PDA

View Full Version : 2013 - 6/8 - Andrea's Asian Swing 2013

KatjaS
Aug 27th, 2013, 04:43 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/67/Andrea_Petkovic_at_the_2012_US_Open.jpg/202px-Andrea_Petkovic_at_the_2012_US_Open.jpg?uselang=de

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cc/Nuvola_Korean_flag.svg/15px-Nuvola_Korean_flag.svg.png KDB Korea Open - Seoul, Korea http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cc/Nuvola_Korean_flag.svg/15px-Nuvola_Korean_flag.svg.png
16 September - 23 September
Hard Court | International | $500,000

R1 - Francesca Schiavone def. Andrea Petkovic 6-1 2-6 6-4

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/Nuvola_Japan_flag.svg/15px-Nuvola_Japan_flag.svg.png Toray Pan Pacific Open - Tokyo, Japan http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/Nuvola_Japan_flag.svg/15px-Nuvola_Japan_flag.svg.png
22 September - 28 September
Hard Court | Premier 5 | $2,369,000

R1 - Andrea Petkovic def. Elena Vesnina 4-6 7-6 6-4
R2 - Simona Halep def. Andrea Petkovic 7-6 6-3

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e5/Nuvola_Chinese_flag.svg/15px-Nuvola_Chinese_flag.svg.png China Open - Beijing, China http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e5/Nuvola_Chinese_flag.svg/15px-Nuvola_Chinese_flag.svg.png
28 September - 06 October
Hard Court | Premier Mandatory | $5,185,625

R1 - Andrea Petkovic def. Victoria Azarenka 6-4 2-6 6-4
R2 - Andrea Petkovic def. Svetlana Kuznetsova 4-6 6-4 6-1
R3 - Lucie Safarova def. Andrea Petkovic 6-4 6-7 7-6

KatjaS
Sep 2nd, 2013, 07:52 AM
If I see it correctly, she's currently 5 withdrawals away from making the MD in Tokyo.

45 Görges
46 Beck
47 Hantuchova
48 Oprandi
49 Vögele
50 Petkovic

With Julia being the last one in, but I thought Oprandi had retired/was at least out for this season, so it might be only 4.

KatjaS
Sep 8th, 2013, 10:45 PM
It's Andi's birthday today. :)

Happy 26th! :bdaycake:

ozza
Sep 9th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Hi,

Just checking in. Sharapova is almost certainly out of Tokyo and Beijing so that is one withdrawal.

Katja do you know if she is playing Linz and Luxembourg? Thank you.

Finally thank you Katja for setting up these threads. I like the format :).

Happy Birthday Petko :aparty:! I hope she has a year of much success :).

S-T-E-V-E
Sep 9th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Hi,

Just checking in. Sharapova is almost certainly out of Tokyo and Beijing so that is one withdrawal.

Katja do you know if she is playing Linz and Luxembourg? Thank you.

Finally thank you Katja for setting up these threads. I like the format :).

Happy Birthday Petko :aparty:! I hope she has a year of much success :).

Just checked her Homepage and Andrea will play Linz and Luxembourg :)

KatjaS
Sep 9th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Her homepage hasn't been the most reliable source for tournament scheduling in the past, but it would really surprise me if she doesn't play them. In Linz she gets along well with the TD and in Luxembourg she has SF points to defend. Plus they're both "almost home" tournaments.

Dorien.
Sep 10th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Andrea in Luxembourg :hearts: That's great news.

KatjaS
Sep 10th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Spiceboy is finally back and Petko is confirmed for Linz & Luxembourg ozza. :)

As for Tokyo, she is not on the Q list, but I think she could still get in if she makes the MD with withdrawals. Hantuchova is already in and Oprandi injured (I think?) it could be only 2 withdrawals needed:

47 Hantuchova
48 Oprandi
49 Vögele
50 Petkovic

KatjaS
Sep 11th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Sharapova's out of Tokyo and Vögele is in, so she is most likely only one more withdrawal away from making the MD.

49 Vögele
50 Petkovic

matthias
Sep 12th, 2013, 03:08 PM
and she will be seeded in Seoul, #7 i guess

KatjaS
Sep 14th, 2013, 07:44 AM
(7)Petkovic v Schiavone
Razzano v Dominguez Lino
Watson v Date-Krumm
Q v (2)Kirilenko

OK I guess.

matthias
Sep 14th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Could had been easier
But i Hope she can Beat sexa

KatjaS
Sep 14th, 2013, 10:01 AM
I don't think Schiavone on HC is such a bad draw. Sure, there were much easier opponents possible, but unless she sucks like at the USO, she should win it (I hope).

