PDA

View Full Version : Kim is too nice!!

jenglisbe
Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:14 AM
I mean, we all love Kim because she is so nice :p , but I think it's hurting her tennis. Look at this quote from her post-match interview today:

``She didn't make many mistakes,'' Clijsters said. ``She played too good today.''
Kim was up 4-2 and then served for it at 5-3, and she lost both leads because of her own mistakes. Until Kim develops a killer instinct (if she ever does), she will never get beyond a #3 ranking, and probably won't win many (any?) majors. I see her having a Sabatini-like career - not bad, but not as good as she could be.

It's weird, though...you don't want Kim to be mean just to win at tennis, since life is more important, but can she be a killer on court and then still this nice off court?

Pinkie
Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:34 AM
I mean, we all love Kim because she is so nice :p , but I think it's hurting her tennis. Look at this quote from her post-match interview today:

Kim was up 4-2 and then served for it at 5-3, and she lost both leads because of her own mistakes. Until Kim develops a killer instinct (if she ever does), she will never get beyond a #3 ranking, and probably won't win many (any?) majors. I see her having a Sabatini-like career - not bad, but not as good as she could be.

It's weird, though...you don't want Kim to be mean just to win at tennis, since life is more important, but can she be a killer on court and then still this nice off court?

Here's a question for you: why be so negative? I noticed that you posted a "Kim can't close out matches" response in the Scottsdale thread too. I mean, everyone is entitled to their opinion and if Kim plays poorly (like she did today; I think her forehand took the day off) that has to be said. But there's no need for all this negativity: in the four tournaments Kim has played this year, she has gotten one win, two finals and a GS semi-final. That is awesome by any standards. She has also crossed the 4000 points mark and goes into a spring in which she has hardly any points to defend. Heck, in IW she has a 2nd round to defend! So my point is, Kim has done really well so far in the year. Losing is part of a tennis player's career. Most of the time you will lose at some point during a tournament. As fans we shouldn't beat up on her whenever she 'only' gets to a final.

Hawk
Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:35 AM
Well said Pinkie..I think that sums the whole thing up :)

Elke
Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:43 AM
Rather be too nice than too arrogant!;):p

That's also a reason why we are a Kimfan, bec she's a nice girl, and like she always says, there's more in life than a tennismatch!

jenglisbe
Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:55 AM
There are definitely positives for Kim this year, but I am looking to Kim to be the real threat to the Williams sister - but for that to happen she has to learn to close matches. That's all I am talking about.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Mar 3rd, 2003, 05:13 AM
There are definitely positives for Kim this year, but I am looking to Kim to be the real threat to the Williams sister - but for that to happen she has to learn to close matches. That's all I am talking about.

Jen, I have always thought that Kim can be too nice. She has a history. But she doesn't worry me as much as Henin, cleary!!

caseyl45
Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:04 AM
Give Kim a break -- she's still just 19. She's going to have periods like this where she isn't playing her best tennis -- everyone does.
Actually, I think she's doing pretty well for herself right now -- especially compared to other players at the same point in their careers. We're coming up on the fourth anniversary since Kim's Tour debut, and she's all ready ranked third in the world. If you look at Steffi Graf, Jennifer Capriati, and the Williams sisters at the same point in their careers, you'll find that they weren't ranked so highly. Yes, Kim's older than they were, but it's still impressive to think about -- four years after her tour debut, she's ahead of where four number one players were four years after their tour debuts (in terms of ranking).
There's nothing wrong with analyzing and comparing, but sometimes we tend to take things a little far. Kim loses a few matches, and suddenly people are worrying about whether she's a choker, whether she's too nice, etc. and they forget that she is, in terms of experience, a kid who still has a lot to learn.
And for the record, no, I don't think Kim's too nice, not on the court anyway. I think that she does a great job of switching from being so friendly into that more competitive mode once she gets on the court.
This was a very weird tournament because of the weather, she's not playing quite as well as she was at the end of last year, she came up against an opponent who was playing extraordinarily well, and she lost. It happens, and I think that it's part of the maturing process. You have to lose matches like this in order to improve, and I think this experience is only going to help Kim in the future. That's the kind of player she seems to be -- the kind that tries to take the positives from all of her matches instead of focusing on the negatives.

