PDA

View Full Version : The ones that didn't make it.......

louloubelle
Mar 7th, 2003, 11:40 PM
TS's Aussie Junior thread gave me an idea to discuss the Aussie juniors that Tennis Aus ploughed a stack of money into but didn't quite make the grade.

There are many..... one notable one was Joanne Limmer.

92 Junior Australian Open winner over Davenport :eek: and won a round at the Aus open that year and then lost 7-5 to Kim Po in rnd 2. Big things were expected and then :wavey:
Joanne hurt her wrist because of the extreme grip on her forehand. She took months off remodelling the forehand to semi-western, then I think had trouble with her shoulder. She had to build up from the bottom and never got the results again. During this time, she did stack on a bit of weight too.

When she was young she seemed like a level headed, tennis focussed kind of girl and did look the goods. Later on... as is the case with alot of Aussie girls... a few bad points and they get very down on themselves.

The list is big.... you can start with the likes of Ellwood, Drake Brockmann ... then the Joanne Faulls.....

TS
Mar 8th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Yeah it's a shame about Limmer...I remember reading an interview with her and she said it was her dream to be no.1, and for a fleeting moment I thought...maybe :) ;) It's amazing what happens in juniors, and how their careers have gone in drastically different directions! Anyway, a few players I can think of...

Renee Reid would be one I guess! I think we all know her story! I remember watching her qualy match on TV at the adidas (then called something generic like Peters NSW Open) against Pitkowski I think? Or somebody that she lost too (mightve been Pitkowski!), anyway seemed like a failry big strong girl with quite a bit fo power, but absolutely no control pr self belief. Very bad body language from what I could gather...

Rochelle Rosenfield. Just turned 22, and I imagine is gone for good? A shame, especially with all her injuries etc...hard to believe she played ahead of Molik and Dokic in junior team events!

Anyone remember Melissa Beadman? I dont know if she was a big prospect or anything, but for some reason I remember her winning a few satellites/challengers in a row back in 96 or 97 (by reading Tennis OZ mag ;)) and thought that might be a name to watch! Any dirt on her?

Esther Knox. I remember watching some junior final on Channel 2 between 16 year olds Ellwood and Knox...Ellwood made a good career, but what happened to Knox?

Going back a few years now...Maja Avotins? She was a fairly big prospect I think in the early/mid 90's. Who remembers that name? I once read an article on her in the Oz Tennis mag and she retired very young to go do medicine I think...apparently she found life on the circuit too much, which is the case with most of them!

I guess in the last few months you could add a pair of 20 year olds to the list...Melissa Dowse and Jenny Belobrajdic who I believe have packed it in. Jenny wasn't as highly touted as Melissa, so she was never really expected to do much, but Melissa's retirement was quite a surprise...I always thought she had lots of unrealised talent....

Oh well, lots more to pick and choose from ;) Most of the players I mentioned, weren't really touted as the next big thing but definately showed some promise at some stage...I used to buy the tennis mag religiously as a kid and I remember all these names and reading stories on them...

Postcard
Mar 8th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Esther Knox went to the University of California, then the University of Georgia (where she was, I think, a member of the 1999-2000 NCAA Div 1 championship team). And I think that she was an All-American (don't know if it was full or honourary or however it is described) at both Universities. One of her Lady Bulldogs (Georgia) team-mates was Aarthi Venkatesan.

http://georgiadogs.ocsn.com/tennis_womens/history/index.shtml

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/051100/dog_0511000051.shtml

AUSBOY
Mar 8th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Ellwood had a reasonable career even if it was cut short, she was ranked in the top 60 for a while, and spent a good year and a half in the top 100!

Players like Melanie Clayton, Renee Reid, all the Cowan girls, Dowse, Rosenfield, Belobradjic, Grahame (most likely retired) Maja Avotins, Limmer, Drake Brockman, Kylie Hunt, Gail Biggs, the list could go on!

bluepastures
Mar 9th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Are Emily Hewson and Marinela Antonic still playing? I saw them play at Frinton and Felixstowe in Summer 2001 but haven't seen them since.

