PDA

View Full Version : Indian Wells:March 3-16

Pages : [1] 2

Pinkie
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:48 AM
Figured we could do with a thread for Kim's next tournament...

http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/

Women's main draw starts March 5

Last year, Kim lost in the second round from Dechy

Elleke
Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:07 AM
Good Luck Kim :bounce:
so Kim is seeded first? :D I hope she gets a good draw!

Come-on-kim
Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:43 AM
Come On Kim

Bigkimfan
Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:43 AM
GO KIM!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:00 AM
I hope Kim is in the same half as Sugiyama so she can kick her ass this time!!! :bounce:

Primula
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:18 AM
I hope Kim is in the same half as Sugiyama so she can kick her ass this time!!! :bounce:

That's not nice ! ;) Hehe !!

Bigkimfan
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:23 AM
I know, but I'm soooo mad because Kim should've won that match! :sad:

Elleke
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:34 AM
yeah, but she made too many UE;so she didn't deserve it..
but new tournament, new chances :D

per4ever
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:41 AM
yeah, but she made too many UE;so she didn't deserve it..
but new tournament, new chances :D
I wonder what you all think of Kim's chances here :) I know you're all hardcore Kim fans..but what do you think?

I don't expect much from Kim in IW really, think she looks soo incredibly tired in Scottsdale. She already played 34 matches this year, and now she has to play a whole month with 2 tier I's in a row!!!

Do you think it was a bad decision to play scottsdale? Imo it was a very bad decision, since she has to play IW and Miami too.

Stefke
Mar 3rd, 2003, 11:21 AM
out in 2end round = no points to defend = she can only win points!!:D
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

duck
Mar 3rd, 2003, 12:21 PM
I wonder what you all think of Kim's chances here :) I know you're all hardcore Kim fans..but what do you think?

I don't expect much from Kim in IW really, think she looks soo incredibly tired in Scottsdale. She already played 34 matches this year, and now she has to play a whole month with 2 tier I's in a row!!!

Do you think it was a bad decision to play scottsdale? Imo it was a very bad decision, since she has to play IW and Miami too.

Hadn't thought of it like that. Esp as she is going so deep into every tournament now in singles and doubles. Pre-Scottsdale I had high hopes but now I am going one match at a time and at no moment will I expect her to win.
Whether it was a bad decision or not, it's done now and can't be helped. Conditions at Scottsdale were not good in terms of planning rests and breaks. We can just hope that things improve. I saw matches of hers from Sydney, Antwerp and Scottsdale and she is nowhere near the standard of Sydney right now. It's there in flashes but I ma not optimistic for IW either.

Pinkie
Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:24 PM
Hadn't thought of it like that. Esp as she is going so deep into every tournament now in singles and doubles. Pre-Scottsdale I had high hopes but now I am going one match at a time and at no moment will I expect her to win.
Whether it was a bad decision or not, it's done now and can't be helped. Conditions at Scottsdale were not good in terms of planning rests and breaks. We can just hope that things improve. I saw matches of hers from Sydney, Antwerp and Scottsdale and she is nowhere near the standard of Sydney right now. It's there in flashes but I ma not optimistic for IW either.

On the other hand, she likes to play a lot of tennis. Look at her run at the end of the year. She might be tired, or she just didn't find her right tennis this week in Scottsdale. She won't have to play her first match until this weekend, I think, so she does have quite a few days off.

Ŗcoene
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:03 PM
Good luck Kim.

I think the court in Scottsdale wasn't fast at all, do you agree? That wasn't an advantage for Kim.

Is it a faster court in IW?

Come-on-kim
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:12 PM

Well, I don't really now!

Now, she has some days to rest as she had a first round bye in Indian Wells! BTW, the only 3 sets matches she had were Sydney (two 3-setter in doubles), Australian Open (one 3-setter against Serena) and Scottdale (one 3-setter against Ai)!

Her doubles matches were with loads of 6-0's and 6-1's lately!!

Between Indian Wells and Miami she'll get some free days too!!

After Miami, she won't play before Fed Cup, so she'll have a month to rest!

Hawk
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:41 PM
I'm honestly not sure what to expect at IW. Her level of play has clearly dropped off since the beginning of the season and IW has alot of top players that can do damage. I would be pleasently surprised if she wins..but i'm not expecting her too.

Wimanna
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:41 PM
OK, Kim played not her best match yesterday, but she lost to a great playing Sugiyama. With allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the respect for Ai (boy, what she did yesterday was really ~> :eek: ) , but Kim only lost 3-6 7-5 6-4...and was pretty close to win this one. See that in a positive way ;)

So, I think Kim's second round match will be on saturday or sunday...so she can rest a little. I'll wait till the first couple of matches (hopes she comes through) and watch the scorelines...if she can win easily, she can go far in the tournament once again ;)

per4ever
Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:02 PM
I watched the match live...Ai played really well..but nothing special!!! She also made lots of errors (certainly in first set). I really wouldn't say she played great.

Hawk
Mar 4th, 2003, 03:22 AM
The draw is out :)

Kim Clijsters(1) vs bye
Jill Craybas vs Fabiola Zuluaga
Tatiana Golovin vs Gisela Dulko
bye vs Francesca Schiavone(31)

Silvia Farina-Elia(17) vs bye
Alina Jidkova vs Q
Rita Grande vs Q
Nathalie Dechy(15) vs bye

Magdalena Maleeva(10) vs bye
Babsi Schett vs Stephanie Cohen-Aloro
Shuai Peng vs Q
Ai Sugiyama(21) vs bye

Janette Husarova(32) vs bye
Jelena Kostanic vs Cristina Torrens-Valero
Henrieta Nagyova vs Q
Chanda Rubin(8) vs bye

Daniela Hantuchova(3) vs bye
Jelena Jankovic vs Q
Asa Svensson vs Els Callens
Katarina Srebotnik(27) vs bye

Lisa Raymond(18) vs bye
Silvija Talaja vs Joanette Kruger
Marta Marrero vs Klara Koukalova
Amanda Coetzer(16) vs bye

Anna Pistolesi(11) vs bye
Cara Black vs Sarah Taylor
Emanuelle Gagliardi vs Mirjana Lucic
Tatiana Panova(19) vs bye

Oonchita Martinez (26) vs bye
Q vs Virginie Razzano
Barbara Rittner vs Q
Jelena Dokic (6) vs bye

Amelie Mauresmo(5) vs bye
Martina Muller vs Myriam Casanova
Shinobu Asagoe vs Iroda Tulyaganova
bye vs Tamarine Tanasugarn(29)

Clarisa Fernandez(24) vs bye
Magui Serna vs Emilie Loit
Angelique Widjaja vs Q
Patty Schnyder(9) vs bye

Elena Bovina (13) vs bye
Q vs Yoon Jeong Cho
Maria Sharapova vs Q
Paola SUarez (20) vs bye

Elena Likhovtseva (25) vs bye
Meilen Tu vs Agelika Roesch
Patricia Warstuch vs Daja Bedanova
Lindsay Davenport(4) vs bye

Anastasia Myskina (7) vs bye
Svetlana Kuznetsova vs Q
Vera Zvonareva vs Tatiana Poutchek
Iva Majoli (28) vs bye

Meghann Shaugnessy (23) vs bye
Bethanie Mattek vs Flavia Penetta
Stephanie Foretz vs Anca Barna
Eleni Daniilidou (12) vs bye

Elena Dementieva (14) vs bye
Tina Pisnik vs Iveta Benesova
Virginia Ruano-Pascual vs Marissa Irvin
Alexandra Stevenson (22) vs bye

Laura Granville (30) vs bye
Denisa Chadklova vs Dinara Safina
Adriana Serrz-Zanetti vs Q
Jennifer Capriati (2)

Looks like a nice draw for Kim again :) She's got Dani, Rubin and Dokic and avoids Davenport and Momo :D All in all I think it's very nice.

Elleke
Mar 4th, 2003, 08:10 AM
thanks! :)
good luck Kim!

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 4th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Goooo Kim!!!!!!!!!

I hope she meets Rubin in the Quarterfinal and not Ai again...

If so I think she got really great chances to reach the final with Davenport, Mauresmo and Capriati in the other half :)

Bigkimfan
Mar 4th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Great draw!!! Go Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

keta
Mar 4th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Q. Do you think that anything has changed for you as a result of this attack or your life particularly?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I've been very realistic with everything. You know, tennis, it's great to be able to make your hobby and to earn money out of what your hobby, what starts at your hobby. My mom has had cancer, my dad has had cancer. So I'm very positive in thinking there are more important things than just tennis.

September 11th thing just makes it clear I think to all the rest of the people in the world that there's more important things than just your job or just, yeah, your sports or whatever.

This is not IW this year related its actually form last year but i didnt know where to post it, My question....... What type of Cancer did Lei have and When?:o :sad: And Els had cancer aswell! :sad:

nicky
Mar 4th, 2003, 11:07 AM
My question....... What type of Cancer did Lei have and When?:o :sad: And Els had cancer aswell! :sad:

I believe Lei said he had had some sort of skin cancer; that's the reason he doesn't go to Australia with Kim, the sun burns too merciless for him overthere. I don't know when he had it, but it must have been quite a while ago.

I think Lei talked about it in the Humo interview which Ingrid is publishing in episodes...

Stefke
Mar 4th, 2003, 11:07 AM
I knew that Els had cancer but I didn't know that Lei did!:eek:

keta
Mar 4th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Thankz for the informaion, its relaly :sad: Thats Both Lei and Els have had Cancer! :sad:

Cilla
Mar 4th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Pretty reasonable draw :d Good Luck Kimeke :D

Stefke
Mar 4th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Yesterday I sent(?) an e-mail to canvas and asked if they aren't broadcasting Indian Wells cause it's a Master Series and they sent me an e-mail and said that there is only broadcasting if Kim is in the final:fiery::mad:!!!

Brαm
Mar 4th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Pretty reasonable draw :d Good Luck Kimeke :D
It's Kimmeke with 2 m's, Priscilla ;);)

per4ever
Mar 4th, 2003, 07:29 PM
Yesterday I sent(?) an e-mail to canvas and asked if they aren't broadcasting Indian Wells cause it's a Master Series and they sent me an e-mail and said that there is only broadcasting if Kim is in the final:fiery::mad:!!!
think it's pretty normal, since the field is weak again :)

Maxine
Mar 4th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Good Luck Kim! :bounce:

Cilla
Mar 5th, 2003, 12:09 AM
It's Kimmeke with 2 m's, Priscilla ;);)

Thanks Bram ;)

pcabenojar
Mar 5th, 2003, 04:44 AM
Doubles draw is out...Kim&Ai will play Capriati/Majoli in R1.

Doubles Draw:

1-Ruano-Pascual/Suarez vs. Neffa-de los Rios/Tu
Bedanova/Tulyaganova vs. Callens/Svensson
Schett/Wartusch vs. Marrero/Serna
Gagliardi/Mandula vs. 6-Hantuchova/Shaughnessy

3-Clijsters/Sugiyama vs. WC Capriati/Majoli
De Villiers/Jeyaseelan vs. Farina-Elia/Jidkova
Coetzer/Steck vs. Dementieva/Grande
Tarabini/Widjaja vs. 5-Husarova/Kuznetsova

7-Dokic/Petrova vs. Musgrave/Spears
Kostanic/Nagyova vs. Qualifiers
WC Irvin/Stevenson vs. Huber/Martinez
Dechy/Loit vs. 4-Bovina/Stubbs

8-Davenport/Raymond vs. Krizan/Srebotnik
Rittner/Vento-Kabchi vs. WC Myskina/Safina
Asagoe/Miyagi vs. Koulikovskaya/Poutchek
Lee/Prakusya vs. 2-Black/Likhovtseva

Elleke
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:11 AM
not an easy first round in doubles, but it is doable for them, they'e a strong team.. Good Luck Kim and Ai!

Aussie_Kim
Mar 5th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Even though I'm a Kim fan I was happy that Ai won Scotts cos she is a talented player. Also she's 27 & won only 4 singles WTA tournies & Kim's won 11 & she's only 19. It wasn't like she lost anything. She had no points 2 defend the same really with IW. If she can get 2 the semis I'll b happy cos shes picking up lotsa points. It's nice 4 her 2 win tournies but Kim's not 2 worried bout it so neither should her fans. She & Ai r good friends so I think she would b glad Ai won. It was a tight match & she is still playing good tennis. She seems pretty injury free @ the moment 2.

Anywaz that my say 4 the day

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
Go Kim Go Kim!

Bigkimfan
Mar 5th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Go Kim/Ai!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Kornelija
Mar 5th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Go GIRLS!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Mar 5th, 2003, 09:09 PM
When is Kim playing her 2nd round match???

Elleke
Mar 6th, 2003, 08:20 AM
tomorrow or so..
Kim and Ai have to play their doubles match yoday :)
GOOD LUCK GIRLS!!

Pinkie
Mar 7th, 2003, 03:41 AM
Here you go, my peeps, the order of play for Friday.

Order of play for Friday, March 7
Stadium start 10:00 AM
Marion Bartoli (FRA) vs Chanda Rubin (USA) [8]
Barbara Rittner (GER) vs Jelena Dokic (YUG) [6]
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) [3] vs Petra Mandula (HUN)
Kim Clijsters (BEL) [1] vs Fabiola Zuluaga (COL)
Lisa Raymond (USA) [18] vs Silvija Talaja (CRO)

pcabenojar
Mar 7th, 2003, 04:05 AM
Kim & Ai won their doubles match. :) Capriati/Majoli withdrew due to Majoli's injury. Here's the score:

Kim & Ai d. (LL) Martina Muller / Angelika Roesch (GER/GER) 64 60

~|Naomi|~
Mar 7th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Well done Kim & Ai :D If they do well here Kim an get her first top 10 doubles rank :bounce: :bounce:

Also Kim has played Zuluaga once previously and Kim won 6-1 6-1 in the orund of 16 in New HAven in 2000, so I hope we see another esult like that one, but Zuluaga will be tough as she has just one in Bogota and pushed Hantuchova in AO.

SO Good Luck Kimmie, you can do it :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hawk
Mar 7th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Anyone else a little nervous about how Kim's gonna play this tournament..I really want to have this first match out of the way..

Elleke
Mar 7th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Good Luck Kim! and already well done in doubles!
me2 Hawk!!

Kim_for_number_1
Mar 7th, 2003, 09:05 AM
damn, guys you're making me nervous... I really hope she wins this match, after that final last week I've had a bad feeling. Hope I'm wrong
anyway good luck kim!!!! and well done in doubles, shows that you're still in form :)

Lleykimmy1
Mar 7th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Good luck for you match Kim ! I'm sure you can win it !!

http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/belgique.gif :bounce: http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/belgique.gif :bounce: http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/belgique.gif :bounce:

Come-on-kim
Mar 7th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Come On Kim

Bigkimfan
Mar 7th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Go Kim!!!!!!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

kit
Mar 7th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Good luck Kim!Come on you can do it!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Come-on-kim
Mar 7th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Come On Kimmie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spiritfullfrog
Mar 7th, 2003, 10:51 PM
:bounce: GOOD LUCK KIM! :bounce:

Micky
Mar 8th, 2003, 12:50 AM
well done Kim :)
did any one watch the match?
how was kim playing?

~|Naomi|~
Mar 8th, 2003, 12:53 AM
Kimmie won 6-3 7-5 (was down 3-5) in the second I think she is going to have to pick it up for Schiavone in her next match(but Schiavone struggled 7-5 7-5 against Golovin :eek: )

So congrats Kim and good luck for round 3 (please play better ;) )

~|Naomi|~
Mar 8th, 2003, 12:55 AM
I didn't watch it but a friend I was chattin to on MSN was and he said she was up and down (inconsistent) good play cam in patches. And her serve wasn't as good as normal

He said she played good enough to win today but will need to pick it up as she keeps going in the tournie , so I hope she will

Hope this helps micky :D

Hawk
Mar 8th, 2003, 01:19 AM
ok..so that match didn't really make me feel any more confident about Kim's play :(

I suppose one good thing is that she stepped up at the end and finished it off when she was in danger of losing the second set.

Micky
Mar 8th, 2003, 03:28 AM
thanks guys, i was just watching the scores and i saw her go down a break i was a bit worried, so thanx again ;)

Hawk
Mar 8th, 2003, 04:03 AM
This is from the IW site following Kim's match. It was about Kim and Dani so I just left out the Dani part.

Top seed Kim Clijsters overcame a scare in the second set to defeat Colombian Fabiola Zuluaga 6-3, 7-5 and advance to the third round Friday. Clijsters, a finalist here in 2001, rallied from 3-5 down in the second set to win the final four games of the match.

ďThe whole match she served really well but itís at those moments [serving for the set] that you get nervous. If she plays that game too well then there may be nothing you can do, but I tried to not give her a lead in that game and to keep the pressure on.

ďThey [lower ranked players] arenít used to being in those situations. Itís definitely moments like that that you have to believe in yourself.Ē

From her run to the final in 2001 to her first-up loss to Nathalie Dechy last year when she was affected by a middle ear infection and a shoulder injury, Clijsters said that she came into the 2003 tournament with a fresh outlook.

ďThere are so many other tournaments during the year that I never think about what I did the year before when I come back to a tournament. But I love to play here and itís nice to be back. Last year I had a shoulder injury and I was just happy to play.