Ziva
Sep 14th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Schiavone wasn't any good lately.

The Kirilenko match should be reachable

KatjaS
Sep 16th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Andi is playing at 12:00 tomorrow on Court 2, so there should be a stream but the match is in the middle of the night in Europe.

matthias
Sep 16th, 2013, 09:59 AM
i´m on late shift
so i could watch it if i can get myself out of bed at 5am :oh:

Dorien.
Sep 16th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Good luck :p

mk27
Sep 16th, 2013, 07:42 PM
For Tokyo

MD change

Makarova OUT
(MDO)Petkovic IN

matthias
Sep 17th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Petko lost to Schiavone 1:6 6:2 4:6

that way she will leave Asia without a single win
horrible match

Danars
Sep 17th, 2013, 05:50 AM
:sad: Was it really that bad? I hope for a good draw in Tokio and Beijing. Otherwise Petkovic could have a tough time in Asia.

matthias
Sep 17th, 2013, 05:57 AM
I just saw the 3rd set
And it was up and Down but 1st set Must been really really Bad from her

Schnffy
Sep 17th, 2013, 05:59 AM
worrying :facepalm:

Demi_Hedem
Sep 17th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Tokyo and Beijing will be tougher, if she couldn't even get a win in Soel, I don't think she can win any match in the next two tournaments.
The only lucky thing is that she has no points to defend in Asia

KatjaS
Sep 17th, 2013, 06:44 AM
That's the 2nd very disappointing loss in a row, I really hoped she was on a good path and that the USO match was just a hiccup :sad:

matthias
Sep 17th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Tokyo and Beijing will be tougher, if she couldn't even get a win in Soel, I don't think she can win any match in the next two tournaments.
The only lucky thing is that she has no points to defend in Asia
THIS

That's the 2nd very disappointing loss in a row, I really hoped she was on a good path and that the USO match was just a hiccup :sad:

and THIS

CillyUltra
Sep 17th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Fog Mountain ‏@fogmount
Petkovic matches Schiavone's intensity but plays most points too far back, allowing Francesca to dictate and win, 61 26 64 in Seoul.

:(

sortof
Sep 17th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Petkovic matches Schiavone's intensity but plays most points too far back, allowing Francesca to dictate and win

Indeed, with her somewhat one-dimensional style of playing Petkovic really needs to be aggressive - perhaps a matter of confidence these days. Schiavone has definitely more possibilities to vary her game.

ozza
Sep 17th, 2013, 12:59 PM
So disappointed :sad:. I thought she had a good draw to go deep here.

KatjaS
Sep 17th, 2013, 01:43 PM
So disappointed :sad:. I thought she had a good draw to go deep here.

She did. Kirilenko, Pavs and Julia, all 3 of them slumping by various degrees, as the seeds standing between her and a final is a pleasant draw, even for an International. :(

kadiHH
Sep 17th, 2013, 02:37 PM
I just saw the 3rd set
And it was up and Down but 1st set Must been really really Bad from her

It was. She just had no rhythm to her game in the first.

Demi_Hedem
Sep 17th, 2013, 02:38 PM
firstly,she could play neither aggressively nor consistently. secondly , she lacks a little bit confidence again

Dorien.
Sep 17th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Sad she couldn't win :hug: But Schiavone is a tough player when you are not consistent and aggressive enough.
But the positive thing is it can only go better :)

novinovi
Sep 18th, 2013, 01:19 AM
I hope she can play again like she did on Wimbledon against Stephens.That was,as I can remember,her best performance in this year.Very agressive and determined to win.She is lack of confidence,she is not even 50% confident and agressive now like she was back then.

KatjaS
Sep 20th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Azarenka v BYE
Barthel v V.Williams
Petkovic v Vesnina
Pavlyuchenkova v Halep

Tough draw. :(

Demi_Hedem
Sep 20th, 2013, 08:25 AM
if she continues playing like that, easy or tough draw doesn't count

ozza
Sep 20th, 2013, 10:33 AM
It always counts. Because if you start playing well, you can go far in the right sections of this draw. This is a terrible draw. She's in among the worst players to have drawn in the entire draw.

KatjaS
Sep 22nd, 2013, 09:13 AM
Tomorrow 4th match after 11:00 on Court 3. I read somewhere that there would be pictures form 3 courts in Tokyo, but today there are no stream form Court 3 apparently, at least not of the last match there..

ozza
Sep 22nd, 2013, 09:26 AM
Tomorrow 4th match after 11:00 on Court 3. I read somewhere that there would be pictures form 3 courts in Tokyo, but today there are no stream form Court 3 apparently, at least not of the last match there..

