PDA

View Full Version : Evie now ranked number 2 in Australia

AUSBOY
Feb 19th, 2003, 03:28 AM
Cant remember if she has been 2nd ranked Aussie or not. Her form is crap though and shes gonna need to turns things around pretty soon or she will find herself outside the top 120 again after the French Open

TS
Feb 19th, 2003, 04:54 AM
I think she was no.2 briefly in 2001 (for like a week or so afte Indian Wells)...you're right, if she doesn't pick things up soon her ranking will slide after Paris. But still, it's early days yet...

louloubelle
Feb 20th, 2003, 01:55 AM
Was the Oz Open run just luck??? How was her form at the open because I didn't see her, just saw the results.

Disapointing because she's been nailed quite badly in the last three weeks, only scoring a victory over an Indian wildcard (no offense) and even that went three.

I feel she hasn't played well for over a year. Her French run was good, but that wasn't a sustained effort over period of weeks.

SM
Feb 25th, 2003, 01:28 PM
She served for the match at Sydney against Panova, who beat Capriati to make the semis! So atleast in australia she produced some fine tennis

as for the recent losses, things will change on clay. her game is suited to it.

Gowza
Feb 25th, 2003, 11:10 PM
the oz run wasn't luck, she made the 3rd round in 2001 as well.

she's been to the 3rd round of the french open and second round before. she als o reached the second round at the us open at that is the only time she has played there.

i don't think it is a fluke. she has the game to be up there, she just doesn't put it all together often enough. her serve can be a weapon, at the oz open this year she consistently got in the low 170 kph so thats prett big. her groundies could use a bit more power and maybe be a bit flatter. but she does have a pretty good game.

louloubelle
Feb 27th, 2003, 05:01 AM
Being an Evie fan I'm hoping for things to come good.

I was impressed by her form in the 2000 Aus satelittes and her results in that year. I don't think she's moved on from then.

Since then she's had scattered good performances, however they are usually backed by indifferent ones. Tho I'm not sure whether this can be just put to inconsistency.

I feel her game has moved into a 'safe' mode. (Judging by the Panova match I saw and a friends report of her Aus Open run who said that Evie benefited greatly from being more consistent than Rittner and Kremer)
She's got a weapon in that serve but after that there are some holes, general agression and the ability to hit out and not play safe is one thing she needs to work on.
I wouldn't say it's just a case of pulling an agressive game together. It's a case of pushing her game to a higher level of agression so she's not dictated to.

However she was till able to nudge the top 60 at one point so obviously if she can improve then this is again a possibility. I did recall her saying that during the Rittner match she was telling herself to just keep hitting out. So hopefully she's working on it.

auah5
Mar 3rd, 2003, 11:55 AM
:wavey:
Yup....
No worries...
Evie is fine, guys!!
SHe has been working so hard lately with also her younger sister.
I saw her practising this morning in kingsford, sydney.
I saw as well her this afternoon...
:eek: oh my god.. how many hours she practises everyday, i wonder...
=)
she is nice girl..
;)
good luck, evie..!!
:bounce:

SM
Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:12 PM
hi auah5!

nice to see both sisters working hard and hopefully getting lots out of it. Seems daniella is in good form having qualified for bendigo for both singles and doubles. :)

Elleke
Mar 15th, 2003, 08:02 AM
:wavey:auah5
thanks for the info!
Good Luck Evie!

TS
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:21 AM
Well she's now back to 3 after her no show at Indian Wells...and now just outside the top 100 after failing to defend second round points in Miami.

She had a good tough win over in-form Obziler in qualies but I was very disappointed in her tame effort against Schaul. Anyway as you all know Evie got in as a LL and took it to Bartoli, up a set and a break (serving for it and 6-5!)...but Evie choked to lose the TB and got belted in the final set :( Must've been tough in the heat so I wont be too hard on her (and also she was literally on court without much prep). Hopefully she can take something from this match and build on it (i.e I can match it with big hitters). The thing is with Evie...stick her in a main draw and she just might win a few matches...but heaven forbid she comes through qualifying. Good luck in Sarasota.

nitocris_tiger
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:25 PM
I'd like your opinions on whether Evie will be in the main draw of the French Open or have to go through qualifying.

I'm wanting to book my flights to Paris but am not sure if I should be going a week earlier for the qualifying. Hopefully it will just be the main draw, if only because it will be so much cheaper for me!!

ozfan44
Apr 1st, 2003, 04:19 AM
march 31st
evie has dropped outside the top 100 in singles from 95 to 104
and from 80 to 85 in doubles

Vicky88
Apr 1st, 2003, 05:59 AM
Actually I think Evie needs to work on the mental aspect of her game if she is really going to progress. So many matches she wins the 1st set then loses the match. Same as when she choked against Panova in Sydney. If she can conquer this aspect of her game no reason why she can't be within Top 60 at least.

ozfan44
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:23 AM
even when she is up she gets too shitty about things when she stuffs something up or misses a winner. she needs to get over it and forget it.