PDA

View Full Version : Bovina trying to be like Venus

tennisIlove09
Mar 9th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Bovina knows taking on Davenport is tall order
March 9 2003
By Leighton Ginn
The Desert Sun

INDIAN WELLS -- Russian Elena Bovina showed how much her tennis game has improved in the two years since she made her debut at Indian Wells. Bovina says she isaggressive and able to hit bigger shots.

Qualifier Samantha Reeves could testify to that improvement after a 6-1, 6-0 loss to Bovina on Saturday that lasted 52 minutes in the third round of the Pacific Life Open.

Bovina, No. 17 in the world, has a game that continues to mature.

"I knew it was important to get off to a quick start and make her play," Bovina said about her match with Reeves. "She had a lot of unforced errors and I took advantage and finished it."

Bovina moves into the fourth round where she will face two-time Indian Wells champion Lindsay Davenport, who defeated Elena Likhovtseva 6-3, 6-0.

Bovina said she tries to model her game more in line with Venus Williams. Davenport, however, is a different sort of player.

"I don’t think she moves as well as Venus, but she uses her shots very well so she doesn’t have to move," Bovina said. "I try to be like Venus because these days, it’s important to move well and cover the court, but you also have to be powerful in your strokes."

Venus Forever
Mar 9th, 2003, 10:36 PM
I'm really starting to like this girl now.:rolleyes:

TM
Mar 10th, 2003, 12:08 AM
awwh. that's sweet.
i liked bovina starting from last flushing meadow open

she ran davenport ragged but couldn't finish it off.
i think she'll be the most successful russian woman player as of right now.

Infiniti2001
Mar 10th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Good for Bovina, but this will leave our hater buddies quite distressed if you know what I mean ;)

jean_genie
Mar 10th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Good for Bovina. She couldn't have picked a better role model than our ?Vee :worship:

catkey94
Mar 11th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Smart girl!!! :)

doloresc
Mar 11th, 2003, 11:55 AM
that's rather complimentary. good for bovina. :)

Mr. Man
Mar 11th, 2003, 11:05 PM
:kiss: Bovina.

Leena
Apr 4th, 2003, 02:03 PM
:)

Maybe Vee should take some lessons from their last match, too. :p

cheeky
Apr 4th, 2003, 03:30 PM
:)

Maybe Vee should take some lessons from their last match, too. :p
yes anyways!!! :rolleyes:

Chance
Apr 5th, 2003, 03:57 AM
Leena was just joking..... it will be very interesting to see Venus play Bovina again,it might happen in Warsaw.

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 21st, 2003, 10:50 PM
Venus is the perfect role model!!!!