TS
Mar 10th, 2003, 02:50 AM
Thanks Postcard for that link :)

Antonic played and lost in Bendigo & Warrnambool qualies, and I imagine she will play in Benalla this week...Emily Hewson actually played in a couple satellites in Thailand toward the end of last year (after returning from injury) but, I believe, injured herself again and hasn't been seen since...poor girl. Ditto Melanie Clayton who returned in the OZ challengers in October last year and hasn't played since. Those were her first events in 18 months or so. Either she re-injured herself or decided she didn't have the desire to go on...

louloubelle
Mar 10th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Ester Knox was embroiled in controversy a few years ago with AIS coach Ray Ruffels. Apparently he made her wear gald wrap to lose weight and used to make her parade around in her knickers to show everyone how overweight she was!!

Rosenfeld's dad was very anti-AIS and dragged Rochelle out very quickly, or maybe she didn't even have a stint with AIS at all. Basically dad wasn't happy because Tennis Aus wouldn't give Rochelle any funding or coaching because she was doing correspondance school instead of traditional schooling. He also was a bit radical and some doctors told him that Rochelle would have serious wrist injuries if she continued to hit a western forehand, so at a young age made her hit slice forehands.

Don't know much about Melissa Beadman TS, except her career has sort of mirrored Marielle Dittmans. Peaked in the edge of the 200's couldn't go further. Never touted as an upcomer tho.

I've posted a bit about Rennee Reid too! That Pitowski match I will never forget. Pitkowski was going mental at any close call and accusing the umpires of cheating. Rennee was a big girl and basically ran out of puff in the end. But Renee was able to beat Randirantefy and Hiraki the rounds b4.

Unfortunately Melissa Dowse never seemed to get any confidence back after her collarbone broke. Apparently was a homebody and didn't like travelling overseas either.

Kylie Hunt I think played a bit on the US College circuit. I saw her play a satelitte doubles in Bendigo, and she wasn't overally impressive.

Much money was ploughed into Ellwood, Drake Brockmann & Musgrave in their early days and I feel in a desperate attempt to prove the worth of the AIS. They were under the pump a bit at this time, for the lack of success of Australia mens and womens tennis. This was pre-Hewitt, Rafter, Pou success. They got coaching, support but really didn't have the firepower to achieve what the AIS/tennis Oz wanted..... they were predicting top 20 for Ellwood in particular, not top 100.

Joanne Faull was a disappointment. She was able to reach a 4th rnd at Wimbledon twice, French 4th rnd once however her game just feel apart. A back injury didn't help, however for someone who had much assistance as being the 'next big Australian thing' her forehand and 2nd serve were very average. However I think she feel into the syndrome of getting down on herself as soon as things got bad.

Anyone remember Natalie Frawley. I never saw her play, but I read an article from a sports psychologist about her. He used her as an example of when things got tight, alot of players start being way too agressive, in attempt to be not seen as choking! He encouraged her too choke (if you can believe it) and try and play her own game, instead of throwing matches away by over-agression. Not sure if it worked!!!

AUSBOY
Mar 10th, 2003, 10:59 PM
Melissa Beadman's career was nothing like Mireille Dittmanns!!!

Melissa retired at like 24-25 and did nothing other than win a $25K in the Sth Aust challenger where she got a very easy run.

Beadmann only got to about 230 in the world and that was for a year, most of the time her ranking was below 350!

Melissa's game wasnt as powerful nor did she had consistent results. Mireille has been top 250 now for 3 seasons and has had several wins at $50K level and beaten several top 100-150 players, something Melissa never did!

louloubelle
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:44 AM
Sorry I humbly take that comparison back... now realising the huge successes of Dittmans career. ;)

Either way for these girls like Melissa Beadman, Renee Reid they didn't (or in Marielle's Dittman's case are not going to) cut it on the tour despite sitting on the fringes. That's my simple comparison.

