PDA

View Full Version : Sugiyama Wins Two Matches To Claim State Farm Title

Mr. Man
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:01 AM
Sugiyama Wins Two Matches
To Claim State Farm Title

.c The Associated Press

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (March 2) -- Enduring more bad weather, Japan's Ai Sugiyama won her semifinal match Sunday and then beat Kim Clijsters 3-6, 7-5, 6-4 for a hard-earned title in the State Farm Women's Tennis Classic.

The final was delayed 45 minutes by rain and hail that arrived just before the start of the third set.

Saturday's semifinal between Sugiyama and Alexandra Stevenson was rained out, so the players came back Sunday, and Sugiyama won 6-7 (2-7), 6-2, 7-6 (9-7). By the end of her match against Clijsters, Sugiyama had played six sets to get her fourth WTA title.

"I felt tired when I was playing,'' she said. "Actually, it worked good, because I didn't feel pressure because I was too tired. I just focused on every point.''

Sugiyama still wasn't done. She and Clijsters are doubles partners, and they had to play in the semifinal, which also was held over from Saturday. If they win that match, Sugiyama will have the option of coming back and playing the final on Monday. A WTA rule requires the player's permission to play more than three matches in a day.

Sugiyama, ranked 25th in the world, last won a singles title in 1998, when she captured the Gold Coast in Australia and the Japan Open.

"Last time I won a tournament was Tier III,'' Sugiyama said. "This is Tier II, a big tournament. I just couldn't believe it. Today's tennis was maybe my best match ever.''

Leading 2-1 in the third set, Sugiyama broke service to take control. The victory raised Sugiyama's career mark to 3-2 against Clijsters, who's ranked third in the world.

"She didn't make many mistakes,'' Clijsters said. "She played too good today.''

03/02/03 20:32 EST

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Produced by SportsLine

jenglisbe
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:11 AM
Look at that last sentence
``She didn't make many mistakes,'' Clijsters said. ``She played too good today.''
Kim was up 4-2 and then served for it at 5-3, and she lost both leads because of her own mistakes. Until Kim develops a killer instinct (if she ever does), she will never get beyond a #3 ranking, and probably won't win many (any?) majors. I see her having a Sabatini-like career - not bad, but not as good as she could be.

Chance
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:16 AM
I wish I saw the match because I'm getting mixed up reports.

Anyhoo Congratualtions Ai
Kim sweetie- better luck next time

xan
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:24 AM
Is this another choke by Kim?

Elke
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:34 AM
No choke, she never had a huge lead.
Kim played bad.
Ai played well, and she was the only one who deserved to win.

bis2806
Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:14 AM
yay!!!! kim lost :)

schris
Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:35 AM
2 wins in one day :worship:

What a tournamant it was for Ai !!! :eek: :D

CONGRATULATIONS

Harju.
Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:15 PM
Congrats Ai :bounce: Now she is back to top 20 :bounce:

Great to know that Davenport lost to the eventual winner :p