PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the Best of the Rest Tournament? Here are my picks

Asmus
Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:50 PM
Here are my picks, in order of their probability to win:

1. Kim Clijsters WHY: She has established herself as a worthy #3 and has rarely lost to players not named Williams since last year's US Open, and has won four titles in the meantime. She has also done well in Indian Wells before, reaching the final in 2001. WHY NOT: In two of her last three losses, Kim has not been very mentally tough. Can she handle the pressure of being the top seed and heavy favourite? My odds: even

2. Lindsay Davenport WHY: She's back in her favourite conditions, on California hardcourt (she has won eight titles in California). A two-time winner in Indian Wells, she will be the crowd favourite. And despite her loss in Scottsdale (for which she was ill), she has mostly regained her form from before her injury...WHY NOT: Her loss in Scottsdale still indicates that she is not in the great form that won her three majors without losing a set. She has also lost three of her last four meetings with Clijsters. My odds: 3-1

3. Jennifer Capriati WHY: For the first time in nearly a year, Capriati is healthy, fit and free from pressure of being the "Great White Hope". Last time she was in this position, she won a major. She has also not played much this year and should be fresh. WHY NOT: Can she conquer the demons that kept her away from Indian Wells for so long? She is also not as confident as she was a year ago. She also does not want to face Davenport or Mauresmo. My odds: 7-2

4. Amelie Mauresmo WHY: Last summer she established herself as a force to be reckoned with, defeating three of this tournament's top four seeds en route to a title in Montreal and a semifinal finish at the US Open. She has also returned from injury more mentally tough than ever, and she played well in Paris before running into a red-hot Serena. Neither Capriati nor Clijsters want to see her anywhere near their part of the draw. WHY NOT: The question is whether or not Amelie is healthy, after retiring from her semifinal match in Dubai. And even if she is, has she been healthy for long enough to adequately prepare? My odds: 5-1

5. Monica Seles WHY: A winner in Indian Wells more than ten years ago, Monica is always a force to contend with, and without anyone named Williams or Hingis in the draw, her chances are better than ever. WHY NOT: She still hasn't beaten any healthy players ranked in the top ten for nearly a year, and she will probably have to do that a couple times to win here. Her record against Davenport is almost as bad as it is against the Williamses, and the other players around the top are catching up to her as well, and are not intimidated by her, as evidenced in her loss to Henin in Dubai. My odds: 8-1

6. Daniela Hantuchova WHY: Daniela proved that her breakthrough win here last year was no fluke by reaching the top five and having consistent results. If she plays up to her potential, she has a great chance. WHY NOT: She still hasn't won any titles since Indian Wells, nor has she recorded wins over some of the top players at this tournament (ie Davenport, Clijsters, Capriati, Seles). This is the place where she can do it, but she also has the pressure to defend, and she has also not played very well this year. My odds: 10-1

7. Jelena Dokic WHY: She has proven that she can both win big titles and beat top players not named Williams, and has wins over most of the favourites here. If she plays as well as she did last summer on the North American hardcourts and has a bit of luck, she has a good chance to go far. WHY NOT: Her play this year has been absolutely abysmal. With her current form, she will be lucky to hold her seed. Even at her best, she is beatable. My odds: 15-1

8. Chanda Rubin WHY: Chanda has played well since coming back from injury nearly a year ago, and has won titles and beaten top players. WHY NOT: She lost early in Scottsdale, hasn't been too healthy lately and has terrible records against all of the players mentioned above. My odds: 20-1

9. Anastasia Myskina WHY: She has continued her stellar play from last year by reaching the quarters in Australia, winning in Doha and cracking the top ten. She has also won titles and beaten some top players. WHY NOT: She still hasn't beaten many top players and has yet to prove herself as a force to be reckoned with at big tournaments. Has never beaten many of the favourites. My odds: 25-1

Dark Horses: Eleni Daniilidou and Elena Bovina: these future top ten players could be this year's Hantuchova. Since they're so unproven in big tournaments, I give 12-1 odds that one of them will win.

Could Pull Off An Upset (especially if they face Dokic) But That's About It: Ai Sugiyama (who must be exhausted), Meghann Shaughnessy, Alexandra Stevenson, Nathalie Dechy, Lisa Raymond

Asmus
Mar 4th, 2003, 02:12 AM
Any thoughts? :fiery: