PDA

View Full Version : article: Mauresmo says she can be No. 1

YSL
Mar 9th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Thanks to Saff for pointing this out and friend for actually paying the subscription and kindly letting us hijack that :D ;)

From ********************

Mauresmo says she can be No. 1

Of course, the entire tennis universe revolves around the Williamses and since they are not in the desert, it's easier for the other elite players to strut their stuff. By the end of the tournament, we'll see who the legitimate No. 3 and 4 players are and whether they are playing well enough to scare the sisters in the Miami.

"It's a great opportunity to play through," Davenport said. "They've really been dominating the last year. Things are looking a lot better in the draw for us without them in the tournament."

Outside of Kim Clijsters, it could easily be argued that Mauresmo was the Williamses' toughest foe last year. On Thursday, she wasted Swiss 17-year-old Myriam Casanova 6-4, 6-0 and showed few signs off her old knee injury or the strained abductor muscle she suffered in Dubai.

The eighth-ranked Mauresmo isn't sure whether she is in good enough match shape to win the Pacific Life, but does believe she can eventually take over the top ranking.

"The [Williamses] brought the game to another level," said Mauresmo. "That's all right for me, because I've been training well. You have to do a lot of things and do it well to challenge them. But I don't wake up in the morning and say I have to go practice because I have to beat Venus and Serena."

Mauresmo, who reached both the Wimbledon and US Open semis last year before being stopped by – who else – Serena and Venus, and ended the year ranked career-high No. 6 and added that her commitment to the net has served her well. (pfft, it was No.4!!)

"It was my best season ever," Mauresmo said. "I needed to go forward more and become more aggressive and that's worked out really well for me. There's always matches you could have won, but I feel like I was very consistent overall."

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Linnie
Mar 9th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Thanks, YSL....and thank your, um, "friend", too :D ;)

Eiffel
Mar 9th, 2003, 05:11 PM
It's a loooooong way for her. :rolleyes:

but for my best wishes :angel:

Elisse
Mar 9th, 2003, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the article, YSL!!! :D :wavey:

K&J fan
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:41 PM
...uhm, only two games against Chanda Rubin... :eek:

I guess Mauresmo is quite far away from number one...

Linnie
Mar 25th, 2003, 01:18 AM
I think everyone has a bad day once in a while......and Chanda's certainly no pushover.