ďIím trying to work on my consistency Ė thatís where I struggled at the start of last year. Iím also trying to be as fit as possible and to get the best out of myself.Ē

Clijsters began the year by winning the Sydney title and had won 23 of her past 24 matches before falling to eventual champion Serena Williams in the semifinals of the Australian Open. Last week Clijsters reached the Scottsdale final, losing to Ai Sugiyama in the final but then teaming with Sugiyama to win the doubles crown.

ďI took a couple of days off after Scottsdale. I just tried to relax and I spent some time at the spa and had some massages.Ē

Elleke
Mar 8th, 2003, 07:32 AM
thx hawk :)

Elleke
Mar 8th, 2003, 07:33 AM
I hope she can win easier against Schiavone!
KOMAAN KIM!!!!:bounce:

Come-on-kim
Mar 8th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Come on Kim!!! Congrats on your win, but please play better!!

Good luck in doubles today!!

Kim_for_number_1
Mar 8th, 2003, 09:31 AM
GO KIM!!! I'm so happy you won this first match! now keeeeeep going :bounce:

and good luck in doubles today, but I'm sure you won't need it ;)

Bigkimfan
Mar 8th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Well done Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck against Schiavone!!!!!!!!!!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cilla
Mar 8th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Well Done Kim :D Pick it up a little against Shiavone ;) Good Luck with Ai too :) (That little lady is on a roll too ;))

kit
Mar 8th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Well done Kim!! :worship: Good luck against Schiavone.
Come on!!!

kimmekefan
Mar 8th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Come On Kimmie! You can do it!!

prutske
Mar 8th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Good luck Kimmie :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 9th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Good Luck Kimmie against Schiavone
The match is the third match up tomorrow on Stadium Court :bounce: :bounce:
I really hope Kimmie can win and then get revenge on Dechy from last year :)

Kim & Ai are playing their 2nd doubles match now against Jidkova/Farina Elia
Kim &Ai lead 2-0 with a break and 30-15 on their serve :bounce: :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 9th, 2003, 02:56 AM
Kim & Ai won the first set 6-2 :D
But they got broke once in the 5th game and since Kim usually serves first for them I think it was her who got broken :sad: but I could be wrong as i am only following the scoreboard

Anyway keep it up Kim & Ai cause IF they win this match Kim will have 1924 ranking points meaning she is number 11 in the ranking and just one win away from becoming number 10 and having her first top 10 doubles rank :D As S Williams is number 10 with from memory I think 1927 points

~|Naomi|~
Mar 9th, 2003, 03:24 AM
Kim & Ai won 6-2 6-3 :bounce: :bounce:

So Kim is now one win away from being number 10 for the first time :D

But Kim will have to serve better tomorrow against Schiavone or she will lose :mad:

pcabenojar
Mar 9th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Kimmy's media ban stems from tr.net reporter
By Matthew Cronin

Top seed Kim Clijsters is upset about a story that Reuters (via this reporter) and ******************** ran last week about her battle with Belgian authorities about the amount of taxes she must pay and has now decided not to do any one-ones with the written press.

Kim could have decided not to talk about the subject, but did so anyway and has now decided to shoot the messengers instead of taking responsibility for her actions.

Clijsters' decision comes at a great time for the WTA, which is trying to promote a Tier 1 women's tournament without the Williamses and Martina Hingis with a handful of alleged stars who aren't thrilled about promoting their sport through the press.

The list of women who would rather seclude themselves in corporate suites includes Jennifer Capriati (no one-on-ones), Daniela Hantuchova (no pre-tournament press) and Jelena Dokic (little to no accessibility).

Somehow, these players must not be looking up in the stands when they play and notice that an average of 70 percent of the seats are empty.

Once the men get here on Monday, the amount of women's coverage will be reduced to a few paragraphs at the bottom of most stories. The players will only have themselves to blame.

Come-on-kim
Mar 9th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Congrats Kim and Ai!!

Go Kim against Schiavone

Elleke
Mar 9th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Well done Kim and Ai!:bounce:

Kim_for_number_1
Mar 9th, 2003, 08:59 AM
well done Kim and Ai!!! good luck today Kim!!!! get your sydney and AO-game back, plz!!!
and :o :rolleyes: at that article
women's tennis IS popular. :cool:

Lleykimmy1
Mar 9th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Well done Kimmie and Ai !!

Good luck for your single match Kim I know that you can do it !!!

http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/belgique.gif :bounce: http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/belgique.gif :bounce: http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/belgique.gif :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Mar 9th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Well done Kim/Ai!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Mar 9th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Come on Kim!!!!!!!!!!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

josefien
Mar 9th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Come on, Kim, believe in yourself and go for it!!

duck
Mar 9th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Kimmy's media ban stems from tr.net reporter

Kim could have decided not to talk about the subject, but did so anyway and has now decided to shoot the messengers instead of taking responsibility for her actions.

Ooops. Any one else see a reporter trying to justify himself? And not take responsibility for his actions. I'm sure he reported it in the most 'objective' manner possible.

kit
Mar 9th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Well done Kim and Ai!!Good luck Kim against Schiavone today!! :bounce: :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 10th, 2003, 12:35 AM
Kimmie won 7-5 6-4 :bounce: :bounce:
Well done girl keep it going :)

Up next Dechy I want revenge :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:
Also IF Kim wins her next match and therefore makes the QF she will remove Frecnh Open from her top 17 results so she will have nothing to defend there :D

Did anyone see the match How did Kim play? :confused:

The score would show she may have struggled a bit with her form again. But Schiavone beat Bovina last week so.....

Hawk
Mar 10th, 2003, 12:57 AM
I don't know if her form was any better against Schiavone. From the scoreboard it looked like she picked it up when she had too..like when Schiavone served for the first..she broke back and then held and broke for the set. She's still cutting it too close for my liking :p

She will definatly have to improve against Dechy.

spiritfullfrog
Mar 10th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Some quotes that Kim said today...(from random newspaper articles)

"I look forward to that (match)," Clijsters said. "I really want to get revenge. ;) She's a good player. She hardly makes any mistakes and she runs well. But I'll make sure I'll be ready for it."

No. 3 ranked Kim Clijsters was asked how far she felt she was from No. 1 in the world.
"Two spots," she said with a smile. :p

Then she acknowledged making that jump over sisters Serena and Venus Williams would be "huge," and said, "I really don't care how far I am from No. 1. That's not at all my goal in my tennis career.

"I know for myself that I give everything I have for every match I play, for every practice, for anything I do. If you can work hard and you can get the best out of yourself, then you see. If it doesn't get to No. 1, then who cares? I did the best I could do in my career."

"She's very tough," said Clijsters

"She runs well. With the high spin she plays, it's very hard for me to play aggressive. Sometimes I have to make sure that I don't go for too much.

"I've played her before and I lost to her at the Hopman Cup once. I knew I had to be close to my best to beat her.

"Sometimes I have to make sure that I try not to do too much and try to go for too much. I'm happy with the win. I'm happy with the way I fought and the way I finished the match. When you're not playing your best tennis, the only thing you can do is fight. When you can win those matches, that means sometimes more than winning them 0-0."

Good Luck Kim!

Kornelija
Mar 10th, 2003, 06:32 AM
Sounds like Kim.
i just want her to play very well tomorrow and the other days.
ssssssssoooooooo ggggggggooooooooo KIM :bounce: :bounce:

Come-on-kim
Mar 10th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Congrats Kimmies against Francesca!!

Now good luck in doubles, and then against Nat

Pinkie
Mar 10th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Monday, March 10, 2003

Clijsters happy with her place in the rankings

By JANIS CARR
The Orange County Register

INDIAN WELLS Ė Kim Clijsters is ranked No.3 in the world and quite happy. Really. Ask her.

"That's not at all my goal in my tennis career," she said of ever being No.1.

Could it be because the gap between Serena and Venus Williams, the Nos. 1 and 2 players, and the rest of the world is getting wider with every major tournament?

"It's huge," Clijsters said. "It is for everyone."

So why stress over it? Besides Clijsters has a more immediate goal. She would like to avenge last year's first-round loss in the Pacific Life Open to Natalie Dechy of France.

Top-seeded Clijsters defeated Francesca Schiavone, 7-5, 6-4, in a third-round match Sunday, while Dechy got by Sylvia Farina-Elia, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4, to set up another desert meeting.

"I look forward to that match," Clijsters said. "I lost to her here last year. I really want to get that revenge back. I'll definitely have to play better than what I did today.

"You know, she's a good player, very tough. She hardly makes any mistakes and she runs well. I'll make sure I'll be ready for her."

Clijsters said she needs to get her timing in order as well as her serve if she has any hopes of beating Dechy. The Belgian hasn't appeared sharp in her first three matches at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.

Against Schiavone, Clijsters repeatedly fell behind on her serve and committed an uncharacteristically high number of unforced errors.

"I'm not feeling as fast as I could be," she said. "I feel like I'm struggling a little bit more when I have to move back to the court, running back. It's something I'll work on."

Sky Sport:
CLIJSTERS STRUGGLES IN PACIFIC
Kim Clijsters celebrates her victory
RELATED STORIES
- WTA Pacific Life Open results Top seed Kim Clijsters and defending champion Daniela Hantuchova both had to struggle before advancing to the fourth round of the $2.1 million Pacific Life Open on Sunday.

Belgian Clijsters had to battle valiantly late in both sets in a 7-5 6-4 victory over Italy's Francesca Schiavone. While Hantuchova had to come form a break down in the first set to topple Katarina Srebotnik 7-6 6-2.

"She's very tough," said Clijsters. "She runs well. With the high spin she plays, it's very hard for me to play aggressive. Sometimes I have to make sure that I don't go for too much.

"I'm happy with the way I fought and finished the match. When you're not playing your best, the only thing you can do is fight."

Clijsters will face France's Nathalie Dechy who won a tremendous fight over Italy's Silvia Farina Elia 3-6 6-4 6-4.

Bigkimfan
Mar 10th, 2003, 03:55 PM
an interview with Kim! ;)

MODERATOR: Questions.
Q. A good test out there today.
KIM CLIJSTERS: Definitely. I've played her before and I lost to her at the Hopman Cup once. I knew I had to be close to my best to beat her. She's very tough. She runs well. With the high spin she plays, it's very hard for me to play my aggressive tennis. Sometimes I have to make sure that I try not to do too much and try to go for too much.
You know, I'm happy with the win. I'm happy with the way I fought and the way, you know, I finished the match. When you're not playing your best tennis, the only thing you can do is fight. When you can win those matches, that means sometimes more than winning them 0?0.

Q. You won both sets with service breaks.
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah.

Q. Every time you got down, you had the answer.
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, I think when she broke me, I was making a little too many easy mistakes too early in the game. Especially when she's up a break, you have to try to stay with her in the beginning of the games or even lead. I think the first ?? when she was serving for the first set ?? was she serving? I don't know. I think so. She wasn't nearly, like, serving as well as what she was in the previous game, so I think maybe she was getting a bit tired and making a few more easy mistakes that game, as well.
You know, you just have to hang in there. Even if you're down a break, it's never over.

Q. Can you remember the year you lost to her at the Hopman Cup?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yes.

Q. Could you share it with us?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I played very bad. I didn't play well at all.

Q. What year was it?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Let me think. I played ?? I played with Xavier now, so three years ago.

Q. In your mind, how far away is No. 1?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Two spots (smiling).

Q. How big a jump are those two spots?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Huge.

Q. Is it huge?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Of course, it is. It is for everyone.

Q. Are you that far, though?
KIM CLIJSTERS: You know, I really don't care how far I am from No. 1. That's not at all my goal in my tennis career.

Q. It's not?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No.

Q. What is?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I know for myself that I give everything I have, for every match I play, for every practice, for anything I do, you know. If you work hard and you can get the best out of yourself, then you see. If it doesn't get to No. 1, then who cares.
I did the best what I could do in my career. You know, this is even out of my expectations to be No. 3 in the world. When I was younger, I remember watching Jennifer when she was playing the French Open. You know, it's huge. Then you start thinking, "Well, I hope that one day I'm able to play the Grand Slams."
But No. 1, it's never a goal ? for me it's not. If it's there, it would be great. You know, I'm not thinking about rankings at all. Doesn't matter if I'm 3, if I'm 10. Doesn't matter. I know for myself that I give my best in everything I do. I try to be disciplined with everything that involves tennis, then we'll see how high I can go.
That's what I've been doing. I'm No. 3 now. That's what I've been doing. I'll keep doing. We'll see where it ends.

Q. From conversations you have had in the locker room, do you think most of your peers have that same mindset?
KIM CLIJSTERS: We actually don't talk about tennis at all in the locker rooms. We're more watching the men's tennis or watching whatever. We don't really talk about it.

Q. So you don't know?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No.

Q. You said there's a lot of tournaments between last year and this year. Obviously next round you have Dechy again.
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah. I look forward to that. I lost to her here last year. I really want to, you know, get that revenge back. I'll definitely have to play better than what I did today.
You know, she's a good player, very tough. She hardly makes any mistakes, and she runs well. But, yeah, I'll make sure I'll be ready for it.

Q. Your last three matches, the two here and then the Sugiyama match, you haven't been playing your best. Is it confidence or technically is there something going on that's not really working?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I don't know. I think I played one of my best matches against Meghann in that semifinal. Sort of since then, I think the timing is not exactly where it should be. Maybe the movement, I'm not feeling as fast as I could be, I think. I feel like I'm struggling a little bit more when I have to move back to the court, running back. It's something I'll work on.
I'll go to the hotel and do some small footwork and sprints and stuff. I'll have doubles tomorrow, so I can work on the timing a little bit more tomorrow.
But it's tough. You have to hang in there. You know, I've had an incredible year already. So far everything has been going well. Even if it doesn't go well, I'm still winning my matches without perfect timing, so it's not bad.
But for the next match coming up, you know, I'll definitely have to improve that because otherwise it's going to be a real struggle.

Q. You said your goal isn't to be No. 1. Would you feel differently if maybe the Williams sisters weren't there?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, no, no. Even when I was playing Juniors, rankings has never been on my mind. First of all, I think the most important thing is to be healthy. That makes you capable of playing. Then you just have to do everything to be healthy. But, no, it doesn't matter if they're playing or not.
Like rankings to me, they don't really matter. Just something that comes with the tennis, I think. Also for the public, it's very interesting to see the rankings. But I think for the players, especially for the top players, it doesn't really matter if they're 1, 2, 3. Except for Serena I think she loves to be No. 1. I think for the other players, I don't really think ?? I mean, that's how I think about it. But I don't think they really worry about they're 5, 6, 7, 8.

Q. You play Nathalie next. She beat you last year in the second round. What are you expecting from her in your next match?
KIM CLIJSTERS: You know, she's very tough. She runs well. She makes hardly any unforced errors. She likes the pace, as well. She likes it when you hit the ball hard. She likes to take advantage of players that hit the ball hard. I'll definitely have to mix my game up a little bit.
Most of all, just try to get my timing back before, what is it, Tuesday. Yeah, I'll have to serve well. I think today my first serve percentage was pretty good. I'll have to keep that up.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...

Go Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Cilla
Mar 10th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Q. In your mind, how far away is No. 1?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Two spots (smiling).

LMAO :D Kim :p Congrats Kim :D Good Luck against Dechy :kiss:

(btw The Kim Avatar is great ;))

Mazza
Mar 10th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Kim's great at answering these questions! ;) :p

Good Luck Kimmie! :D :bounce:

Come-on-kim
Mar 10th, 2003, 07:46 PM
LOL at Kim

kit
Mar 10th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Well done Kim!!!Good luck against Dechy!Come on and fight!!!
Thank you very much for the articles and the interview. :kiss: :kiss:

tennisIlove09
Mar 10th, 2003, 08:37 PM
[Mod message: moved thread]

Dechy win sets up rematch
Top-seeded Clijsters lost to Frenchwoman in last yearís event
March 10 2003
By Patti Myers
The Desert Sun

INDIAN WELLS -- Nathalie Dechy smiles when she talks about the Pacific Life Open.

The tournament has been good for her, and she has fourth-round appearances on her resume to show for it.

Dechy is on track toward another late-round appearance following Sundayís 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory over Italyís Silvia Farina Elia.

The 21st-ranked Italian has always been a tough opponent for Dechy, who is ranked No. 22 in the world. However, she now leads the series 4-2.

"Itís a good tournament that I like,íí Dechy said of her fourth appearance in Indian Wells. "Itís always good to come here, to have this great place here. Itís so calm, like peaceful. Youíre there just to play tennis and focus on the tennis.

"Yeah, I like this place. I always did some great matches. I had some great victories. Why not keep going?"

Dechy will have a chance to pull another upset Tuesday when she meets top-seeded Kim Clijsters.

Clijsters, the top seed a year ago as well, was on the losing end of last yearís second-round match against Dechy (6-2, 7-5). The 24-year-old Frenchwoman said that match is sure to be in the back of her mind -- and Clijsterís as well.

"Both of us will have this match in a little corner of our mind,íí she said. "It wonít be the same because Kim -- since that match -- has won a lot of matches and is now the No. 3 in the world, has won more championships.

"On the court, itís going to be really tough for sure. But Iím happy to play against her for sure."

Still, during Sundayís match, Dechy had to overcome Farina Elia. She doesnít have an answer for all of the tough matches sheís had against Farina Elia.

