PDA

View Full Version : Sunday @ IW (sorry it's late!)

Tratree
Mar 11th, 2003, 05:30 AM
Sorry guys....I'm hardly having time to sleep, so I'm a little behind in my reports. Here's Sunday:

Started off the day with Hantuchova vs. Srebotnik. Totally thought this would be a runaway win for Daniela, but Katerina really played a good first set. I didn't see the stats, but she must have had around ten aces....very good serving. She was up 5-4 in the first set and Daniela was getting really agitated, but she pulled it together and fought back for a 7-5 win in the set. I knew, unfortunately, that Srebotnik would fold. My friend was saying it would be a good three set match. I told him, no, the players outside the top 10-15 almost always fold the tent and go home after they lose the first set. If they win the first set, they will stick around and fight, but if they lose that first set to a top player so many of them fold easily at 6-1 or 6-2. Anyways, I was right unfortunately. Of course, Daniela had a bit to do with the easier second set. She got her head together and calmed down.

The funniest thing of the day happened after Dani's match. They had a wheelchair tennis exhibition scheduled next and asked Dani to stick around (never put the words DANIELA and STICK in the same sentence!!!). They had her play against two guys in wheelchairs. The guys got two bounces and she got one. Well, she was beating them badly after one game, so they had a ballgirl come and hold Dani's left hand. She's dragging this kid all over the court and still beating the guys, so she switches the racket to her left hand and has the kid hold her right hand. She's still winning....hitting left-handed "backhands" with great ability. So they get ANOTHER ballgirl to come and hold the hand of the first ballgirl. So now Dani is playing left-handed and dragging two girls all over the court. Of course we were saying, drop-shot the wheelchair guys, but Dani was too nice for that ;) The guys ended up winning the three game match and much fun was had by all.

Later on in Daniela's post-match PC, our fearless reporter from www.tennis-ontheline.com got up the courage to ask Daniela if she was different from last year, if she was perhaps skinnier. She said she has been growing for the last few months. She declined to put a number on it, but said she was surprised because she thought she was done with that. She smiled and said, "I like eating food"....which is a great comfort ;) She was not unnerved by the question and answered it very directly.

Next up was Kimbo Clijsters. Once again, a top seed in danger of losing the first set. Schiavone was mixing it up and Clijsters was camped 5 feet behind the baseline fielding high-bouncing junk balls at about shoulder level. Not the sharpest I've seen Kim, but she squeaked through. Schiavone has the most unusual "grunt". It always freaks me out cuz it sounds like someone is yelling "out" after she hits the ball, lol. My positive report on Schiavone is that she didn't spit during this match....she's not one of my favorites, so we'll just leave it at that ;)

I wasn't feeling the best, so I decided not to stick around for the other matches. Instead I sat in traffic going back towards LA. Good move, excellent plan, Trace.

Sorry, I'm done whining, lol.

Yesterday evidently was drill day. No one even informed me :( Guga was out with his coaching tossing balls for him to hit forehands. Safina, Myskina and Likhovtseva, or the Three Moscowteers (they're inseparable all week), were out training with the same coach or trainer on the grassy field. He had balls set up on the ground and they did foot drills around them. Then he had them running five paces or so and then doing a duck walk/lunge thingy all the way down the field. Priceless :D They were having tons of fun as well.

Next out on the grassy knoll was JCap, BroCap and her trainer (who bears an uncanny resemblence to Chanda Rubin (it was she sitting with the Capriati clan the other day, not Miss Rubin) after her morning practice. They tossed the medicine ball, ran sprints (Jen always lost to 'lil Stefano and Miss Thang Trainer) and did some funky little footwork drills (looked like football drills).

Saw Andy Roddick come back from practice (with Mandy Moore in tow..doesn't she look so much better as a brunette???). Didn't catch his practice, so don't ask me for Shirtless!Roddick photos, okay??

Federer and Enqvist ran some poor people in a tennis clinic off their court precisely at the change of the hour when they were scheduled. Kinda rude about it if you ask me, but no one did, so.......

I've jumped on the Younes El-Aynaoui bandwagon, folks....he quite possibly could be the nicest guy on the ATP. He not only is gracious to fans, but he greets everyone with a warm hello when passing. He seems SO tall.....I'm too lazy to look up his height.

Xavier Malisse was accosted by (just kidding) a group of rabid Belgian fans complete with tri-color bozo wig, flags and face paint. He stopped outside the media center/dining area and posed for a bunch of pictures for them. He was looking very cute for a guy who is a cross between Eddie Munster and a monkey, but then again I don't want the wrath of Belgian fans on me so I'll shut up now.

During lunch I saw Carlos Moya whistling while strolling through the dining area on the way to the courts. Like the hair shorter, Carlos!
Max Miryni sat down mere feet from me (I have a think for tall handsome Eastern European men.....) and I controlled myself rather nicely. I did manage to sneak off a cute picture of him, which should be up at www.tennis-ontheline.com very soon along with the rest of my pics. Some are up with Ed's report from yesterday already.

That's all for Sunday! Thank you very much...I'm here all week ;)

gorecki
Mar 11th, 2003, 05:40 AM
Another great report Traci! :wavey:

Keep them coming!

Chance
Mar 11th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Thanks tratree - now get some sleep ;)

vaiva
Mar 11th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Thanks! Great! Funny! Inspirational! :worship:

Doris Loeffel
Mar 11th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Thanks for all the great reports!!

Fieke
Mar 11th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Xavier Malisse was accosted by (just kidding) a group of rabid Belgian fans complete with tri-color bozo wig, flags and face paint. He stopped outside the media center/dining area and posed for a bunch of pictures for them. He was looking very cute for a guy who is a cross between Eddie Munster and a monkey, but then again I don't want the wrath of Belgian fans on me so I'll shut up now.

Wise decision :p ;)
Thanks again for the report! I really enjoy reading them!

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 11th, 2003, 08:57 AM
nice reports Traci :)
thanx :kiss:

Beat
Mar 11th, 2003, 09:27 AM
great report :) ! thanks for talking about the off-court activities as well.

King Aaron
Mar 11th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Thanks Traci. :)

RAA
Mar 11th, 2003, 08:31 PM
These are great reports, thanks for posting them.

Jen's new trainer looks like a brick house.

Sonja
Mar 11th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Thanks for sharing Traci!

Mrs. Peel
Mar 11th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Thank you for the report and the pic of my man Max :hearts: :hearts: