PDA

View Full Version : Eastbourne gets new sponsor

bluepastures
Feb 25th, 2003, 07:44 PM
The new sponsor for Eastbourne WTA tournament for 2003 and 2004 will be Hastings Direct insurance (who also sponsor the British Tour events).

Tickets go on sale on 10/03 and I've been told, that court 1 will NOT require separate tickets for weekly ticket holders, which it did last year. This of course resulted in Jelena Dokic being watched by almost empty stands in her defeat there.

Monica_Rules
Feb 25th, 2003, 08:18 PM
LOL!

Shame i can't go stupid exams!

Caz
Feb 25th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the info! :D Hopefully I'll get to go to the first couple of days this year. It's such a nice tourney.

bluepastures
Feb 26th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Do you mean the first two days of MD or qualifying? Qualifying is Saturday - Sunday (sometimes stretches into Monday) and is definitely well worth attending. Last year, the top qualifying seed was Elena Likhovtseva, then world-ranked about 40.
I'll be there the whole week, as for the last 2 years.

Caz
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:03 PM
I'm not too sure yet. I'm planning on going to a few days of Birmingham too, so it kind of depends on what days I end up going there, but I might try and catch the qualifying. Eastbourne's only 1 1/2 hours by train for me, so I tend to just see how I feel. I've been for at least a day trip most years though!

bluepastures
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:11 PM
I'm just going to the qualifying of Birmingham (which at Birmingham is free, if I remember correctly) this year on the Saturday and Sunday. Funnily enough, one of my friends who always spends the whole week in Eastbourne, also comes from Woking.

JoeyWinson3.0
Feb 26th, 2003, 11:59 PM
I'm going to NONE, cos me damn manager and assistant booked their holidays first, without telling us we could actually start to pick our holidays, conveniently they have booked them around the grass court season and Glastonbury, leaving me to work. Bah.

Caz
Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:25 PM
bluepastures - Really? It' a small world, maybe I know them!! I'll probably be going to the first few days of the main draw of Birmingham and then I'm not sure yet about Eastbourne. Last year was the first year I went to Birmingham and, despite the terrible weather, I had a great time - Gallofa and I managed to find ways to amuse ourselves during the *long* rain delays! I still can't believe how small the tourney is though! ;)

bluepastures
Mar 2nd, 2003, 01:34 PM
The guy who I know from Woking is called Graham.

About, Birmingham, it does have a great draw, but like you say it feels "small". Indeed, organisation-wise it's no better than a challenger. Orders of play were rarely available before the play actually started! Also the view of 3 of the 4 outer courts is pretty poor, with the only option being sitting high up on the grass bank at one end.
Anyway, Eastbourne's a lot nicer to stay in for a week, than Birmingham is! I expect Lindsay Davenport to come back to attempt to win the title she won in 2001. Amelie has entered the last two years, but pulled out. Hantuchova will certainly play, as will defending champion Rubin. What I really hope is that some of the young Russians like Safina and Kuznetsova come and play there.

bluepastures - Really? It' a small world, maybe I know them!! I'll probably be going to the first few days of the main draw of Birmingham and then I'm not sure yet about Eastbourne. Last year was the first year I went to Birmingham and, despite the terrible weather, I had a great time - Gallofa and I managed to find ways to amuse ourselves during the *long* rain delays! I still can't believe how small the tourney is though! ;)

paul_masterton
Mar 4th, 2003, 05:59 PM
i'm hopefully gonna be able to attend Birmingham on Sunday Monday and Tuesday unless i have exams.

I've been invited to attend Eastbroune, but it's a very long journey from edinburgh to there! PLus, being a bit odd, i'd rather go to watch teh Wimbledon Qualifying in Roehampton, lol!

Would love to go to 1st 2 days of Wimbledon, but it's my last week of school ever! So i really ahve to go :sad:

Caz - can u recommend anywhere cheap for a 17 year old to stay on their tod for a couple of days in Birmingham?

bluepastures
Mar 4th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Paul, I'd go and have a look at www.superbreak.com. You could stay at the Comfort Inn, on Hagley Road (less than two miles from the tennis) for about 22 pounds per night B&B.

I'll be staying at the Wetherspoon lodge in the city centre for about £40 per night.

"Caz - can u recommend anywhere cheap for a 17 year old to stay on their tod for a couple of days in Birmingham"

paul_masterton
Mar 4th, 2003, 08:26 PM
thanks Jon :)

*trying to work if if i can be bothered walking 2 miles. Remembers Lucie will playing and decides yes*

bluepastures
Mar 4th, 2003, 09:09 PM
Birmingham is excellent for buses. I'm sure you'll be able to get one taking you at least most of the way there.