"Maybe she likes my game," Dechy said. "Sheís really hard -- itís hard to win a point against her because she moves really well. She changes the pace. Her balls are always well-placed in the court. Itís a game that bothers me a little bit, so I had to be really careful on her."

Farina Elia started well Sunday, and Dechy found herself trailing for most of the first set. She admitted she had to fight to stay in the match and grab a point at a time.

The turning point came in the second set.

"In the beginning of the second set, I start to feel really better, like try to move much better, to hit the ball better," she said.

Dechy tried desperately to step up in the court, go to the net and alter the pace of the game.

"On the first set, I was always behind my line,íí she said. "She was like the boss on the court, making me run. In the second set, it started to change."

Dechylikes where her game is going and has played solid tennis already this season, winning her first career WTA Tour title at Gold Coast in Australia.

"For the last few months, my tennis has been improving a lot," she said. "There are more and more players, top 20, top 30, who are able to play well and beat the top 10."

Dechy gets her chance to do just that Tuesday against Clijsters, a 7-5, 6-4 winner over Italyís Francesca Schiavone.

KaseyL
Mar 10th, 2003, 08:53 PM
thanks for the articles! :kiss:

Mod message for TennisIlove09 : I have moved your thread to this Indian Wells one

pcabenojar
Mar 11th, 2003, 03:35 AM
Kim & Ai won their doubles match and will face Ruano Pascual / Suarez in the SF. Good luck :)

Here's the score:

Kim Clijsters / Ai Sugiyama (BEL/JPN) d. Elena Dementieva / Rita Grande (RUS/ITA) 64 60

Ashie_87
Mar 11th, 2003, 04:12 AM
:wavey:hi everyone!
Thanx 4 the articles
OMG! i swear i don't know how she does that! they keep asking her the same old questions bout the rankings n she doesnt end up strangling them! if people kept asking me the same questions i'd just tell them to shut up! :fiery:

:worship: :bounce: GOOD LUCK KIMMIE! :bounce: :worship:

Come-on-kim
Mar 11th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Congrats Kim and Ai!!

Now, Kim, go and defeat Nathalie Dechy

spiritfullfrog
Mar 11th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Kim's match against Dechy is the second one of the night session, in Stadium 1. Btw Lleyton's first round match is third in Stadium one against Younes El Aynaoui!

:bounce: Good Luck Kim & Lleyton!!! :bounce:

Lleykimmy1
Mar 11th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Good Luck To Kim And Lleyton !! I'm Sure You Can Both Win The Tournament !!!!!!!!!!!!!

pathfinder
Mar 11th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Kim & Ai won their doubles match and will face Ruano Pascual / Suarez in the SF. Good luck :)

Here's the score:

Kim Clijsters / Ai Sugiyama (BEL/JPN) d. Elena Dementieva / Rita Grande (RUS/ITA) 64 60

:eek: What's with the 6:0 and Kim/Ai? It's becoming a habit! :eek:
..pretty strong team it seems.
Does this mean that Kim has entered the top ten in doubles?

Good luck against Dechy :)

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Does this mean that Kim has entered the top ten in doubles? :)

YES :bounce: She has now 1997 Points and that's 70 more than Serena Williams :D

CONGRATS KIM !!!!

Zoecrick
Mar 11th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Good for her soon i think her and Ai will be number 1 and 2 in doubles!! Congrats Kimmie!!

Stefke
Mar 11th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Cmon Kim and Lleyton:bounce:

Chris_Martin's_woman
Mar 11th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Go Kim and of course..................LLEYTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!:heart s::worship::kiss::lick:

Lleyton

is

so

damn

sexy!

:hearts::kiss::hearts::kiss::hearts:

Come-on-kim
Mar 11th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Kim :kiss:

Elleke
Mar 11th, 2003, 05:54 PM
again a nice result for Kim and Ai :)

-Fienesse-
Mar 11th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Go Kim, go and beat Dechy!!

Bigkimfan
Mar 11th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Good luck Kim!!!!!!!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

kit
Mar 11th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Yeah,come on Kim and Lleyton and good luck!!! :fiery: :bounce: :fiery: :bounce:

Come-on-kim
Mar 11th, 2003, 08:10 PM
"Kimmie looking at me,
tell me what do you see
yes, I believe in yooooouuuuuuuuuuu"

Good luck against Nat :wavey: :bounce: :bounce:

Lleyki
Mar 11th, 2003, 08:14 PM
lol axel

C'mon Kimmie, you can do it :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 11th, 2003, 10:40 PM
Come On Kimmie it is very important you defeat Dechy as with Daniela's loss the draw is wide open for you :) Please take advantage of it and show Dechy what you are really capable of :D

Good luck girl :bounce: :bounce:

Sarah
Mar 12th, 2003, 12:39 AM
:bounce: :bounce: Come on KIM.... step it up that level!!!
I know you can!!!!!!!!!!
Daniela lost, great opportunity for you!!!!!!! :)
Show them some Belgian tennis!

( Congrats to Lleyton, though it got pretty close in the second)

If I wouldn't have class tomorrow morning, I'ld stay up to watch the live scoreboard :rolleyes:

Come on,KIM! I hope my day will start of just great tomorrow, hearing you won.... :)

budgirlbz
Mar 12th, 2003, 12:54 AM
Woohoo....I just saw lleyton's match on t.v....great match!!!

looking for a lleyki double!!!

Go Kim!!!

Hawk
Mar 12th, 2003, 06:11 AM
I'll spread the good news over here :D

Kim won! Hooray! :bounce:

6-3, 3-6, 6-1 :D

Good third set..but she's still making life more difficult for herself.

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 12th, 2003, 06:32 AM
CONGRATS KIM !!!!!!!!

WE KEEP BELIEVING IN YOU :bounce:

You can do it !!!! :hearts:

Best of luck against the number 1 seeds in doubles tomorrow!!!!!!!

Also good luck against Chanda on Thursday :kiss: :bounce:

GROW TO YOUR BEST FORM KIMMY :drool: :worship:

Come-on-kim
Mar 12th, 2003, 06:52 AM
CONGRATS KIMMIE :bounce: :bounce:

Now, you have nothing to defend at the French Open!!! Congrats!!!!

Good luck tomorrow!!!

I hope you are not too injured!!

~|Naomi|~
Mar 12th, 2003, 07:37 AM
OMG I think that if Kim wins against Rubin she will be leading both the doubles and the SINGLES race to LA

Because after beating Dechy :D she now has 1309 points this year alone in the race to the LA championships and is 2nd behind Serena with 1332 so she is only 23 points behind her. And if shebeats Rubin she will get 23 bonus points :) as well as round points for making the SF so she should be leading the race :D

I sooooo hope she can do it, even if it only lasts one week it would still be sooo good :)

But I don't want to put too much pressure on her so Come on Kimmie you can do it don't worry bout your thigh let Evelyn look after it :D

duck
Mar 12th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Hewitt, Clijsters survive scares
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2003

Lleyton Hewitt and Kim Clijsters, the tennis world's top couple, advanced at the ATP and WTA Masters Series event on Tuesday, surviving scares to avenge earlier losses.

Men's top seed Hewitt of Australia rallied to reach the second round with a 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 victory over Morocco's Younes El Aynaoui while his girlfriend, Belgian women's top seed Clijsters, beat France's Nathalie Dechy 6-3, 3-6, 6-1.

World number one Hewitt saved three match points in the second set to subdue his 31 year old Moroccan rival at the 4.5 million dollar hardcourt event.

"I went for my shots on match point and it paid off," said Hewitt. "You sort of live and die on the edge, I guess."

The victory comes just two months after the 22 year old Aussie lost to El Aynaoui in the fourth round at the Australian Open.

Hewitt next plays Russian veteran Yevgeny Kafelnikov, who also had to rally in beating Czech Radek Stepanek 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 in a first round match Monday.

"He's a tough player, especially on this type of court," said Hewitt. "I have to play better than I did today."

Serving in the eighth game, two-time Grand Slam champion Hewitt saved his first match point with a superb backhand down the line. Hewitt then saved two more match points in the ninth game of the second set.

El Aynaoui was up 40-30 and serving on the second match point when he hit a forehand into the net. On the third one, Hewitt waited until El Aynaoui rushed the net, then hit a cross-court forehand winner to the open side.

"It was a bit of a wake-up call," said Hewitt. "It is nice to get through a tough match."

Hewitt won his 18th career singles title last week in Scottsdale, Arizona, beating compatriot Mark Philippoussis in the final.

Like Hewitt, Clijsters needed three sets to claim the victory.

"Lleyton almost lost as well and he is number one in the world," Clijsters said. "That is just tennis."

Dechy upset Clijsters in the second round last year and Clijsters didn't feel she played particularly well against Dechy this time either.

"I was happy the third set went so quickly," she said. "But in those types of situations it doesn't matter who you're playing, if it is (world number one) Serena Williams or a lower-ranked opponent, you have to make them win the points."

Clijsters captured her 11th WTA singles title earlier this year in Sydney and said she enjoys combined men's and women's events, which offer the chance for her and Hewitt to spend time together.

"It doesn't happen a lot that we can spend a lot of the tournaments together," she said. "It is always nice to have his support on the sidelines."

Clijsters' title chances were given a boost on Tuesday with Amanda Coetzer's 6-4, 6-4 upset of defending champion Daniela Hantuchova.

Clijsters next plays American eighth seed Chanda Rubin. Coetzer will face Spain's Conchita Martinez. Two-time finalist Martinez overpowered Swiss Emmanuelle Gagliardi 6-1, 6-2 and Rubin beat Japan's Ai Sugiyama 0-6, 6-4, 6-4.

Brazil's Gustavo Kuerten defeated Croatian Goran Ivanisevic 6-2, 6-4 to reach the second round.

"I am playing at a pretty high level right now," said Kuerten. "I can compete against the best guys, and I can maintain a higher level from the beginning to the end."

The 26 year old Brazilian and three-time Roland Garros champion needed just 53 minutes to dismiss the Croatian. Kuerten hit 20 winners to Ivanisevic's 11 winners and made just 15 unforced errors to his opponent's 24.

Kuerten, a 1999 semifinalist here, will next face number four seed Roger Federer of Switzerland, who beat Spain's Felix Mantilla.

Federer was ahead 7-6, 4-6, 4-1 in the third set when Mantilla was forced to stop playing with a stomach problem. He wasn't the only one, Finland's Jarkko Nieminen and Gaston Gaudio of Argentina also retired due to stomach sickness.

"It will be a big test for me to play him," said Kuerten. "He has been one of the best players over the last few weeks."

In other first-round men's matches, sixth seed American Andy Roddick dismissed Sweden's Thomas Enqvist 6-4, 6-4, France's Sebastien Grosjean overpowered Spain's David Sanchez 6-3, 6-2, Philippoussis beat Romania's Andrei Pavel 6-3, 6-4 and Spanish fifth seed Carlos Moya beat Michael Chang 6-0, 6-3.

Joining Hewitt in action on Wednesday are third seed Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain, who plays American Brian Vahaly, and Roddick, who faces Spaniard Feliciano Lopez.

pcabenojar
Mar 12th, 2003, 10:50 AM
small article from the website:

Top seed Kim Clijsters admitted that she was struggling for form despite finishing strongly to beat Frenchwoman Nathalie Dechy 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 in Tuesday's night match.

"I'm not playing my best. I'm fighting...I'm starting to get a few small injuries here and there. That's definitely not going to make it any easier for me. I have to hang in there. I have to keep fighting, keep trying, try to get that momentum change again, try to make my rhythm come back and fight. I think that's the most important thing at the moment, is just to fight for every ball."

Kim_for_number_1
Mar 12th, 2003, 01:21 PM
I don't like the sound of these 'small injuries'!!!
anywayz, well done against dechy, I'm so relieved...I really thought you wouldn't make it!, but you proved me wrong, thanx :bounce:
good luck today in doubles :angel:

Majo
Mar 12th, 2003, 01:57 PM
good luck dear kimmie!!!!! :bounce:

:kiss:

duck
Mar 12th, 2003, 04:26 PM
PACIFIC LIFE OPEN
INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

March 11, 2003

K. CLIJSTERS/N. Dechy
6-3, 3-6, 6-1

An interview with:

KIM CLIJSTERS

Q. You looked happy hitting that ball into the top of the stadium.

KIM CLIJSTERS: I just got all my anger out on that ball (laughter). Definitely not my best tennis I've played. But I won. I think in those types of matches, that's the only thing that counts. As soon as I lost the second set, just completely refocused and started off zero, just tried to put my energy in that third set. I knew that I had to get a good start, otherwise she was going to just walk over me I think in that third set. As soon as I broke, I felt like I was putting a little more pressure on her serves, her second serve. Yeah, so it was good. I was happy with the third set, that it was going so quickly.

Q. In the second game of the third set, you had the breakpoint opportunity. She missed a pretty routine overhead. I sensed from that point on she was sort of defeated.

KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, that's the thing, you know, you have to try to make every ball. You never know, they can miss it. I mean, it was an easy shot, I think. The whole other side of the court was open. She tried to go to the side where I was coming from, as well. Like I said, in those type of situations, doesn't matter who you play, if you play Serena or someone who is ranked a lot lower, you have to make them play for every shot and make them win the point. Then you can have the type of points where they can make easy mistakes, miss volleys or overheads.

Q. Do you think perhaps you struggled a bit with your concentration this year?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, I've been playing a lot of matches. So this year I've been playing a lot of matches in singles and in doubles. I think at the moment everything is sort of -- you know, I'm not playing my best. I'm fighting. If it doesn't happen straightaway the way I want, it get a little frustrated. I'm starting to get a few small injuries here and there. That's definitely not going to make it any easier for me. You know, I have to hang in there. I have to keep fighting, keep trying, try to get that momentum change again, try to make my rhythm come back and fight. I think that's the most important thing at the moment, is just to fight for every ball.

Q. Do you think there's a reason why you're going through a sticky patch of form?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I think it's a matter of I've been playing so much. I haven't had this since Luxembourg last year. I played all good matches. I think it started a little bit at the end of the tournament in Scottsdale, where I played a really good match against Meghann Shaughnessy in the semis. Sort of from then on in singles, I haven't even been close to the level I made in that match. But I'm still winning. I'm in the quarterfinals now. On the other hand, I have to see it in a positive way. Although there's not a lot of positive to take out of the way I've been playing. I have to just keep fighting and keep working hard, you know, try to get that rhythm back, to get that chance again.

Q. All the other things you have going on, the attention, I presume that doesn't help dealing with fatigue, being tired.

KIM CLIJSTERS: No, I think I'm quite good with just like blocking all those things out. I know there's a lot of players, doesn't matter if I'm the No. 1 seed here at the moment, I can lose to everyone. That's sport. Lleyton almost lost today as well. He's the No. 1 seed. He's No. 1 in the world. That's tennis. That's what comes with it. You're going to win some great matches and you're going to lose some bad ones. Everyone goes through those stages, when those stages come, you're not playing your best, you lose a few matches, you have to stay focused, stay professional, it will come back automatically.

Q. You mentioned Lleyton. Does that help you to have Lleyton at a tournament?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Sure, sure. It doesn't happen a lot that we can spend a lot of the tournaments together. It's always nice to have his support on the sideline.

Q. If you're feeling tired, having injuries, why are you playing doubles?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Because I like it. I love playing doubles, I really do. Yeah, I mean, I've been playing great in doubles. Even yesterday, I've been playing well, although in my singles the day before I didn't play good, I'm playing really well in doubles. I'm trying to sort of get that back, sort of practicing a little bit on my return and stuff so that I can get it back in the singles. Yeah, I mean, I don't think I've ever pulled out of a match, except when I had my shoulder problem. Ai and I, we're playing really well. We're having a lot of fun. As long as I can still stand up, I'll keep playing.

Q. You were talking about the return of serve. In the second set, was that the frustration?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Oh, yeah. I was missing way too many returns, giving too many easy points. Like her serve, it wasn't a bomb or anything. I just had to make her play and make my way into the point.

Q. Is it just a case of wanting --?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Maybe trying to do too much, as well. You're so focused on making the return, it can have the opposite effect as well. Sometimes it's better not to think at all and just hit it, don't worry about where you're going to hit it or how. I think the more you start thinking, the worse you're going to get in your head. You're going to stay in trouble. Sometimes you can't get out of it anymore.

Q. Are you enjoying your tennis at the moment in terms of the singles?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, I mean, of course I didn't enjoy that second set. I get a lot of satisfaction out of the way I fought until the end, the way I could turn that match around in the third set. But, of course, I enjoy -- you enjoy it more if you're playing well. That's what it's all about. You try to play your best tennis. That's when you're enjoying it. You can't always play your best tennis. You have to work your way in and try to enjoy yourself.

Q. Dominant third set. Have you ever had a thought she might turn it around in the third set?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I don't really think ahead. I just try to focus on each point and try to win each point. So, no, I never really was thinking that she could turn the match around or anything. I just try to focus on each point and try to get an early lead. That's going to be the big disadvantage for her to get it back, if you get an early break, if you can go up to 3-Love or 4-Love in the third set.