TS
Mar 11th, 2003, 05:12 AM
I remember Faull's run at Wimbledon in 89, but I don't know too much about her as I was a little bit too young to remember. She is roughly the same age as Rachel McQuillan though, right? To reach the final 16 of a slam 3 times, is an awesome achievement though...a pity she couldn't capitalise.

Can't say I remember Frawley...and that is horrible what happened to Knox :eek: I never heard of that, I actually thought Renee Reid was the recipient of that humiliating act!

Simon, calm down :p Dittmann has done OK to sit around 200-270 the last couple years, but she's hardly been a revelation, the many losses far outweigh the good wins (kind of like Musgrave). I admire her for still sticking at it and I do feel for her at constantly getting snubbed by TA.

TS
Mar 11th, 2003, 05:18 AM
Oh and speaking of Ellwood...I could never see top 20 potential in her, were they serious? I really liked Annabel but she had no where near enough power to make it that high. She did great to get to no.57 or whatever it was after reaching the Japan Open SF in 1997. I do feel however, that many people relied on that result too heavily and acted like it was the second coming...she did OK to reach the 3rd round at Aus Open the following summer and held her own in one match at the Hopman Cup but after that she just kind of faded away, I guess a mixture of pressure, and injuries....I actually believe she was playing pretty good before she retired and if the desire was there she could have made another crack at it. She was hitting the ball much harder and a lot cleaner towardsthe end of her career, than when she was 18-20 years old.

AUSBOY
Mar 11th, 2003, 06:53 AM
LOL, I know MIREILLE, not Marielle, is no revelation! I just think its great that she has stuck it out through financial hardships chasing her dream. 14 years battling the challenger/satellite circuit before reaching the top 200 says a lot! Last year she qualified with her ranking to play 3 Grand Slam Qualifying and won matches at Wimbeldon and the Australian Open and also got direct entry into the main draw of a WTA event.

You have to admire her, sure she is unlikely to crack the top 175 but she's done better than Renne Reid and Melissa Beadmann combined. If you want to liken her to anyone, well actually I cant think of another Aussie to liken her against. Never known any other Top 200 Aussie not to have played at least 1 Main Draw Grand Slam. Probably Amanda Grahame is the closest, take out her semi final at Canberra and their career achievements are about the same.

louloubelle
Mar 11th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Who can't admire someone who sticks with it. Obviously she loves her tennis and well her job involves travel, keeping fit and doing something she really enjoys... not many people can say that!

Mirielle (yes not Marielle - but I thought that sounded sexier... like Mariel Heslop instead of Muriel Heslop ;) ) hopefully can push towards 200 again, surely playing over 30 odd tournies a year must help!

Actually can't think of an Aussie in the top 200 over the 80's-90's who hasn't received a w/c into the Oz Open. Well it took sometime into the 90's b4 the draws got any depth.
Battlers over the 80-90's like Tracey Morton, Alison Scott, Louise Stacey, Sally McCann who have sat around 200ish, had very average tennis games (defintiely never major stars in the making), but still got wildcards. Maybe Maz has slighted someone.

I can remember John Newcombe saying when Louise Stacey was 12, that she was the best prospect we've had for years!!!

Joanne Faull was of similar age to Rachel Mc and they were junior rivals. As like Rachel they impressed in their early days due to an all-round talent and an eagerness that players have when they first hit the tour.
As this eagerness wains then the players natural talent comes into question and basically Joanne had some glaring weaknesses that was her downfall. However she was 1 set away from facing Navratilova in 88/89?? so it was a pity she couldn't build on the start she had.

