PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay defeats Lena 6-4 6-3

Leena
Mar 11th, 2003, 05:24 AM
If you haven't watched this match yet... don't bother. This was an awful match from both players. I don't remember the stats, but the UE/Winner ratio was like 3:1 for both players.

Lindsay was down on herself the entire match, she was spraying balls left and right... you're not gonna get a better chance to beat her... and Lena throws up a stinker.

This was maybe even worse than their match at US Open... neither deserved to win... especially Lena. Lena was mentally into it, but her game was just way way way off.

When I say Lena is inconsistent, pop in a tape of this match... mishit after mishit after mishit.

Lena's serve may even be WORSE now, from when I last saw her against Venus... that dip she does before she swings is even more pronounced. She doesn't move into the court at all... I mean, FUCK! MY HIGH SCHOOL TEAMMATES SERVED BETTER THAN HER! Someone teach her to serve... NOW.

Bah, whatever, 4th round is still a good result for Lena... she'll get more chances... she's too talented, and to mentally strong to not reach the next level. It's just such a downer too see that she still has so many glaring weaknesses in her game... I'm not giving up on her though. :)

LeonHart
Mar 11th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Leena, I felt Lena's serve wasn't that off, maybe you were exaggerating a bit? ;). Her groundies were off today, so Lindsay won :(

Leena
Mar 11th, 2003, 05:49 AM
Lena did serve a few aces, and her 1st serve percentage was high... Lindsay was still getting big whacks on both 1st and 2nd balls, though. I will say her deuce slice serve was working well though.

I was bitching more about how technically ugly it is... it's still so inconsistent, and she's moving every which way.

Also, I get a little overemotional when Lena plays. :)

vaiva
Mar 11th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Lena :sad:

I was expecting to see more fight from her. And certainly not a straight sets victory by Lindsay. Was it really that bad, Leena, as you described it? I have some doubts ;)

Lena should start winning over higher ranked players if she wants to firmly establish herself on top. And be more consistent (who does not need that). So I wish her the best of luck. Maybe in Miami she can go one step further :)

Good luck, Lena!

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 11th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Lena :sad: :(
wonder if we get to see this today :confused:

auntie janie
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:29 PM
I expected Lindsay to win - she loves these California hardcourts, plus she is just a great player.

Losing to Lindsay, especially here, is no shame. But if it is true the way Leena says she was playing, then THAT is what is disappointing to me. Elena has allowed Lindsay to take up residence in her head, maybe? So she is mentally unable to play her best game when she plays Lindsay?

Or, do Lindsay's heavy balls just keep Elena off-balance and always hitting on the run? Does Lindsay's return-of-serve skill put so much pressure on Elena that she can't serve with natural ease? I would have to see the match for myself to decide.

Leena, are your expectations for your fave a little too high right now, maybe? ;) What has Elena done so far on the Tour that would make you think she was mentally / emotionally/ and ESPECIALLY tennis-wise, ready to beat Lindsay, anyway? I'd love to believe she is that good, but I just don't think that is the case -- YET. :kiss:

Pathetically, I forgot IW was on tv yesterday, so even if they aired this match here, which I don't even know, I missed it! :rolleyes:

King Aaron
Mar 11th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Lena :sad: This has got to be the least close match in terms of score when the both of them have played each other.

Leena
Mar 11th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Lindsay wasn't playing well... that's what got me frustrated. Especially in the 1st set... Lena was up 4-2, and blew the last 4 games in the set. It's not like Lindsay the Veteran suddenly started playing better in the big points... Lena just made more errors.

I should have said that Lindsay did start playing better later on in the 2nd, especially on her serve games... but she didn't go for winners then, she was keeping it in the middle, and Lena self-destructed more times than not.

Lena can handle Lindsay's heavy-hitting. In the few rallies they had, she was hitting toe-to-toe with her. In her matches against Jelena and Venus she was handling the power easily, so I don't think that's a problem.

Of course, I have too high of expectations for Lena... I want to see her on top so bad. :)

I've seen her numerous times, and I've seen Lena play well... she has the deep, penetrating, powerful strokes that should be more consistent because they're technically quite sound, good movement to be a Top 5 player, her serve needs work though... and I've seen her play terrible. It's the consistency that's a problem... and I keep hoping that eventually goes away.

She's improved leaps and bounds mentally... she was fighting and pumping herself up even when the match was pretty well decided... she doesn't give up anymore.

