PDA

View Full Version : What are Venus' plans

locks
Feb 21st, 2003, 05:47 PM
What will the Queen play Scottsdale perhaps or maybe IW:eek:. Any thoughts

Personally wish that she would play both tournaments :o

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :kiss: :kiss: :hearts: :kiss:

CanIGetAWhat
Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:12 AM
What's Venus' next tournament after Miami? :confused: Amelia Island? Hamburg?

Does anyone have any idea which tournaments she's playing this spring?

C'mon Venus, hold onto that No. 2 ranking and keep Kim at bay :)

Venus Forever
Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:14 AM
Normally, her next tournament after Miami is Amelia Island, but she hasn't committed yet.

Actually, she hasn't committed to anything after Miami, yet.

BTW, Hamburg is no longer a tournament.;) Warsaw took over the Tier 2 that week.

CanIGetAWhat
Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:15 AM
And I call myself a Venus fan :o If you were to speculate, do you think Venus will play Warsaw?

Venus sure is being secretive this year. We had no clue as to when she had arrived in Australia prior to the Oz Open, a few days or a week :eek:

Venus Forever
Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:18 AM
I believe Venus' next tournament will either be Amelia Island OR Charleston with Serena. My bet is on Amelia Island.

Warsaw, I don't know if she will play because it is the week after Fed Cup, which she is playing.

But then, Fed Cup is after Amelia Island, so she may not play there either.

Venus is just very secretive, I wonder what she will do.

CanIGetAWhat
Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:23 AM
I hope so. Miami will be her only third tournament of the year. If she were to lose the No. 2 ranking, I guess I'll live with that. I only want her and Serena to be the top two seeds for the rest of the slams.

If playing less makes her happy, that's cool with me.

tennisIlove09
Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:30 AM
Should Kim take over #2, it would show the flaw in the ranking system once more.

Personally, I think Venus is has shown that she will beat Serena this year. I believe "outside forces" caused her to lose the Aussie. But the fact that she took Serena to three, and she challenged Serena at the Diamond Games, proves to me, that she will beat Serena this year. That's all the matters...is that Venus starts winning the matches again, and winning the majors.

To me, the ranking doesn't matter. The system has been a joke since 1999.

Hopefully, she'll play Amelia Island AND FCC! She needs more tier one's

1jackson2001
Feb 23rd, 2003, 07:18 AM
I would like her to play more..especially see her on tv!

Kimumwe
Feb 24th, 2003, 02:33 PM
I think she needs to play more tournaments by the look of things Kim might surpass her by May. I mean the difference in points is now only 1,000

Serendy Willick
Feb 26th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Heres what I think may be happening, Venus may be letting that number two spot go for only the smaller tourneys so that she can have a chance to get some quality points. For example if Venus is the number three seed at lets say the Italian Open (note: most of these tournement directors do the draws outside with many people watching so it is not a guarentee that the minuite that Venus gets bumped to number three that the sisters will be in the same draw. The draws have to be fair, rigging and rigging and rigging the draw till you get what you want is only gonna make the tournement look stupid.) If Venus wins the Italian Open beating the top two seeds (like Serena did in many of her tournements last year) that is buku points. Do this for about four or five tourneys and your spot is on lock. Hell if she wins at least one slam beating number three and number one seeds than she will be just fine. Just a prediction.

tennisIlove09
Feb 27th, 2003, 06:40 AM
I don't think Venus cares about the rankings. And really, why should she? the ranking system has showed flaws since 1999, and it continues to do so. If Venus falls, she falls. The only thing that matters is that she gets over giving matches to Serena, and starts winning the slams again. Rankings be damned, IMO.

joao
Mar 2nd, 2003, 05:57 AM
Because of Fed Cup, Venus will stay in the States at least until late april so my guess is that she will play one clay-court american tournament before that. Serena is defending FCC so Venus will probably defend Amelia ISland. She hasn't commited yet but she still has time. But if she plays Amelia Island, she probably won't play Warsaw cuz that would mean 3 consecutive weeks. And if one thing is clear is that Venus is definitely cutting her schedule ... I expect her to play one less clay event this year compared with last year.

My guess of her schedule leading to the french:

Miami
2 weeks of rest
Amelia Island
Fed cup
2 weeks of rest
Rome
1 week of rest
RG

With this kind of schedule, her #2 ranking will still be safe. Kim is 1000 pts behind and even if she wins Scottsdale tomorrow (250 pts), IW (400 pts at best cuz she'll be the highest seed) and reaches the SF in Miami (200 pts but she defends 101 there), that would still leave Kim some 300 pts behind Venus. After that, I expect Kim going back to Europe (she will have played for 4 weeks non-stop). In Europe, she will lose her pts from hamburg cuz the tournament has been canceled. She was defending champion so she will lose more pts than Venus. But I expect Kim playing Warsaw to compensate, then Berlin (no pts to defend) and Rome (defending 200 pts). I don't think she will overcome Venus by RG.

After RG, the story could be different though ... Venus has a lot more pts (600) to defend than Kim (88 pts). So if Venus doesn't win Rome or RG, she could lose her #2 ranking after RG! :sad: She will definitely lose it after Wimbledon if somehow doesn't win at least 1 GS! kim has only 40 pts to defend there ...

I'm sure Venus is aware of that ...

tennisIlove09
Mar 2nd, 2003, 07:18 AM
Do you think Venus is *trying* to lose her #2 ranking? It would mean more bonus points every time she beats Kim, and or Serena. She could go back to the days of beating #1, #2 in the slams [as she did in both 2000 Wimbledon and US Open's]

locks
Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:56 PM
Do you think Venus is *trying* to lose her #2 ranking?

Good question.

joao
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Do you think Venus is *trying* to lose her #2 ranking? It would mean more bonus points every time she beats Kim, and or Serena. She could go back to the days of beating #1, #2 in the slams [as she did in both 2000 Wimbledon and US Open's]

I think Venus fans worry more about Venus's ranking than Venus herself ... but I don't think Venus doesn't care about it though ... she's still safe at #2, and if Kim keeps playing like she does, Venus won't be threatened until Wimbledon! And as long as she reaches finals or wins the events she enters, Kim will have no chance at all! :)

tennisIlove09
Mar 6th, 2003, 07:49 AM
I think Venus fans worry more about Venus's ranking than Venus herself ... but I don't think Venus doesn't care about it though ... she's still safe at #2, and if Kim keeps playing like she does, Venus won't be threatened until Wimbledon! And as long as she reaches finals or wins the events she enters, Kim will have no chance at all! :)

I agree. Venus has stated before that she really doesn't care about the rankings. She just plays her game, whether she's #1 or #300