The top 10 touting of Ellwood was from commentators like John Alexander, who I fell have no clue at times. On channel 7 once Rennae Stubbs was interviewed (I think b4 a Fed Cup tie) and made mention of the lack of funding & coaching given to the Aussie girls. JA then strongly disagreed with her and suddenley the interviewed ended without Rennae replying. I wonder if Rennae decided to pull the plug on JA :confused: :D Then to soften up things he said that the AIS had some definite top 10 prospects in Ellwood and Drake Brockmann and were turning things around in the women's scene. Yeah right :rolleyes:

louloubelle
Aug 18th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Thought Id revive this one, after posting about Adamczak. I just can't believe how much the injury factor has curtailed many Aussie junior careers. Does this show that many of our juniors aren't strong enough for the rigours of tour tennis???

Some off the top of my head are (there's probably more):

Melanie Clayton
Adamczak
Jaslyn Hewitt
Christina H

and then from the past...... all off the tour for a large slab of time....

Joanne Faull - chronic back problems
Janine Thompson - knee, elbow
Kate McDonald - foot
Jenny Byrne, Kirrilly Sharpe - knee

Injuries are part of the game, but so is the ability to recover from them. Every player has injuries but the dedicated ones always seem to get back on track.

This could be due to lack of the right support at the time, bad advice or simply the player's body not strong enough to cope... Either way could be a reason for a lack of success over the years.

broncosven
Aug 18th, 2003, 10:17 AM
too much pressure is out on the top jniors

or lack of success (escpecially in female) force TA to push our younger girls harder and some to hard and eventually break down

a few more to the list

Watson - coming back
Setuloski - not sure
Kriz - comming back
Adamsak - coming back (as we know)
dowse - retired
graheme - retired (heard she might come back)

alot of those girls were to be our future and what happened . . . . .

AUSBOY
Aug 19th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Beti Sekulowski is back in Melbourne, she played State Grade Pennant and beat a no-name 6-2 6-4 so she's obviously reasonably healthy.

She probably wont play before the Aust $25K Challengers now

Fantastic
Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:19 PM
Marinela will be happy to see her name mentioned in this thread. I'll go tell her. :)

How about Kristin Godridge, the feisty bunny of Traralgon? I remember reading that a 'Kristin Godridge' played Fed Cup for Hong Kong this year, but it could've been a different girl. Kristin was Top 50 for a year though, so maybe she kind of "made it".

AUSBOY
Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:56 PM
Marinela will be happy to see her name mentioned in this thread. I'll go tell her. :)

How about Kristin Godridge, the feisty bunny of Traralgon? I remember reading that a 'Kristin Godridge' played Fed Cup for Hong Kong this year, but it could've been a different girl. Kristin was Top 50 for a year though, so maybe she kind of "made it".

It was the same Kristin Godridge that played for Hong Kong this year, the birthdate was verified, she's 31 now! Also did Kristin ever get into the top 50???

I cant recall her ranked ever getting inside the top 80! maybe she did as a teenager right at the start of her career as she reached the quarter final of her first WTA event in brisbane in 1990

Fantastic
Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I think she made the Top 50. I was pretty sure until now. LOL. She had a good Wimbledon in 1991 where she made the 3rd round and lost to Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere. That and some good results in Australian and Asian tournaments took her if not into, then close to the Top 50 for a while.

So why was she playing for Hong Kong? There must be an interesting story behind that.

Mateo Mathieu
Aug 24th, 2003, 05:37 AM
[I didn't know that Todd and Renee are related!]
You didn't know they're related? :o

TS
Aug 24th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Actually Fantastic, Kristin BEAT Manuela :o Obviously a career highlight for her!

As for the Hong Kong thing...apparently her husband is from Hong Kong? :confused: Can't exactly remember the details...