Caz
Mar 4th, 2003, 10:59 PM
Paul - I'll be staying at the Beechwood Hotel. I shared a room last year there for £25 per person, per night. The hotel literally backs onto the tennis club and is just a couple of minutes walk to the nearest bus stop! If you want their tel. no. PM me and I'll give it to you.

bulepastures - Well, I don't know your friend, but still it's a small world!! ;) As for Birmingham, lol, yeah we spent a lot of time watching matches on those outside courts! You kind of feel like you should take your own deck chair!! Still, I had a great time there! Did you have any of the crepes? They were gorgeous!! Esp. the apple and cinnemon ones!! :p

tim4
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Well, during those two weeks, I'm torn between Edgbaston, Eastbourne, and Wimbledon quallies. I've not been to Eastbourne for a couple of years now, but do like it. Edgbaston is quite small and friendly, I agree, and some of my favourites usually play there (if only in quallies). Let's hope the weather behaves this time!! - then a quick dash up the M5 should be worth it just to see the Brits (and my other faves) lose, but then again some of them may even win!!

bluepastures
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Mmm, I do remember those crepes. Still, there's only so long you can make them last whilst waiting for the rain to stop!!! And the catering facilities in general are very, very poor. Just one marquee (which half is reserved for LTA officials), and a couple of vans.

Friendly, Edgbaston, possibly, but the officials up there (with the exception of Anne Jones) are exceptionally unhelpful.

It is annoying the clash between EBN and Wimbledon qualies, I really would like to go to both! My only visit to Roehampton will be for the first day of the Grade 1 junior tournament the day before Wimby starts.
I'm already using 2 weeks of holiday for Berlin & Rome.

paul_masterton
Mar 6th, 2003, 05:43 PM
do i need to buy tickets in advance fro monday through thursday? or can i buy them on site?

Caz
Mar 6th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Paul - Well, last year I bought mine in advance, (but only like a week or two in advance), but judging by the number of empty seats, I wouldn't think that was necessary.

bluepastures - lol! No, the crepes didn't last *that* long! There was *so* much rain! ;)

paul_masterton
Mar 6th, 2003, 07:45 PM
ok thanks :)

Now if it's pi**ing down with rain, and u see a ranwom 17 year old with a Scottish accent please come over and keep me company, lol! :p

Booking accomodation next week :D Just need to decide whether to fly down or go by train. If i fly i might be able to catch most of Sunday.

paul_masterton
Mar 6th, 2003, 09:16 PM
that's me booked. It's months away and im already really excited. My first ever wta event :D:D

I'll be arriving saturday the 7th, and staying for 6 nights, leaving on Saturday.

So Edinburgh 10k for a week in May, then some exams, then Birmingham, then finsih school forever!! :D:D:D

bluepastures
Mar 6th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Will you be getting there early enough to see most of the Saturday's qualifying play, Paul? Just had a look at the train website for you, and if you got the 07:38 out of Edinburgh, you'd get into Birmingham at 12:06, and you'd still make it for most of the day's matches. The 06:30 is MUCH slower and would only get you in at 12:00.

tim4
Mar 6th, 2003, 10:16 PM
I should have mentioned in my earlier posting that quallies at Edgbaston are free. At Eastbourne (the original title of this thread !!) I don't know as I've only been there during main draw. For either, though, I've never booked in advance, just turned up and paid on the day, but for centre court at Eastbourne I believe tickets sell out quite fast.
Someone said Birmingham is good for buses. Good for trains, too, from just about anywhere in the country. New Street is about 2 miles from the tournament venue, so one of the aforementioned buses should do the trick.
Only 3 months to go!

bluepastures
Mar 6th, 2003, 10:25 PM
No, qualifying is not free at Eastbourne, but it's a much better view than Birmingham, as you can sit right next to any of the outer courts. The qualifying weekend is extremely well attended at Eastbourne (much more so than Birmingham) but you can definitely still buy tickets on the day.

You're right, centre-court could well sell out for later on in the week, but not THAT quickly, I didn't book my weekly ticket until several weeks after they were released last year

paul_masterton
Mar 7th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Bp i might be flying down. Coz my dad has tons of airmiles so if i can fly wihtout him having to be there i'll do that.

Does play start at 10am for qualies?

So do u think i'll get away with turning up at the venue on Monday/Tues/Wed/Thurs without a ticket? I'll just be able to buy one 'at the door' as it were.

I'm so excited.

I got 6 nights at comfort in for £142.40, would of been cheaper but coz my stay includes mon-thurs have to pay a supplement. My dad looked at the hotel on a different web-site, put in teh smae dates and it said it woud cost £350!!

I got a great deal :D

bluepastures
Mar 7th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Last year it was 11am start on the Saturday and Sunday with the intended first day order being 16 matches across 4 courts. Being grass, they are VERY unlikely to start earlier than that.
I think you should be okay Monday - Thursday without a pre-purchased ticket. Certainly there was lots of space last year. You may well be able to buy all your individual days tickets in one go on the Saturday, Sunday or Monday anyway.

[QUOTE='paul_masterton']Bp i might be flying down. Coz my dad has tons of airmiles so if i can fly wihtout him having to be there i'll do that.

Does play start at 10am for qualies?

So do u think i'll get away with turning up at the venue on Monday/Tues/Wed/Thurs without a ticket? I'll just be able to buy one 'at the door' as it were.

-Sonic-
Mar 19th, 2003, 02:09 AM
oooh i stayed in a comfort inn in brum before...

and bugger, EB tickets have been on sale for ages, i better do that when i wake up tomorrow...

Monica_Rules
Mar 19th, 2003, 09:58 AM
I'd love to go to both events and wimbledon but i have stupid exams!