There won't be any streams :(. There are only streams of Centre Court and Court 1.

KatjaS
Sep 22nd, 2013, 09:30 AM
Boooo. :(

They put Wozniak - Schiavone on a show court and not her match. :o

novinovi
Sep 22nd, 2013, 11:48 PM
Come on Petko!!!Vesnina is beatable.Sooner or later she needs to get back her confidence.

KatjaS
Sep 23rd, 2013, 01:02 PM
Halep it is, tomorrow 2nd after NB 14:00 on Court 1 (TV!). :)

LafandeMary
Sep 23rd, 2013, 01:09 PM
Working time in Europe, so please Petko win another match so that I can see you playing!!

But it could be a could thing, because I was only able to watch losses recently :rolleyes:

matthias
Sep 23rd, 2013, 01:43 PM
i followed her today at work again, and it was torture again

i hope Pav could beat Halep and run out of Gas against Petko, but she run out of Gas before she was able to beat Halep

Halep will be tough, but at least she won a match again

kadiHH
Sep 23rd, 2013, 02:24 PM
Great news for Petko! :cheer: :cheer:

Dorien.
Sep 23rd, 2013, 05:37 PM
Good to see she could fight herself through a match :yeah:

ozza
Sep 23rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
So happy for Petkovic :). Even though I am also a fan, Halep looked very beatable this morning. She was pretty fortunate to come through.

KatjaS
Sep 24th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Played badly and lost to an erratic Halep. :(

On to China it is..

Demi_Hedem
Sep 24th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Played badly and lost to an erratic Halep. :(

On to China it is..

I didn't watch much of the 2nd set, was that really that bad?:sad:
TBH her performance of the 1st set was ok, at least not that unacceptable

Carsten
Sep 24th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I didn't watch much of the 2nd set, was that really that bad?:sad:
TBH her performance of the 1st set was ok, at least not that unacceptable

Yes the first set was just fine, just the TB was terrible and wasting 0:30 twice when she could have won the set was really bad..

KatjaS
Sep 24th, 2013, 11:10 AM
I only watched it from 4-4, so maybe I missed the good stretches, but in my opinion Halep looked absolutely beatable from then on and she just didn't use her chances. Should have really won the first set, particularly at 6-5 (at 5-4 Halep played 2 great point after 0-30) and in the 2nd set they both played abysmal with short injections of quality.

Demi_Hedem
Sep 24th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Halep improved her performance when 5-4 in the first set, so I'm not surpriseed that petko lost the tiebreak.
If Halep plays aggressively, she don't have chances
her problems right now:
1. terrible serve as always
2. no aggression
3. no aggression & can't defend like Kerber
4. no aggression & can't defend like Kerber & chokes like Goerges

kadiHH
Sep 24th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Okay, then, on to China. I thought about staying up to watch last night, but I'm glad I chose sleep!

Dorien.
Sep 24th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Petko :sad: I was hoping she could win one more match.

ozza
Sep 27th, 2013, 07:31 AM
WTA Beijing

Petkovic vs [2] Azarenka

Dreadful draw.

KatjaS
Sep 27th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Well, f*ck. :o

Demi_Hedem
Sep 27th, 2013, 09:44 AM
watched both Petko and Vika practiced today, Petko looks good,but training quality is terrible.
Vika looked weak and sick, however the training quality still better than petko

Ziva
Sep 27th, 2013, 11:01 AM
WTA Beijing

Petkovic vs [2] Azarenka

Dreadful draw.

Have you all missed Azarenkas Tokyo performance ?

matthias
Sep 27th, 2013, 11:17 AM

have you missed Petko´s last 6 weeks performence?
and Vika might be fit again

ozza
Sep 27th, 2013, 11:30 AM

This won't necessarily help Petkovic at all. You have to assume Azarenka will be fit this week in Beijing. She had similar problems in Tokyo last year, then followed it by winning Beijing.

Ziva
Sep 27th, 2013, 11:31 AM
i can see her win this :bounce:

matthias
Sep 27th, 2013, 11:38 AM

i hope you are right

KatjaS
Sep 27th, 2013, 04:33 PM
I have 0 hope that Azarenka will not be fit.

Carsten
Sep 27th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Azarenka will be fit for sure.

I just want Petko to play a good match.

matthias
Sep 27th, 2013, 05:02 PM
i hope they play sunday, wanna watch it

novinovi
Sep 27th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Very tough draw :(.Even when she is playing bad,Vika is again better than many top 100 players.Petko is again on the same lack-of-confidence-and-agression level,so,nothing optimistic.

