PDA

View Full Version : Saturday @ IW

Tratree
Mar 9th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Oh my Lawd.....I just typed an epistle about yesterday and then the computer ate it. Damn internet connection! I have to go now for the matches today, but I promise I will give a detailed report tonight about Saturday and Sunday.

Just to whet your whistle, my report will contain tidbits about Marat!Shirtless, Jennifer with safety goggles on and Dani's ribs.

Later!

Steff_forever
Mar 9th, 2003, 04:18 PM
I'm looking forward to your lines (plz plz many about Babsi vs Conchi and Dani vs Srebotnik !!!)

Internet sucks sometimes ;)
Thx Tratree

Steveg
Mar 9th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Oh my Lawd.....I just typed an epistle about yesterday and then the computer ate it. Damn internet connection! I have to go now for the matches today, but I promise I will give a detailed report tonight about Saturday and Sunday.

Just to whet your whistle, my report will contain tidbits about Marat!Shirtless, Jennifer with safety goggles on and Dani's ribs.

Later!
It happened to me so many times that I now save my long messages under Word or Outlook on a regular basis.

I know how frustrating it is :sad: .

have a good day and lot of fun :wavey:

Kim_for_number_1
Mar 9th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Marat, shirtless, I'm soooooo jealous :hearts:
and looking forward to your story

Steff_forever
Mar 9th, 2003, 04:34 PM
It happened to me so many times that I now save my long messages under Word or Outlook on a regular basis.

me 2 ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 9th, 2003, 04:37 PM
thanx Traci
will look forward to that report and todays later :)

Give Ed a hi from me :)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 9th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Marat shirtless?????????

OMG.........I'll be waiting on pins and needles!!!!!

Have fun Traci :D

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 9th, 2003, 05:00 PM
thanx Traci
will look forward to that report and todays later :)

Give Ed a hi from me :)
btw sergei - it's nice to have you in all these threads again :D

you were missed!

Mark43
Mar 9th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Tratree,
Looking forward to your report and maybe a few pics of Marat + Jen!
:wavey:

Jordan.
Mar 9th, 2003, 09:09 PM
:wavey:

Tratree
Mar 10th, 2003, 04:05 AM
Ok, let's try this again!

I started off the day watching the second set of Daniiilidou/Shaughnessy. I guess theoritically it was an upset, but I wasn't surprised Meghann won. She's playing much better than the last time I saw her in August at Acura. It wasn't the prettiest match, but each had their moments. Eleni needs to work on that second serve big time. Meghan won 75% of the points on Eleni's second serve. Not good enough for someone trying to break into the top 10. Meghann was pretty solid, but most of the match she was too defensive. Even when she wasn't playing last year, Meghann still had confidence exuding from her, but she seemed a bit lost at times in this match. Eleni's movement is still VERY suspect. My funniest moment of the match was waiting to get in on a changeover and two ladies were going on about how Daniilidou was German, cuz it said GR after her name on the draw. They actually were surprised when I told them she was Greek. Go figure!

I snuck over to stadium 2 for a few games of Kuznetsova and Zvonareva, but I had to leave on the very next changeover. REALLY ugly tennis. I had heard so much about these girls as the
young guns coming up, but I was not impressed at all. Hopefully it was a bad day for both of them. Rallies with the ball 4-5 feet above the net is just not my kind of tennis.

Went back to the main stadium for Lindsay and Elena L. Elena has been suffering from Achilles tendinitis and she flexed that foot many times during the match. She must not have been too hurt though, because she later played and won her doubles match with Cara Black. Anyways, too many errors from Elena. Lindsay was playing some stinky tennis the first few games, but Elena didn't take advantage. LD was pretty flat, but she won the first set pretty easily and then apparently steamrolled through the second (which I did not stay for). LD's mom and her sisters were there at both her matches, but no sign of Jon.