End of FastScriptsÖ.

sanstamtam
Mar 12th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Thanks for this interview and for all the articles :worship: :worship:

Cilla
Mar 12th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Congrats Kim :D Just watched the match on Eurosport, she played a great final set :D Lleyton was there to support her :D (There was even a Lleyki Fist pump from Kim to Lleyton ;))

Good Luck in the dubs with Ai yai yai tonight :p

Thanks for the articles and the interview :kiss:

Elke
Mar 12th, 2003, 06:04 PM
Yep, it was a great 3rd set, the other two weren't good, but she kept fighting and Nathalie played good.
It was almost a Lleyton match, so many close ups!;):p
BUt the fist was after a MAGIC point! :eek: an dyou could see the admiration in Lleyton's eyes! :hearts:
Come On Kim!! :bounce:

janj
Mar 12th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Any photos of Lleyton watching Kim?

Lleykimmy1
Mar 12th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Good Luck For You Next Matches Kim And Lleyton !!! I Know You Can Win You Are The Best !!!!!!!

Bigkimfan
Mar 12th, 2003, 07:43 PM
She played very good in the 3rd set!!!!!!!!!! Good luck against Rubin!!!!!!!!!! Komaan Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

kit
Mar 12th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Well done Kim and Lleyton!!!Aww,that was a though and exciting match between Lleyton and El Aynaoui and Kim and Dechy.Kim and Lleyton won,I'm very happy!!!
Good luck Lleyton against Kafelnikov and Kim in your double!!!
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Cilla
Mar 12th, 2003, 08:03 PM
BUt the fist was after a MAGIC point! :eek: an dyou could see the admiration in Lleyton's eyes! :hearts:

Yeah :D The commenator said Lleyt was glowing with admiration for his girlfriend :hearts:

Bigkimfan
Mar 12th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Kim Clijsters

March 11, 2003

K. CLIJSTERS/N. Dechy
6-3, 3-6, 6-1

An interview with:

KIM CLIJSTERS

Q. You looked happy hitting that ball into the top of the stadium.
KIM CLIJSTERS: I just got all my anger out on that ball (laughter). Definitely not my best tennis I've played. But I won. I think in those types of matches, that's the only thing that counts. As soon as I lost the second set, just completely refocused and started off zero, just tried to put my energy in that third set. I knew that I had to get a good start, otherwise she was going to just walk over me I think in that third set.
As soon as I broke, I felt like I was putting a little more pressure on her serves, her second serve. Yeah, so it was good. I was happy with the third set, that it was going so quickly.

Q. In the second game of the third set, you had the breakpoint opportunity. She missed a pretty routine overhead. I sensed from that point on she was sort of defeated.
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, that's the thing, you know, you have to try to make every ball. You never know, they can miss it. I mean, it was an easy shot, I think. The whole other side of the court was open. She tried to go to the side where I was coming from, as well.
Like I said, in those type of situations, doesn't matter who you play, if you play Serena or someone who is ranked a lot lower, you have to make them play for every shot and make them win the point. Then you can have the type of points where they can make easy mistakes, miss volleys or overheads.

Q. Do you think perhaps you struggled a bit with your concentration this year?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, I've been playing a lot of matches. So this year I've been playing a lot of matches in singles and in doubles. I think at the moment everything is sort of -- you know, I'm not playing my best. I'm fighting. If it doesn't happen straightaway the way I want, it get a little frustrated. I'm starting to get a few small injuries here and there. That's definitely not going to make it any easier for me.
You know, I have to hang in there. I have to keep fighting, keep trying, try to get that momentum change again, try to make my rhythm come back and fight. I think that's the most important thing at the moment, is just to fight for every ball.

Q. Do you think there's a reason why you're going through a sticky patch of form?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I think it's a matter of I've been playing so much. I haven't had this since Luxembourg last year. I played all good matches. I think it started a little bit at the end of the tournament in Scottsdale, where I played a really good match against Meghann Shaughnessy in the semis. Sort of from then on in singles, I haven't even been close to the level I made in that match.
But I'm still winning. I'm in the quarterfinals now. On the other hand, I have to see it in a positive way. Although there's not a lot of positive to take out of the way I've been playing. I have to just keep fighting and keep working hard, you know, try to get that rhythm back, to get that chance again.

Q. All the other things you have going on, the attention, I presume that doesn't help dealing with fatigue, being tired.
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, I think I'm quite good with just like blocking all those things out. I know there's a lot of players, doesn't matter if I'm the No. 1 seed here at the moment, I can lose to everyone. That's sport. Lleyton almost lost today as well. He's the No. 1 seed. He's No. 1 in the world. That's tennis. That's what comes with it.
You're going to win some great matches and you're going to lose some bad ones. Everyone goes through those stages, when those stages come, you're not playing your best, you lose a few matches, you have to stay focused, stay professional, it will come back automatically.

Q. You mentioned Lleyton. Does that help you to have Lleyton at a tournament?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Sure, sure. It doesn't happen a lot that we can spend a lot of the tournaments together. It's always nice to have his support on the sideline.

Q. If you're feeling tired, having injuries, why are you playing doubles?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Because I like it. I love playing doubles, I really do. Yeah, I mean, I've been playing great in doubles. Even yesterday, I've been playing well, although in my singles the day before I didn't play good, I'm playing really well in doubles. I'm trying to sort of get that back, sort of practicing a little bit on my return and stuff so that I can get it back in the singles.
Yeah, I mean, I don't think I've ever pulled out of a match, except when I had my shoulder problem. Ai and I, we're playing really well. We're having a lot of fun. As long as I can still stand up, I'll keep playing.

Q. You were talking about the return of serve. In the second set, was that the frustration?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Oh, yeah. I was missing way too many returns, giving too many easy points. Like her serve, it wasn't a bomb or anything. I just had to make her play and make my way into the point.

Q. Is it just a case of wanting --?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Maybe trying to do too much, as well. You're so focused on making the return, it can have the opposite effect as well. Sometimes it's better not to think at all and just hit it, don't worry about where you're going to hit it or how. I think the more you start thinking, the worse you're going to get in your head. You're going to stay in trouble. Sometimes you can't get out of it anymore.

Q. Are you enjoying your tennis at the moment in terms of the singles?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, I mean, of course I didn't enjoy that second set. I get a lot of satisfaction out of the way I fought until the end, the way I could turn that match around in the third set. But, of course, I enjoy -- you enjoy it more if you're playing well. That's what it's all about. You try to play your best tennis. That's when you're enjoying it.
You can't always play your best tennis. You have to work your way in and try to enjoy yourself.

Q. Dominant third set. Have you ever had a thought she might turn it around in the third set?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I don't really think ahead. I just try to focus on each point and try to win each point. So, no, I never really was thinking that she could turn the match around or anything. I just try to focus on each point and try to get an early lead. That's going to be the big disadvantage for her to get it back, if you get an early break, if you can go up to 3-Love or 4-Love in the third set.

She is playing too many doublesmatches!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 13th, 2003, 12:01 AM
She is playing too many doublesmatches!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

And Saterday she will play another one :bounce:

Kim/AI def Vivi/Paola 6-1, 1-1 Ret.

I feel sorry for Vivi/Paola but this means that Kim will be the number 8 in doubles Monday

CONGRATS KIM :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

PS: Also Ai will gain a spot, she will be the number 6

beauty_is_pink
Mar 13th, 2003, 02:24 AM
COME ON KIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you have a VERY good chance in winning this title!!! [since Daniela lost :sad: ]

GET REVENGE FOR DANIELA!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 13th, 2003, 02:40 AM
That photo is from Indian Wells last year :)

possie
Mar 13th, 2003, 02:45 AM
Yeah :D The commenator said Lleyt was glowing with admiration for his girlfriend :hearts:

Aaaawwww....my heart melts :angel: .

pcabenojar
Mar 13th, 2003, 03:04 AM
Order of play for Thursday, March 13

Stadium 1 start 10:00 AM
1. (1)Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) vs. Guillermo Coria (ARG)
not before 12:00 NOON
2. (1)Kim Clijsters (BEL) vs. (8)Chanda Rubin (USA)

Good Luck Kim :)

~|Naomi|~
Mar 13th, 2003, 03:12 AM
Hmm seems like i'll be having an early wake up tomorrow at about 5am to watch lleyton's match on foxtel and then i'l have to follow Km's match on the net as stupid foxtel :mad: are only showing mens matches :fiery:

But the schedule is good they should both have their matches over with before i have to go to uni :D

Good Luck to them both, and Kim please play like you did in the 3rd against Dechy, please don't lose to Rubin, she is sweet n all, but this tournament is wide open for you :bounce: :bounce:

spiritfullfrog
Mar 13th, 2003, 05:17 AM
Hmm seems like i'll be having an early wake up tomorrow at about 5am to watch lleyton's match on foxtel and then i'l have to follow Km's match on the net as stupid foxtel :mad: are only showing mens matches :fiery:

But the schedule is good they should both have their matches over with before i have to go to uni :D

Good Luck to them both, and Kim please play like you did in the 3rd against Dechy, please don't lose to Rubin, she is sweet n all, but this tournament is wide open for you :bounce: :bounce:

when's does the lleyton's match start in aussi (sydney) time? and when does foxtel start showing it?

Hopefully I can watch a bit before I go to netball training! :D

~|Naomi|~
Mar 13th, 2003, 06:08 AM
I don't know but I live in Queensland so aren't you 1 hour ahead so it should be 6am, I think. Foxtel coverage starts at 5am, but I don't know if that is NSW or QLD time cause I hate the foxtel guide I can never work it out :fiery: It says sometimes take an hour off the time and to other times add an hour it sux :mad:

So I think it would be best to check your guide :)

Come-on-kim
Mar 13th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Congrats Kim And Ai!!!!!!!!!!

Come On Kim Against Chanda

Bigkimfan
Mar 13th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Good luck Kim!!!!!!!!!!!! Komaan!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Cilla
Mar 13th, 2003, 11:50 AM
C'mon Kim and Lleyton :D The two No.1 seeds :D :bounce:

valentine
Mar 13th, 2003, 05:42 PM
For all belgian, AB3 shows Kim's match today!!! At 8pm! :bounce:

kit
Mar 13th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Come on Lleyton and Kim you can do it!!Good luck!!! :) :) :)

nicky
Mar 13th, 2003, 07:10 PM
For all belgian, AB3 shows Kim's match today!!! At 8pm! :bounce:

Hi Valentine!

What channel is AB3? :confused:

Come-on-kim
Mar 13th, 2003, 07:37 PM
It's a french speaking channel!!

You have RTBF, La2, RTL-TVI, Club RTL, AB3 and AB4!

AB3 is like a channel for stupid things like "I'm fat and I love it",... I used not to like it a lot, but if they broadcast Kimmie...

Go AB3

pruts
Mar 13th, 2003, 07:39 PM
good luck kimmie and lleyton :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

nicky
Mar 13th, 2003, 08:39 PM
It's a french speaking channel!!

You have RTBF, La2, RTL-TVI, Club RTL, AB3 and AB4!

AB3 is like a channel for stupid things like "I'm fat and I love it",... I used not to like it a lot, but if they broadcast Kimmie...

Go AB3

Too bad, we don't have it. Only RTBF,La2 and RTL/TVI (which are channels I only watch if they're showing tennis and Canvas is not anyway...)

KaseyL
Mar 13th, 2003, 09:54 PM
:bounce: Kim won :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 13th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Well done Kim!!

Good Luck for your semi :kiss:

Kimmie is now leading the race to the LA championships with 1409 points adn Serena is in 2nd with 1332 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
AND Kim and Ai are leading the doubles race so Kim is winning both :D

Also Kim is now at 4214 ranking points which is 670 points ahead of Henin which is very important as Henin is playing Amelia Is and Charelston which Kim isn't and Kim also has her Hamburg points to defend so it is good she has a bit of breathing space over Henin. And also Kim is now 780 points behind Venus :bounce: :bounce: she is catching her very slowly :D with all the points Venus has to defend at the slams, and Kim has only 122 points to defend at US open, Kim has a great shot at number 2 :D

Come-on-kim
Mar 13th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Kim played well today!! Like she played in Antwerp!

Congrats Girl!!

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 13th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Good Luck Kim against Amanda or Conchita tomorrow :)

You can do it :hearts: :kiss:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 14th, 2003, 04:07 AM
Kim will play Conchita Martinez in the semis tomorrow it is the 2nd match on stadium court and won't start till after noon

Martinez beat Coetzer 6-2 6-1 :eek: :eek:

Kim's head tohead with MArtinez is 1-1 however both matches were in 2000, & Kim one the last meeting 7-5 7-5 in Filderstadt 2000 but lost to her in Sandiego on hardcourts in straight sets that year too.

Hope Kim can win :bounce: Good Luck Kimmie show martinez how good a player you have become since 2000 :D

I think it is going to be a tough match, I would of rathered Kim play Coetzer :sad:

pcabenojar
Mar 14th, 2003, 05:42 AM
Article from the wta website:

Clijsters defeats Rubin to reach semis
March 13, 2003

Indian Wells, CA (Sports Network) - Top-seeded Belgian Kim Clijsters blitzed eighth-seeded American Chanda Rubin 6-2, 6-3 on Thursday to secure a semifinal berth at the $2.1 million Pacific Life Open.

Clijsters also routed Rubin, 6-1, 6-2, in a hardcourt quarterfinal matchup at the Australian Open tune-up event in Sydney back in January and went on to capture the tournament.

Clijsters posted a runner-up finish in Scottsdale the week before this Indian Wells tournament commenced, as Japan's Ai Sugiyama stunned the Belgian star in three sets at the State Farm Women's Tennis Classic.

The 19-year-old Clijsters has reached at least the semifinals in all five of her events this season, including a runner-up finish to Serena's older sister Venus at the Diamond Games in Antwerp last month. Clijsters lost to the incomparable Serena in the semis at the Aussie Open.

The 2001 Indian Wells runner-up Clijsters will meet Spaniard Conchita Martinez in Friday's semifinal. Martinez, a former Wimbledon champion, breezed past South Africa's Amanda Coetzer with a 6-2, 6-1 decision.

Coetzer, who titled in Acapulco two weeks ago, fell in just 85 minutes as Martinez converted 5-of-9 break points.

Second-seeded Jennifer Capriati and fourth-seeded Lindsay Davenport will clash in an all-American semi here on Friday, after Capriati beat Russian Vera Zvonareva and Davenport advanced via walkover against an ill Amelie Mauresmo on Wednesday.

Sunday's champion will claim $332,000.

~|Naomi|~
Mar 14th, 2003, 06:15 AM
From the IW site: :)

Clijsters Closes On Another Final

Kim Clijsters produced her most polished performance of this year's Pacific Life Open to defeat Chanda Rubin 6-2, 6-3 and advance to the semifinals in Indian Wells. Clijsters, a finalist here in 2001, stepped up her game after needing three sets to defeat Nathalie Dechy in the fourth round.
"I was a bit worried with the way I was playing in my previous matches," Clijsters said. "I knew if I was going to play like that, I was going to have a really tough match. I think when the opponents get better, I'm the type of player who plays better myself. Today that was definitely the case."

Clijsters followed boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt onto center court and said that she tried not to get caught up in the tension of his three-set win over Guillermo Coria.

"I try not to focus on it too much because I know I have to prepare for my own match. I just do my own things. Once in a while I just watch the score. I was playing cards with my coach upstairs to just take the focus off of it a little bit. I do get nervous watching him play, especially the tight matches. So that's not a great preparation for my own match.

pathfinder
Mar 14th, 2003, 11:27 AM
I saw the match.Up to 2:2 first set it was a really good match and a tough one for Kim.The commentators said that you couldn't tell who was the number 3 player in the world.(but i could :p )But for the next seven games Chanda's level dropped a lot and Kim won all seven of them (playing well,not excellent,but well).At 6:2 3:0 up,Chanda serving,she had ..*cough*..her usual lapse of concentration.At game point after thinking that her return wouldn't go in,she didn't even try to guess which way Chanda's forehand was going(imo it wouldn't matter cause Chanda hit an excellent forehand).In the next game,she was impatient :o (saw some wild shots) and was broken immediately.Kim broke back(not sure if it was a love game but she had triple bp).After that you could see that Kim's confidence was back and chanda's gone.And that was it.Final score 6:2 6:3.

Thanks to all the people who posted the articles. :kiss:
( :eek: @ the Conchi-Mandy score,goes to search for the match duration)

Does anybody know when they will play the doubles final?

Good luck Kim against Conchita!

duck
Mar 14th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the report!
Top seed indeed
Clijsters shows power in quick victory
By Patti Myers
The Desert Sun
March 14th, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INDIAN WELLS -- Kim Clijsters admits that itís difficult to prepare for her next match when her boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt is battling through a three-set match.

At Thursdayís Pacific Life Open, Hewitt topped Guillermo Coria with a long three-set victory before No. 3 Clijsters followed on the same court for a quarterfinal match against No. 12 Chanda Rubin.

It took Clijsters less than half the time to dismiss Rubin as the top seed knocked off the Louisiana native in 51 minutes, 6-2, 6-3. Hewittís match ran two hours and 35 minutes.

"I know for myself, I have to play my best tennis to beat Chanda," said Clijsters who will face Conchita Martinez in todayís semifinals. "Today, I did, but I donít really try to think about previous results of players. I just try to focus that day, that match at a time."

Although Clijsters was more comfortable in her quarterfinal-round match than she had at any other this week, she said while she waits to play, she sometimes sneaks a peak at what Hewitt is doing on court.

She played cards with her coach before her match because she says she usually gets nervous watching him play, especially in tight matches.

"I try not to focus too much because I know I have to prepare for my own match," she said. "I just do my own things, but once in a while I watch the score. I get nervous watching him so thatís not a great preparation for my own match."