Poldo
Sep 27th, 2013, 07:03 PM

Never ever you would say something like this concerning Lisicki :lol:

KatjaS
Sep 28th, 2013, 11:22 AM
As expected she's not on the schedule tomorrow, the tournament giving Azarenka as much time as possible to prep.

matthias
Sep 28th, 2013, 01:12 PM
As expected she's not on the schedule tomorrow, the tournament giving Azarenka as much time as possible to prep.

damn - hoped she is gonna play sunday

KatjaS
Sep 29th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Tomorrow 2nd after NB 15:00 on Center Court.

rucolo
Sep 29th, 2013, 07:13 PM

Genauso wie Sabine Venus schlagen wird :bounce:

Never ever you would say something like this concerning Lisicki :lol:

Exactly

Ziva
Sep 30th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Told you girls :p

KatjaS
Sep 30th, 2013, 11:25 AM
On Wednesday against Kuznetsova. :bounce:

ozza
Sep 30th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Congratulations to Andrea. I thought she played great!

KatjaS
Sep 30th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Congratulations to Andrea. I thought she played great!

Really? I thought she was just slightly less bad than Azarenka. :p

ozza
Sep 30th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Really? I thought she was just slightly less bad than Azarenka. :p

Most players would have already lost by the time Azarenka started gifting the match away. Petkovic done a great job to win the first set, I know she was gifted the break, but she wasn't broken once, and Azarenka wasn't playing that badly in the first set apart from the service game she got broken in. The match will be remembered for the 3rd set, but Petkovic had to get that far to win it.

KatjaS
Sep 30th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I didn't really see the first set, so maybe that skews my view. All I care about is her winning in the end anyway. :D

~Poseidon~
Sep 30th, 2013, 12:32 PM
I hope Petko knows, what she has done here. As a good friend, she now has to go to the semis, defeating Jankovic, to help her Friend Kerber booking the Ticket to Istanbul.

Great win for Andrea.

Certain people say it was gifted by Azarenka. Well, she could have gone home, she didn't, Andrea won. Hope Vika is allright though, the last 2 tournament were pretty strange.

ozza
Sep 30th, 2013, 12:49 PM
I hope Petko knows, what she has done here. As a good friend, she now has to go to the semis, defeating Jankovic, to help her Friend Kerber booking the Ticket to Istanbul.

Great win for Andrea.

One match at a time. It's not like Petkovic even has an easy draw to get to Jankovic in the quarter finals. Very tough match next round vs Kuznetsova. I'm sure if Kerber is good enough she will make Istanbul anyway, with or without Petkovic's help.

kadiHH
Sep 30th, 2013, 02:35 PM
I love it when the first thing I see in the morning is the headline "Petkovic Stuns Azarenka In Beijing". Savor the victory Petko!

burn
Sep 30th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Congrats Andi :woohoo:
Really unexpected :worship:

Dorien.
Sep 30th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Woow such a surprise when I came home from my job :hearts:

ohnoitsmchl
Sep 30th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Unbelievable!!!! Keep going Petko!!!!!

dogwonder24
Sep 30th, 2013, 08:29 PM
I've known in the beginning that Petko can beat Vika! Such a sweet and very very very humble girl! Notice, when Azarenka entered the court, she was full of swag, confidence, while Petko was just smiling, slouching a little. Awwww :kiss: I really want to give her a hug! :) :hug:

matthias
Oct 1st, 2013, 11:53 AM
Wednesday 12.30 pm Lotus Court

Is there a Stream from Lotus ?

~Poseidon~
Oct 1st, 2013, 12:02 PM
Wednesday 12.30 pm Lotus Court

Is there a Stream from Lotus ?

It's gonna be on ran.de, they show all the womans matches from Center/Lotus.

rucolo
Oct 1st, 2013, 01:13 PM
Fantastic win against world #2 Azarenka, Andrea ! :eek: :drool: :banana:

Amazing upset. So happy for Andrea, such a huge win. Now beat Kuznetsova :devil:

sortof
Oct 2nd, 2013, 07:50 AM
Now beat Kuznetsova :devil:

That´s what she did! Overall the match against Kuznetsova wasn´t on the highest level but it was good to see that Petkovic managed to bring at some stage a bit of variety into her game with her backhand slice. Now against Safarova...

KatjaS
Oct 2nd, 2013, 07:55 AM
She won. :cheer:

I agree that it wasn't the best match she has ever played, but she is through to R3 in a PM and that's big for her. :D

CillyUltra
Oct 2nd, 2013, 08:45 AM
The usual Asia Kuzze win. :p

First P5/PM R16 since two years. :cheer:

ozza
Oct 2nd, 2013, 09:08 AM
I need to watch this.

