PDA

View Full Version : Lena loses 1-6 4-6 to Schiavone...

Leena
Feb 24th, 2003, 10:00 PM
This was such a bad loss for Lena. :sad:

Do you think she will regress to the form she had in 2001?

Was this match just a fluke?

Will Lena continue to play so inconsistently throughout her entire career?

I just hope she's not injured, or something's wrong with her... because this loss is mind-boggling to me.

snoop
Feb 24th, 2003, 10:07 PM
This is really a terrible loss :sad: :sad: and to Schiavone :mad:
Never thought that this could happen :(

No need to worry, Elena is on the right way and she will prove it :)

Gowza
Feb 24th, 2003, 10:59 PM
it was a very bad loss. i was hoping elena would reach the top 15 this week. with the help of vera it could have been pretty easy but both of them lost.

xan
Feb 25th, 2003, 02:52 AM
Another of my faves lost!

Not a good week.

Lena is always very much a "touch" player. It seems her shots are either winners or bad losers. Must have been the latter today. :mad:

LeonHart
Feb 25th, 2003, 04:59 AM
From WTATOUR.com

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- Seventh-seeded Elena Bovina lost to Francesca Schiavone of Italy 6-1, 6-4 Monday in the first round of the State Farm Women's Tennis Classic.

It was Schiavone's first victory over the Russian teenager in four meetings.

"I'm obviously disappointed to lose in the first round, but I think I just made too many unforced errors," Bovina said.

In other action, sixth-seeded Eleni Daniilidou defeated Vera Zvonareva of Russia 6-2, 6-3. Daniilidou broke Zvonareva three times in each set and needed only 52 minutes to improve her 2003 singles record to 13-4.

"On the important points, I was exactly there today," Daniilidou said. "The first round is always the toughest. It was windy; you can really feel it on the court."

Bovina beat Schiavone in three sets at Indian Wells in 2001 and twice in straight sets last year -- at Los Angeles and the U.S. Open.

This time, she shook off a poor first set to break Schiavone in the first game of the second on the way to a 3-1 lead. After Schiavone won twice to tie it, Bovina broke back, taking the game with a tough drop shot.

But the Italian regained her composure and won the last three games when Bovina double-faulted at the end of the eighth and returned a short backhand into the net on match point.

"She was playing better," Schiavone said about the second set. "She played worse in the first set. At the end she tried to do what she can do, but it was too late. I was there like an animal to kill her."

Defending champion Serena Williams, Kim Clijsters, Lindsay Davenport and Jelena Dokic, the top four seeded players, all have first-round byes.

:eek:

Leena
Feb 25th, 2003, 05:03 AM
Heh... I read that. I like Francesca's attitude there. :) But, I think Lena killed herself more than Schiavone did...

King Aaron
Feb 25th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Lena :sad:

I think it's a minor bleep for her. She put up more of a fight in the second and it's a good sign.

TatiAnnahølic
Feb 25th, 2003, 02:51 PM
what a bad Loss Lena :o :sad: :sad: :sad:

Leena
Feb 25th, 2003, 04:46 PM
I think it's more than a minor bleep.

Don't get me wrong, Schiavone is a good, solid top-40 player... but even on her best day, Schiavone may annoy her with her variety of shots and mobility... but Lena will dictate play, and the result is nearly entirely up to her.

In their match at the Open, Lena won 7-6 6-4... and she played far from perfect, made many errors.

If Lena is going to get in the Top 10... you don't lose to a player like Schiavone, who doesn't have nearly enough weapons to match her. Losing 1-6, 4-6 shows Lena has a long, long, LONG way to go. She has to be much more consistent.

King Aaron
Feb 26th, 2003, 02:20 PM
A long way to go? Maybe. Every player has a bad day. Remember Serena and Loit's match? Lena needs to be able to win matches when she's struggling or find a way to win matches when things are not right. Serena did that at the Australian Open. I would say a long way to go, yes but not a long, long, LONG way to go.

King Aaron
Feb 26th, 2003, 02:26 PM
A long way to go? Maybe. Every player has a bad day. Remember Serena and Loit's match? Lena needs to be able to win matches when she's struggling or find a way to win matches when things are not right. Serena did that at the Australian Open. I would say a long way to go, yes but not a long, long, LONG way to go.