Clijsters maintained her focus against Rubin from the start, but knew she had to tighten up against the tougher players.

She knew of Rubinís game, having met her four other times.

"I think when the opponents get better, Iím the type of player, I play better myself," said Clijsters, who now leads the head-to-head series 5-0. "Today was definitely the case. I knew if I was going to play like that (previous matches), I would have a really tough match."

Clijsters beat Fabiola Zuluaga, 6-3, 7-5, then faced Francesca Schiavone for a 7-5, 6-4 victory before knocking off Nathalie Dechy, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1.

Clijsters used her powerful serve against Rubin, the weapon she thought would give Rubin the most trouble. She also continued to move Rubin around, in an out of corners to open up the court.

"I think that was definitely a key point to serve well because she returns really aggressively and she likes to dominate the points very quickly.

"Once she gets into the rhythm, she can hit the ball down the line or cross-court. You start running, so it was really important to make her move from side to side."

Now that Clijsters has advanced into the semifinals, she says she feels better about her game than she did earlier in the week despite playing with some small injuries (quad strain, left knee tenderness). Sheís prepped for Martinez, who beat Amanda Coetzer Thursday night in straight sets.

"Conchita really moves the ball around better," she said "She mixes it up with a spin, with a slice. That can be tricky sometimes, I have to be ready for every point.

Today, the tables are turned on the Clijsters-Hewitt schedule. Clijsters plays the noon match, while Hewitt waits and will follow in his quarterfinal contest against Robby Ginepri.

KaseyL
Mar 14th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the articles and reports!

:eek: Coetzer out... I really was expecting Kim to be up against Coetzer now...a luck I didn't bet on it :D

Cilla
Mar 14th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Thanks for all the articles :D

Watch out for all those moonballs Kim :o ;)

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 14th, 2003, 02:10 PM
DUTCH
"IK BEN OP MIJN HOEDE VOOR MARTINEZ"

Voor Clijsters was het de overwinning tegen Rubin de gemakkelijkste tot nu toe in het tornooi. Ze toonde zich dan ook tevreden over haar spel. "Ik heb het veel beter gedaan dan in mijn vorige wedstrijden. Als de tegenstand beter wordt, word ik ook beter. Toch ben ik op mijn hoede voor Martinez. Ze brengt veel variatie in haar spel en dus is het steeds opletten geblazen."

Martinez, profspeelster sinds 1988, had ondanks de overtuigende 6-2, 6-1 score toch 1 uur en 24 minuten nodig om afstand te temen van Coetzer. De bijna 31-jarige Spaanse toonde zich verheugd nog eens de halve finales van een groot toernooi bereikt te hebben. "Dit is geweldig. Ik speel momenteel echt goed tennis en hoop nog te verbeteren."

Bron:www.sport.be

ENGLISH
"I'M WARY OF MARTINEZ"

For Clijsters was her win against Rubin de easiest so far in this tournament. She felt herself consequently really satisfied about her game. "I did a lot better then in my last matches. When the opponents become better, I become better. Still I am wary of Martinez. She has a lot of variation in her game en so you have to keep paying attention"

Martinez, a pro since 1988, needed despite a convincing 6-2, 6-1 score, still 1 hour and 24 minutes to take distance from Coetzer. The almost 31 year-old Spanish was pleased to reach once again a Semifinal of an important tournament. "This is incredible, I played really well so far and I still hope to improve."
Source:www.sport.be

I hope my translation is a little bit clear despite of my bad English...

Thea
Mar 14th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Hello everybody,

This is my first post :wavey: .
I just wanted to say to the Belgian and the Dutch Kim fans, that the match this evening wil be on tv LIVE!!!!

At 21 u belgian time!

Iīm gonna watch and hope she will win!!!!
Thea

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 14th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Hello everybody,

This is my first post :wavey: .
I just wanted to say to the Belgian and the Dutch Kim fans, that the match this evening wil be on tv LIVE!!!!

At 21 u belgian time!

Iīm gonna watch and hope she will win!!!!
Thea

Hi Thea :wavey:

Do you mean on Eurosport or is there an alternitave? Because I don't have it like 80% of the Flemish people I think...

Bigkimfan
Mar 14th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Go Kim!!!!!!!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!! Komaan Kim!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 14th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Yep let's do some positive cheering again :D

GOOOOOOOOOO KIM :hearts:
You can do it girl :kiss:

Reach your 4th final of the year :worship:
You rock :bounce:

We believe in You :lick: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Mar 14th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Kim Clijsters

March 13, 2003

K. CLIJSTERS/C. Rubin
6-2, 6-3

An interview with:

KIM CLIJSTERS

MODERATOR: Questions for Kim.

Q. Was that easier than you had anticipated?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Definitely. Definitely, because I was a bit worried with the way I was playing, you know, in my previous matches. I knew if I was going to play like that, I was going to have a really tough match.
I think when the opponents get better, I'm the type of player, I play better myself. Today that was definitely the case, yeah.

Q. What in particular were you happy with, that you did much better?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I think I was really happy with the way I served. I think that was definitely a key point I think, to serve well, because she returns really aggressively and she likes to, you know, dominate the points very quickly. So, yeah, I think the serve definitely was a key point today. And also to move her around, try not to play too much to the same corner. Once she gets into the rhythm, she can hit the ball down the line or cross-court. You start running. It was really important to make her move from side to side, try to open up the court.

Q. She's been on a hot streak. She's been playing really well. Did that concern you at all?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No. I mean, I don't really -- every match is different. It doesn't matter if an opponent is playing really good. It can change every day. You play different players every day. Of course, she's had a great tournament. She must have been playing good.
I know for myself that I have to play my best tennis to beat Chanda. Today I did. But I don't really try to think about previous results of players. I just try to focus on that day, that match, at a time.

Q. How comfortable are you at this point of the tournament?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, I'm really happy to have had this match because I played a lot better than my previous matches. So I'm definitely, you know, a lot happier than I was yesterday after winning that match.
I'm feeling good still, except for a few injuries here and there, little ones. But I feel good. Yeah, it depends on who wins tonight. I play Amanda or Conchita. We'll see.

Q. Obviously whichever one wins, you're going to have to be prepared to stay out there for quite a while.
KIM CLIJSTERS: I'll have to have enough hours of sleep to be fit for that one. I mean, I think they both play similar styles. Amanda, I think the only advantage she has is that she moves better than Conchita. On the other hand, Conchita I think really moves the ball around better. She mixes it up with a spin, with a slice. That can be very tricky sometimes.
You know, I have to be ready for every point.

Q. When you're waiting to play, particularly unusual today with Lleyton playing first, close match, do you find yourself watching the TV, forgetting to do your own things to prepare?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I try not to focus on it too much because I know I have to prepare for my own match. Yeah, I just do my own things. Once in a while I just watch the score. I was playing cards with my coach upstairs to just take the focus off of it a little bit. I do get nervous watching him play, especially the tight matches. So that's not a great preparation for my own match.
No, I think I manage all right to focus on my own stuff. It can be hard sometimes.

Q. He had a tough one today. You pretty much had an easy one. Is that something you talk about?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, not really. I mean, we don't go that deeply into conversations about tennis. I think that's why we both have our coaches, different coaches. We like to sort of -- that's their job to talk about the tennis stuff. Of course, I mean, it's not that we don't talk about tennis at all, but it's never that we really discuss any matches. I think we're happy to not talk about tennis once in a while.

Q. Do we know if you play day or night?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I don't know, no.

Q. Is there much difference in the conditions?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I mean, for me personally, I don't mind either of them. I see a lot better playing at night because you don't have that much trouble with the sun and stuff. On the other hand, I don't mind the heat. For some players, they really don't like to be out there for too long when they're playing in warm weather conditions. That can help you sometimes, as well.
I don't mind.

Q. You said something earlier about a couple little injuries. Anything to be concerned about for tomorrow?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No. I've been playing with tape on my leg for the last few days. That was sort of stopping me from going all the way in my movements. I've had a bit of a quad strain. You know, it's fine. I felt a lot better today playing without the tape because I felt like I could move freely. It was a lot better. Just my knee has been sort of flaring up. I have not tendonitis, but I don't know, physio talk words, a bit too long for me.

Q. Which knee?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Left one.

Q. Do you take antiinflammatories?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, I'm not a big fan of taking all that stuff. It will get better. I would much rather feel it. If you take the antiinflammatories, if it gets worse, without them I know how bad it is, then I'll stop. If you take them, you can make it worse. I sort of want to feel the pain a little built.

Q. Do you think too many players are dependent on drugs?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Oh, I have no idea. I don't know. I have no idea what other players take, if they take like Advil or whatever. I don't know. But I can only speak out of my experience. I don't like to take any of that stuff. I believe in all the natural healing and stuff. I'm not a big fan of all the pain killers and everything.

Kornelija
Mar 14th, 2003, 04:24 PM
thanks for the interview :worship:

I saw the match on TV. It was really good. Kim was way more consistent than before. Everything was going well:serve, strokes, movement. Her shots were much more sharper and better placed. I am so so happy about her win!!! Congratulations to both of them!!! :bounce:

Go Kim and beat Martinez and then win the title.
You deserve it!!! :worship: :worship:

pruts
Mar 14th, 2003, 06:00 PM
well done Kimmie! I'm glad she won after that hard match against Dechy. Good luck against Martinez kimmie :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

kit
Mar 14th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the articles and the interview!!!
Well done Lleyton and Kim!Kim played very well :)

Good luck Kim and Lleyton in your matches today and COME ON!!!

Come-on-kim
Mar 14th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Come On Kim

tennisIlove09
Mar 14th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Top seed indeed
Clijsters shows power in quick victory
March 14 2003
By Patti Myers
The Desert Sun

INDIAN WELLS -- Kim Clijsters admits that it’s difficult to prepare for her next match when her boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt is battling through a three-set match.

At Thursday’s Pacific Life Open, Hewitt topped Guillermo Coria with a long three-set victory before No. 3 Clijsters followed on the same court for a quarterfinal match against No. 12 Chanda Rubin.

It took Clijsters less than half the time to dismiss Rubin as the top seed knocked off the Louisiana native in 51 minutes, 6-2, 6-3. Hewitt’s match ran two hours and 35 minutes.

"I know for myself, I have to play my best tennis to beat Chanda," said Clijsters who will face Conchita Martinez in today’s semifinals. "Today, I did, but I don’t really try to think about previous results of players. I just try to focus that day, that match at a time."

Although Clijsters was more comfortable in her quarterfinal-round match than she had at any other this week, she said while she waits to play, she sometimes sneaks a peak at what Hewitt is doing on court.

She played cards with her coach before her match because she says she usually gets nervous watching him play, especially in tight matches.

"I try not to focus too much because I know I have to prepare for my own match," she said. "I just do my own things, but once in a while I watch the score. I get nervous watching him so that’s not a great preparation for my own match."

Clijsters maintained her focus against Rubin from the start, but knew she had to tighten up against the tougher players.

She knew of Rubin’s game, having met her four other times.

"I think when the opponents get better, I’m the type of player, I play better myself," said Clijsters, who now leads the head-to-head series 5-0. "Today was definitely the case. I knew if I was going to play like that (previous matches), I would have a really tough match."

Clijsters beat Fabiola Zuluaga, 6-3, 7-5, then faced Francesca Schiavone for a 7-5, 6-4 victory before knocking off Nathalie Dechy, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1.

Clijsters used her powerful serve against Rubin, the weapon she thought would give Rubin the most trouble. She also continued to move Rubin around, in an out of corners to open up the court.

"I think that was definitely a key point to serve well because she returns really aggressively and she likes to dominate the points very quickly.

"Once she gets into the rhythm, she can hit the ball down the line or cross-court. You start running, so it was really important to make her move from side to side."

Now that Clijsters has advanced into the semifinals, she says she feels better about her game than she did earlier in the week despite playing with some small injuries (quad strain, left knee tenderness). She’s prepped for Martinez, who beat Amanda Coetzer Thursday night in straight sets.

"Conchita really moves the ball around better," she said "She mixes it up with a spin, with a slice. That can be tricky sometimes, I have to be ready for every point.

Today, the tables are turned on the Clijsters-Hewitt schedule. Clijsters plays the noon match, while Hewitt waits and will follow in his quarterfinal contest against Robby Ginepri.

~|Naomi|~
Mar 14th, 2003, 09:34 PM
I have not tendonitis, but I don't know, physio talk words, a bit too long for me.

That is soo cute :angel:

But it is good to hear she doesn't have tendonitis as that would be awful

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 14th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Kim won :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Another final for kimmy :hearts:

Good luck in both finals kimmy :bounce: :worship:

Bigkimfan
Mar 14th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Kim won!!!!!! She played VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Komaan Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Mar 14th, 2003, 09:58 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :D

another final! hehe

thanks for the articles!

tennisIlove09
Mar 14th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Here's a stunning record:

I think Kim has been in the finals of every event except for 3 since the US Open

[semi loss to Myskina indoor fall event]
[quarter loss to Davenport indoor fall event]
[semi loss to Serena Australian Open]

Amazing!

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 14th, 2003, 10:02 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030314/capt.1047677777indian_wells_caps109.jpg

Top seeded Kim Clijsters, of Belgium, celebrates after winning a point against Conchita Martinez, of Spain, in the semi-finals of the Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells, Calif., Friday, March 14, 2003.

KaseyL
Mar 14th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Here's a stunning record:

I think Kim has been in the finals of every event except for 3 since the US Open

[semi loss to Myskina indoor fall event]
[quarter loss to Davenport indoor fall event]
[semi loss to Serena Australian Open]

Amazing!
Yep, time for another title! (touch wood she will)

angele87
Mar 14th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Kimmie :D :D Good luck tomorrow :D :kiss:

KaseyL
Mar 14th, 2003, 11:41 PM
source: Sportsnetwork, March 14, 2003

Clijsters levels Martinez to reach Pac Life final

Indian Wells, CA (Sports Network) - World No. 3 Kim Clijsters blasted former Wimbledon champion Conchita Martinez of Spain on Friday to reach the lucrative final at the $2.1 million Pacific Life Open.

The top-seeded Clijsters dispatched the 26th-seeded Martinez in 6-3, 6-2 fashion at the sprawling Indian Wells Tennis Garden. The high-flying Belgian will meet the Jennifer Capriati-Lindsay Davenport victor here on Sunday.

Martinez, who was ranked as high as No. 2 in the world at the end of 1995, was the 1994 Wimbledon winner.

Clijsters will appear in her fourth final of the year in only her fifth tournament of 2003. She is 1-2 in her previous finals, with a title coming in Sydney and runner-up finishes coming in Antwerp and Scottsdale. The Belgian bested the former world No. 1 Davenport in the Sydney title match.

The 19-year-old is a brilliant 20-3 this season, with two of the setbacks coming against the world's top-two stars -- Serena and Venus Williams. The young Belgian was stunned by Japan's Ai Sugiyama in the title match in Scottsdale the week before this Indian Wells event got underway. She lost to Serena in the Australian Open semis and gave way to Venus in the Diamond Games championship match in her native Belgium last month.

Clijsters, the 2001 Indian Wells runner-up to Serena, is 11-9 in her career finals.

KaseyL
Mar 14th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Source: BBC, March 15, 2003

Clijsters through in California

Pacific Life Open, Indian Wells

Top seed Kim Clijsters defeated Spaniard Conchita Martinez 6-3 6-2 to reach the final of the Pacific Life Open on Friday.

In reaching her fourth final of the year, the 19-year-old Belgian was simply to strong and too quick for the 30-year-old Spaniard, who was treated for blisters in the first set.

"I felt good and played really well," said Clijsters. "I waited for those points where I could attack and worked myself into points very well."

Since winning the Sydney title, Clijsters has embarked on a series of near misses. She made the semi-finals of the 2003 Australian Open, where Serena Williams beat her in three sets.

She also reached the final of Antwerp, where she lost to Venus Williams, and the final of Scottsdale last week, but lost again, this time to Japan's Ai Sugiyama.

Clijsters will play the winner of the Jennifer Capriati v Lindsay Davenport match.

KaseyL
Mar 14th, 2003, 11:50 PM
source: Channel News Asia, March 14, 2003

Clijsters overwhelms Martinez to reach Indian Wells final

Top seed Kim Clijsters reached the final of the US$2.1 million WTA Masters Series event with a straight set victory over Spaniard Conchita Martinez at Indian Wells on Friday.

The 19-year-old from Bree, Belgium, pounded the former Wimbledon champion 6-3, 6-2, advancing to her second final at Indian Wells.

She lost to Serena Williams two years ago.

"I felt good and played really well," said Clijsters, who has only one title (Sydney in January) this year despite her run of success.

Clijsters will play the winner of the other semi-final which is an all-American match-up featuring number four seed Lindsay Davenport against second seed Jennifer Capriati.

The owner of 11 career singles titles, Clijsters stretched her record over Martinez to 2-1 and used her powerful groundstrokes to move Martinez from side to side.

Clijsters, a semi-finalist at the Australian Open the last two years, was in top form, serving at 74 percent and breaking 30-year-old Martinez's serve four times.

