PDA

View Full Version : Monica still in pain

mishar
Feb 18th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Seles Eases Into Last Eight in Dubai
Tue February 18, 2003 01:03 PM ET
By Barry Wood

DUBAI (Reuters) - Monica Seles reached the quarter-finals of the Dubai Open Tuesday, shrugging aside a troublesome ankle to beat Italy's Francesca Schiavone 6-3 6-2.

Having broken to lead 2-0 with the aid of several acutely angled groundstrokes, Seles then lost the next 10 points.

But she settled again, broke to lead 5-4 when Schiavone double-faulted and served out for the first set.

In the second set, although fourth-seeded Seles failed to convert a break point at 1-1, she forced a baseline error to break for 3-2 and struck a fierce crosscourt backhand winner to break again for 5-2.

"I'm not playing my best tennis of my career, so I'm just happy to win today," she said.

"I've been making a lot of unforced errors and just trying to do my best. I still feel a little bit of pain on the ankle I injured in Australia."

I've sprained my ankle before, and it does take a long time to fully heal or feel normal again. :sad: :fiery: :(

Mase
Feb 18th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Poor Monica, hang in there!!!!!!

Chance
Feb 19th, 2003, 01:14 AM
Why does Monica continue to play in pain? I know she has to defend points but still I thnk Monica should have given her ankle more time to recover.

Leena
Feb 19th, 2003, 01:19 AM
Ankle sprains can vary in severity... obviously this one must be pretty bad if it's bothering her for over a month now. I don't see the reason why she needs to play a tourney like Dubai.

disposablehero
Feb 19th, 2003, 02:52 AM
I had no idea. I didn't even really think it would be a factor last week. Must be a pretty bad sprain, much worse than the one she had in 2000.

Love-seles
Feb 19th, 2003, 03:20 AM
she took a nasty twist with her ankle this year at the AO. SHE SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING IF ITS BOTHERING HER AT ALL..

HotSpot
Feb 19th, 2003, 04:38 AM
take more rest Monica....

Jakub
Feb 19th, 2003, 05:21 AM
Please Monica take a rest :sad:

rfs1999
Feb 19th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Good luck!