Fantastic
Aug 25th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Actually Fantastic, Kristin BEAT Manuela

Aw, yeah. She did too (Duh, Fred! @ Fantastic). I must be thinking of Arantxa that she lost to. Hope I'm correct this time! *embarrassed LOL* :o ;)

louloubelle
Aug 26th, 2003, 12:57 AM
Aw, yeah. She did too (Duh, Fred! @ Fantastic). I must be thinking of Arantxa that she lost to. Hope I'm correct this time! *embarrassed LOL* :o ;)

It was Gaby Sabatini she lost too!

Fantastic
Aug 26th, 2003, 02:55 PM
It was Gaby Sabatini she lost too!

OMG! LOL! Are you absolutely sure!? I'm covering my face and groaning in pure and utter shame right now. *embarrassed ROTFLMAO* (Duh, Fred! :rolleyes: :o :D)

louloubelle
Aug 27th, 2003, 01:48 AM
Yes you should be ashamed of yourself getting such a critically important world threatening statistic incorrect :p ;)

I remember it was against Gaby because b4 the match Kristin was saying how she was going to jump all over Gaby's 'weak' 2nd serve - instead on the outer court she was hitting it near the back fence.... mainly because she's only 5ft tall! :)

Aussie_Kim
Aug 30th, 2003, 07:29 AM
You didn't know they're related? :o

I didn't know they were related either??? How are they related and u r talking about Stubbs and Todd W aren't u NOT Todd Reid??
I'm confused now

Fantastic
Aug 30th, 2003, 03:23 PM
No, no, no, Aussie_Kim. :o ;) LOL.

Todd Reid and Renee Reid are brother and sister. :)

louloubelle
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Thought Id re-live this good thread from a few years back. Basically there is probably add a few new names to this list.

Olivia Lukasewicz - where has she gone??
Dani Dominikovic - once touted as something but doesn't play either :confused:
Jade Hopper - God she was plastered across the newspapers at age 8 to be the next phenom - what age would she be now. Is she still playing??
Jaslyn Hewitt - the newspapers made comparisons to her brother, but obviously they didn't see her play ;)
Adriana Szili - my god probably the worst of the lot in that she actually showed something a few years back and then went totally downhill. I was so shocked to see someone once touted as talented and a top player, to push the ball back down the middle and hope that the opponent would miss. No power what-so-ever!

TS
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Wow this thread is over 3 years old! Great thread though, cheers for reviving. It's funny reading back what I wrote 3+ years ago.

Would we have thought 3 years ago that Mirielle would still be sticking it out? Good on her :)

I think Dani is playing Auntie dearest. She'll be back though, so perhaps won't take membership in this thread for another couple years - I daresay 'ditto' to Olivia.

Adriana Szili is certainly a card holder of this group now. My goodness, it's almost comical to think how it all went so wrong and the wildcards just kept coming for no reason whatsoever. I always liked her personality so I hope she's happy in her post tennis life. Always seemed like a nice easy going kid.

broncosven
Jul 8th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Geez . . . all those names bring back memories

Dani D had her name down for some challengers in US and Japan but never showed up . .
Hewitt i remember was injured and maybe she couldnt be bothered trying again ??
I sure hope Olivia does come back again . . . For now she is remembered for all the wrong reasons (Fed Cup and Henin Loss)

I Guess another name is Lauren Cheung . . . .

But Szili needs to be the boss

Rising Sun
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:15 AM
After a promising start to 2005, Lauren went downhill after having appendicitis... She was really injury prone and I assume she must have gone to uni. I really hope she makes a return some day... :sad:

Does anybody know what happened to Natalie Tanevska? :confused:

ozfan44
Jul 9th, 2006, 11:38 AM
what a great read!

poor drake-brockman she was nearly top 100 and one of the best juniors at her time and won ao juniors singles!

from what i have heard / read she over did it and pushed herself way way way too hard and basically burnt out!

she has since gone back to uni and studied law! also plays Pennants in perth every now and then!

scottsue
Nov 12th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I am thinking about Stephanie Faulkner, Jodie Linn, Wendy Frazer, Lisa Oneill, Jackie Masters, Kim Staunton, Michelle Turk, Mary Sawyer...the list goes on.