She also hammered 70 winners. :)

Cilla
Mar 15th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Congrats Kim :D

Good Luck in yet another singles and dubs final :D

possie
Mar 15th, 2003, 01:41 AM
She also hammered 70 winners. :)

Well done Kim :bounce: :bounce:
Best of luck in the final! :kiss: :kiss:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 15th, 2003, 02:02 AM
Good Luck for the final Kim :bounce: I sooo hope you can win it :bounce:

70 winners :eek: :eek: That is a lot :D

angele87
Mar 15th, 2003, 02:30 AM
70 winners :eek: :eek: Is that right??? That would mean over 4 winners per game :eek: I just check the match stats and Kim only won 72 points which would mean that Conchita would of only had 2 errors :eek:

Hawk
Mar 15th, 2003, 03:21 AM
I don't think that 70 winners is right..that sounds like too many :confused:

spiritfullfrog
Mar 15th, 2003, 06:45 AM
:bounce: Good Luck Against Lindsay Kim!!! :bounce:

Elleke
Mar 15th, 2003, 06:55 AM
good luck Kim!! :):D

Kornelija
Mar 15th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Congrats Kim!!! :worship: :bounce: Very nice match. Keep it up!!! :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 15th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Come On Kim beat Lindsay in the doubles tomorrow as a good warm up for your singles

You know you can beat her, Good Luck, hope you play well :bounce:

tennisIlove09
Mar 15th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Can Clijsters Regain Her Confidence in the Desert?
By Matthew Cronin, at Pacific Life Open

INDIAN WELLS- When third ranked Kim Clijsters steps onto the court on Sunday for the final of the Pacific Life Open, it will be the third straight tournament she will have pounded her way to the final day.

But in her last two tournaments, she has failed to come through. In Antwerp, Venus Williams over powered her. In the final of Scottsdale last week, Ai Sugiyma wore her down. She looks like the world’s best player when the Williamses aren’t around, but both Capriati and Davenport aren’t afraid of her.

The 19-year-old Belgian is 0-3 against Capriati and is 4-6 against Davenport. While Clijsters has beaten Davenport three out of the last four times they played, Clijsters is obviously a better player than she was when she last faced Capriati – a three-set loss in the 2002 Aussie Open quarters. But Kim still has to prove that she is clearly better than the veterans.

Clijsters has not played brilliantly in the desert, but has battled valiantly and played intelligently. In her 6-3 6-2 blowout over Spaniard Conchita Martinez on Friday, she played smart, patient tennis. When Conchita tried to bait her early, she grabbed the hook in her ran, ran with the line around the net and snared Conchita in her own trap.

Martinez tried to confuse Clijsters with her usual assortment of varying pace and spin, but Clijsters simply hit through her. Clijsters ended the contest with 26 winners to only 12 from Martinez and committed 31 unforced errors to 41 from her foe.

"I played really well," said Clijsters. "I waited for those points where I could attack and worked myself into points very well. Conchita has so much experience and knows how to work herself into a match. She tries to break her opponent down. If you get frustrated she can take over the match. I was very focused."

Clijsters is learning to win ugly, which is extremely important when you play as many tournaments as she does. Before her wins over Chanda Rubin in the semis and then against Martinez here, she was struggling.

"Before Chanda, I had to fight for every rally," she said. "It’s a lot more fun playing like this, doing with the ball what I want. In the previous matches, I didn’t have any feeling at all. I’m the type of player to raise my level compared to whom I’m playing. For my next match, I’ll have to raise it even a little bit more."

Unlike the Williamses, Clijsters isn’t always positive that she can drop down a level and regain it in the blink of an eye. But she keeps the faith that the level that she showed in winning the season-ending Home Depot Championships and for much of the Australian Open will return.

"You do worry [it will never come back] but on the other hand, I’ve been playing so well since Fildertstadt (last October) that you cannot keep it going. I was playing so well and moving so well and everything was so easy that I knew one day I would play worse again. That’s when you have to keep working hard and your mental strength plays a big part, too."

When Clijsters has beaten Davenport, it’s been because she has served very well and managed to lengthen points, where she can use her speed to her advantage.

"Lindsay is the type of player that if she’s on she can play unbelievable,’ Clijsters said. " She can hit the ball so clean. Her weaker point is her movement. You have to take advantage of that and return well. From the first point of the rally you have to get into an advantageous situation and try to do more with a return.

In her three matches against Jennifer, Kim has been very close to taking out the American, but has failed on the big points. They play a lot a like, with their best weapons being their forehands and tremendous conditioning.

Clijsters has a better serve than Capriati does, but Jennifer’s backhand is more than a weapon. Three-time Grand Slam champ Capriati has proven her self to be amore accomplished big match player, while Clijsters moves quicker.

It should be a heck of a match if they play and it sounds like that Clijsters really wants another crack at Capriati.

"I'm more consistent than I was then," she said. "I’d like to play her again. It’s always nice to play players you haven’t played in a while. I have to be aggressive on her serve because she can get a little shaky. Bu she moves well and hits the ball very clean."

Ashie_87
Mar 15th, 2003, 08:28 AM
:wavey:
:worship: GOOD LUCK KIMMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

:bounce: GO GET 'EM! :bounce:

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 15th, 2003, 08:52 AM
From the official site

Clijsters Reaches Second Final at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden

Just as US Army General Tommy Franks has a plan to combat the worst Saddam Hussein can throw at him and his American troops, so too did Kim Clijsters come prepared for Conchita Martinez's trademark moonballs in the Pacific Life Open semifinals Friday. Clijsters, a finalist here in 2001, played with patience and composure to win 6-3, 6-2.
"I think I found a good balance between defending a few balls as well, like when she was looping them up," Clijsters said. "I just tried to spin balls back. I tried to open up the court, not from the first ball, but after working my way into the point."

Clijsters, who also dropped just five games against Chanda Rubin in the quarterfinals, said that she was nearing peak form for the final after a sluggish start to the tournament. "I think the match against Chanda, I played well. That was sort of the match where my level changed, I think. But the previous matches, I just had to fight for every rally. You know, it's a lot more fun playing like this at the moment, doing with the ball whatever I want to do."

In the final - her fourth of the 2003 season - Clijsters will play the winner of tonight's semifinal between Jennifer Capriati and Lindsay Davenport. Clijsters, who won the Sydney title in January, improved to 20-3 on the season with her victory Friday..

Come-on-kim
Mar 15th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Come On Kim!!!!!!!! Congrats Win Both Titles!!!!!!!!

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 15th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Clijsters, Davenport to meet in Indian Wells final
March 14, 2003
Source:www.wtatour.com

Getty Images

Indian Wells, CA (Sports Network) - Kim Clijsters and Lindsay Davenport will meet for the title at the Pacific Life Open on Sunday after each posted semifinal wins on Friday at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.

The top-seeded Clijsters dispatched 26th-seeded Conchita Martinez of Spain, 6-3, 6-2 in the afternoon match. The fourth-seeded Davenport then earned a 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 triumph over second-seeded Jennifer Capriati in the night match.

Davenport took the first set with a pair of breaks, but struggled mightily in the second with 26 unforced errors to Capriati's six.

The decisive set remained on serve until Davenport broke for 3-2. Capriati broke right back and took the next game for a 4-3 edge, but Davenport easily held and followed with a break at love to serve for the match.

Capriati, though, first needed medical treatment for a leg problem and left the court for about 10 minutes. It didn't faze Davenport, who fell behind 15-30 but won the next three points to secure the match.

Davenport improved to 8-2 lifetime against Capriati and will try for her third Indian Wells crown. She previously won the title in 1997 and 2000.

Clijsters will appear in her fourth final of the year in only her fifth tournament of 2003. She is 1-2 in her previous finals, with a title coming in Sydney and runner-up finishes coming in Antwerp and Scottsdale. The Belgian bested Davenport in the Sydney title match.

The 19-year-old is a brilliant 20-3 this season, with two of the setbacks coming against the world's top-two stars -- Serena and Venus Williams. The young Belgian was stunned by Japan's Ai Sugiyama in the title match in Scottsdale the week before this Indian Wells event got underway. She lost to Serena in the Australian Open semis and gave way to Venus in the Diamond Games championship match in her native Belgium last month.

Clijsters, the 2001 Indian Wells runner-up to Serena, is 11-9 in her career finals.

Martinez, who was ranked as high as No. 2 in the world at the end of 1995, was the 1994 Wimbledon winner.

The 2003 Pacific Life titlist will claim $332,000

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 15th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Kim Clijsters Friday's Interview From The Official Site

March 14, 2003
K. CLIJSTERS/C. Martinez

6-3, 6-2

An interview with:

KIM CLIJSTERS

MODERATOR: Questions for Kim.

Q. You didn't seem at all baffled by that assortment of stuff she hit you?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, no, I knew that those are -- she's got so much experience. I'm sure, you know, that's the way she's turned already a lot of matches around in her career. And I knew that I had to stay focused and just focus on myself. Whenever she was, you know, taking some more time or waiting to get another ball or whatever, taking a time-out, I knew that I just had to focus on myself and not make those easy mistakes like I did in the first three points, I think.
You know, I had to rally and just choose the right ball to finish it off.

Q. Where were you in 1994 when she won Wimbledon?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I was nine (laughter), or I was 11.

Q. Were you watching? Would you have seen it?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I can't remember, no.

Q. It wasn't memorable, in other words?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No. I'm not sure, sorry.

Q. Part of the thing today, playing her, was being very patient, even though sometimes it's tempting to take her balls and try to hit winners?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, I think I did that really well. I think I found a good balance between defending a few balls as well, like when she was looping them up. Just tried to, you know, hit like a few spin balls back. I tried to open up the court, you know, like not from the first ball, but just work your way into the point.
Whenever I was getting a short, higher ball coming in, I'd take it as quick as possible on the rise, just hit it to the corner. When you hit it to the same corner against her, she can really move you around and you can start -- at one stage, you just start defending all the time.
You have to make sure that you keep in control of the rallies, that you move well. You have to stand perfectly for every shot, for every spin she hits, for every slice she hits. You have to be in the perfect position every time. I think that was really important today.

Q. She seemed to have some problems with her feet. How much do you think that affected her?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, you know, it's always -- especially when it's so hot and everything, I don't know if it was blisters or I'm not sure what it was. The feet are probably, you know, the two body parts that have to take most of the suffering I think when you're playing in these type of weather conditions. You know, a lot of players in the changing rooms are having problems with their feet, having blisters, callouses, anything. They have to take a lot of things, I think.

Q. You haven't played your best tennis early in the week, early in the tournament you weren't playing your best. You seem to be playing a little bit better, a little bit smarter. Are you pretty satisfied that you've actually gotten to the final?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Oh, definitely. Even the matches I won, I think the one against Chanda, I played well. That was sort of the match where my level changed, I think. But the previous matches, I just had to fight for every rally. You know, it's a lot more fun playing like this at the moment, doing with the ball whatever I want to do.
In the previous matches, I didn't have that feeling at all. Yeah, but I feel good. I think, like I said yesterday, I'm the type of player, I raise my level compared to the player I'm playing. For my next match, I'll have to raise it even a little bit higher. I hope I can do that.

Q. When you don't have that feeling, do you start saying, "What's going on here?" Do you worry it will never come back?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, you do, but on the other hand I've been playing so well already for the last few months, you know it cannot keep going. I've been playing, I mean, ever since Filderstadt really well. I've been feeling the ball well, I've been moving well. I knew, you know, while I was playing so well, everything was going so easy, I knew one day, you know, I was going to play worse again. That's the time where you just have to keep working hard, you know, keep fighting.
I think your mental strength then plays a big role, as well. You just have to keep working, keep trying to win those matches whether you're playing your best tennis or not.

Q. This is your third straight final now between Antwerp and Scottsdale and here. You lost the last two. Are you going to approach it differently mentally?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, I don't think so. I take every match seriously, very seriously. Doesn't matter if it's a final or a first round. I try to win every match I play. Yeah, I mean, I'm not going to do anything differently than what I've been doing. I'm very superstitious, as well. I like to keep everything the same. You know, first I have the doubles tomorrow. That will be fun, too.

Q. What superstitions do you have this tournament?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, anything. I just like to, you know, eat the same things. I like to, you know, go to bed at the same time. The hotel, as well. Yeah, I like to, you know, whatever, you know, sit on the same couch. Just little things. It can get really bad sometimes (laughter). I'll tell myself, "Kim, this is becoming a joke, it's getting that bad."
No, you know, I just try to -- yeah, I'm not going to say all the things I do because you'll think I'm crazy otherwise (laughter). Just a few things here and there before the match. I like to have my drinks ready before I go out to practice. I like to be prepared well ahead of time, before my match starts.

Q. What's the current meal that you're eating?
KIM CLIJSTERS: It's broccoli, pasta, but it's all together, a little bit of tomato sauce, not too much, a little bit of garlic.

Q. Not bad.
KIM CLIJSTERS: It's great.

Q. Every day you've eaten that?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah. I mean, not just -- I mean, just for lunch, before my match or after my match.

Q. Does that change from tournament to tournament?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yes, it does.

Q. When you get to Miami?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I'll be sick of it after this tournament (smiling).

Q. You mentioned natural healing the other day. What did you mean by that?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, you know, I really believe in, yeah, like you said, natural healing. I'm not the type of person -- I mean, I don't think I've ever taken, unless when I was younger, like my mom gave me, antibiotics. I'm just completely against all that stuff. Yeah, I read a lot of books about it. I watch a lot of -- I buy a lot of DVDs about all-natural healing and medication and anything. It just keeps me interested, as well. Here in America, there's a lot of stuff on TV about it, as well.
So, yeah, I think it's really interesting. And you learn a lot of things out of it. I try to write them down.

Q. Is that like Andrew Weil, that sort of thing?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Sorry?

Q. There's a physician here in the United States who is very popular.
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, I haven't heard of her yet.
But I try to read books in Belgium about cleaning your body. I'm building a house in Belgium, things to keep everything, you know, whatever, no carpets, for allergies and things like that. It's fun. When you're in the room by yourself, I have a few hours off, I like to read about those things and write them down. Yeah, I mean, something to do.

Q. How many times a day do you wash your hands?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Oh, a lot. Especially now because there's so many viruses going around here and stuff.

Q. 10, 15?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Oh, I have no idea. I don't count. It's not that bad. I'm not that superstitious (laughter).
But, yeah, especially now with all the viruses and stuff, I try not to touch the stairs or anything, yeah.

Q. Have you tried to convince Lleyton of some of these things?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I tell him sometimes. Also with food and stuff, I'm pretty healthy. But he likes his hot dogs and hamburgers. I think he's like a pretty average American person.

Q. Australian.
KIM CLIJSTERS: Both, Australia and America. But, you know, he likes the french fries. But he's a lot better. I've sort of gotten him to the good way of eating a little bit healthier.

Q. Have you convinced him to eat the broccoli?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, he eats broccoli. He likes broccoli.

Q. Can you talk about Lindsay and Jennifer both.
KIM CLIJSTERS: I was having fun talking about all this other stuff (laughter).

Q. Sorry. We'll talk about how you think they should change their diets.
KIM CLIJSTERS: I played Lindsay last time in Sydney, I think. I haven't played Jennifer in a while actually. But I don't know. You know, Lindsay is the type of player, if she's on, she can play unbelievable. She can hit the ball so clean. Her weaker point is probably her movement still. You have to try to take advantage of that and return well. From the first point of the rally, you have to really, you know, try to get into an advantage situation, try to, you know, do a little bit more with the return.
If I play Jennifer, yeah, you know, also try to be aggressive on the serve, because she can get a little bit shaky I think on the serve. But, you know, she moves well, she hits the ball very clean. You know, but, yeah, I don't know who I prefer to play. I don't know.

Q. You've never beaten Jennifer.
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, never.

Q. Three times. But last time was 2002 Australia. You think maybe your game has gone up to maybe match her?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I think so. I think I'm more consistent than what I was then. But, you know, every match has to be played. But I'd like to play her again. You know, it's been a while. It's always nice to play players that you haven't played for a while. It gets a bit boring if you play them every week and stuff. But, no, I would like to play Jennifer again, yeah. But I would like to play Lindsay, too. Maybe I can play them both.

Q. You seem to be a crowd favorite here. In the final, who do you think will be the crowd favorite? What effect will that have on you?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, sure I'm going to play an American anyway. Of course, we're playing in America. I think, you know, Lindsay, she's always been, you know, I think very, very popular, as well. And even Jennifer, as well. It's not really that I focus about it. When you're playing. Of course, it's nice if you have the crowd support. When I was playing in Antwerp, it was nice to have the support there.
For me it really makes me play better and it really makes me, you know, get a few more points and be a little bit sharper, I think.
But I assume when I'm playing an American, you know, I think -- I'm playing in America, as well, so I think, you know, the crowd will be going for, yeah, Lindsay or Jennifer.

Q. Wasn't quite that way when you played here in the finals two years ago.
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, no, it wasn't.

Q. Can you talk a bit about that, your first final here, how that might have helped your game or confidence.
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, it was -- it's never happened to me ever, before that or ever since then. It was an experience. It was definitely an experience, something that I really did not expect. Yeah, I mean, it's something -- at the time, you know, I still remember walking out on the court. It was like, "Whoa, what's happening?"
You sort of forget about it, you know, when it's all over. You know, at the time when I'm playing , of course, it was nice for me, but on the other hand I didn't feel very -- it wasn't nice for Serena at the time I think, yeah.