I really believe that Lena is right up there with Lindsay. IMO, she has the game to do it. I'm probably expecting too much, too soon from Lena, she's still relatively new in the upper echelon of tennis... but I want to see her play like a Top 10 player, because I know she's more than capable of it. :)

Elleke
Mar 11th, 2003, 04:02 PM
:sad::sad::sad: I really thought she would have won this one.. :(:(:(:(

snoop
Mar 11th, 2003, 05:03 PM
:sad:

Match is now on Eurosport

Well, I dont think that her serve was that bad and she also hit several great winners. But unfortunately very inconsistent :(

Better luck in Miami :)

King Aaron
Mar 12th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Lindsay wasn't playing well... that's what got me frustrated. Especially in the 1st set... Lena was up 4-2, and blew the last 4 games in the set. It's not like Lindsay the Veteran suddenly started playing better in the big points... Lena just made more errors.

I should have said that Lindsay did start playing better later on in the 2nd, especially on her serve games... but she didn't go for winners then, she was keeping it in the middle, and Lena self-destructed more times than not.

Lena can handle Lindsay's heavy-hitting. In the few rallies they had, she was hitting toe-to-toe with her. In her matches against Jelena and Venus she was handling the power easily, so I don't think that's a problem.

Of course, I have too high of expectations for Lena... I want to see her on top so bad. :)

I've seen her numerous times, and I've seen Lena play well... she has the deep, penetrating, powerful strokes that should be more consistent because they're technically quite sound, good movement to be a Top 5 player, her serve needs work though... and I've seen her play terrible. It's the consistency that's a problem... and I keep hoping that eventually goes away.

She's improved leaps and bounds mentally... she was fighting and pumping herself up even when the match was pretty well decided... she doesn't give up anymore.

I really believe that Lena is right up there with Lindsay. IMO, she has the game to do it. I'm probably expecting too much, too soon from Lena, she's still relatively new in the upper echelon of tennis... but I want to see her play like a Top 10 player, because I know she's more than capable of it. :)
I do think you're expecting too much too soon like you said. Lena is still inexperienced compared to the big guns but with more matches against them, no doubt Lena can improve. The main thing now is to beat the lower ranked players easily.

the cat
Mar 13th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Elena does have alot of potential! But she must get in the weight room and add some muscle to her very weak upper body. And the very tall Elena needs to improve her woeful lateral movement and slow first step. Some speed and quickness drills should help her footwork and lateral movement. Footwork drills did wonders for Elena Dementieva, who is only a couple of inches shorter than Elena Bovina. I expect to see Elena Bovina improve in the next year or so. She seems to have alot of desire. And that's a great sighn! If Elena does improve she could become a real threat to the top women's tennis players.

Udachi Elena! :bounce:

Leena
Mar 14th, 2003, 12:42 AM
I disagree that Lena needs to muscle up...

1) She's 6'3. Her body isn't normal. Her reach goes on forever. She can lift weights forever and there's a good chance that there will be no results.

2) Being that she's so tall and lanky, there's even more chance of her injuring herself... which happens far too often with tennis players who lift too much.

3) I've stood next to her, and she's not that thin... Lena weighs about 160 pounds. There's a few girls ranked higher than her (See: Dani) that are doing fine while looking 100 times skinnier.

4) Power isn't a problem for Lena. She may not be in the league of Serena, Lucic... but she doesn't have to be. Lena has a hard enough time harnessing her power now... we don't need to make it any harder.

Lena does do work on her movement... I saw her do quite a bit of it, watching her practice. She really has impressive mobility for her size... but I do agree that it didn't seem that way against Lindsay. Any work to make her quicker on the court is a good thing.

Also, if she gets a month break or so, dismantle the serve... and start again anew.

*JR*
Mar 14th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Leena, if she'd just change the "e" in Lena to an "i"... :p

Roxers
Mar 15th, 2003, 12:01 AM
:sad: Better Luck next Time, Elena

the cat
Mar 18th, 2003, 11:41 PM
Leena, you want Elena to dismantle her serve? Why? Her serve is getting better. This is Elena Bovina we're talking about and not Elena Dementieva. Right?

But you do make good points about why Elena shouldn't hit the weight room to get stronger.

Elena B. does have alot of potential. I just hope she can fulfill that potential! :bounce: