PDA

View Full Version : If you missed the Queen and Serena on the NAACP Awards

Okasu
Mar 14th, 2003, 02:22 AM
I will put the whole tribute(sp) on Kazaa
*note* the video is OK....not the best but ok!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid55/pe929229578de9be3a6f8e9fe262c7654/fc823c7f.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid55/p5d5b205d76b572701548a2ff99703381/fc823c7c.jpg
Happy tears :D

TM
Mar 14th, 2003, 02:24 AM
okasu. u rock!

Venus Forever
Mar 14th, 2003, 02:39 AM
I was about to cry so many times.:sad:

Venus, we love you soooo much. You are such a great person.:kiss:

Just a beautiful little display of their beauty and accomplishments.:D

jean_genie
Mar 14th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Okasu baby, what would we do without you?? Thank you so much because it was a powerful presentation, especially that tailor-made poem that moved Venus to tears. I'm so proud to be a fan of these incredible, strong young women and it appears that Mr. Mfume and the board at the NAACP share those feelings. It was a great tribute.

Mr. Man
Mar 14th, 2003, 02:41 AM
I cannot Believe I missed this! damn!

:worship: Serena! :worship:

Infiniti2001
Mar 14th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Thanks Okasu :kiss: I have the acceptance speech on MPEG-- I put it on Kazaa, so if anyone wants it's called Venus & Serena on the NAACP Awards :wavey: I can't figure out how to upload it on my site :confused: Any suggestions???

tennisIlove09
Mar 14th, 2003, 06:23 AM
An amazing show. I have it taped. Still wondering about Serena's dress...but it was SO moving.

TM
Mar 14th, 2003, 06:56 AM
about Serena's dress...but it was SO moving.

;) ;) :drool: :drool: :lick: :hearts:

Rae Q.
Mar 14th, 2003, 04:13 PM
I was crying also. It was just a special moment for our fav's. :D

locks
Mar 14th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Venus is so great and full of beauty :hearts: :drool: :hearts: :drool: :hearts:

locks
Mar 14th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Poem from the NAACP Awards :wavey:

:hearts: Venus :hearts: and Serena, you are Woman, Sisters, Strength.
Made of equal parts, glitter and sweat, stone and flesh.
Whether you dress your bodies with pearls or with panthers.
It is your compass of a heart that guides you, reminds you to cherish your own skin.
For too long we have cursed the mirror, not loved our own eyes, our hair, our colors, as God given gifts.
You teach us how to gather our beauties and believe in them.
You are Woman, Sisters, Strength.
Growl your piece and never cease in splitting silences, with every swing, you swim upstream, but together.
Like branches blooming beyond buried roots, past history supporting you, its ripening fruit.
The days of your family tree going unheard and unseen are over.
Your courage makes other sisters bolder.
Family bound by blood, sweat, and tears, throughout the years, you?ll realize your hardest one, yet most rewarding prize is each other.
You are Woman, Sisters, Strength.
You encourage us to win with grace, to live with conviction, to be strong inside our black girl bodies.
It is you, Sisters, dominating Center Court, I see you now, bronze arms lifted toward the heavens, face radiating with the promise of sun, legs spread akimbo, planted like history.
Like yesterdays, we claim victory alongside you, hold your breath in our chests, waiting for your to rain thunder on clay, or grass, or anyone who dares stand in your way.
We gather to collect the miracles you serve, and serve, and serve.
And fly, and live, and love, and dance, and soar, and fight.
Youíve won, so breathe easy, Sisters.
And continue to be beautiful, without permission.

eshell
Mar 14th, 2003, 07:50 PM
My eyes were misty after the poets helped me to feel beautiful.

<sigh> What an uplifting awards show.

locks
Mar 15th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Acceptance speech at the awardshttp://carkeyboi.com/dump/NAACPawards.rm

http://carkeyboi.com/dump/NAACPawards.rm

Alright!!!!Cool :hearts:

Okasu
Mar 15th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Thanks jean_genie and TM but Infiniti2001 has it up and running :bounce: now :kiss:

Awesome :wavey:

Cariaoke
Mar 17th, 2003, 12:48 PM
:worship: :worship:
Oh gosh, now I can cry anytime since the file is online. thanks y'all. :wavey:

locks
Jun 14th, 2003, 07:10 PM
An account of one of the girls who read the poem to Venus and Serena.

http://www.basseyworld.com/archives/00000185.htm

it was kind of exciting sitting in the audience, especially with the added anticipation of having to perform at some point. about an hour and a half into the show, we were taken backstage for our segment. the nerves went into overdrive. when we were being led backstage, cedric the entertainer stopped us and said, Ďdo your thing, girls. youíll be great.í backstage was madness. so much was going on. we went over the poem a dozen times quietly and quickly . we were all so nervous, we could barely get through the poem. we heard the announcer present president mfume. we were supposed to go on after the short film about venus and serena. we were led behind the screen and were counted down. stand by! ten (oh lord!), 9 (iím going to throw up), 8 (the girls and i hug), 7 (we pump each other up), 6 (deep breath), 5-4-3-2- "from russell simmonís def poetry jam.... please welcome, Amalia ortiz, ishle park, and bassey ikpi....
we walked forward clutching hands. and stood in front of our mics. it was overwhelming. there was just a sea of face in front of us. when the polite applause died down. i felt ishle take a deep breath and start the poem. the rest is a blur. but i know we did well! i remember hearing the crowd react in soft gasps and ohhhs. iím so proud of the girls. we went up there and put our heart in it. i could feel both ishle and amalia just close their eyes and go for it. and i had no choice but to do the same. there were a few glitches, but we recovered really well. and we knew because weíd spent so much time with the text, but the audience had no clue. you have to read ishleís entry. itís hilarious! venus and serena started crying during the poem. i couldnít look at them when they started because i felt like i was going to explode. but when it was over. we took our bow and acknowledged the girls. and then walked off stage. it was OVER! 2 solid days of agonizing were over. the folks backstage were so supportive. we got so much positive ****. when venus and serena came backstage, they hugged us and thanked us for the poem. they were so gracious and almost shocked that anyone would write a poem for them. their humility was beautiful. speaking of beautiful. venus williams is a gorgeous, gorgeous girl. the camera does her no justice. her skin. her smile. her eyes. and that body. sheís taaaaallllllll. they took a few pictures with us and hung out backstage. and then... denzel walks in. and talks to serena. i was shocked. denzel interrupted our interaction with venus and serena. was i mad? hellllllll no! he wasnít very friendly and he looked tired. but iím not mad. when i win an oscar, maybe i can judge. but until then, heís all right with me! and then the moment iíd been waiting for my whole life. angela bassett wins an image award for some movie she was in. i think it was the rosa parks story. she gives her speech. and then... she comes backstage. people are congratulating her. sheís smiling. sheís so beautiful. just shining. iím more nervous with her so close, than i was about the poem. i was going to say something to her, but i didnít want to bother her. and then she looks up and looks at me. then looks at ishle and amalia and she lights up in a smile, walks right over to us and says, "you guys were fabulous! i loved every word of it! it was wonderfulí uh hunh.... angela bassett. thatís right, i said it, and iíll say it again too! she was so sweet to us. she took pictures. she chatted. i could have died! she was wonderful and so gracious and beautiful (insert gushing sounds). it could have ended there. believe it or not, i left out a lot. itís just too much to recapture. but thatís the bulk of it.