Q. Do you feel that the fans were in a way justified or not justified in terms of their actions?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, you know, it's hard for me to, you know, comment about those things. But if someone's injured, you know, and if you see them compete against each other now, Venus and Serena, they have probably the best matches, if you saw the finals at the Australian Open, they have the best matches I think that we've seen in a while of them.
Yeah, but I don't -- I don't really know what happened then either. I don't know, because I wasn't here. I was arriving half an hour later, just assuming I was going to come and watch one of my opponents. Then they said that she retired a little before they had to go out on court.
On the other hand, I think for the tournament, it was a very negative thing, I think. On the other hand, you know, players -- things happen. We warm up before a match. If something happens in the warm-up, you never know what happens.

Elke
Mar 15th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Thanks, Toon!
some parts are pretty funny! :)

Elleke
Mar 15th, 2003, 03:10 PM
great interview! :d:)

duck
Mar 15th, 2003, 04:59 PM
A bt from Lindsay's interview. Classy lady.

Q. Kim has turned the table on you lately. She's obviously gotten better over the last year. What are you going to have to do this time?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think she probably has turned the table on a lot of players. Her level the last few months has dramatically improved. Her ability to play the bigger matches has improved quite a bit. We've had some close matches. For me, I mean, she gets more balls back than most girls get back. It's sometimes just those extra few balls that you have to keep going for. Hopefully can I keep my patience up there and pick the right shot to go for. I think her backhand is one of the best out there. I mean, I think I'm going to have to probably try and attack her forehand a little bit, take my chances with some second serves. But, you know, I'm just going to have to be ready to come in and try and take some balls out of the air and not let her keep getting balls back.

Q. Continue to bang, bang, bang away?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I got to, I think. I don't think I can last with these girls out there that don't miss (laughter).

Stefke
Mar 15th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Wooohooow another final!!!:eek:
Way to go Kimmy:bounce::worship:
Proud to tell you: Tomorrow, 21.00 on Canvas, LIVE coverage of the final!!!
For not-Belgians: Sorry if I make you jealous!!:p

Bigkimfan
Mar 15th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Good luck Kim!!!!!!!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!

Komaan Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

josefien
Mar 15th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Now Kim definitely can't lose this one, not since Davenport told the press she'll attack Kims forehand because her backhand was one of the best out there! Correct me if I'm wrong, but could it be that Davenport is a bit confused ?? Isn't it the other way around ?? But what the heck,
great for KIm, sssh, don't tell Lindsay!!

Thea
Mar 15th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Hi Thea :wavey:

Do you mean on Eurosport or is there an alternitave? Because I don't have it like 80% of the Flemish people I think...

I'm sorry...

I have tried three times yesterday to respond to your repley...but my computer rejected....
I thought that Canvas would broadcast the match against Martinez...but it was only on the teletekst....sorry if I got your hopes up...

Please forgive me....
Thea

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 15th, 2003, 07:23 PM
I'm sorry...

I have tried three times yesterday to respond to your repley...but my computer rejected....
I thought that Canvas would broadcast the match against Martinez...but it was only on the teletekst....sorry if I got your hopes up...

Please forgive me....
Thea

You don't have to feel sorry; Thea :)

But not nice to here you were having problems to post :(

And feel free to post more. Every Kimfan is more than welcome here :bounce:

AND GO KIM. Good Luck against Lindsay :D

Thea
Mar 15th, 2003, 07:34 PM
You don't have to feel sorry; Thea :)

But not nice to here you were having problems to post :(

And feel free to post more. Every Kimfan is more than welcome here :bounce:

AND GO KIM. Good Luck against Lindsay :D

By the way....Lleyton is 2 point away from winning the first set....! :D

kit
Mar 15th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Good luck Kim and Lleyton today!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Holiday
Mar 15th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Lleyton won!! :worship: (hopes for a Lleyki love double ;) )
Did anyone see the match? Was Kim watching?

Micky
Mar 15th, 2003, 10:02 PM
both those interviews were great. i loved it when lleyton said

Q. She(Kim) says she's trying to some degree to convince you to eat things like broccoli and stuff, instead of the hot dogs.

LLEYTON HEWITT: I don't mind the hot dogs. Yeah, I think she watches what she eats a lot better than I do. I can't believe she dobbed me in. I'm actually not that bad. I've improved a hell of a lot since I was 14, 15, 16. Yeah, the vegetables, they're not bad, but not the best thing.

also loved this:
Q. You do know about being world No. 1?

LLEYTON HEWITT: I know that I'm world No. 1, yes (laughter). ;)

spiritfullfrog
Mar 15th, 2003, 10:17 PM
Good Luck Kim & Lleyton!!!

A Lleyki victory would be so good! ;)

spiritfullfrog
Mar 16th, 2003, 02:53 AM
This really hasn't got that much to do with Indian Wells, but it seems the most appropriate place to put it! Feel free to move it!!! :D

Tennis: Clijsters content to be third in line (From the "Sunday Herald"

Eleanor Preston finds the world No 3 happy to take advantage when the Williams sisters are elsewhere

When your sport is dom inated by two all- conquering, Grand Slam winning powerhouses, it can't be much fun being third. Just ask Kim Clijsters. The Belgian, who takes on Lindsay Davenport in the Pacific Life Open today, is currently world No 3 and has been trying to swim in the wake of the Williams sisters since the start of the year, with varying degrees of success.

The Williams aren't even in Indian Wells this week but they are certainly in southern California in spirit. Barely has a day gone by without Clijsters having to field questions about life behind the Williams and whether she has any hope of breaking their stranglehold on women's tennis.

Earlier this week Clijsters put the whole thing into perspective. She did it with a grin but her tone of voice betrayed the faintest hint of suppressed irritation. 'In your mind how far away is the No 1 ranking?' she was asked. 'Two spots,' she answered. 'And how far is that gap?' the journalist continued gamely. 'Huge,' she said.

Win or lose today against Davenport, that gap will be a little less huge thanks to the points she has earned this week, but there is still a chasm between her and Venus in No 2 position. Serena is so secure in the No 1 place it would take something seismic to unseat her.

Clijsters knows that her only chance of catching either Williams sister is if they failed to defend the ranking points they earned last year. Serena won the French Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open, with Venus runner-up in all three.

The problem for Clijsters is that, save for events like this where they choose not to play, catching them will be an uphill struggle even if she wins a Grand Slam title herself. Clijsters is the only current player to have beaten both Williams sisters, having dispatched one after the other on her way to winning the WTA Championships at the end of last year. Prior to that, Martina Hingis was the last person to manage it, at the 2000 Australian Open.

The parallels with Hingis are worrying. After years of trying, and failing, to keep up with the Williams, she now appears to have given up playing tennis rather than keep fighting an unwinnable battle. Before injuring her foot and opting out of tennis, Hingis kept her ranking high by winning routine WTA Tour events like this. She picked up 35 of those titles, (aside from her five, pre-Williams Grand Slam trophies) and, for the most part, she could be relied upon to clean up when the Williams were elsewhere.

Beating Davenport today will be a significant scalp for Clijsters, and should provide yet another indication that in a parallel, Williams-free universe she would probably be the best player of her generation, just as Hingis once was.

Sensibly -- and she is a resolutely sensible girl -- Clijsters has been worrying about herself this week and not sparing a thought for absent friends or enemies. She seems determined to avoid Hingis' fate and let frustration get the better of her.

'You know, I don't really care how far I am from No 1. That is not a goal in my tennis career,' she said. 'I know for myself that I give everything I have for every match I play, for every practice, for anything I do. If you work hard you can get the best out of yourself. If it doesn't get you to No 1 then who cares? I did the best that I could do in my career so far. You know, to be No 3 is even out of my expectations. When I was younger I remember watching Jennifer playing the French Open [Clijsters went on to play Capriati in the French Open final in 2001] and that's huge. I was thinking 'I hope one day I will be able to play in the Grand Slams'. Even when I was in the juniors I never worried about rankings. They don't really matter. The most important thing is to be healthy because that makes you capable of playing. I try to be disciplined with everything that involves tennis, then we'll see how high I can go. That's what I've been doing. I'll keep doing that and see where it ends.'

This week that discipline has been present both on and off the court. On the court, particularly in the early rounds, she has often looked exhausted yet determination has pulled her through. She has now made the final of three tournaments on the trot (she was runner-up in Antwerp and Scottsdale before coming to Indian Wells) and says that feeling tired from playing a lot of matches is the price of that success.

Off the court, she has been revealing a rather eccentric approach to nutrition by eating the exact same meal every day, with the obsessiveness typical of superstitious athletes the world over.

'I am superstitious; I like to keep everything the same. I like to eat the same things, go to bed at the same time, and sit on the same couch. I'm not going to say all the things I do because you'll think I'm crazy,' she said, laughing.

Her meal of choice this week has been pasta, tomato sauce and broccoli. If the Williams were here, she might have needed spinach. They are both due to return to action next week, at the Nasdaq-100 Open in Miami, yet another event which Serena won last year. Both Clijsters and Davenport will be anxious to take advantage of their absence while they can.

spiritfullfrog
Mar 16th, 2003, 02:59 AM
Another article about Kim (& her superstitions!)

Final, final, final
March 15 2003
By Leighton Ginn
The Desert Sun

INDIAN WELLS -- The kitchen at the Pacific Life Open will need to keep the pasta stocked and the broccoli fresh for another two days after Kim Clijsters defeated Conchita Martinez 6-3, 6-2 on Friday in the semifinals of the Pacific Life Open.

After her victory, Clijsters admitted to being superstitious, eating a recurring lunch of broccoli, pasta with a little tomato sauce and garlic.

Itís one of several superstitions Clijsters has. Among others, Clijsters said, are going to bed at the same time to sitting on the same couch.

"It can get really bad sometimes," Clijsters said, laughing. "I tell myself, ĎKim, this is becoming a joke. Itís getting bad.í

"Iím not going to say all the things I do because youíll think Iím crazy otherwise. Just a few things here and there before the match."

Whatever Clijsters has been doing, itís been working. Sunday will be Clijstersí third consecutive championship match following Antwerp and Scottsdale.

"Sheís playing great tennis, sheís one of the great players out there," Martinez said. "She was playing at a high level and she did no wrong."

And Clijsters played well against Martinez, a player she struggled with in the past.

Martinez used an array of spins and lobs Friday, which can test a playerís patience.

"Sheís got so much experience, Iím sure thatís the way sheís turned a lot of matches around in her career," Clijsters said. "I knew that I had to stay focused and just focus on myself. Whenever she was taking some more time or waiting to get another ball or taking a timeout, I knew that I just had to focus on myself and not make those easy mistakes like I did in the first three points.

"I had to rally and just choose the right ball to finish it off."

Martinez said she was happy with her semifinal showing and is optimistic for the rest of the year.

"I feel like Iím coming back to the high level Iíve played," the 30-year-old Martinez said. "Thatís not easy when youíre playing 15, 16 years. Itís a great tournament, and I have to pick it up, and when I play these matches, pick it up to get closer and maybe win some of these."

nm_cb
Mar 16th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Kim's singles match is second on stadium, before Hewitt, then her doubles is after Hewitt.

There has been some type of delay in the Guga match. Not sure what though.

Aussie_Kim
Mar 16th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Wooohooow another final!!!:eek:
Way to go Kimmy:bounce::worship:
Proud to tell you: Tomorrow, 21.00 on Canvas, LIVE coverage of the final!!!
For not-Belgians: Sorry if I make you jealous!!:p

:sad: You don't sound sorry!!! We aussies don't even get
Lleyton's final. :sad:

Aussie_Kim
Mar 16th, 2003, 06:26 AM

Q. She(Kim) says she's trying to some degree to convince you to eat things like broccoli and stuff, instead of the hot dogs.

LLEYTON HEWITT: I don't mind the hot dogs. Yeah, I think she watches what she eats a lot better than I do. I can't believe she dobbed me in. I'm actually not that bad. I've improved a hell of a lot since I was 14, 15, 16. Yeah, the vegetables, they're not bad, but not the best thing.

also loved this:

Where did u get the Lleyton interview from? Is it from the Pac Live website? I can't find it & it looks good.

~|Naomi|~
Mar 16th, 2003, 07:01 AM
We aussies don't even get

It is on Foxtel isn't it?
At least they have showed all his other mathces live, they are showing Miami live too
But it really annoys me that they only show the men's matches and instead of showing a women's match live they show a replay of a boring men's match

spiritfullfrog
Mar 16th, 2003, 07:11 AM
It is on Foxtel isn't it?
At least they have showed all his other mathces live, they are showing Miami live too
But it really annoys me that they only show the men's matches and instead of showing a women's match live they show a replay of a boring men's match

Foxtel are showing the men's final (LIVE)!! :D
The coverage starts at 4:30am and goes till 8:00am!!

I and pissed as well about Foxtel replaying the guys matches that have already been on, when they could be showing GREAT women's tennis! :fiery: Also a couple of afternoon's ago, they were showing a review of last years Wimbledon cause there was a women's match on! I mean COME ON!!

But I spose since Foxtel didn't buy the rights to show the women's matches, they're not allowed!!

Stupid FOXTEL!! :mad:

I wonder if Optus Sports was still on, whether they'd show the women's tennis!?!?! :confused:

spiritfullfrog
Mar 16th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Where did u get the Lleyton interview from? Is it from the Pac Live website? I can't find it & it looks good.

It is from the Pacific Life Open website, and seeing as you can't find it, here it is!

LLEYTON HEWITT
MODERATOR: With the win today, Lleyton advances to his third straight semifinal here in Indian Wells, and improves his career record to 16-4 at this tournament.
Questions for Lleyton.

Q. And also reserves his world No. 1 ranking, although yesterday you said you aren't that concerned about it. I suspect it's quite nice, an addendum to the result?
LLEYTON HEWITT: It's nice, but you're going to lose it some week. Doesn't really bother me. You know, I didn't come to Indian Wells to try and hold on to my No. 1 ranking; I came here to win the tournament.
I'm still in with a good chance. I'm through to the semis now. Four matches down, two to go. That's pretty much where my thinking's at.
I played better today. I'm happy with the way that, you know, I came out and won the match efficiently, got on and off the court pretty convincingly.

Q. Most comfortable one this week?
LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah. Yeah, I guess, you know, because I didn't lose serve for the whole match, I kept my nose in front once I got up a break. You know, I saw a little bit of Robby's match yesterday. He played extremely well. He was full of confidence, had nothing to lose out there today. He started better today than he did against me in Cincinnati.
When I was able to get up that one early break in the first set, I think his confidence got sort of a little bit of a dent in there and his game sort of went away a little bit.

Q. Nine in a row for you. Could this be the roll we talked about in Scottsdale?
LLEYTON HEWITT: I don't know how long it's going to keep going. But was it nine in 11 days I've won now. That's a lot of tennis. You know, you throw in the doubles that I played as well as making the final there. I played a lot of tennis. I've got that match toughness going now, match hardened. I'd like to keep it going.
You know, you've got to take it one step at a time, though. Don't want to get carried away because you're on a winning streak, you're going to keep going. Go out there with an open mind and play as well as you can.

Q. But the confidence and mental toughness are there?
LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah. It's hard to lose it, I guess, when you go out there to play and you've won nine matches in 11 days. You realize that. I realize that I've come through a couple of pretty tough matches, especially this week against El Aynaoui and Coria.
You know, I know I've got a couple tough ones under my belt and I survived those.

Q. Are you feeling now like you're unbeatable?
LLEYTON HEWITT: No, not really. Not unbeatable. I don't think anyone's unbeatable. I feel like my confidence is high at the moment. I feel like I can beat anyone on any given day, yes. But unbeatable, you know, I think you can leave that to Tiger.

Q. Just commenting on the point of nine in 11 days, et cetera. As a streak like that continues, is there the risk of somehow that putting pressure on you?
LLEYTON HEWITT: Not really, no. Not for me. I see every match as a challenge, as a new challenge. You know, I'm not putting any more pressure on myself. I'd much rather be, you know, nine in a row going into this semifinal tomorrow than, you know, making the quarters or the semis and losing in Scottsdale.
So for me to have that winning feeling going, I've had it a few times going, you know, winning Adelaide and Sydney back to back, doing well in those tournaments. I've had it in the Queen's, Rosmalen, Wimbledon time frame. I know how that sort of winning streak goes. I like the feeling of it, having that confidence on your side.

Q. How about your match with Spadea coming up?
LLEYTON HEWITT: You've got to take your hat off to Vince. Hell of an effort for what he's done. The way that he's come back after losing so many first rounds there for a while, he obviously broke the drought against Rusedski at Wimbledon. We really didn't see him for a while after that. He was playing the challengers and the futures. The way he's bounced back and gone about his business very quietly, sort of got his ranking back up there, it's pretty amazing.

Q. Have you played him before?
LLEYTON HEWITT: Yes.

Q. Where was the last time?
LLEYTON HEWITT: At least twice, maybe more.
MODERATOR: Two times.
LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, he's a tough competitor. He's not going to give anything away. He moves very well, has a good baseline game. He passes well, counterattacks very well. I'm not going to worry about his game too much. I'm going to go out there and play my game and hopefully I'm not going to have to change too many things. If I do, then I do.

Q. If you didn't think about No. 1 all week, did you think about it today beforehand?
LLEYTON HEWITT: No.

Q. Was it afterwards you thought about it?
LLEYTON HEWITT: I don't think about it at all. I couldn't care less. As I said before, I didn't come here for No. 1. I'm going to lose it some week, doesn't bother me when.