irma
Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:21 PM
"If you look at Steffi Graf, Jennifer Capriati, and the Williams sisters at the same point in their careers, you'll find that they weren't ranked so highly. Yes, Kim's older than they were, but it's still impressive to think about "

steffi in march 89 (I am going wich age) was a grand slam champion (the big one) and number 1 the world.

just have to point that out ;)

Kornelija
Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:46 PM
well at first guys I suppose we shouldn't blame Kim for her kindness and say it's the reason why she lost.

I am very shore it was a bit different. She to tell the truth didn't play well. It was a horibble ups and downs match. She was sometimes at a loss and didn't know where to hit the ball. Many silly mistakes :sad:
This was the reason why she lost. I think she didn't really get enough to train because of this rainy weather they had in Arizona the whole week. She probbably was not 100 % because of the cold she had and she didn't practice that mutch just to avoid serious complicatios. And by the way I noticed her toutching her right arm. Hope it's no the beginning of a new injury. :confused: The serv didn't also help her at all.

Thouhg I sometimes have some strange thoughts about her mental strength. Sometimes it seems to me she plays better agains better players. She maybe didn't really thought Ai could have such a lucky day and didn't expect such a consistent play from her doubles partner. Or maybe this partnership was the case???

Anyways I LOVED KIM, I LOVE HER AND I WILL DO IT FOR ALL THE YEARS SHE PLAYS TENNIS. I really like her personallity and attitude. She is always the best for me and it really doesn't bother me if she has one title less. The most important is to see her playing some nice tennis and enjoying it!!! :)

KIM, YOU ARE THE BEST!!! :worship:

Lleykimmy1
Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:08 PM
Anyways I LOVED KIM, I LOVE HER AND I WILL DO IT FOR ALL THE YEARS SHE PLAYS TENNIS. I really like her personallity and attitude. She is always the best for me and it really doesn't bother me if she has one title less. The most important is to see her playing some nice tennis and enjoying it!!! :)

Exactly the same for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigkimfan
Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:06 PM
Did anybody see if Kim was disappointed??

possie
Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:30 PM

And. . . .same for me :) :)

Everyone has made some good points

That's also a reason why we are a Kimfan, bec she's a nice girl, and like she always says, there's more in life than a tennismatch!

She really does have a great personality and attitude, both on and off the court. She is a beautiful person, and I'll always be a fan :angel: :angel:

KaseyL
Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:03 PM
And. . . .same for me :) :)

Everyone has made some good points

She really does have a great personality and attitude, both on and off the court. She is a beautiful person, and I'll always be a fan :angel: :angel:

ditto that

caseyl45
Mar 4th, 2003, 01:53 AM
"If you look at Steffi Graf, Jennifer Capriati, and the Williams sisters at the same point in their careers, you'll find that they weren't ranked so highly. Yes, Kim's older than they were, but it's still impressive to think about "

steffi in march 89 (I am going wich age) was a grand slam champion (the big one) and number 1 the world.

just have to point that out ;)

I was thinking more in terms of where they were compared to Kim after their fourth seasons on tour. At the end of their fourth seasons on tour, Graf was ranked #6 (1985), Capriati was #9 (1993), Venus was #5 (1998), and Serena was #6 (2000).
Technically, last year was Kim's fourth season, and she ended up fourth in the rankings, but in my first post, I used this May as the end her fourth year, because it will have been four years since her tour debut (1999 Antwerp). She'll most likely still be third in the rankings in two months.
You're right, though. If you go by age, these players, outside of Capriati, were ahead of Kim. I probably didn't word that very well.