PDA

View Full Version : Who was the biggest dissapointment at IW?

tenn_ace
Mar 13th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Dinara gets my vote. She's been pretty lucky with the draw but couldn't again capitalize on it.

Lena Bovina... I expected so much more from her especially considering that courts do suit her game (fast) and balls fly faster (desert)

Maria S... Elena B. showed that Sam wasn't on the top of her game

Nadia Petrova... not being able to qualify? :confused:

Tania Panova? losing to Gagliardi?

Lina... not playing? and that's when you're in form?

what are your thoughts, friends?

GBFH
Mar 13th, 2003, 04:13 PM
I'm no expert, but my pick goes to Dinara. She could have closed out her first rounder in the third, but must have gotten really nervous. But hey, it happens, and she's only 16.

Hope she and Myskina stay together as a doubles tandem :D

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 13th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Only one candidate

Nadia Petrova
losing to Koulikovskaya just shouldn't happen to her but she lets the temper get the better of her and gets irritated. :mad:

Varissle
Mar 13th, 2003, 04:33 PM
lina because she didn't play

Leena
Mar 13th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Lena wasn't a disappointment... she should have won the 1st set against Lindsay, but you know, Lindsay's pretty good. :) A win over Cho isn't a small accomplishment either, so I say she had a decent tourney.

Probably Dinara then... a freaky way to lose that 1st round match.

Warrior
Mar 13th, 2003, 05:47 PM
I'd probably say Petrova. I had high expectations from her, but she didn't even qualify.

auntie janie
Mar 13th, 2003, 06:10 PM
1) Definitely Nadia! I expected her to go at least a few rounds into the main draw, & she didn't even get to the starting line. Undone by bad serving and her own temper -- she even got a warning from the umpire -- :fiery: :o

2) Anastasia -- Lost her top-10 spot so soon after getting it. :mad:

3) Maria -- I thought she was sure to get past Reeves! :o

But hey, these disappointments were offset for me by the surprising showings of both Vera:angel: and Sveta. I guess I'd rather talk about that! :D :D :hearts: :hearts: :kiss:

Leena
Mar 13th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Why is Nadia losing so surprising? I don't follow the other Russian girls as much as you guys... but I'm wondering. Other than being the 2nd last person to beat Martina, I don't recall her doing much... she's lost to Lena and Lina in early rounds recently.

tenn_ace
Mar 13th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Leena, last year (just before getting injured) she played some awesome tennis (taking Venus to 3)...

we're still hoping that she gets to the same form. she's certainly better than her current ranking. all she needs is some confidence - just look what she achieved in doubles since she came back from the injury.

the cat
Mar 13th, 2003, 08:23 PM
For me, the biggest dissapointment was Elena Dementieva's third set meltdown against Jennifer Capriati. That third set summed up what is holding Elena back as a tennis player. Her serve was atrocious! :eek: And she doesn't seem to have to will to win and fighting spirit she used to have. :(

As for Bovina, Leena. Why was she supposed to have won the first set against Davenport? She was only up 1 break of serve. And that's nothing in women's tennis. But Bovina finally showed a big first serve in that match. And that was great to see! :D

Myskina was another dissapointment. It seems every time a female Russian tennis player is ready to become a real challenger to the top players, they falter and take a step back.

Gowza
Mar 13th, 2003, 08:26 PM
lina not playing

then nadia because she couldn't qualify.

after her it is hard to pick because all players are at different points of their careers. i think they were all as dissapointing as each other.obviously first round exits for maria s and safina weren't good considering they were in control and at some stage they had a chance to win it. i think bovina's loss was pretty bad. it was her first straight sets loss to lindsay in 4 meetings.

Leena
Mar 13th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Nadia was very streaky before though... that's why I'm not that surprised. She'd get to the QF of Wimbledon '01, and then she'd disappear for a few months. And since she came back last year, she hasn't been doing much. She should beat players like Eugenia, but it's not totally surprising she lost.

About Lena... if she's going to be a Top 10 player, which requires her eventually beating at least a couple top players... she has to win sets like that when she has the chance.

It's not that she was up 4-2 with a break, it's that she lost 4 straight crucial, important games when Lindsay didn't step up her game, and Lena blew it on the big points. Lena had her chances and didn't get the job done.

She has to stop letting bunches of games go like that. Lena proved it's not a mental problem, or a focus problem, because she was trying her damndest in the end of the 1st set. Her game just has to be more consistent... She got away with it against Cho, but that must stop against better players.

vaiva
Mar 13th, 2003, 11:06 PM
For me it was Nadia and Nastia.

Nadia - because she failed to qualify and I cannot think of any reason why. She is healthy (as she successfully played in doubles), playing a moderate schedule and should be eager to do well at big tournaments.

Nastia - because she was beginning to show more consistency which is a must for every top 10 player. Her early loss to Sveta came as a huge surprise to me.

Others were not so disappointing because in one way or another you could expect the things to go as they went in the tournament, e.g. Dinara losing early or Elena D. going out to Capriati

Sammm
Mar 14th, 2003, 12:13 PM
All about Panova for me.
She had a chnace to end her losing streak against an opponent she had never lost to with a 6-4, 4-0 lead.
:sad:

King Aaron
Mar 16th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Definitely Nadia. It should have been a pice of cake for her to qualify. And then a few wins in the main draw was expected of her. Nadia was playing really well before her injury last year and since she came back, has been really streaky.