I had lunch after that match. Along came Dinara Safina and Anastasia Myskina along with Safina's mom as well as a friend and sat next to me. They were chatting quite animated, but my Russian doesn't extend past nyet, so who knows what was so exciing. Myskina had her cute orange shorts with the belt and matching bright orange flip flops. Not quite match approriate, but a nice touch nonetheless ;)

Passing through the dining area were Henman and Lapennti (fresh off their modeling turns in the MB fashion show). Damn, Nico is hot. Sorry, just had to get that out of the way....whew, better now. Rossana NDLR and her cutie pie daughter were all over the place again. Enqvist was chatting up some photographers, not me :(. He really needs to highlight his hair again. Not that there isn't TOO peroxide floating around the ATP. I honestly think they make some of the guys who lose get gosh-awful highlights as a punishment......but I digress. I noticed a pressure change in the atmosphere and here comes Andre and Gil whooshing through the patio on his way to practice, where he was joined by about 500 of his closest friends climbing fences, leaning over balconies, peeking through fences. It's not pretty people...grown adults making fools of themselves to try and sneak a look at Dre...with a shirt on no less as well as that ridiculous white cap he insists on wearing to kept his dome from blistering. Kim C. came wandering in clutching her cell phone like Prince Charming would call from Scottsdale at any moment
:hearts: She snagged a tray of food and raced back to the player's area to await her love connection.

Practice-wise, Daniela was out there for two hours with Nigel....in a sports bra (Dani, not Nigel!). Scary stuff, folks. I still stick my thought that looks pretty healthy and obviously has some good stamina, so I hope she is okay (more on that in Sunday's report).

Dokic and Petrova were out on the courts before their dubs. Speed Racer and Heinz were there with Jelena.

Goran was hitting with Chang (why, I'm not sure). Chang is having some big ceremony on Monday night for his last appearance here (yawn.) Goran has a sissy haircut (think Little Lord Fauntleroy) and is clean shaven. I prefer the Jesus look he had going a few years ago :(

Safin was out again, SANS SHIRT, for 2 or 3 sessions of practice. He hit with Guga once. He and Guga seem to be vying for the newly coined title of "Practice Ho", but I think Guga won it hands down for the second day in a row. Juan Carlos was out again, no pun intended, again with a dang shirt on. Wassup with that? Younes El Aynaoui was again a big draw on the practice courts.

Krajicek and Sjeng Schalken were keeping Dutch pride alive on one of the main courts. Cecil Mammet was hitting before his match (damn fine body for such a lil guy).

Also warming up was JCap and her bro. She had her sunglasses on, but if you ask me they look a bit like safety glasses. I kept expecting her to pick up a blow torch or some other power tool :cool:

Back to the matches:

Saw Jennifer take on Chladkova later on. Seriously, does anyone know if Denisa voluntarily does that to her hair or is it some form of punishment for losing matches...cuz that is just stone cold ugly.

Jennifer played a WONDERFUL match...very impressive. You know how the lately she had been hitting defensive shots when she was on the run....like just barely getting to the ball?? Well, she's back to hitting her trademark screaming crosscourt forehands on the run. She was playing a lot more offensively than I have seen her play in a LONG time. Coming to the net to end points, hitting winners all over the place. She had 4 DFs, but one was clearly not out (to me and a bunch of people who whistled at the call) and one came right after Dennis Overrule gave Denisa a game when he overruled on one point that was initially called out and then let an ace stand that was so far out you could see the mark. She got ticked, but then let it go after that first DF. Jen ended the match at the net with a nice crisp nasty angle volley..very impressive. And she looked purty in pink too :)

Next up was Mauresmo and Tammy T. Tammy really had her chances, but neither player was very consistent. One game in the third set had like nine deuces, no lie. Of course this would be the one I was waiting to end so I could get into the match. Never fails....never a love game when you're waiting to leave or enter a match, lol. Anyways, Mauresmo was moving fine....seemed to have no problem with the knee. Her serve was another story. Very erratic. She had like 16 DFs. That alone should have helped Tammy, but she couldn't stay consistent enough. Too many dips in play. Tammy has really nice shots...I'm not sure what it is she needs to make that next step.....maybe her lack of court coverage is her biggest liability. She hands the power fine, but she can't get to all the shots. That said, she remains one of my favorite players on the tour because she is so dang nice :) She stopped on the way off court and signed autographs for the kids. :) Funniest thing heard about this match - these ladies from Portland on a Mom's getaway were entertaining me during the marathon nine-deuce game and one of them said that due to current events oddly enough she was all about supporting the British and Spanish players this week. She wanted to talk to Amelie about her political concerns before she could support a French player. Sorry, that just cracked me up. Funny ladies :)

Saw the first set of the Dav/Raymond vs. Myskina/Safina match. Extremely entertaining match to say the least. It was a lot closer than the score suggests. A few times the players had rallies where the ball wouldn't touch the court for like 10 hits, rapid-fire vollleys. Really fine dubs by all four players. I did heard later than after the match Davenport signed autographs for like 20 kids while Lisa refused to and left the court. Wassup with that? Lisa, be happy they WANT your autograph!

ok, that's it for Saturday. Now, on to Sunday!

