PDA

View Full Version : why?

tenn_ace
Mar 6th, 2003, 01:57 AM
Why is Dinara losing one after another three-setter? Why is she losing matches in which she is killing (or close to it) her opponents in the first set?

does she lack what it takes to be a top 10 (a killer instinct)? or is she just too young?

she was up her whole match against Chladkova (3-0 in the final set) and yet lost again... this is so dissapointing :( :fiery:

Leena
Mar 6th, 2003, 02:03 AM
I wouldn't worry... she's still young. We know she will be great in time. :)

Yak
Mar 6th, 2003, 02:16 AM
Yeah, relax! She's just 16! Give her another year or two and she will be killing everyone!

Look at Elena B two years ago! She was where Dinara is right now. Losing very close matches. And now look at where she is!

Gowza
Mar 6th, 2003, 02:18 AM
some players can't play at that high level for more than one set. young players have this trouble when they are in transition.

i am getting impatient with the russians.

i expected bovina, kuznetsova, zvonareva, sharapova, safina and petrova to all do a whole lot better this year.

petrova is having a hard time coming back from injury which i will consider probably until the end of this season because it can take that long to get confidence and the match play to do well.

bovina i'm giving time because her rise was so rapid her body didn't get a chance to learn how to recover after tough or big matches.

the others have just lost the plot. they are young but so far they are having worse years than last year and last.

Leena
Mar 6th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Exactly... Dinara Safina of 2002, was exactly the same as Elena Bovina of 2000. Give her time.

auntie janie
Mar 6th, 2003, 12:14 PM
The Safina - Early Bovina comparison is an excellent one! Don't forget, most of the Russians we hear so much about about now were still playing Juniors at Dinara's age. I am still very optimistic about her future. I don't mean the distant future; even later this year, I expect she will show you more of her promise. :)

Good luck, Dinara! Don't let it get you down! :kiss:

ys
Mar 6th, 2003, 03:19 PM
I don't buy any explanations for Safina or Sharapova because of "ineperience" and being young, and lack of consistency because of that. At their age Anna was already making semis of Wimbledon, and was in the middle of her 18-month streak of not losing to any player ranked below 15. Players like Chladkova or Reeves? Anna-97 would give them 3 games maximum..
But then, who says that Sharapova or Safina are anywhere close to Kournikova in terms of talent? That's about us probably adjust our expectations closer to reality.. Sharapova does not want to be the second Anna.. She'd better want it. I think that in tennis she might achieve far less than Anna did.

vaiva
Mar 6th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Really, do not forget that Dinara is only 16 and she has played only a handful of matches on the senior tour. So she has a lot learning to do.

In one of her interviews she was asked what was the difference between the junior and the senior tour. Dinara answered that she was amazed during US Open that Rita Grande, being a set and a break down, was still trying to break her serve and get back into the match. In juniors, she said, girls usually give up at this stage and often it is enough to win just one set and you know that a second one will be an easy ride home.

Give her some time to mature. Be patient.

Good luck, Dinara! We love you no matter what :)

tenn_ace
Mar 6th, 2003, 04:22 PM
I'm with ys. Totally.

LeonHart
Mar 7th, 2003, 02:36 AM
Give them time, its what makes being a fan so fun :D

Leena
Mar 7th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Everyone matures differently... it's unfair to compare girls at such a young age.

King Aaron
Mar 8th, 2003, 01:47 PM
It's hard to say why exactly but I think it's because of all the things mentioned in the posts above.

ys
Mar 19th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Getting crushed in the last set is becoming a Sharapova's trademark.. I have now serious doubt that this girl is even for real in this sport.. I mean, bageled by Reeves, then 6:1 in the second set to Callens. Perhaps, another Ashley in making...

tenn_ace
May 27th, 2003, 01:46 AM
o'k... sorry for bringing this thread up to life...

Dinara and Maria lost again...

Dinara's stats in this match are pathetic...

first serve - 54%
double faults - 8

and all for what??? for winning only 55% of the first serve

I serve better on my days off :mad:

ue - 46 in 16 games she played, i.e. on average she made almost 3ue in each game or let Nastya to win 71% of all points by basically giving them away :rolleyes:

5 winners :confused: o'k, I agree it's tough to hit winners on dirt, but 5 in the whole match :rolleyes: :fiery:

I understand that she lost to a higher ranked player, who is currently better... but not all losses are equal. I think this one was BAD! :o

when will Dinara start playing again at her potential? (given that she wasn't overrated to begin with)

the cat
May 27th, 2003, 01:53 AM
Dinara has dissapointed big time! But there is still time for her to play better this year. The same goes for Maria.

kournikovafan13
May 27th, 2003, 02:18 AM
o'k... sorry for bringing this thread up to life...

Dinara and Maria lost again...

Dinara's stats in this match are pathetic...

first serve - 54%
double faults - 8

and all for what??? for winning only 55% of the first serve

I serve better on my days off :mad:

ue - 46 in 16 games she played, i.e. on average she made almost 3ue in each game or let Nastya to win 71% of all points by basically giving them away :rolleyes:

5 winners :confused: o'k, I agree it's tough to hit winners on dirt, but 5 in the whole match :rolleyes: :fiery:

I understand that she lost to a higher ranked player, who is currently better... but not all losses are equal. I think this one was BAD! :o

when will Dinara start playing again at her potential? (given that she wasn't overrated to begin with)

1. The Roland Garros site includes all forced errors as unforced errors, which is why the count is so high, for all matches.

2. According to reports, Nastya played very well and got back a lot of balls as well as mixing up the pace often, which would obviously induce errors from Dinara.

3. Dinara is very talented and her time will come. :)

BRUNA!!
May 27th, 2003, 02:29 AM
Dinara is finished.

She should retire now.