Q. Do you hear it when they announce you as world No. 1?
LLEYTON HEWITT: I hear some of the things they say. It's pretty hard not to (smiling).

LLEYTON HEWITT: I know that I'm world No. 1, yes (laughter).

Q. That's got to be a good feeling.
LLEYTON HEWITT: It's not bad. When they say former world No. 1, that's not a bad feeling I don't think either. I'm sure Pete, Rios, guys that have been No. 1, I don't think they mind being called the former world No. 1.

Q. You mentioned Vince is sort of going about his business nicely and smoothly. Do you feel the same yourself, the fact that the pressure is off, you're not in Australia, not in the spotlight, and here you can go about your business a little bit more not casually as such, but without the burden or the pressure, pressure, pressure?
LLEYTON HEWITT: It's definitely not as much pressure I guess coming from the media and expectation from the media I think more than anything. But, you know, that's natural. You know, that's up to Andy and James and whoever else they want to put it on here in America.
Everyone has that, all the top guys. When they go back to their home country, it's like Tim in June, me in January.

Q. Do you feel as perhaps relaxed in this part of the year as you do anywhere? Your results would suggest you probably do.
LLEYTON HEWITT: I like the stretch. You know, Scottsdale, even San Jose last year, Indian Wells, Miami, I've always loved these tournaments. I think the courts suit me, the weather, the conditions. Great hotels. You know, the climate, everything out here, I think everything's pretty easygoing. For me I can really enjoy, you know, those outside things I guess at these tournaments.

Q. Couple games of golf this week?
LLEYTON HEWITT: I had nine holes on Monday afternoon. I would have liked to have had more. I can't do much about it at the moment.

Q. Kim was in here earlier talking about her superstitions.
LLEYTON HEWITT: Oh, yeah?

Q. Sitting on the couch at the hotel, going to bed at the same time, what she eats.
LLEYTON HEWITT: Fair enough. I didn't know about those.

Q. She says she's trying to some degree to convince you to eat things like broccoli and stuff, instead of the hot dogs.

Q. She said that you have improved.
LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, I'd say, you know, during tournaments and that, I eat as well as any player out there. It's more so my weeks off. I think that sometimes I let myself, you know, let go a bit - ice cream, chocolate, those kind of things. I love to go to the footy and have a hot dog and chips, mate. Tonight as well.

Q. Can you pick one American under 25 at this point that you think could really rise to the top? Who do you think it would be?
LLEYTON HEWITT: It's impossible with injuries or whatever. The two front-runners are obviously Roddick and Blake. They're the two front-runners. You know, it depends. A lot depends on I guess who gets a big breakthrough at a Slam first, and then can really take off from there, as well. But, you know, both guys can handle the big situations very well. You know, they've both proved -- I don't know what Blake's ranking is, but I'm sure he can get in the Top 10 pretty soon. And Andy's already 5 or 6 in the world. That's not bad anyway. That's not a bad start.

Q. Do you have any superstitions?
LLEYTON HEWITT: Not really.

Q. Nothing?
LLEYTON HEWITT: No.

Q. Lie to us.
LLEYTON HEWITT: I don't have any. I can't think of any anyway.

Kim_for_number_1
Mar 16th, 2003, 10:37 AM
thanx for the interview! lleyton :D

and good luck to both kim and lleyton!!! hope they both win :hearts:
and hope they'll broadcast the match since it moved... (anybody knows? :confused: )

Sarah
Mar 16th, 2003, 02:47 PM
:fiery: :fiery: Any Belgians knowing something about broadcasting on Canvas??!? :confused:

I hope there will be coverage... guess I better not get my hopes up.. :sad:

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 16th, 2003, 02:52 PM
:fiery: :fiery: Any Belgians knowing something about broadcasting on Canvas??!? :confused:

I hope there will be coverage... guess I better not get my hopes up.. :sad:

No they won't... :mad: :fiery: :mad: :fiery:

Here's the proof :mad:
http://193.121.55.225/pages/ttt1SRve_c.gif

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

ikke
Mar 16th, 2003, 03:16 PM
pfff, :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:
I really, really wanted to see the match :mad: :sad:

Stefke
Mar 16th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Ok now I'm going craaaaaaaazzzzzzzy!!!!
And mad:mad::fiery:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

valentine
Mar 16th, 2003, 04:07 PM
I don' t know if you have AB3 but they'll broadcast the final...

kit
Mar 16th, 2003, 05:15 PM

also loved this:

Sorry,a stupid quetion,but what's the meaning of dob in? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Bigkimfan
Mar 16th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Go Kim!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: Good luck against Davenport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

KOMAAN KIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Mar 16th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Kim just took the first set 6-4

kimmekefan
Mar 16th, 2003, 07:49 PM
6-4 5-4 for kim...

spiritfullfrog
Mar 16th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Double Match Point!!! :d:d:d:d:d

spiritfullfrog
Mar 16th, 2003, 07:56 PM
SHE WON!!!!!!!!!

:worship: :worship: :worship:

KaseyL
Mar 16th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Dancing :)
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Congrats, Kim!

kimmekefan
Mar 16th, 2003, 07:58 PM
congratulations to Kim!!!

Gefeliciteerd Kim!!!!!!!

kimmekefan
Mar 16th, 2003, 07:59 PM
congratulations to Kim!!!

Gefeliciteerd Kim!!!!!!! :worship:

angele87
Mar 16th, 2003, 08:36 PM
Congratulations Kim :kiss: Very well done :D :bounce:

Come-on-kim
Mar 16th, 2003, 08:54 PM
CONGRATS KIMMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

Now win doubles!!!!

Lynnsha
Mar 16th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Congrats Kim. Now take the double title!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim_for_number_1
Mar 16th, 2003, 09:05 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: KIM :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 16th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Well Done Kimmie :D I am soooooo happy :D

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 16th, 2003, 09:11 PM
1 more match to win kimmy :)

Good luck :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Take your 4th title in doubles this year :kiss:

angele87
Mar 16th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Clijsters Wins Pacific Life Open Title
25 minutes ago

By KEN PETERS, AP Sports Writer

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. - Kim Clijsters mixed lobs, volleys and pinpoint groundstrokes to beat Lindsay Davenport (news) 6-4, 7-5 Sunday at the Pacific Life Open for her second title of the year.

AP Photo

Davenport, a former No. 1 still working her way back from last year's knee surgery, made 39 unforced errors ó 12 more than the top-seeded Clijsters.

Clijsters also won the Sydney tournament in January.

Davenport was denied an unprecedented third Indian Wells championship; she won the event in 1997 and 2000.

Clijsters showed her versatility on a point in the 10th game of the second set, when she sent Davenport scrambling with a cross-court forehand, followed with a lob that made Davenport backpedal, next hit a drop shot that forced Davenport toward the net, then won the point with a forehand passing shot.

Davenport could only shake her head.

Clijsters' boyfriend, top-ranked Lleyton Hewitt, faced Gustavo Kuerten (news) of Brazil later in the men's final.

Former No. 1 Kuerten beat Rainer Schuettler 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 in their rain-delayed semifinal earlier Sunday. After playing almost two full sets in the morning, the three-time French Open (news - web sites) champion had only two hours between the end of his semifinal and the start of the final.

Kuerten and Schuettler had to wait overnight to complete their match, which was suspended Saturday night after a wait of nearly 5 1/2 hours. Skies were overcast Sunday, but there was no rain.

Kuerten won the first set Saturday, and Schuettler took the first game of the second set before rain halted play.

Hewitt got a full 24 hours between his semifinal and the final. He beat qualifier Vince Spadea 7-6 (5), 6-1 Saturday afternoon.

The 22-year-old Australian is the defending champion at Indian Wells, and is coming off a victory last weekend at Scottsdale, Ariz.

gokimmie
Mar 16th, 2003, 09:18 PM
:bounce: w :bounce: o :bounce: o :bounce: h :bounce: o :bounce: o :bounce: k :bounce: i :bounce: m :bounce: m :bounce: i :bounce: e :bounce:

KaseyL
Mar 16th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Source: BBC, March 16, 2003

Clijsters dominates Davenport

Pacific Life Open

Kim Clijsters overcame Lindsay Davenport 6-4 7-5 to win the Indian Wells crown - her second WTA singles title of 2003.

The Belgian top seed overpowered Davenport with powerful baseline shots, exhausting her with cross-court rallies during the one-hour, 26-minute match.

Clijsters, who collected $332,000 for her 12th WTA career singles title, spoiled the American's hopes of becoming the event's first three-time champion.

The 19-year-old broke Davenport's serve five times, kept her serve at 70% and hammered 24 winners in total.

The fourth seed struggled with her serve throughout, making 10 double faults. She also hit 36 unforced errors.

Clijsters won a poor first set in which both players struggled, but she broke Davenport three times, winning five of the last six games.

The second set was almost a repeat of the first, with Davenport jumping out to another early lead by breaking Clijsters in the third game.

But Davenport double faulted on the final point of the sixth to allow Clijsters back in it at 3-3.

The American survived a match point in the 10th game of the second set before Clijsters closed it out two games later when Daveport's forehand sailed wide.

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 16th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Clijsters Outguns Lindsay in Final
Source: Official Site

High-spirited 19-year-old Kim Clijsters claimed her first Pacific Life Open title Sunday with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Lindsay Davenport. World No.3 Clijsters, who fell to Serena Williams in the 2001final, improved to 21-3 on the year by claiming her 15th career WTA title.
Davenport, tournament champion in 1997 and 2000, was attempting to become the first three-time champion in Indian Wells.

Top-seeded Clijsters, who has now won four of her past five meeting with Davenport since the beginning of 2002, dropped just one set en route to victory (against Nathalie Dechy in the round of 16).

Davenport and Clijsters exchanged four breaks in the first six games of the match. The Belgian broke a third time to take the set 6-4. In the second set Davenport saved a match point on serve at 4-5 and then had three break points in the following game for the opportunity to go ahead 6-5. But Clijsters held serve and then broke Davenport to close out the match.

Davenport said: "There's no question, she is the reason why I didn't play great. I mean, she hits the ball with different spins, some hard, some soft, very consistent, gets a lot of balls back.

"She definitely has been the most improved player. I've said that for a number of months now. Once you break through and start winning titles, it gives you a lot more confidence to keep on doing that. She moves the ball around the court very well, can hit the ball pretty much every spot. Like I said, she's very athletic and gets a lot of balls back.

"I think now she's just playing a lot smarter and a lot more confident than before, where she would maybe miss some balls or lose her concentration. Now she really seems to be focused for the entire match."

KaseyL
Mar 16th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Source: Fox Sports (Au.), March 17, 2003

Clijsters wins Indian Wells

TOP seed Kim Clijsters has crushed Lindsay Davenport 6-4 7-5 to win the $US2.1 million ($3.54 million) WTA Indian Wells Masters Series crown, her second title of the year.

The 19-year-old Belgian overpowered the fourth-seeded American with powerful baseline shots, exhausting Davenport with cross-court rallies during the one-hour, 26-minute match.

Clijsters picked up the winner's cheque worth $US332,000 ($559,204) for her 12th WTA career singles title. She spoiled Davenport's hopes of becoming the first three-time champion here.

Clijsters, who is ranked third in the world behind absent superstar sisters Serena and Venus Williams, served 70 per cent and broke Davenport's serve five times. She hammered 24 winners.

This was the fourth final of the year for Clijsters, who won at Sydney and was a finalist at Antwerp and Scottsdale.

Davenport struggled with her serve throughout, making 10 double faults. She also had 36 unforced errors.

Clijsters won a sloppily played first set in which both players struggled. Clijsters broke Davenport three times in the first set and won five of the last six games.

Clijsters got off to a slow start, surrendering her first two service games as Davenport took a 3-1 lead early. But Davenport's game fell apart in the second half of the set when she double faulted five times.

The second set was almost a repeat of the first, with Davenport jumping out to another early lead by breaking Clijsters in the third game.

But Davenport double faulted on the final point of the sixth game to allow Clijsters to climb back in it at 3-3.

Davenport had also double faulted on the final point of the sixth game in the first set to level the set.

Davenport survived a match point in the 10th game of the second set before Clijsters closed it out two games later when Davenport's forehand sailed wide.

Davenport still owns a 6-5 edge in the career rivalry with Clijsters, who has won four of their past five matches.

Their most recent prior meeting was in Sydney in January with Clijsters winning in straight sets.

Davenport has made an impressive comeback after having knee surgery in January 2002. She has three Grand Slam titles and an Olympic gold medal from the 1996 Atlanta Games.

Agence France-Presse

KaseyL
Mar 16th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Source: Sky Sports, March 16, 2003

CLIJSTERS DRINKS DEEP AT INDIAN WELLS

Clijsters: Too good

Top seed Kim Clijsters used her speed and a powerful attack to down fourth seed Lindsay Davenport 6-4 7-5 to win the Pacific Life Open on Sunday.

In winning her second title of the year, the third-ranked Clijsters stood strong in a seesaw contest during which Davenport took huge cuts at the Belgian's second serves and Clijsters ran down nearly every ball.

The top seed came back from 3-1 down in the first set, breaking the American for 3-3 when Davenport committed one of her 10 double faults on the day.

In an extraordinary game with Davenport serving at 4-5, the 19-year-old Belgian needed four set points to win the set, finally taking it when she laced a backhand crosscourt winner.

Davenport again jumped out to a 3-1 lead in the second set, but Clijsters continued to more than hold her own in vicious forehand rallies and broke back for 3-3 when Davenport again double-faulted.

Clijsters had her first match point with Davenport serving at 5-4, but the American responded with a 103-mph service winner.

Davenport had three break points at 5-5, but Clijsters saved all three. The American fought off another match point at 5-6 with an inside out forehand winner, but on Clijsters' third match point, Davenport buried an overhead into the net.

KaseyL
Mar 16th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Source: Sports Network, March 16, 2003

Clijsters downs Davenport for Indian Wells crown

Indian Wells, CA (Sports Network) - Kim Clijsters earned her second title of the 2003 season with a straight-set victory over Lindsay Davenport in Sunday's final of the Pacific Life Open at Indian Wells.

The top-seeded Clijsters posted a 6-4, 7-5 triumph and claimed her 15th career WTA title. The 19-year-old Belgian won this event for the first time. She lost to Serena Williams in the 2001 title match.

Davenport, who won at Indian Wells in 1997 and 2000, was bidding to become the first three-time champion of this event. She committed 39 unforced errors on Sunday to 27 for Clijsters.

Clijsters has been the most dominant player on the women's circuit this year, reaching a tournament final for the fourth time in five tries. She also beat Davenport to claim the championship in Sydney, but lost to Venus Williams in Antwerp and fell to Ai Sugiyama in Scottsdale two weeks ago. The only time she didn't reach a final was at the Australian Open, where eventual champion Serena Williams knocked her out in the semifinals.

"She definitely has been the most improved player," Davenport commented. "I've said that for a number of months now. Once you break through and start winning titles, it gives you a lot more confidence to keep on doing that. She moves the ball around the court very well, can hit the ball pretty much every spot. Like I said, she's very athletic and gets a lot of balls back."

On Sunday, Davenport and Clijsters traded a pair of service breaks each in the first six games, but Clijsters broke again to take the first set.

Davenport saved a match point on her serve at 4-5 and went on to win the game, then failed to convert three break points against Clijsters' serve in the next game. Clijsters broke Davenport again to finish the match.

Davenport still leads the series, 6-5, but Clijsters has won four of the last five meetings.

Elke
Mar 16th, 2003, 10:13 PM
thanks for the articles!:D
*sending a red Ciney to Ingrid to celebrate!:d:cool:*

KaseyL
Mar 16th, 2003, 10:19 PM
thanks for the articles!:D
*sending a red Ciney to Ingrid to celebrate!:d:cool:*

LOL thanks :kiss: , you've remembered ;) (but err I'm celebrating with something even stronger right now... :lick: )

KaseyL
Mar 16th, 2003, 10:25 PM
btw do you realise that Kim is over 1000 points ahead of Juju and is closing in on V! :bounce:

a bit from what Kim said today:
she thanked her coach, said that she knew how difficult a person she is, and that she always beats him with playing cards :p

(source: Belgian public TV station VRT)

angele87
Mar 16th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Kim's a sweetie, I'm sure she's not difficult :angel: :D

KaseyL
Mar 16th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Kim's a sweetie, I'm sure she's not difficult :angel: :D

dunno, all week broccoli LOL, and how was it again? forcing lley to eat veggies? :p

Q. A friend of yours was saying she likes pasta with broccoli. Does she ever push that on you?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Oh, sometimes. Not that often. :D

kimclijsters4ever
Mar 16th, 2003, 10:39 PM
1 set away from the double for kim...

Kim/Ai won the first set 6-3 :bounce:

KaseyL
Mar 16th, 2003, 11:22 PM
from the tournament's site

Lleyton Follows Kim's Lead

The Pacific Life Open 2003 turned into a bonanza for partners Lleyton Hewitt and Kim Clijsters, with the duo winning the men's and women's singles titles at the same tournament for the first time.

Appearing in her fourth final of the year, Clijsters won the women's final, defeating Lindsay Davenport 6-4, 7-5.

Defending champion Hewitt defeated Gustavo Kuerten 6-1, 6-1 in a ruthless display to win the men's title. It was his 19th career ATP title and the fifth time in his career that he had defended a title. Kuerten became the first non-American to appear in all four North American Tennis Masters Series finals.