PDA

View Full Version : Will Venus Change Her Mind And Play Here?

lizchris
Feb 17th, 2003, 02:51 PM
She pulls out of Dubai, stating that she is adjusting her schedule to play every two weeks. Now that would mean the next tournament for her would be Scottsdale, but we know she isn't playing there because Serena is, so the next tournament up is Indian Wells. I know she and her sister say they are never playing there again because of the treatment they got there in 2001, but I also know that Venus doesn't play many Tier I tournaments. This year I expect her to play Nasdaq-100, Italian Open, and the Acura Classic(which has been upgraded to a Tier I tournament). Serena is already committed to play at least 4 Tier I tournaments and if Venus wants to get back to number one, she must play more Tier I's. I am holding out hope that she will play here because after last year, that tournament needs some excitment.

DD
Feb 17th, 2003, 04:02 PM
i dont want to see her play here. they dont need each other. Venus rest and prepare for a titanic final with baby sis in miami.

Jericho
Feb 17th, 2003, 04:57 PM
i dont think venus will play unless shes not playing miami...and as far as i know acura has not been upgraded to tier 2...

lizchris
Feb 17th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by iLuVenuSerena
i dont think venus will play unless shes not playing miami...and as far as i know acura has not been upgraded to tier 2...

Well, I know she is playing Miami because all of the top women have committed to play there. If you look at the schedule at WTATour.com, The Acrua Classic has been upgraded to a Tier IB status, which makes it a Tier I tournament.

Jericho
Feb 17th, 2003, 05:40 PM
what i am saying is that she wont play indian wells because she is playing miami and she wont wanna play 4 weeks in a row, that is unless she skips miami which she wont...the wta listed the acura as tier 2A...

Volcana
Feb 20th, 2003, 05:17 PM
lizchris - I disagree with you on two vital points.

Venus didn't say she was adjusting her schedule to play every two weeks. The Dubai organiers said that.

Venus didn't say she'd never play Indian Wells again. In fact, she said she like the tournament and might play there again 'in a few years'.

That said, I don't think she'll be there this year. Or next.