Safarova next tomorrow.

Patrick345
Oct 2nd, 2013, 02:43 PM
She won. :cheer:

I agree that it wasn't the best match she has ever played, but she is through to R3 in a PM and that's big for her. :D

I think this is the best tournament she has played (besides Wimbledon) since coming back from her injuries. I don´t rate those MM tournaments in Nürnberg and Washington at all. She had one good win in each against post-Wimbledon depression JJ and Cornet.

She plays with depth and aggression. Yes that means more errors, but also more winners and control of the match. If you give Azarenka and Kuznetsova the time to do their thing, set their feet and play their game, you´ll just get beat. Petkovic´ technique and her movement post all those injuries is not good enough to play passive tennis, which she has done for almost the whole year. Next up red-hot Safarova and hopefully more of the same. Petko won the last three matches on hardcourts in straight sets, twice in Beijing.

Carsten
Oct 2nd, 2013, 02:50 PM
I think this is the best tournament she has played (besides Wimbledon) since coming back from her injuries. I don´t rate those MM tournaments in Nürnberg and Washington at all. She had one good win in each against post-Wimbledon depression JJ and Cornet.

She plays with depth and aggression. Yes that means more errors, but also more winners and control of the match. If you give Azarenka and Kuznetsova the time to do their thing, set their feet and play their game, you´ll just get beat. Petkovic´ technique and her movement post all those injuries is not good enough to play passive tennis, which she has done for almost the whole year. Next up red-hot Safarova and hopefully more of the same. Petko won the last three matches on hardcourts in straight sets, twice in Beijing.

I don't think that she has played passive all year. ;) It's more like she started getting very passive after she was making too many UEs in a match because she lost confidence (mostly after a 2:0/3:0 lead in a first set :tape:). And i don't think she is playing THAT agressively this week, she could do even more. But she just doesn't have the confidence yet.

Patrick345
Oct 2nd, 2013, 03:07 PM
I don't think that she has played passive all year. ;) It's more like she started getting very passive after she was making too many UEs in a match because she lost confidence (mostly after a 2:0/3:0 lead in a first set :tape:). And i don't think she is playing THAT agressively this week, she could do even more. But she just doesn't have the confidence yet.

My definition of aggression would also include depth of shot and placement. Doesn´t mean outright winners necessarily. For most of the year, much like Kerber everything went short and central. If you play short, slow and centrally you are not beating Vika AND Sveta back-to-back no matter how bad their form or good your defense is.

Loveangelnr1
Oct 2nd, 2013, 03:43 PM
:cheer: YAY Andrea

Loveangelnr1
Oct 2nd, 2013, 04:02 PM
That smog is making Andrea sick :awww:

http://twitpic.com/dfqlo4

Petkovic has suffered from headache the last few days but hopefully will feel better after rest

rucolo
Oct 2nd, 2013, 07:42 PM
Excellent win against Kuznetsova, Andrea ! :bounce:

Strong to beat Azarenka and Kuznetsova in a row. Viel Glück vs Safarova ;)

rucolo
Oct 2nd, 2013, 07:45 PM
"This is the first tournament that I've been able to really keep up my intensity and keep up my focus. I think I've played two good matches," Petkovic said. "Personally it's really important to see that I can still beat the players on the top level, two past Grand Slam champions. It's just a big boost for my confidence, no matter what happens now in the future. So I've been really satisfied with my game."

So happy for Andrea :)

Dorien.
Oct 2nd, 2013, 08:07 PM
So amazing she could win against Kuznetsova too :hearts: This must be great for her confidence :)

Danars
Oct 3rd, 2013, 04:29 PM
Really close match that she lost today :sad: Both players played a great match, but in the end Petkovic made a lot of mistakes :sad:

But after her lose against Schiavone in Seoul I was really worried about Tokio and Beijing so I am glad she won some points in Asia :)

KatjaS
Oct 3rd, 2013, 04:38 PM
Yes, overall the tournament was a success and Lucie was just a little bit better. But even with the points from Luxembourg and Pune last year off she is now going to be ranked ~50 at the end of the year and she still has the chance to score points in L&L. She's in a good position to go into full attack mode next year. :)

rucolo
Oct 3rd, 2013, 05:46 PM
Andrea :hug:

No shame losing to Safarova. The tournament was a step in the right direction :yeah:

Dorien.
Oct 3rd, 2013, 06:35 PM
Sad she lost such a close one :hug: but what a great week :)

rucolo
Oct 4th, 2013, 06:52 PM
http://www.wtatennis.com/videos/article/3478647/title/beijing-petkovic-interview

Nice interview :)