Harju.
Mar 10th, 2003, 05:24 AM
great report :bounce:

too bad u did not see angie-serna match :(

Tratree
Mar 10th, 2003, 05:33 AM
I did see a couple games of it, but not much to report about. Pretty sloppy play by both, errors everywhere, not a lot of winners. I have a few pictures from it that I will post at www.tennis-ontheline.com in the next day or so.

Our reporter, Ed. T., interviewed Angie yesterday too.

jirobkk
Mar 10th, 2003, 05:35 AM
Tammy has really nice shots...I'm not sure what it is she needs to make that next step.....maybe her lack of court coverage is her biggest liability. She hands the power fine, but she can't get to all the shots. That said, she remains one of my favorite players on the tour because she is so dang nice :) She stopped on the way off court and signed autographs for the kids. :)

Thanks a lot Tratree for a nice report.

Actually Tammy has a good ground stroke, her game is improved a lot and she just won her first title in Indian Open 2003 last month. She still need to do a lot of homework, she need to improve her serve and like you said her lack of court coverage is her biggest liability. Totally I gree with you. It seemed like the key point of this match is the 4th game of 3rd set, like you said Tammy had so many chances to break back when she was down 1-2 but she could not convert it (even Momo made many DF.)

Glad to know Tammy is one of your favorite players, she is very nice person.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

gorecki
Mar 10th, 2003, 06:19 AM
Great Report!

LOL @ Kimmy + cellphone bit... :D

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 10th, 2003, 10:15 AM
thanx Traci for the great reports :)
and to Ed Toombs @OTL :) (Tombeau)

Steff_forever
Mar 10th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Thanks again Traci for investing much time to give us insight on what has happened on the courts on Saturday. :worship:
Think Daniela should hold her weight, not more - not less.

Iconoclast
Mar 10th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Hilarious report!

Loved the bits about the clueless spectators (Eleni the German, and Mauresmo the Politician). And Agassi's 500 close friends...

Yup, Denisa's haircut just doesn't quite cut it.

Fieke
Mar 10th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Very entertaining report, thanks! Looking forward to the next one.

gorecki
Mar 10th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Looking forward to more reports!

Traci - any sightings/updates on Zvereva?

graf630
Mar 10th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Great report Tratree! Thanks so much!
Can't wait for your next one! :)

Tratree
Mar 10th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Looking forward to more reports!

Traci - any sightings/updates on Zvereva?
No sightings on Z. I'll dig around this week. Haven't had time to talk to many of the people in the know so far.

gourownway
Mar 10th, 2003, 03:13 PM
LOL!!

I have to admit that I was one of Andre's 500 friends!!! Hey all I wanted was a picture damn it.. :)

Thanks for the report, you helped me re-live my day. You're right about Guga, he win's hands down, or atleast from what I saw of it. Although he doesn't do it for me, and I was kind of shocked about how many ladies were drooling.

gokimmie
Mar 10th, 2003, 03:27 PM
lmao:) very well written report!thanx:)

Linnie
Mar 10th, 2003, 03:36 PM
LOL and :rolleyes: at Momo the politician. I knew this would come up eventually. Is there a lot of that going on there, or are the French players not bothered about it?

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the report, Traci! :D

Tratree
Mar 10th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Linnie,

That's the first I've heard of anything with the French players and the lady was pretty much kidding :) You'll be happy to know Amelie seemed to have quite a fan base the other day during her match. Lots of "Allez Amelie" and other yells of support in French as well as English.

Linnie
Mar 10th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Glad to hear that! Thanks, Traci!! :D

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 10th, 2003, 06:59 PM
LOL....hilarious report!

Thanks Traci :)

vaiva
Mar 10th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Great and hilarious report!
Thanks so much ;)

King Aaron