louloubelle
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:38 AM
God a few names from the past there scottsue. Some familiar some not....
Lisa O'Neill was handy enough to reach the 3rd rnd of the Aus Open one year. I can remember Sean saying she was a bit of a bitch. Her greatest cred was being the daughter of Jan Lehane, 4 times Aussie finalist, highly regarded baseliner of her time and ranked the top 10 (even though rankings were unofficial in the 60's). If it wasn't for Margaret Court's dominance she would've been a slam winner. Unfortunately Lisa didn't have her talent and peaker around 140-160 odd.
I think Faulkner peaked around the 200's in the early 80's. Just recall her name on the ranking list many years ago.
Wendy Fraser and Michelle Turk were juniors in the Provis, Field, Jaggard times if I remember rightly. I think Fraser had some wraps but did nothing. Can't recall much about Turk - I think she was overshadowed in the junior days by the others.
What Australia was great for was the journey women. Alison Scott from ACT, sat around the 200's for a while and a product of the Wendy Turnbull mode of net rushing and volleying skills. KA Guse was another in that mould, and did well enough to be a top 100 player for a few years. Belinda Remilton was another who wrote a story for Aus Tennis mag one year about her trip around Europe in a VW combi van in the early 80's. She sat in the top 200 for a little while and I remember thinking how non-eventful that was. Nowdays we rejoice at such an effort!!!!

scottsue
Nov 15th, 2007, 12:19 PM
You are on a roll with these posts louloubelle! Fantastic! I guess I was thinking about those we could have had that should have been great. I remember thinking that Sue Leo was going to be a world beater. Debbie Freeman won Wimbledon Juniors and then nothing. Bernadette Randall looked big and strong but the police force got her. Jenny Byrne nearly got there. Kristin Godridge, now living with me here in Hong Kong, beat Maleeva once at Wimbledon and did well in Brisbane and then again nothing.
TA must just cringe at the money that has been spent on many of these.

louloubelle
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Freeman just came out of nowhere if I remember rightly, to win that junior crown. God and I think the likes of Zina Garrison was in that junior draw!

As pointed out. Wheelz is playing with AIS coach Kylie Moulds this week and they are in the doubles semis. Another top junior of Australia as well.

scottsue
Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:13 AM
What about Lisa Damelio and Adriana Szili? Are they both gone too?

louloubelle
Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:34 AM
I think Szili is studying. She played part-time up until early this year I think but didn't enter any 25k's. So Id expect she's retired fully.

SeanyQ
Dec 2nd, 2007, 01:18 AM
What about Lisa Damelio and Adriana Szili? Are they both gone too?

Lisa's now a P.E teacher in Melbourne....

scottsue
Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
Has anyone checked out the ranking lists lately in the WTA website. I don't think I have ever seen fewer Australians with a ranking.

TS
Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:44 AM
The last few weeks saw several of the girls drop off the rankings. This is because of the new rules, where no points are given at all in the qualifying rounds of challenger tournaments. Gone are the days when we had 50 girls ranked, as realistically we'll struggle to have 30 ranked players soon. A lot of our girls will now need to rely on wildcards into main draws to secure a WTA ranking. The rest will just continue to languish in qualies wth no reward.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
Hori :sad:

scottsue
Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:53 AM
Hori :sad:

Gone! Simply could not afford to continue even after taking out a bank loan this year. She was beating and better than Stosur at one stage. It shits me that TA can let someone like that go without a whimper!

TS
Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
It all went pear shaped for Hori about 5 years ago when she suffered a major knee injury. Before that injury she was posting some impressive results and was knocking on the door of the top 300. When she returned she was never the same player...:sad:

It's disappointing she decided not to carry on in doubles, as she was a natural doubles player in my opinion.

ozfan44
Dec 3rd, 2007, 03:01 AM
It all went pear shaped for Hori about 5 years ago when she suffered a major knee injury. Before that injury she was posting some impressive results and was knocking on the door of the top 300. When she returned she was never the same player...:sad:

It's disappointing she decided not to carry on in doubles, as she was a natural doubles player in my opinion.

