PDA

View Full Version : When did Venus start using the Wilson racquet?

jean_genie
Mar 2nd, 2003, 01:21 AM
I was watching the '97 USOpen semi between the 17 year old Queen and Irina Spirlea and noticed that Venus played with a Yonex racquet. Now I know that she's had the Reebok deal since she was about 11 or 12, but when did she pick up Wilson? Anybody????

locks
Mar 2nd, 2003, 03:39 AM
I think sometime in 98 but I'll have to check :wavey:

TM
Mar 3rd, 2003, 12:59 AM
http://www.venustennis.com/us992.jpg

this is from usopen 1998 (it's a wilson, look @ the butt end of the handle)

so i think locks is right. in 99 she used the "skunk" racquet (like serena's new one but the original) i remember coz she lost to hingis in that usopen semi in a thrilling 3setter. and the sisterz won the doubles the day after against sandrine and chanda.

remember when days were like that? :o

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:09 AM
Does anyone know when Venus changed her 4.3 raquet to the 4.0? I plan to get it too. I already have the 4.3 and it is great, I feel a lot of power coming off of the raquet...I think the 4.0 has more control.

TM
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:40 AM
wimbledon 2002

the last time the sisters used their 6.3s,4.3s wuz @ roland garros

fact: RG was the only slam serena won with the 6.3.

neato :wavey:

TM
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:41 AM
I already have the 4.3 and it is great, I feel a lot of power coming off of the raquet...I think the 4.0 has more control.

u too??!! wow. ditto for me.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:36 AM
:wavey: TM...thanks for answering my question...I watched all of the Williams matches that they played and all of a sudden I notice Venus new raquet. No one talked about it. I heard someone mention Serena's new raquet and that is all I heard about a raquet change. I think it was the Acura Classic, where I finally noticed Vee's new raquet. I am so blind. :)

jean_genie
Mar 6th, 2003, 01:54 AM
I have the 4.3 but I can't play with it. It's got a lot of good qualities, but I need a control racquet and the 4.3 is SO powerful that I end up spraying balls. :)