PDA

View Full Version : Rubin Rises In Scottsdale

Sonja
Feb 25th, 2003, 05:16 PM
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=7992&bannerregion=

http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/CHANDA_profile1.jpg

By Brad Falkner
02/25/2003

The elevation in Scottsdale made Chanda Rubin feel as if she were playing in rare air. After a slow start, Rubin lifted her level of play in rising to a 6-3, 6-1 rout of compatriot Jill Craybas in last night's opening round of the State Farm Classic.

Six days after celebrating her 27th birthday, the Lafayette, Louisiana native displayed her all-court gifts in wrapping up a routine victory.

"I got off to a slow start because it was my first match in a few weeks," said Rubin, who reached the Tokyo semifinals in her last tournament three weeks ago. "I started watching the ball better in the second set, and found my rhythm. The court is playing a little slow."

Though court conditions are slow, the balls are flying fast due to the elevation of the event and Rubin took advantage by unloading some flat forehands that Craybas could not always chase down.

"The air is a little thinner here because of the altitude," Rubin said. "These are good playing conditions for tennis. I am from Lousiana and these are much different conditions."

Sidelined for several months last season after undergoing knee surgery in January, Rubin made a triumphant return to tennis, capturing two tournament titles, including beating top-ranked Serena Williams last summer, and pushed Venus Williams to three sets in a thoroughly entertaining U.S. Open loss. A talented player too often slowed by injuries, Rubin has spent recent weeks working on her conditioning.

"I want to improve on my fitness," Rubin said. "I really kicked it (practice) up during the last few weeks."

Tennis Week.com writer Brad Falkner is in Scottsdale covering the State Farm Women's Tennis Classic for this site. Please visit this site daily for Brad's reports.

mauresmofan
Feb 25th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Thanks fellow momosapian Sonja Good Article - Keep it going Chanda!

Brian Stewart
Feb 25th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Thanks, Sonja, for that non-evil post. :)

I hope Chanda continues to rise in Scottsdale. Here's hoping she and Momo have a healthy 2003. (My team needs them.)

Linnie
Feb 25th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Thanks for posting, Sonja ;) And Brian, AMEN to that! :D

King Aaron
Feb 26th, 2003, 01:53 PM

Libertango
Feb 26th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the article. Glad to hear Chanda has been working on her fitness. Go Chanda!!! :D

Lee-Waters' Boy
Feb 27th, 2003, 12:41 AM
Rubin this week in Scottsdale

Lee-Waters' Boy
Feb 27th, 2003, 12:42 AM
Iv'e got some from her match with Craybas I'll post later.

Brian Stewart
Feb 27th, 2003, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the pics, Zē!