendous achievement to get to No. 1 in the world, as well. Monica Seles was saying this week that it's a very exciting time for women's tennis, because the No. 1 position is being handed around; it's not being kept by one person for a long time as it used to be. Do you feel that? Do you feel this is a very exciting time for women's tennis and that new players are coming to the No. 1 ranking all the time?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think it's a very exciting time. I really thought I had a chance to win in the quarterfinal, but Jennifer was able to hang on. Because of the points race, at this point, it's really just a coin toss. At this point, I'm just happy about my position.

Q. What would be your kind of one little expert piece of advice to anyone who aspires to achieve what you've achieved?

VENUS WILLIAMS: That would be to enjoy the day and enjoy the competition, because a lot of times, it's really tight. My second suggestion would be you'd better have good techniques; in the crunch, so you can rely on your techniques.

Q. Can you talk about how difficult it's been being away from home for so long, and what you've missed the most; and did you intend to be on the road since late December?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I did intend to be on the road. I gave my full commitment for the first two months of the year. I knew it would be really tough, and mentally I've prepared to not be at home. But I really miss my dog and I miss my family and I miss Serena, too. I miss the States more than anything. I did not get to go to the Winter Olympics; so I missed out on a few things, but in the end, it did help me out a lot.

Q. What's the first thing you'll do when you get home?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Eat some candy.

Q. I want to ask you, after Wimbledon, you said you were going to buy yourself a watch to celebrate. What are you going to get celebrate being No. 1?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I never got that watch.

Q. You never got that watch?

VENUS WILLIAMS: It was much more -- at this point, really, I will just kind of give a little pat on the back.

Q. And I want to talk a little bit what role the god, Jehovah, has had in reaching your goals?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think more than anything just help me keep things in perspective and knowing that tennis, it's not the only thing, the only hope I have in life. So that's really helped me a lot, to realize this is just for now and that there's always a later.

Q. And do you want to give a shout out to anybody at home?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Everybody in south Florida and thanks for supporting me.

Q. Are you playing the NASDAQ 100 Open?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I am and I can't wait to get there. Last year I had an incredible time and an incredible finals match against Capriatti. That was one of my most favorite matches I've ever played. I'm hoping to return there and get a chance for the title again.

JIM FUHSE: Venus' next event will be the NASDAQ 100 where she will be the defending champion. And Jennifer Capriatti, the runner-up, has also entered, so they will likely be 1 and 2 in the event. So, we will look forward to that. Venus, thank you for participating and congratulations on No. 1.

jean_genie
Mar 18th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Thanks for posting the #1 Interview. It's nice to see it again and to see how poised the Queen was throughout. She also handled the IW questions quite nicely don't you think?? Also, LOL at Moon--the Stare down was classic and Sunset, last year's match at Antwerp was a nailbiter!! My cousin and fellow Venus fanatic wanted me to add another special moment: The 2000 USOpen SF match against Hingis. She calls the entire match the "I got you now MF" match because Venus came out the box agressive with Martina from go :D Especially the fall down point where she gets up to hit a winner. Too much. :wavey:

locks
Mar 18th, 2003, 09:07 PM
"I got you now MF" match

ROTFLMAO

Okasu
Mar 18th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Thanks for posting the #1 Interview. It's nice to see it again and to see how poised the Queen was throughout. She also handled the IW questions quite nicely don't you think?? Also, LOL at Moon--the Stare down was classic and Sunset, last year's match at Antwerp was a nailbiter!! My cousin and fellow Venus fanatic wanted me to add another special moment: The 2000 USOpen SF match against Hingis. She calls the entire match the "I got you now MF" match because Venus came out the box agressive with Martina from go :D Especially the fall down point where she gets up to hit a winner. Too much. :wavey:

http://www.venusserenafans.com/Forumn/images/smiles/icon_lol.gifhttp://www.venusserenafans.com/Forumn/images/smiles/icon_lol.gifhttp://www.venusserenafans.com/Forumn/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I love that stare down too. I only wish I was there... and MaryC
http://www.venusserenafans.com/Forumn/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif"that was a stare down", JohnM "Cappy was the one who blinked".