Very sad...such a talented player!! :sad:

scottsue
Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM
I dont think she wanted to become simply a doubles specialist. She is studying online a psychology course whilst working as a receptionist. She was waitressing for a while there.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 16th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Whatever happened to Beti Sekulovski?

scottsue
Dec 16th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I think she was interested in pursuing her musical career. She did sing in a few Melbourne bars I recall.

louloubelle
Dec 16th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Wow, didn't know that about Beti!!! Certainly the injuries hampered her alot.

TS
Dec 16th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I think Beti retired last year after another injury. It's a shame, she was quite talented.

Actually, a lot of the 1983 girls under-achieved. I think that many of the girls born this year were (some still are) very good talents: Adamczak, Sekulovski, Breadmore, Hewitt, Kriz, Horiatopoulos, and let's not forget Dokic lol. A good birth year for AusTennis but a shame that injuries ruined many of their careers.

azza
Dec 20th, 2007, 10:24 AM
not sure if anyone posted but Tanevska was pretty alright aye and Joel Kerley ?

scottsue
Dec 20th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Tanevska was a great looking gal too! Mark Kimmich!

scottsue
Jan 7th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Where is Adriana Szili?

bello
Jan 14th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I think the most notable have definitely been Limmer, Ellwood and Drake-Brockman (and i'd also maybe add Lisa McShea and Trudi Musgrave), all the others did not anywhere not show as much potential as them.. I definitely saw the first three as top 20-30 potential.
I have met Limmer a couple of times at her Tennis shop at Burondoora Tennis Centre and the 1st time I met her I was quite young (though she was already well out of tennis). I went up to her and started going on about 'Oh my god youre Joanne Limmer, you beat Lindsay Davenport at the 1992 Aus Open juniors' - she was so incredibly embarressed that she literally hid and would not speak to me. I have never seen someone so embarresed in my life.
Ive met Maija Avotins quite a few times also, when I was even younger, she chose to stop participating on the pr tour as she did not want that lifestyle. When i was a kid she had recently left the tour and she took some coaching sessions at my local tennis club when the club coach was ill. I was so happy and felt like I was hitting with a famous tennis player!! lol

scottsue
Jan 14th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Nice reporting Bello!

louloubelle
Jan 15th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I think the most notable have definitely been Limmer, Ellwood and Drake-Brockman (and i'd also maybe add Lisa McShea and Trudi Musgrave), all the others did not anywhere not show as much potential as them.. I definitely saw the first three as top 20-30 potential.
I have met Limmer a couple of times at her Tennis shop at Burondoora Tennis Centre and the 1st time I met her I was quite young (though she was already well out of tennis). I went up to her and started going on about 'Oh my god youre Joanne Limmer, you beat Lindsay Davenport at the 1992 Aus Open juniors' - she was so incredibly embarressed that she literally hid and would not speak to me. I have never seen someone so embarresed in my life.

Thanks for the story Bello!
Not sure about the potential for Ellwood and Drake-Brockmann (both very slight girls who didn't have much power) but I thought Limmer definitely had top 20 potential. She cracked a good ball and was aggressive. Pity because a serious wrist injury plagued her when she was young and she lost a bit of conditioning after that.

SeanyQ
Jan 15th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the story Bello!
Not sure about the potential for Ellwood and Drake-Brockmann (both very slight girls who didn't have much power) but I thought Limmer definitely had top 20 potential. She cracked a good ball and was aggressive. Pity because a serious wrist injury plagued her when she was young and she lost a bit of conditioning after that.

I agree, out of any of the Aussies I can remember since the late 80's, Limmer's always been the one who stands out as a should be top 20 player who never got anywhere near what her talent deserved.