tennisIlove09
Mar 19th, 2003, 07:11 AM
I don't get it

"I got you know MF"

Shouldn't it be MH?

tennisIlove09
Mar 19th, 2003, 08:15 AM
I have 2 more:

2002 Australian Open 4th RD--Venus def. Maleeva 60 63

In the second set, Venus rushes up to net and smashes the ball. It's an unbelievable smash. It's very Pete Sampras. She's literally off the ground, and smashing it. And all the time she had a knee injury :D

2002 Open Gaz Semis--Venus def. Mauresmo 46 76 75

I was in college at the time, and had no internet access to see who won the match. One of my local stations had Venus Williams defeated Amelie Mauresmo in 3 sets. Then later on, I saw the score. I didn't know if Venus saved match points or not. I was so happy that she came back from 64 65

Venus Forever
Mar 19th, 2003, 07:08 PM
That MoMo match in Paris, I think MoMo served for it at 6-4 5-4, not 6-4 6-5. Not sure though.

jean_genie
Mar 20th, 2003, 12:23 AM
I don't get it

"I got you know MF"

Shouldn't it be MH?

tennisIlove09, it's an American Urban colloquialism and the MF is short for "motherf***er". Get it now?? Only in polite circles would it be MH for Martina Hingis ;) :D :wavey:

locks
Mar 20th, 2003, 01:53 AM
The USO 2002 match against Chanda Runbin. Maybe it was the second set. Chanda starts making Venus work and at one point Chanda hits a great shot and Venus begins to smile at Chanda. As to say WTF... I'm the freakin Venus Williams. Who told you that you could put up a fight against me :eek: Venus looked stunned :devil:

tennisIlove09
Mar 20th, 2003, 02:05 AM
tennisIlove09, it's an American Urban colloquialism and the MF is short for "motherf***er". Get it now?? Only in polite circles would it be MH for Martina Hingis ;) :D :wavey:

I get it now.

tennisIlove09
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:16 AM
I got some new Venus matches that I've have to add.

1998 Lipton Final
Venus def. Kournikova 26 64 61

Venus goes down 26 12, a set and a break. Anna is playing pretty well, but it's mostly due to Venus' errors. From that point she starts playing MUCH better. After she wins, she does this little dance thing. It's really cute.

1999 Italian Open Semi
Venus def. Hingis 64 16 64

Venus is so powerful in the first set. Just dominating. Then Hingis picks it up and Venus makes errors. She doesn't hold her serve in the 2nd set, and she goes down an early break in the third. Hingis is serving at 46 61 20. Venus regains her composure to dominate the 3rd. It's a great match with really good rallies. People say Venus can't play on clay, but going into Roland Garros 99, Venus had won her 2 warm up events [including beating Mary Pierce, and Hingis]. It's too bad Schwartz took her out at the French, cause she could have beaten Hingis and rewrote history. [I think she had match points against Schwartz :sad: ]

CanIGetAWhat
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:51 PM
Did anyone see the Venus/Martina '98 Sydney match? :confused: Man, I wish I had that tape. Venus was cramping and still manages to beat Martina. :devil:

tennisIlove09
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:23 AM
Did anyone see the Venus/Martina '98 Sydney match? :confused: Man, I wish I had that tape. Venus was cramping and still manages to beat Martina. :devil:

I SO want that match.

Chance
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:23 AM
Anton has that on tape... I only got to see the 3rd set but my memory is pretty bad so I can't remember much of it.... except it was Vee's first win over Martina.

tennisIlove09
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:31 AM
Anton has that on tape... I only got to see the 3rd set but my memory is pretty bad so I can't remember much of it.... except it was Vee's first win over Martina.

only problem is Anton won't sell me matches :rolleyes: I had a order ready...but then at the last moment he claimed "he was busy"